• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO score released on ACHA - 14 million - 2018 - 24 million more uninsured 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

The White House's own internal analysis of the GOP plan to repeal and replace Obamacare show even steeper coverage losses than the projections by the Congressional Budget Office, according to a document viewed by POLITICO on Monday.

Life became a tragicomic farce so gradually I barely even noticed.

Foffy

Banned
Because now they will be competing across state lines less likely to exploit their local markets.

Republicans are hoping companies create projects that allow inter-state exchanges.

The fact they hope this is really no different than hoping the free market will morally fix things, or that deregulation will make companies invest in a state more willingly.

They're assuming a response to a hypothetical. This should bug the shit out of you, especially as they are hoping something that has no recorded precedent in the United States. Why would it start?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What age are you?

Eh, Trump also said this bill would be great and cover everyone, so I wouldn't believe him. Also, Nazi.

In any case, that follow-on legislation won't pass the House and Senate. You can tell because if it could pass them it would already be in the current bill.

I'm of the age that I have a wife, a kid, and a good job.
The perfect storm to get screwed over by the ACA.

I think it's more likely they don't have the specifics of the other parts ironed out yet but they needed to get something through to show progress so the opponents can't say he didn't do anything. --Time will tell.

I think it's more likely they don't have the specifics of the other parts ironed out yet but they needed to get something through to show progress so the opponents can't say he didn't do anything. Time will tell.

My stepmother and dad live in a rural area and won't be able to afford their current plan if this bill is passed (he's 58 and she's 62). She is fighting cancer at the moment, so any lapse in care could kill her. But yeah if you save some money who cares if other people die?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It came out of nowhere!

A good job that doesn't offer subsidized health insurance?

Said plan is $1,000ish per month before discounts from doing physicals and the like.

Corporate subsidized insurance isn't what it used to be.
If that cost goes down, or even goes up less drastically than it would have under Obamacare, then this plan will be a success in my book.

Chumly

Said plan is $1,000ish per month before discounts from doing physicals and the like.

If that cost goes down, or even goes up less drastically than it would have under Obamacare, then this plan will be a success in my book.
What? Your already on group insurance?

pigeon

Banned

I mean, so am I. But so is my dad, too. There's a pretty big window there! And a lot of the people in that window are going to pay a lot more as the result of this bill.

pigeon

Banned

Oh lol, ACA lowered the rate in your premium increases by a lot, goodbye to all that

http://kff.org/health-costs/press-release/average-annual-workplace-family-health-premiums-rise-mod

Socivol

My stepmother and dad live in a rural area and won't be able to afford their current plan if this bill is passed (he's 58 and she's 62). She is fighting cancer at the moment, so any lapse in care could kill her. But yeah if you save some money who cares if other people die?

Hopefully they didn't vote Republican.

Trump says a lot of things. Haven't even shown that he's involved with this process at all.

This is all Paul Ryan's baby right now.

But tying it to Trump is the best approach. I mean Republicans tied ACA to Obama and used it to attack both Obama and the Dems. Why cant the left brand this Trumpcare and use it to sink both his administration and the GOP as a whole.

Also, $1000 a month for health insurance? That is insane. I think I pay like $200-ish a month and I could probably take the lower plan and drop it a bit. Are you a contractor/self employed? Only time I saw insurance rates around that was when someone was trying to get me to be a consultant and I had to pay for it all myself.

Socivol

WTF? You must work for a shitty company. My insurance isn't the best my for a family it would be less than $300 a month.

KHarvey16

It would have gone up more without the ACA.

Measley

WTF is wrong with Paul Ryan? I don't understand how a human being can be so fucking evil and heartless. Dude is supposedly a hard core Christian. How can you believe in Christian values and teachings and purposely destroy people's lives?

antonz

That is one area the Republicans have been effective at. They harp on the rate increases under ACA. ACA never promised 0 increases but if you listen to the Republicans you would think it did.

Stupid people have been led to believe rate hikes are the ACA fault even as ACA limited rate hikes. Things will explode the moment ACA is dead

WTF is wrong with Paul Ryan? I don't understand how a human being can be so fucking evil and heartless. Dude is supposedly a hard core Christian. How can you believe in Christian values and teachings and purposely destroy people's lives?

It's what happens when certain people read Ayn Rand.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
But tying it to Trump is the best approach. I mean Republicans tied ACA to Obama and used it to attack both Obama and the Dems. Why cant the left brand this Trumpcare and use it to sink both his administration and the GOP as a whole.

Also, $1000 a month for health insurance? That is insane. I think I pay like $200-ish a month and I could probably take the lower plan and drop it a bit. Are you a contractor/self employed? Only time I saw insurance rates around that was when someone was trying to get me to be a consultant and I had to pay for it all myself.

Wife and I are both full time employed. Actually on my wife's plan because my work's offerings are more expensive.

I don't do any HSA or HRA bullshit since I didn't have enough cost free years to build that nestegg. I'm sticking with relatively low deductible plans like PPO or HMO.

Family coverage is growing at a faster rate than single coverage. We need to see that change or at least something that says if you have 1 kid you pay less than the family with 15 kids.

Yeah everyone seems to forget we were getting insane rate increases every year before Obamacare.

Does 1000 a month count what your employer contribution? Paying that much yourself is not a good job lol.

After the physicals and biometric screening shit they make us do we get it around $650 instead of $1,000 for those that don't do that dance. It's ridiculous.

