• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO score released on ACHA - 14 million - 2018 - 24 million more uninsured 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.
21m uninsured by 2020. 24m uninsured by 2024.

Link here: https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/f...7-2018/costestimate/americanhealthcareact.pdf

Effects on Health Insurance Coverage

To estimate the budgetary effects, CBO and JCT projected how the legislation would change the number of people who obtain federally subsidized health insurance through Medicaid, the nongroup market, and the employment-based market, as well as many other factors.

CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 14 million more people would be uninsured under the legislation than under current law. Most of that increase would stem from repealing the penalties associated with the individual mandate. Some of those people would choose not to have insurance because they chose to be covered by insurance under current law only to avoid paying the penalties, and some people would forgo insurance in response to higher premiums.

CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the legislation would reduce federal deficits by $337 billion over the 2017-2026 period. That total consists of $323 billion in on-budget savings and $13 billion in off-budget savings. Outlays would be reduced by $1.2 trillion over the period, and revenues would be reduced by $0.9 trillion.

The largest savings would come from reductions in outlays for Medicaid and from the elimination of the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA’s) subsidies for nongroup health insurance. The largest costs would come from repealing many of the changes the ACA made to the Internal Revenue Code—including an increase in the Hospital Insurance payroll tax rate for high-income taxpayers, a surtax on those taxpayers’ net investment income, and annual fees imposed on health insurers—and from the establishment of a new tax credit for health insurance.

Later, following additional changes to subsidies for insurance purchased in the nongroup market and to the Medicaid program, the increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number under current law would rise to 21 million in 2020 and then to 24 million in 2026.

The legislation would tend to increase average premiums in the nongroup market prior to 2020 and lower average premiums thereafter, relative to projections under current law. In 2018 and 2019, according to CBO and JCT’s estimates, average premiums for single policyholders in the nongroup market would be 15 percent to 20 percent higher than under current law, mainly because the individual mandate penalties would be eliminated, inducing fewer comparatively healthy people to sign up.

RDreamer

Full text here

CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the legislation would reduce federal deficits by $337 billion over the 2017-2026 period. That total consists of $323 billion in on-budget savings and $13 billion in off-budget savings. Outlays would be reduced by $1.2 trillion over the period, and revenues would be reduced by $0.9 trillion.

The largest savings would come from reductions in outlays for Medicaid and from the elimination of the Affordable Care Act's (ACA's) subsidies for nongroup health insurance. The largest costs would come from repealing many of the changes the ACA made to the Internal Revenue Code—including an increase in the Hospital Insurance payroll tax rate for high-income taxpayers, a surtax on those taxpayers' net investment income, and annual fees imposed on health insurers—and from the establishment of a new tax credit for health insurance.

CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 14 million more people would be uninsured under the legislation than under current law. Most of that increase would stem from repealing the penalties associated with the individual mandate. Some of those people would choose not to have insurance because they chose to be covered by insurance under current law only to avoid paying the penalties, and some people would forgo insurance in response to higher premiums.

Later, following additional changes to subsidies for insurance purchased in the nongroup market and to the Medicaid program, the increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number under current law would rise to 21 million in 2020 and then to 24 million in 2026. The reductions in insurance coverage between 2018 and 2026 would stem in large part from changes in Medicaid enrollment—because some states would discontinue their expansion of eligibility, some states that would have expanded eligibility in the future would choose not to do so, and per-enrollee spending in the program would be capped. In 2026, an estimated 52 million people would be uninsured, compared with
28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Well I mean, sure, 14 million would lose health insurance. But on the bright side, think of all the new yachts people could buy! Wouldn't that make your cancer feel better, knowing that rich people had nicer yachts? I know that'd make my cancer feel better.

R5p9G94.gif

according to CBO and JCT’s estimates, average premiums for single policyholders in the nongroup market would be 15 percent to 20 percent higher than under current law, mainly because the individual mandate penalties would be eliminated, inducing fewer comparatively healthy people to sign up.

Collapse of the insurance industry under this...

studyguy

2020 gonna be fucking rough as hell times. Optics for that election on the R down ballot gonna be something else if state reps have entire constituencies up and getting booted off their plans.

RDreamer

are these savings based on dynamic scoring?

I don't think so?

It does say this:
Because of the magnitude of its budgetary effects, this legislation is “major legislation,” as definedintherulesoftheHouseofRepresentatives.1 Hence,ittriggerstherequirement that the cost estimate, to the greatest extent practicable, include the budgetary impact of its macroeconomic effects. However, because of the very short time available to prepare this cost estimate, quantifying and incorporating those macroeconomic effects have not been practicable.

Boke1879

I mean we knew this shit was DOA. I wonder how the hell Ryan will spin this and what Trump will have to say about it now.

If you're a dem you have all the talking points in the world for this.

Premiums would also go up by 15-20% in 2018 and 2019.

GOP. Yall can pass this shit if you want to.

Voters asked for this, let them suffer. Sorry to those who will be affected and tried to stop this but my compassion for anyone who voted for Trump or didn't vote for Clinton is non existent.

antonz

Premiums would also go up by 15-20% in 2018 and 2019.

GOP. Yall can pass this shit if you want to.

They are going to tout the line after that which claims after 2019 Premiums would then go down lower than ACA premiums. They will argue temporary pain for long term gain. Though I do not see how CBO can actually suggest premiums will decline

Kill3r7

The price of insurance will certainly go up and pre-existing conditions will become a thing again. The formula does not work without healthy people paying for insurance.

Maxim726X

Any news on cost? It feels more expensive, so I'm curious about the budget impact.

Apparently over 300 billion in savings over a ten year period.

Which... Doesn't seem like all that much, particularly in light of how many lose their coverage.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So many questions.

How do they get these metrics?

How do they calculate how many folks will be without care by 2026?

After getting to these conclusions, how do they possibly decide that having over 20 million Americans without healthcare is acceptable?

Fox Mulder

24 million people will have ACCESS to healthcare
they just can't afford it.

I have no insurance now because I'm not paying like $300 a month for a garbage plan that costs thousands to use.

I'll eat a bullet if I get cancer or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom