• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO score on Senate GOP health bill released, 22M more uninsured relative to ACA

Ms.Galaxy

This is also not going to help curtail the slow rise of blue governorships. Its just going to speed it up.

Republicans are losing the populace.

God I hope so, I hope this hurts them so badly in 2018 and 2020 to the point we have enough to make a Constitutional Amendment making access to healthcare a right, either by congress or a Constitutional Convention.

(It's highly likely not going to happen, but I can dream.)

Tovarisc

Sen. Rand Paul: 'Senate leadership is not negotiating with our office'

GOP leaders in the Senate are not negotiating with party holdouts on health care, Sen. Rand Paul told CNN Monday.

"So far the Senate leadership is not negotiating with our office," Paul said in an interview on CNN's "Newsroom." "I'm trying to negotiate with the President, but really the President is going to have to tell leadership it's going to have to negotiate with some of us who don't see this bill as being good for the country."

The Kentucky senator said he spoke to President Donald Trump on the phone over the weekend to discuss the Senate's health care proposal. Paul has publicly opposed the bill in its current form along with Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Mike Lee of Utah, and Dean Heller of Nevada, who has become the target of a critical advertisement from the pro-Trump group America First Policies.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/26/politics/paul-mcconnell-senate-health-care/index.html

Why Dems are holding back and not hanging this around Trump's neck by branding this as Trumpcare?

For two big reasons mainly:

1) Because Trump hasn't been consistently favoring this bill, in fact some of what he has said has hurt the bill

2) Because rather than hanging this around Trump's neck, Dems are hanging this around the entire GOP's neck

Why Dems are holding back and not hanging this around Trump's neck by branding this as Trumpcare?

They're just letting the entire GOP take the credit/blame for it since it would be much easier for the GOP in the future to distance themselves from Trump than it would be to try to wash itself clean of something it championed as an entire party.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
At least it's apparently fiscally conservative, which has been talk only by the GOP. But this will backfire for them...I see 2020 with a Dem majority with a public mandate of single payer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tried calling my Republican Senator. Voicemail box was full.
Either means so many people are calling that it's clogging everything, or they're not listening and leaving it full on purpose.

My other senator is a Democrat and has said she will vote no. No worries there.

Pro-Trump @AmericaFirstPol is out with first ads against Ds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7EnmuMxMG8
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/879488376855986177

There is three of those. Script is same with different "Call X and tell to repeal Obamacare" at the end.

DbWV1qr.png

Tovarisc

Statement attributable to:
Bruce Siegel, MD, MPH
President and CEO
America’s Essential Hospitals

WASHINGTON – The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) today confirmed what we expected: The Senate’s Better Care Reconciliation Act would be as damaging to the country as its deeply unpopular House counterpart, the American Health Care Act.

The Senate bill would leave 22 million more people uninsured than under current law, including 15 million Americans who depend on the security Medicaid provides: working people, the disabled, poor elderly, children, and others.

Not only would this legislation put health and home at risk for millions, it would threaten the hospitals on which communities depend for trauma care, disaster response, and other lifesaving services. These essential hospitals, which already operate on thin margins, would buckle under the bill’s $772 billion in Medicaid cuts. Many would reduce services or workforce, while others would close.

Congress can no longer ignore the threat to patients, providers, and the nation that the nonpartisan CBO predicts in its House and Senate scores. Lawmakers must step back from these destructive proposals and work with all stakeholders to ensure those who have coverage can keep it and the hospitals that protect our communities can continue meeting that mission.
https://essentialhospitals.org/general/statement-on-cbo-score-of-the-better-care-reconciliation-act/

Tahnit

Banned
heres an idea. How about they take some fucking military spending and give it to the top 1% if they are so godamn hell bent on a tax cut. Fuck this makes me so mad.

Tovarisc

heres an idea. How about they take some fucking military spending and give it to the top 1% if they are so godamn hell bent on a tax cut. Fuck this makes me so mad.

But they are already taking home some of that sweet military industrial complex money by having stock in corporations that do work for military?

I thought there was a July 4th deadline or something along those lines, though?

As time goes on, their ability to dance around the filibuster drops. Budget reconciliation things are capped at one a year.I think this is the closest thing to a real restriction

kc44135

kc44135

Yeah, McConnell wants it done before the break. I hope it fails in an epic fashion.

There is a July 4th recess that McConnell said he wants to have it passed by, but by no means do they lose their chance if they don't pass it by then.

As time goes on, their ability to dance around the filibuster drops. Budget reconciliation things are capped at one a year.I think this is the closest thing to a real restriction

Yeah, that's what I figured. They'll get something through eventually then. :/

el jacko

1 in 5? That is... a lot of people :eek:
Maine is extremely rural and poor, no surprise it was Trump's only electoral vote from the northeast. The political swings that won him MI, WI, and PA, and nearly won him MN also nearly won him ME.

Susan Collins can't vote for this because if she does, she can't run for governor next year. She's popular enough to beat anyone, but only if she votes no.

My brother is an independent contractor in Portland with Obamacare, so this is a bit personal for me!

Zyae

The real reason is congress goes on recess after next week until the fall and they want to pass tax legislation in the fall but they cannot really do that without a healthcare bill to reduce spending. And then we're into 2018 with the midterms on the horizon.

The real reason is congress goes on recess after next week until the fall and they want to pass tax legislation in the fall but they cannot really do that without a healthcare bill to reduce spending. And then we're into 2018 with the midterms on the horizon.

They come back for a couple weeks in mid/late July before the August recess.

yami4ct

They come back for a couple weeks in mid/late July before the August recess.

But if they let them go for recess before the vote, the more pressure vulnerable senators get and the more bad press cycles the bill gets before the vote. If this iteration misses the july 4th headline, they're probably dead on healthcare reform for the year.

Ponn

Banned
I'm at the point where I'm prepared for this happen no matter what and I just want them to get it over with so they can start owning their bullshit instead of blaming ACA for everything.

Tovarisc

I'm at the point where I'm prepared for this happen no matter what and I just want them to get it over with so they can start owning their bullshit instead of blaming ACA for everything.

They will find a way to pin failings of this bill on ACA.

But if they let them go for recess before the vote, the more pressure vulnerable senators get and the more bad press cycles the bill gets before the vote. If this iteration misses the july 4th headline, they're probably dead on healthcare reform for the year.

That's what everyone in the senate's been saying, at least.

Well, a few things: 1) any shortcomings will be blamed on "obstructionist" Dems like 45 is already doing. McConnell will do the same. Shit that asshole blamed Obama for not explaining a bill that Congress overturned Obama's veto on last year. 2) the Senate Bill takes effect in 2020. If Dems get in 2018 and can't change Bill, they get blamed. If they win WH in 2020 and don't overturn bill, it's Dems fault again. Truly McConnell was the one playing 4D chess.

norm9

They want it passed before break so it'll be too late for the constituents to complain about it when they go home on vacation.

Ponn

Banned

Oh they will try no doubt but it won't be easy for them. GOP hardcore followers will eat up anything but I guess I still have a little faith that some of the people being personally affected will be motivated enough to do something about it.

So... it's a right wing health care plan? Not surprised.

Let's look at the comments from Republican commentators on The Hill:
garyw631 A. Lincoln • 35 minutes ago
Then you should get off your lazy worthless @$$ and get a job you stupid parasite. Nobody owes you a thing. You are just a sorry turd who only wants free stuff.

bkeyser President Trump • an hour ago
Link to the word "health" in the Constitution.

WisCONsin My GⓄⓄgle • an hour ago
Considering how terrible the cbo generally is, it is actually much better. Much bigger savings, and considering how bad the CBO and the other likely legislation in the future, the savings is likely bigger. The bill is as dead as you declared the house bill and the travel ban. Trump is better than you and your lib cohorts. You are pathetic losers.

From LA Times:
Bart Strupe 55 points
NEWS FLASH: People will die whether this legislation is passed or not. People will die today, tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. These types of predictions are about as accurate as long term weather forecasting.

20 minute(s) ago
Don't be swayed by the leftist fearmongering.... Of course, is all Americans not on Medicaid or Medicare have "the choice" of no coverage, like 18-50 yr olds... then fewer Americans will be covered. The old & the poor are already covered.... This allows families to decide what coverage they want not what the gov't. needs them to pay for.

20 minute(s) ago
Don't be swayed by the leftist fearmongering.... Of course, is all Americans not on Medicaid or Medicare have "the choice" of no coverage, like 18-50 yr olds... then fewer Americans will be covered. The old & the poor are already covered.... This allows families to decide what coverage they want not what the gov't. needs them to pay for.

This is a funny post when contrasted with the myriad of other posts actually concerned with the well being of others lol.
That's typical of "independent" voters and Republicans. They only care to the extent their own paycheck is affected. Never mind the rising cost for maintaining their coverage or reduced coverage for themselves and millions of others.

Top Bottom