Emarv

Randianism. It's a hell of a drug and supersedes everything else.

Azuran

Banned
That is one area the Republicans have been effective at. They harp on the rate increases under ACA. ACA never promised 0 increases but if you listen to the Republicans you would think it did.

Stupid people have been led to believe rate hikes are the ACA fault even as ACA limited rate hikes. Things will explode the moment ACA is dead

Stupid people deserve everything that's coming to them for voting against their self interests just because a con man told them he was gonna get rid of all the evil muslims.

mjp2417

Banned

abc_biden_laughs_121011_wg.jpg

Chumly

Wife and I are both full time employed. Actually on my wife's plan because my work's offerings are more expensive.

I don't do any HSA or HRA bullshit since I didn't have enough cost free years to build that nestegg. I'm sticking with relatively low deductible plans like PPO or HMO.

Family coverage is growing at a faster rate than single coverage. We need to see that change or at least something that says if you have 1 kid you pay less than the family with 15 kids.
I'm still trying to understand how you think Obamacare hurt you or how you think that trumpcare is going to make it better.

Socivol

Stupid people deserve everything that's coming to them for voting against their self interests just because a con man told them he was gonna get rid of all the evil muslims.

He is also going to bring back their jobs that they lost to automation and to outsourcing, while continuing to outsource his own products. Let's not forget he is going to bring back all those jobs in the coal mines! The thing that annoys me about Trump voters is they always tout personal responsibility, but then take none for their current situation.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm still trying to understand how you think Obamacare hurt you or how you think that trumpcare is going to make it better.

I don't know either. I'm not an expert that can or will analyze the entirety of the economic impacts.

I just know that it's too expensive and getting worse by the year. I'm willing to give another strategy a go after seeing Obamacare's performance in this arena.

Buying across state lines will never happen because it isn't something they can use reconciliation for and needs 60 votes to clear the Senate.

It also would cause you to get worse insurance.

Branduil

Of course it's a success in your book. Not like you give a shit if millions of people die because of no insurance.

slit

Because now they will be competing across state lines less likely to exploit their local markets.

No, they won't. The state lines thing is such a bullshit argument. Those insurance companies have to negotiate with individual healthcare systems in each individual state. It's not as simple as opening an office in another state and saying "Hey, buy my healthcare!". Even the largest health insurance companies have a hard time dealing with this never mind the smaller ones.

KHarvey16

I don't know either. I'm not an expert that can or will analyze the entirety of the economic impacts.

I just know that it's too expensive and getting worse by the year. I'm willing to give another strategy a go after seeing Obamacare's performance in this arena.

Change for the sake of change is dumb. The trick is to make it better, and this obviously doesn't.

Chumly

To me you just seem blinded by nonsense.

I work for an insurance company. I can tell you that trumpcare is not going to magically make your group insurance cheaper or force your wife's employer to cover more of the premium. There is a real concern that the group market will start seeing larger increases to subsidize the uninsured market.

After the physicals and biometric screening shit they make us do we get it around $650 instead of $1,000 for those that don't do that dance. It's ridiculous.

Don't mean to argue as you are definitely in a different situation than I am (I'm single), but the quoted seems off to me. You save $350 a month if you do the wellness screening? My firm I believe it's $500 for the year. $4200 in saying for the wellness screening is crazy. My colleagues get a discount when their wives do the screening as well but total savings are at best $1000 annually. Interesting if true, in so far as I wouldn't mind such savings on my end.

digdug2k

So can people get the insurance outside of the enrollment period? If so, that's a huge issue. I don't think you should be able to wait until you have a medical emergency, get insurance and then be able to cancel it.
I'm curious about this too. Youd have to pay a 30% penalty for that month, but... That doesn't seem that bad to me. Compared to the cost of a hospital stay. It seems like if you're young you'd be best off to get nothing and count on the emergency room insurance broker market.

Foffy

Banned

Religion allows one to easily do that. It's probably the easiest way to do it.

To give you a more productive response, consider how Christianity depends on dualism: separation between mind (soul) and matter. One can easily take this perception and infer separation in the rest of the world, between self and other, organism and environment, etc.

I mean, think about it: why is it those who have hardcore dualistic beliefs the ones who see society cut up, or deny climate change? They have a divided view of the world.

Paul Ryan is a victim to this intellectual virus. He probably links money with human worth, too, which is another game of this at play.

faisal233

I'm sure the strategy that has a 600B taxcut, 0 real cost control, and will result in 26M less people in the insurance pool, and lower the actuarial value of insurance will provide you a better plan...

BTW employer-based insurance is also subsidies by the govt.

By far the largest tax expenditure is the employer-sponsored health insurance (ESI) subsidy. The primacy of employer-sponsored insurance in our current health system, coupled with its favorable tax treatment, is projected to cost the government approximately $760.4 billion in forgone tax revenue from 2013–2017. Such forgone revenue is projected to amount to 1.8% of GDP from 2013–2022.

http://gppreview.com/2013/04/29/emp...-a-subsidy-necessary-post-health-care-reform/

Socivol

You do know that insurance prices got worse by the year every year even before ACA right? This plan doesn't seem to do anything to actually lower the prices either.

You do know that insurance prices got worse by the year every year even before ACA right? This plan doesn't seem to do anything to actually lower the prices either.

The ACA actually slowed them down faster than any other piece of legislation in history. This would increase them faster than any other piece of legislation in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom