• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO score on Senate GOP health bill released, 22M more uninsured relative to ACA

Zips

Trump administration continuing to show how incompetent they are at even simple tasks with those BS numbers and terrible math.

ericexpo

P2wBVxm.png

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/879411199934443520

If they were off by 100% wouldn't it be 0? Not 10.3M, or what ever is real non-alt-fact number.

I honestly don't understand this, are they saying that Obamacare failed cause it covered to few, or that cbo is always wrong so we may not lose 22 million but it's okay if less people have heath insurance.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
so rand paul is against the bill because it doesn't cut enough?
Yes, but don't believe any of the hardcore conservative Senators on this. They will have no problem flipping to a Yes if need be. Heller and Collins seem like solid Nos right now and if Murkowski follows then we've got a good chance.

GOP voters don't care about policy, to them their party is a religion, they won't deviate from it and they'll defend it to their dying breath.

This is policy by ideology. They don't want their rich donors paying 1 cent toward other people's healthcare, social security education etc. Don't matter who dies.

Think of all the extra yachts they could buy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The bill will pass when they vote, 100% certain.

"Is this better than keeping Obamacare? After all these years, we can repeal and replace it with something better, or keep Obamacare. You are either voting to replace Obamacare, or voting to keep Obamacare."

Done, all Republicans will vote for it, especially Cruz and Paul, otherwise Trump will harass them for being the ones that kept Obamacare in place.

"Is this better than keeping Obamacare? After all these years, we can repeal and replace it with something better, or keep Obamacare. You are either voting to replace Obamacare, or voting to keep Obamacare."

Done, all Republicans will vote for it, especially Cruz and Paul, otherwise Trump will harass them for being the ones that kept Obamacare in place.

Except that's not what some key Senators are thinking.

Murkowski, Collins, and Heller, are all explicitly saying that voting for this bill is political suicide because of medicaid beneficiaries in their states.

Rand, Lee, and Cruz are trying to have their cake and eat it too because they also know that this bill is so bad that each of them would suddenly become vulnerable in the general election or even the primaries if they voted for this bill, but rather than admit to why its bad they are claiming it doesn't go far enough so that they can claim they voted against it from the right.

Johnson sees it as political suicide too, even though he wouldn't even face reelection until 2022. This bill is so fucking toxic that Johnson has come up with bullshit excuse about how he won't vote to allow debate because the process is happening too fast.

Like this isn't some disconnected shit like voting for Trump cabinet members which will indirectly do shit. This is voting for a bill that will DIRECTLY fuck with million's of people's healthcare negatively.

In fact I'm pretty sure that the only reason McCain is still gonna vote for it is because after this term he is retiring from politics so he doesn't give a shit about anything to do with winning any elections ever again.

Socivol

This. Just like the House bill when we thought it was dead they brought it back and made it worse and THEN it passed. Republicans are going to fall in line. Their logic to their base will be "Dying is a good thing and this bill will allow you to die and see God even faster!" and they will eat that shit up and vote these same people in again.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Good. This came out before they vote. Now plaster this shit on every fucking page.

"RNC wants to kill 22mil Americans."

TERRIBLE TWEET
If they were off by 100% wouldn't it be 0? Not 10.3M, or what ever is real non-alt-fact number.

I'm not defending this but what I'm guessing what they are doing is saying that 23m is more than 100 % away from the 10.3m people they are citing, which is probably just people on the Medicaid expansion -- a fucking huge number alone. This completely disregards how successful the marketplace and incentives are to get the rest of the people who are aided by the ACA.

Anyway, this is uncharacteristically bad messaging. It's pretty surprising.

I'm not defending this but what I'm guessing what they are doing is saying that 23m is more than 100 % away from the 10.3m people they are citing, which is probably just people on the Medicaid expansion -- a fucking huge number alone. This completely disregards how successful the marketplace and incentives are to get the rest of the people who are aided by the ACA.

Actually it's pretty spot on for the Trump Administration...

KarmaCow

It's intentional. The goal is to devalue the view of the CBO score and saying it's 100% off is one of things that people can technically justify like you did. It's one of those contextless points that will be parroted around anytime someone brings up the CBO score even and then the conversation will turn to if the CBO score is worthwhile instead of the actual criticism.

Good. This came out before they vote. Now plaster this shit on every fucking page.

"RNC wants to kill 22mil Americans."

What in the hell have you been reading that suggests 22 million people will die? Are you assuming that not having health insurance is instant death for a human being?

This is a terrible bill (it offers no reforms, all of the savings go to unrelated tax cuts) but ridiculous misinformation makes us look uninformed, like we're angry based on fake news. The reality is we actually have no clue how many people die from lack of health insurance, since a lack of insurance doesn't necessarily mean lack of care (you can't be turned away from emergency care, for example):

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/03/myth-diagnosis/307905/

And studies can't find that providing people with Medicaid actually gives them better health outcomes at all:

http://theweek.com/articles/678815/medicaid-terrible-republicans-fix

Insurance is great and lack of coverage is terrifying (medical bankruptcy = bad) but aren't we supposed to be the side that believes in science, data and education, instead of superstition and bullshit? Then let's hold ourselves to that higher standard.

What in the hell have you been reading that suggests 22 million people will die? Are you assuming that not having health insurance is instant death for a human being?

This is a terrible bill (it offers no reforms, all of the savings go to unrelated tax cuts) but ridiculous misinformation makes us look uninformed, like we're angry based on fake news. The reality is we actually have no clue how many people die from lack of health insurance, since a lack of insurance doesn't necessarily mean lack of care (you can't be turned away from emergency care, for example):

And studies can't find that providing people with Medicaid actually gives them better health outcomes at all:

Insurance is great and lack of coverage is terrifying (medical bankruptcy = bad) but aren't we supposed to be the side that believes in science, data and education, instead of superstition and bullshit? Then let's hold ourselves to that higher standard.

In case anyone wants to read a response to that Oregon Medicaid study that purportedly shows no benefits from the program: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2013-05-17/oregon-s-radical-health-overhaul-blazes-new-trail

pompidu

You are witnessing the government trying to kill it's own people. This bill is a symbolic gesture, we are all peasants and you will do what we want wether it kills you or not. Pretty frightening for supposedly the greatest country on Earth.

Steel

Banned
I love watching the news and them asterisking that the dems have a bunch of healthcare bills out in such a minor manor that you almost forget that they're doing anything. Dems really need to advertise their fucking plans even if there's no chance they'll make it out of committee.

Lol, the second article reads so ridiculous.

I don't understand their criticism of the CBO.

They were off by 18 million.

So wouldn't you design the new Health Care Act to cover them? Nope. You make it even worse.

Can't we just arrest these pricks?

Ponn

Banned

We SHOULD be human beings and show human compassion to one another. Trying to crunch numbers if having health insurance actually keeps people healthy or not (give me a freaking break with that nonsense) shouldn't be a thought process of a human with a smidge of empathy and compassion. Helping sick humans, getting meds to those who desperately need them, these things shouldn't be walled behind discussions of tax cuts or disingenuous arguments of "well maybe all 22 million won't die from not having insurance". What's an acceptable number exactly?

So I'm a bit confused.

The 22M more people uninsured with the GOP plan are people that are choosing not to have healthcare after the mandate to have insurance is removed right ?

Tovarisc

So I'm a bit confused.

The 22M more people uninsured with the GOP plan are people that are choosing not to have healthcare after the mandate to have insurance is removed right ?

I imagine a lot of them are people who lose coverage as medicare gets shredded.

Steel

Banned
So I'm a bit confused.

