• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO score released on ACHA - 14 million - 2018 - 24 million more uninsured 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
K9LOXqS.jpg

RPGCrazied

This is dead on arrival. You even have Republicans not supporting this for the fear of the already backlash they are recieving at home. This would be political suicide for them.

I got my "lie" from this quote

CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 14 million more people would be uninsured under the legislation than under current law. Most of that increase would stem from repealing the penalties associated with the individual mandate. Some of those people would choose not to have insurance because they chose to be covered by insurance under current law only to avoid paying the penalties, and some people would forgo insurance in response to higher premiums.

It's in the openning.

That's *only* in 2018. By 2026, it'll be far less as medicaid is going to drop by 14 million alone. 10 million private (7 million of that from employer insurance due to tax incentives/employer mandate and not individual mandate).

That's 21 million people out of 24 not really related to the individual mandate.

And in 2018, it'll be indirectly a drop from the mandate. basically, mandate gone, some healthy people gone, premiums rise, more healthy people gone, premiums rise more, etc. It's not that all those people will leave because there is no mandate, they will leave because a few people leave due to the mandate causing premiums to go up making it unaffordable.

It should also be noted that the CBO really thinks the mandate does a lot and MOST of the overestimation of the ACA came believing the mandate would push people into insurance (which is was less effective than they thought). Which doesn't mean less people will drop out, it just means sicker people will drop out.

FyreWulff

Since the mandate was just a tax penalty, know a few people that just went "oh well guess the IRS will claw it back over time rip tax refund"

Lower average premiums after 2020?
My interest is increasing.

The lower premiums will be for 2 reasons.

1. people will shift to bronze plans, aka the crappy plans which are cheaper. This also means HIGHER deductibles and Co-pays.

2. After 2020, sicker and older people will find insurance unaffordable and will drop out, eventually leading to a drop in prices for the healthy young people that remain.

You will pay 15% less than today but your coverage will be shittier by a lot more than 15%.

Exile20

This is a no win situation.

If they keep Obama care then republicans will make sure it fails. Obamacare needs some fixes.

If trump are goes though then rich will make all their money before there is another replace and repeal healthcare bill again.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Contrary to what this topic have evolved into. The majority of the reduction in coverage is not taking away coverage but more the fact that now it's not mandatory. So a majority of this 14 million is happy to stop coverage.

It's amazing how two partisan parties can spin the same study.

1 side it's "omg 24 million will lose coverage".

Other side it "omg over half of Obamacare sign ups are forced and this new healthcare gives people feeedom"

I have never seen a "both sides are the same" post that wasn't gloriously wrong, but this one is a beaut.

pigeon

Banned

1. people will shift to bronze plans, aka the crappy plans which are cheaper. This also means HIGHER deductibles and Co-pays.

2. After 2020, sicker and older people will find insurance unaffordable and will drop out, eventually leading to a drop in prices for the healthy young people that remain.

You will pay 15% less than today but your coverage will be shittier by a lot more than 15%.

Actually, you probably won't pay 15% less than today. Older people (who currently pay more) leaving the market due to unaffordability can easily lower the average premium without anybody's actual premium going down at all.

Actually, you probably won't pay 15% less than today. Older people (who currently pay more) leaving the market due to unaffordability can easily lower the average premium without anybody's actual premium going down at all.

This is 100% true and I should have noted this. In fact, your premiums could go up but the average still drop!

Just like all the CBO numbers don't take into account the variation in cities.

The premium is an average. Rural premiums are going to be a lot worse while urban ones likely better.

And then when you finally desperately need the coverage, you get to save 100% like those that were forced to drop out before you. Might as well allow no coverage for pre-existing conditions again. Really lower those premiums.

People will simply stop going to the doctor.

They will refuse ambulances after accidents.

They will check themselves out of hospitals much earlier.

They will try to get their prescriptions over the internet or skip them altogether.

They will ignore major illnesses and avoid expensive treatments.

This will shorten people's lifespans.

Penny wise, pound foolish should be the GOP motto.

BasicMath

Something like 20-22m willing and unwilling people got healthcare thanks to Obamacare, right?
And somewhere around 20-24m in the next 9-10 years will lose healthcare? And a huge portion of that are willingly losing that insurance?

I'm completely fine with that. I just wish medicaid didn't get hit as bad as they're proposing.

Edit: Was the number of people getting insurance thanks to Obamacare ever adjusted to take into consideration the Recession? A lot of people get their insurance from their workplace and well...there was a lot of unemployment around the time Obamacare was introduced, right?

pigeon

Banned
Something like 20-22m willing and unwilling people got healthcare thanks to Obamacare, right?
And somewhere around 20-24m in the next 9-10 years will lose healthcare? And a huge portion of that are willingly losing that insurance?

Nope

Surfinn

Lol Jeffery Lord is getting destroyed on CNN over this right now. He just said the report is like trying to predict the weather and that he thinks it will actually insure more people.

Edit: Was the number of people getting insurance thanks to Obamacare ever adjusted to take into consideration the Recession? A lot of people get their insurance from their workplace and well...there was a lot of unemployment around the time Obamacare was introduced, right?

A lot of people laid off during the recession were able to maintain coverage through the COBRA premium assistance, which was part of the stimulus package.

Nipo

People will simply stop going to the doctor.

They will refuse ambulances after accidents.

They will check themselves out of hospitals much earlier.

They will try to get their prescriptions over the internet or skip them altogether.

They will ignore major illnesses and avoid expensive treatments.

This will shorten people's lifespans

Poor people yes. That is a feature for some Republicans not a bug.

BasicMath

I misunderstood this
Most of that increase would stem from repealing the penalties associated with the individual mandate.
a bit then. I immediately thought "Well, yeah. A LOT of young people are going to run for it the moment they have the choice to drop the tax."
What part? The numbers I threw in there? The first I got from Dems trying to pat themselves on the back in speeches and stuff. I'm sure it's not that accurate since I'm not only getting it from a politician but also getting it from memory. The other is from the numbers in the OP.

As for the willing and unwilling part, I think it's important to consider the fact that a lot of people were pretty much forced into a product/tax they can't or won't even use. They still have insurance and I'm sure they'll be counted as part of Obamacare's success, though.

pigeon

Banned
As for the willing and unwilling part, I think it's important to consider the fact that a lot of people were pretty much forced into a product/tax they can't or won't even use.

The funny thing about healthcare is that you mostly don't have a choice whether to use it or not.

I've already posted the relevant excerpt from the CBO report in this thread, so you can read for yourself why the claim that most of the people who lose insurance will lose it voluntarily is simply false.

The funny thing about healthcare is that you mostly don't have a choice whether to use it or not.

I've already posted the relevant excerpt from the CBO report in this thread, so you can read for yourself why the claim that most of the people who lose insurance will lose it voluntarily is simply false.

You did it on this page!

digdug2k

isnt taking health insurance away from 24 million people the kind of thing that leads to a possible armed revolt? You cant do that to people. Idiots.
Their are ahitloads of people who will just see that they don't have to pay for ANY insurance anymore and say "woot!" Most of them won't get seriously hurt in the next 10 years either. When they do a bunch of them will go to the emergency room and get covered by other peoples insane premiums. The few Republicans who do get sick will... Be angry, but i doubt angry enough they'd ever dare vote for anyone who FozNews doesn't endorse

Lower average premiums after 2020?
My interest is increasing.

Who would have thought Mr. Independent anti-establishment would be shilling for a bill concocted by Paul Ryan and the establishment GOP. Did you not get the marching orders from Breitbart yet? This thing sucks and it's all Paul Ryan's fault.

Socivol

So can people get the insurance outside of the enrollment period? If so, that's a huge issue. I don't think you should be able to wait until you have a medical emergency, get insurance and then be able to cancel it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Who would have thought Mr. Independent anti-establishment would be shilling for a bill concocted by Paul Ryan and the establishment GOP. Did you not get the marching orders from Breitbart yet? This thing sucks and it's all Paul Ryan's fault.

I'm here for two words when it comes to healthcare.

Reduced cost

If my cost goes down I'm happy. If it goes up I'm unhappy.

I liked Bernie's idea because my increase in taxes was less than my premiums. This is far from an ideal plan but if it offers me a reduced cost over Obamacare then we are moving in the right direction.

Reduced cost

I liked Bernie's idea because my increase in taxes was less than my premiums. This is far from an ideal plan but if it offers me a reduced cost over Obamacare then we are moving in the right direction.

*you

**until you get sick

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Reduced cost

Can you explain how your character works? PM is fine if you don't want to cross the fourth wall. I don't get it.

Reduced cost

"cost goes down" only up till a certain age. Somewhere between 30 and 40.

You are planning on staying the same age, yes???

Reduced cost

It's almost like you literally have no idea what you're talking about. But, please, continue to ignore the other posts that have already attempted to correct your ignorance. Whether it's bravery or lack of familiarity with your troll behavior that motivates them, I'll never know.

Reduced cost

So you plan on buying a shitty plan and never getting old or really sick? You might as well just drop insurance if you're tired of paying so much

Contrary to what this topic have evolved into. The majority of the reduction in coverage is not taking away coverage but more the fact that now it's not mandatory. So a majority of this 14 million is happy to stop coverage.

It's amazing how two partisan parties can spin the same study.

1 side it's "omg 24 million will lose coverage".

Other side it "omg over half of Obamacare sign ups are forced and this new healthcare gives people feeedom"

What do these people who you think "are happy to stop coverage" do when they get cancer or hit by a car?

Reduced cost

As pigeon rightly pointed out, your premiums are likely to not go down. In fact, they're likely to go up.

The average premium price will drop after 2020 but that is mostly because people in the age range 50-64 will drop their insurance because they can't afford it.

So that causes the average to drop, but it does not mean your premiums will drop. They can go up (and likely will) as the average drops.

Oh, and you're likely to also have a crappier bronze plan if you don't already.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom