• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanks for the 25 cents on my birthday, Microsoft.

Jawmuncher

20MS POINTS!!!

That's straight up Cray.

Yeah it's a nice gesture but damn, does it look sad.
I'd prefer a exclusive theme or gamerpic personally.

Bear

Better than nothing, right?

I didn't think it was possible, but they actually would be better off doing nothing.

The fact that they actually went through the effort to give the stingiest gift imaginable, and make it seem like a big deal with the flashy email, is pretty much rubbing it in your face.

Sandfox

I'd rather them give nothing than 20 points. I think them giving a 5-10% discount on one item would give people more incentive to buy stuff with their gift.

Acageron

Te3e4.gif

I didn't think it was possible, but they actually would be better off doing nothing.

The fact that they actually went through the effort to give the stingiest gift imaginable, and make it seem like a big deal with the flashy email, is pretty much rubbing it in your face.

You have a point. I am inclined to agree.

Corto

Sony yesterday sent me a digital cake to add to my Home avatar.

wPBvN.png

edit: Hey so many October babies! WE ROCK!

So pathetic. It literally takes me about 17 seconds to make 20 Microsoft points. At least give away some shitty game that no one buys.

While it's better than nothing it's pretty damn close to nothing. I think I'd be happier if on my birthday they took away the odd MSP amount on my account instead of giving me an odd amount that will just piss me off.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Are you an old man yet Dm?

Einbroch

Banned
This is absolutely brilliant on Microsoft's part. Some people will think "damn, now I have to spend these points! Can't let them go to waste!" and will buy spacebucks that they wouldn't otherwise have and buy games/services they wouldn't have without the free $0.25.

That's how I feel.

You pay for MS points. The vast majority of items purchased will result in an odd number of points left, meaning it's useless unless you buy more.

They give you 25 cents that can be used on... well.. something... maybe?

And then 1 and 2% "rebate" resulting in even more of an odd number in your account that you can't use.

If sony gave 25 cents on my birthday, it would be great.

Why? Because I can put an exact amount of money I want in my account, you CAN'T do that for MS points.

breakfuss

Cliche, but fitting: haters will continue to hate. It's better than nothing.

Oh, and on my birthday, 2011, I wasn't able to log into my PSN account to play the copy of Portal 2 I received as a gift. Who would have thunk it?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's how I feel.

You pay for MS points. The vast majority of items purchased will result in an odd number of points left, meaning it's useless unless you buy more.

They give you 25 cents that can be used on... well.. something... maybe?

And then 1 and 2% "rebate" resulting in even more of an odd number in your account that you can't use.

If sony gave 25 cents on my birthday, it would be great.

Why? Because I can put an exact amount of money I want in my account, you CAN'T do that for MS points.

This crazy thing here is... but they're giving you money, for what amounts to nothing.

Sure, MS sales, Bing Rewards, Xbox Rewards, and the monthly rebate might stick you with crazy points... But when you get Birthday points, rebate points, and Bing Reward points, all those little 10s, 20s, 80s, 100s, 400s, and such from each place add up to free games or DLC every once in a while.

At the smallest, I've gotten Bulletwitch DLC with such points (Yeah, suprisingly enough, the game has 20 MSP DLC). Then onto 80pts indie games, and 200, 400, and 800 pts sales or specials, just off points from these promotions. Not to mention there's been more "160 pts on sale!" style stuff recently, which helps hit those odd numbers.

Sure, Sony lets you add those extra dollars when you need to make a purchase... but Microsoft lets me get those few extra dollars from them, so I don't even have to dip into my own wallet.

I'd love it if MS took some tips from how Sony is handling PS+ when it comes to freebies, but at the same time, I'd like it if Sony gave me more ways to earn some free credits from them every once in a while, too...

...in the end though, I'm glad both companies are helping lower the cost of being a multi-platform owner. Free games on PS+ here, Free games through Free MS points there, A Crossbuy game on PSN (making it easier to have a game on Vita and PS3)... it all works out nicely. And it just gets better as these kind of deals become more prevalent.

So, bring on the freebies!

PJX

When it comes to rewards, Microsoft is a joke. I want to meet the guy who sat there in a meeting and came up with this crap just so I can punch his damn face in. This is ridiculous, good thing my Live sub is going to run out soon and I won't be renewing it. Other services don't even charge you to play online and they give you more than that for your birthday.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Here's everything you can buy for that apparently...

Bald Man Gamer Picture (Tony Hawk's American Wasteland)
German Soldier Gamer Picture (Call of Duty 2)
Amped 3 Chicken Gamer Picture (Amped 3)
Hoodoo Brown Gamer Picture (Gun)
Major Ruin Gamer Picture (Kameo: Elements of Power)
Dead Rising Zombie Gamer Picture (Dead Rising)
Rubber Duck Gamer Picture (Hitman: Blood Money)
Agent Thomas Gamer Picture (Condemned: Criminal Origins)
Various BulletWitch cheats/extra challenges (BulletWitch)
Battlefield 3 Camaro DLC (Battlefield 3: Eurogamer Edition)

Bring's back memories of the 360 launch.

Top Bottom