• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas bill restricting insurance coverage for abortions nears approval

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

A Texas bill that would restrict insurance coverage for abortions was approved by the state's Republican-controlled House of Representatives on Wednesday, a move critics called cruel and damaging to women's health.

The House measure would ban insurance coverage for abortions and require women who wanted coverage to purchase a supplemental plan for an abortion, the latest effort by the most-populous Republican-controlled state to place restrictions on the procedure.

The Republican-dominated Senate has passed a similar bill, and Republican Governor Greg Abbott has shown support for the measures.

The bill's backers say it would protect abortion opponents from subsidizing the procedure. A Democratic critic decried it as forcing people to buy "rape insurance."

"It's a question of economic freedom and freedom in general," Republican Representative John Smithee, the bill's sponsor, said in House debate on Tuesday ahead of the bill receiving preliminary approval.

The Republican sponsor of the Senate bill, Brandon Creighton, has told local media supplemental coverage would cost $12 to $80 a year.

Idaho, Kansas and Oklahoma are among the 10 other states that make abortion coverage a supplement on private plans. There are 25 states with restrictions on abortion coverage in plans set up by state exchanges as part of the Affordable Care Act under former Democratic President Barack Obama, according to the Guttmacher Institute, which tracks such legislation.

I don't like having to use my tax money to subsidize rural Republicans who need welfare. Can I have economic freedom from them, just like they want economic freedom from "subsidizing abortion"?

It goes both ways, conservatives. You want people to help you, but don't want to help others.

ShyMel

Stop making it harder for us to have bodily autonomy! All this does is hurt women who have less income and access. Making it harder to get legal abortions doesn't stop women from getting them, they just get unsafe ones instead.

So only young teenage girls will get abortions that wouldn't use insurance anyway.

Or better yet, back alley abortions

They really think this shit though huh.

Wilsongt

What?

Restricting PRIVATE FREE MARKET insurance companies?

Why I never!

Oh wait.
For abortions.
And texas.

Typical.

Basically, someone pointed out that insurance covered it, so now they rush to ban that, regardless of consequences. Yeah that's pretty typical.

It's religious freedom. You know, the kind of freedom where I can say what you're allowed and not allowed to do based on my religion and not yours.
Didn't you know that the US was built on Judeo-Christian values, so it's perfectly reasonable that religious freedom leans Christian. That's America

That was the argument I got from a family member a few days ago

Yoritomo

Read a piece by Dan Savage that I think sums up social conservative views on sex and sex education.

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/8/3/16078980/dan-savage-trump-pence-abstinence-sex-education

That said, what we talk about in this country as comprehensive sex ed, really isn't. The sex ed that is out there that's not abstinence-only tends to be what sex researchers and educators call ”sex dread education," because it just is all about sexually transmitted infections and unplanned pregnancies. Even if they're offering information about birth control and other things, they're still trying to scare kids out of being sexually active, which does not work. It all still sucks.

There was also a statewide effort in Colorado that was hugely successful, that brought the unplanned pregnancy and abortion rates down to historic lows. And Republicans and conservatives opposed refunding it, opposed the continuance of each program, even though it dropped the abortion rate down. Because Republicans and conservatives aren't actually anti-abortion. They want sex to be dangerous and consequential so as to scare people out of having it.

It's the reason they oppose the introduction of the HPV vaccine, because they had long used cancers related to HPV, which is sexually transmitted, to argue for abstinence.

They want people to be as scared as possible to have sex. They want the Sex boogeyman to have as much power as possible. There is no other reason that aligns with all the arguments from social conservatives that span from HPV vaccines to Abortion rights.

Didn't you know that the US was built on Judeo-Christian values, so it's perfectly reasonable that religious freedom leans Christian. That's America

That was the argument I got from a family member a few days ago

I'm shit at History but wasn't the US founded to escape ideologies like religion influencing a country? Despite the fact it now parrots god as an excuse for everything.

So only rich people can get abortions thereby reducing the population of rich people and increasing the number of mouths to feed on the welfare end of the spectrum

Top Bottom