• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO score on Senate GOP health bill released, 22M more uninsured relative to ACA

Tovarisc

Ltzb2NM.png

https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/879505016150790145

I don't get it.

Like, if you're a senator and you hear that 22 million will be kicked off health insurance, how is your response not "oh, well, we're not doing that then."

Why is it such a mystery whether or not such a shit bill will pass?

I mean, this is a country where nearly half of voters showed up to make a clear asshole President, so who knows.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxv...h-bill-big-tax-cut-especially-top-one-percent
But the overall effects of the Senate leadership bill would be much like the House measure. The Senate bill would cut annual household taxes by about $670 on average. But the variation among income groups would be very wide.

The lowest income 20 percent of households (that will make about $28,000 or less in 2026) would receive an average tax cut of about $180, or 1 percent of their after-tax income. Middle-income households (that will make $55,000-$93,000) would receive an average tax cut of $280, raising their after-tax incomes by about 0.4 percent.

By contrast, the top one percent of households (who will be making $875,000 or more) are in line for an average tax cut of more than $45,000, raising their after-tax incomes by 2 percent. And those in the top 0.1 percent (who will be making $5 million or more) would receive an average tax cut of nearly $250,000, boosting their after-tax incomes by 2.5 percent.
such middle class tax cuts

If they wanted to lower people's reliance on Obamacare, then they would make it to where more people earn enough to qualify for less subsidies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't get it.

Like, if you're a senator and you hear that 22 million will be kicked off health insurance, how is your response not "oh, well, we're not doing that then."

I mean, this is a country where nearly half of voters showed up to make a clear asshole President, so who knows.

Just clarifying that only just above a quarter of US voters voted Trump into office. Half the country shamefully sat out the election entirely.

But yea, we are in this shit because a mere 27% or so of Americans willed it...and 100% of Americans are looking at real problems ahead.

I don't get it.

Because tax cuts are literally the highest priority for most of these people and their home states won't vote for a democrat

Jesus, Repubs could have an ad explicitly saying: "Only hard working Americans deserve healthcare!" and it would be eaten up by there base so fucking fast. I don't think bad optics means much to them anymore.

cameron

Senate Health Bill Reels as C.B.O. Predicts 22 Million More Uninsured https://nyti.ms/2tc78zE
Quoting some bits:
WASHINGTON — The Senate bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act was edging toward collapse on Monday after the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said it would increase the number of people without health insurance by 22 million by 2026.

Two Republicans, Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Rand Paul of Kentucky, said Monday that they would vote against even debating the health care bill, joining Senator Dean Heller of Nevada, who made the same pledge on Friday. Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin hinted he, too, would probably oppose taking up the bill on an expected procedural vote as early as Tuesday, meaning a collapse could be imminent.

“It’s worse to pass a bad bill than pass no bill,” Mr. Paul told reporters.

Ms. Collins wrote on Twitter on Monday evening that she wanted to work with her colleagues from both parties to fix flaws in the Affordable Care Act, but that the budget office’s report showed that the “Senate bill won’t do it.”
The loss of Ms. Collins could bring along Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, whose rural states would face effects similar to those in Maine.

“If you were on the fence, you were looking at this as a political vote, this C.B.O. score didn’t help you,” said Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina. “So I think it’s going to be harder to get to 50, not easier.”

He added, “I don’t know if you delayed it for six weeks if anything changes.”

TheHill: Murkowski: I don't have enough information to vote in favor of healthcare bill
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) said Monday evening that she does not have enough information yet to vote in favor of the upper chamber’s legislation to repeal and replace ObamaCare.

“Today I don’t have enough information, I don’t have enough data, in terms of the impact to my state, to be able to vote in the affirmative,” Murkowski, considered a key swing vote on the bill, told CNN’s Dana Bash.

Just clarifying that only just above a quarter of US voters voted Trump into office. Half the country shamefully sat out the election entirely.

But yea, we are in this shit because a mere 27% or so of Americans willed it...and 100% of Americans are looking at real problems ahead.

Yeah, I get the numbers. Nearly half of voters who showed up voted for Trump (which is what I said) and while it's nice to think that every single potential Trump voter showed up on election day, let's not kid ourselves.

Tovarisc

Jesu-the CBO score was done by a republican! If anything they're being charitable! Stop backhanding your own party you stupid fuck!

Actually you know what, keep doing it.

Even GOP senators are attacking CBO as inaccurate magic, unreliable and so forth.

And it was whipped through in the end. Better not get over confident...
Not the first time it wasn't. They're not going to go back and work on it another month of it fails this time. It might very well go right into almost October if they decide to try again, and I doubt McConnell wants to waste the entire first year of their control on a single bill that nobody even wants.

Ms.Galaxy

P2wBVxm.png

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/879411199934443520

If they were off by 100% wouldn't it be 0? Not 10.3M, or what ever is real non-alt-fact number.

Outside the fact that's not how math works and the reason that estimate was wrong is because a lot of states deny the medicaid expansion, if we take this train of thought that the white house is making, then that means that the CBO is being modest with how many people will lose their health insurance and it's likely 50 million people will lose their health insurance.

Ogodei

Not the first time it wasn't. They're not going to go back and work on it another month of it fails this time. It might very well go right into almost October if they decide to try again, and I doubt McConnell wants to waste the entire first year of their control on a single bill that nobody even wants.

Depends on just how far apart everyone is. If the two wings are irreconcilable, i could see him dropping it. If someone's willing to bend, then he and Cornyn will figure it out.

Opto

Banned
Republicans are gonna kill people, the SCOTUS will be shit for another generation, and our president has the reading comprehension of a first grader. We're fucked ya'll

Ms.Galaxy

Also, I'll take 50% of the old CBO estimate being covered than have none of those covered and more people becoming uncovered. His argument doesn't make GOPcare sound better.

Top Bottom