• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That "Despacito" song hit 2 billion YT views in ~5 months

Dont let this fucking piece of shit type of music enter the rest of the world please. As a spaniard I fucking hate all reggaeton and whatever evolved from that shit, and I was happy most of the world was mostly not pumping it at every possible hour.

And despacito and bailando are not the worst of that type (becuase the lyrics are less offensive than others), but shit is still shit.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh, good. It's not the shitty Justin Bieber version.

Such a good song.

Edit: That lady in the video, phew

dlauv

Houston here. I've heard this song a lot and thought it was much older than it was.

But I was probably thinking of Bailando.

The production is nice, I guess.

When will american audiences enjoy K-Pop songs more. I feel like I'm getting in on the ground floor listening to this stuff. I ended up listening to one song and then a few hours later I'm in love because they're all so catchy.

It's really funny, I noticed after watching a lot that the way Ariana Grande sounds/kind of performs is pretty similar in some aspects to K-Pop so that's neat.
When will she bring this gift to us in full?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyable song that's fun to dance to. Love it when it's on in the club.

Dont let this fucking piece of shit type of music enter the rest of the world please. As a spaniard I fucking hate all reggaeton and whatever evolved from that shit, and I was happy most of the world was mostly not pumping it at every possible hour.

And despacito and bailando are not the worst of that type (becuase the lyrics are less offensive than others), but shit is still shit.

When I hear opinions like this I imagine the person is really bad at dancing.

janoDX

It took a while for me to figure out whether I wanted that “This is how we do it down in Puerto Rico” line in Spanish. If I wanted that to be part of the regular chorus or if I just wanted to leave it there at the end. Because to this day, it’s still my favorite part of the song. So you would think that I would do it every single chorus, but at the end of the day, I said, “You know what? If I just leave it there for the end, I’m kinda saving like a special moment and I’m giving it more importance.” So that’s why I left it there and the music kind of drops out. It’s kind of the special moment of the song.

Going back to what you were saying, most of my songs in my past have been more romantic ballads. Finally, I get a song that I can sort of pay a little bit of homage to where I’m from, Puerto Rico, which that’s where I was born. That’s where I was raised. I left Puerto Rico when I was 10, 11 years old to move to Florida. I’ve been living in United States a lot longer than I lived in Puerto Rico.

It’s like me giving back to them and saying, “Hey, I am who I am because of you.” And at the end of the day, this music and this flavor and this rhythm, I have it in my blood because of you, because of what you gave to me, so let me just do this in Puerto Rico and film the video there and show the world what we’re all about and what our music is all about. That’s always been on my to-do list. I have interviews going back 15, 18 years ago, saying, “I wanna do a song for Puerto Rico.” I just didn’t know how to go about it. So finally, “Despacito” was my excuse to do it, and I’m proud that I got a chance to do it.

-Luis Fonsi

That's the explanation for the song.

Brazil

Bieber version > original

Come at me GAF.

:lol

It must suck, being unable to dance.

justing.png

I didn't know this existed until literally now. I don't know how. When Gangnam style hit 1 billion views that shit was EVERYWHERE. No idea how I've managed to avoid this. It makes me feel old.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
This song is everywhere in every radio station in NY. It's a super catchy song and better than Bailando.

I think I have heard it over a thousand times just this year.

I'd legitimately never heard of this song.

Fuck I'm out of touch.
Same. If someone plays this song right now near me I wouldn't notice. I've been on spotify exclusively the past couple of years now. Don't even know the radio stations in my area.

Views (billions) Upload date Notes
1. "Gangnam Style" Psy 2.879
2. "See You Again" Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth 2.851
3. "Sorry" Justin Bieber 2.601
4. "Uptown Funk" Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars 2.519
5. "Masha and the Bear: Recipe for Disaster" Get Movies 2.263
6. "Shake It Off" Taylor Swift 2.220
7. "Bailando" Enrique Iglesias featuring Descemer Bueno and Gente De Zona 2.200
8. "Despacito" Luis Fonsi featuring Daddy Yankee 2.193
9. "Sugar" Maroon 5 2.114
10. "Roar" Katy Perry 2.097
11. "Blank Space" Taylor Swift 2.088
12. "Lean On" Major Lazer and DJ Snake featuring MØ 2.082

This is the Youtube 2 billion views club. No one is in the 3 billion club....yet

PillarEN

This is the Youtube 2 billion views club. No one is in the 3 billion club....yet

Somehow Happy by Pharrell isn't in the top 10? Genuinely surprised.

...What the fuck is Masha and the Bear?

eXistor

I'm always so baffled by these numbers. I literally never even heard a second of this song before or was aware of its existence before reading this thread 20 seconds ago. 2 billion fucking views? How?

santi_yo

I was in a party a couple months ago. Luis Fonsi, the singer, showed up. Of course, they played Despacito there and he looked a bit tired about the song. Hah.

Brazil

Are we gonna pretend that people at clubs that dance to this song and like it know how to dance?

99% of people at clubs are just flailing their hands with no rythym, even here down in Latin America.

You just gotta go with the rhythm.

...What the fuck is Masha and the Bear?

Off-topic but:

It's a very high quality 3D rendered cartoon for kids, made in Russia. It's really good and the rendering is super fine (none of this offshore animated in China crap).

Masha-And-The-Bear-Wallpapers.jpg

Recipe for a Disaster is the single best episode IMO where Masha prepares too much porridge.

Addi

haters in here must be fun at parties

I'm fun at parties but I don't like this song, so...

Well, it's not that it's bad, I just find it pretty bland and I don't get how it's getting insanely more popular than other mainstream hits right now.

For people that haven't heard this song, where do you live?

In Texas it's on literally every radio station and I've heard it in stores, restaurants, bars, etc.

Houston, texas. Never listen to the radio and I usually just go to target for groceries. Restaurants Ive been to dont seem to play it

OraleeWey

Never heard of either of these.

Understandably, I don't understand the lyrics like with Gangnam Style, but the selling point of that was the beat was great, the lyrics were actually really catchy even though I didn't know what most of them meant, and the video was fantastic and came with a little dance everybody could do.

This video looks and sounds generic as hell.
generic as hell is exactly what banks cash staright to your bank account

Except the boss chorus and Fonsi's incredible voice

I feel like I've heard that exact song a million times.

Except this was the first time I've ever heard it.

Or maybe I've actually heard that exact song a million times, but it doesn't stand out so I can't remember it.

Top Bottom