• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate’s budget rules invalidate key provisions in Republican health care bill

Jeffrey

https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Background on Byrd Rule decisions_7.21[1].pdf

Vox summary of the key components in trouble

The biggest casualty would be the GOP’s replacement for Obamacare’s individual mandate, which required people to buy insurance or face a penalty. Under the Senate GOP’s bill, people who went more than a month without health coverage and then bought insurance later on would have to wait six months for their coverage to take effect and cover their medical bills.

The provision was considered necessary in order to encourage people to sign up for health insurance and keep the market stable. Without such a provision, experts fear the insurance market could be sent into a death spiral — only the sickest people, who cost insurers the most, buy coverage, and premiums and costs continue to rise.

Another key provision for market stability — the funding of Obamacare’s cost-sharing reductions, currently in limbo because of an ongoing Republican lawsuit — was also said to be out of order under the Senate rules, according to a summary posted on the Senate Budget Committee website. The cost-sharing reductions are payments to insurers that help them meet a requirement that low-income people get help with their copays and deductibles.

Two provisions crucial for social conservatives, the defunding of Planned Parenthood and the restrictions on federal tax subsidies paying for health insurance that covers abortion, would also require 60 votes to overcome a filibuster and pass — and with no Democrats willing to vote for them, those provisions appear effectively dead. Without them, it could be even harder to win conservative support for the bill.

What a week for healthcare eh?

So... yep some key stuff needs to be changed... and removing those key things will not make conservatives and some moderates happy....

Or maybe... work with the dems? (lol).

What a week.

Slayven

They only had 10 years to make an ironclad bulletproof bill.

Governing is hard when you actually have to do shit

JettDash

Republicans have to vote for a bill that will pay for abortions with tax dollars and fund Planned Parenthood if they want to pass Obamacare repeal.

Earendil

It's cheaper for me to leave my family uninsured and pay the penalty than it is to pay $1000 a month for a plan with a $6000 individual deductible. I took the employer paid option for myself and put a bunch into an HSA. Fortunately we are a fairly healthy bunch.

Top Bottom