Not all. It's a combination of young people who will think they're invincible and don't need to pay health insurance, 4 million are going to be losses to employment plans, and the rest will be people who will no longer to be able to afford health insurance, either because they won't be receiving enough in subsidies anymore or they're over 60 and their premiums have gone from an average of 6k a year to 20k a year.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I think I can make the bold claim that the GOP's "healthcare" plan will kill far more Americans than ISIS could ever dream of doing.

Call your senators tell them to VOTE NO on the BRCA

-------------------------------------------------

Tried calling my senator Rob Portman today to tell him to vote NO on the BRCA.

his DC line is full

His Cbus line is either busy or off the hook

his Cincinnati line is either busy or off the hook

His cleveland line is full

his toledo line is full

Chumly

Im sorry but the first article is absurd. They literally say that uninsured people get treated better because doctors can charge market prices (and proceed to not get paid at all?????). That is a fucking crazy theory that has no backing. It does find a massive drop in depression and coverage for catastrophic events. Long term blood pressure, sugar and cholesterol I think is debatable.

zelas

Call your senators tell them to VOTE NO on the BHCA

-------------------------------------------------

Tried calling my senator Rob Portman today to tell him to vote NO on the BHCA.

his DC line is full

His Cbus line is either busy or off the hook

his Cincinnati line is either busy or off the hook

His cleveland line is full

his toledo line is full

Thank you!

jph139

I think I can make the bold claim that the GOP's "healthcare" plan will kill far more Americans than ISIS could ever dream of doing.

If even 1% of that 22 million dies as a result of having no insurance, that alone is almost 10 times the death toll of 9/11.

Mind-boggling.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
So even going by their probably underrepresented number, this plan will at its "best" only kill 10.3 million people?

What a bargain!
No. Not kill. There's plenty to legitimately complain about with this bill. Let's not pretend that every single person who loses insurance will die as a direct result.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It is a big deal. But that doesn't mean we can just round up to make it sound even scarier. Facts matter and it's important to get them right.

No one thinks 22 million American's are going to drop dead the moment they lose insurance and that's not the fucking point. The point is GOP hubris, greed and disdain are going to hurt and kill a lot of fucking people just to save some fucking money. They are quite literally trying to see just how far they can screw America and get away with it.

That second article, hahahaha.

Apparently, what is needed is for people to shop prudently for healthcare! Oh my, im having a hearth attack! Let me google what the cheapest hospital is in a 50 mile region and call them!

Another brilliant plan: let people set up a savings account for emergency costs, tax free because the government is nice! Oh no, i broke my leg and had to spend a hundred million billion dollars to get it fixed because i am poor and lack insurance, i guess i better not have something for the next 40 years so i have time to save some money!

Amazing. Im glad you posted that article because it was hilarious (and sad).

It is a big deal. But that doesn't mean we can just round up to make it sound even scarier. Facts matter and it's important to get them right.

The only fact that matters is that the GOP is just plain evil. At least 18th century French people knew how to deal with such villains, but i guess its lost on current Americans.

So even going by their probably underrepresented number, this plan will at its "best" only kill 10.3 million people?
Unfortunately, it's more complex than that.

It's important to remember what one of the goals of the ACA was.

10.3 million people will pay out of pocket, go into debt, potentially raising poverty levels, or only go to doctors when things escalate to the point of needing to go to the emergency room, rather than receiving preventative care. A portion of the population will be sicker, and medical care will become more expensive for everyone due to those who cannot pay needing expensive procedures rather than cheaper preventative care.

That was 8 years ago though. You have to look at information from sources such as the CBO or Kaiser to see how things will change today and what's at risk.

The only hope in all of this is that many of the healthcare systems in the country are moving to programs like population-based healthcare regardless of government regulation. Very similar to the market-based forces that are pushing us toward renewable energy, the governmental investment and incentive programs from the last 8 years have kickstarted such movements, and the momentum is already heading in that direction. It might just be much slower and not work as well with less insured in the population.

Top Bottom