• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That "Despacito" song hit 2 billion YT views in ~5 months

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've never heard this before in my life, sometimes ignorance is bliss.

(Why does shit like this gain so much traction? It's like alchemy.)

Not quite alchemy, but right time, right place, good advertisement on it, and good recognition.

1) It was remixed by Justin Beiber and other popular music artists.

2) Lots of women love this song, especially in dance clubs and bars. It's also requested a lot.

3) It's a popular genre and is an intimate song.

4) It also has popular models in it.

For those who aren't understanding why it hit so big, it's pretty much the new "Bailando" song. It damn near has the same exact beat to it. My only issue is that the radio and clubs will play this for longer than they need to and I'm already getting a little tired of it.

FreeMufasa

All the people on the first page saying they haven't heard it or it's terrible are cringe. Says more about yourself than the song.

Songs nice. Funny seeing man fail at Latin dance in the club tho

DJChuy

Living in South Texas, I got tired of it before the Bieber version was made. Then, the Bieber version was made, and radio continued playing it.

So it's been like 6 or 7 months that I've been listening to Despacito on the radio. I hate it! I don't think it's a bad song, just highly overplayed in my area.

Bailando was way better. Hell, everything Enrique Iglesias has been ditching out lately has been pretty good.

Never heard of either of these.

Understandably, I don't understand the lyrics like with Gangnam Style, but the selling point of that was the beat was great, the lyrics were actually really catchy even though I didn't know what most of them meant, and the video was fantastic and came with a little dance everybody could do.

This video looks and sounds generic as hell.

Lol, gangnam style was hot trash. This is a lot better, in every way.

clemenx

Banned
I'm amused at how noticeable the America centric nature of this forum is showing in this thread lool.

This is the first song in a loooooong time that has caught up in Latin America as a whole from Mexico to Argentina and we have a growing internet population, most views are coming from down here probably.

yyr

What I find funny about the remix is that the English lyrics are so much less explicit than the Spanish ones. They never curse, but every word in Spanish is about good old fashioned down-home baby making, exactly as God and nature intended.

Somehow, the English language lyrics in the Bieber version lose some of that and I'm not sure why.

Because in many parts of America, sex is taboo unless you're married, and nudity is shameful, but violence is considered normal and okay.

It seems that in many other places worldwide, violence is frowned upon, the human body is celebrated, and love is encouraged.

Personally, I think America would be a much better place if we were more like the latter.

Barzul

The song is good. Just because it's been overplayed doesn't make it any less a good song lol. One of the only pure Spanish songs I've really dug.

I was trying to think if I have heard this song before without clicking the YouTube link. Then people started talking about Justin Bieber and I realized its the song I keep replaying. :O

Nydius

This thread just made my day because it finally answered the question of "what the hell is that tune my neighbors keep blasting as they drive up the street?!".

Now I know and I can stop wondering.

...and it also serves as a reminder that I need to get off my ass and continue my Rosetta Stone and Duolingo programs...

Ahasverus

God has forsaken us. That song is the biggest trash this side of Maluma.

I've suffered it since NOVEMBER, and it just picked up international fame. I wanna die really.

2B views of anything is incredible. The music doesn't seem particularly remarkable, no more than anything else. It's interesting to see what blows up and what doesnt.

How? Sounds pretty generic to me.
It being generic is exactly why it's so big. It's easy to listen to, it's made exactly for Mass consumption.
This isn't new or hard to understand. Not only that but the Spanish speaking population all over the world is HUGE! And the song is simple enough that even if you don't speak the language you can understand the vibe juuuuuust fine.

Manu

Someone already beat me to it but here in Argentina it's fucking everywhere.

A few days ago I saw on the news a school where the kids made a video dancing to this song for the school's 80th anniversary, and I couldn't but think of the poor founder rolling in their grave.

Because in many parts of America, sex is taboo unless you're married, and nudity is shameful, but violence is considered normal and okay.

It seems that in many other places worldwide, violence is frowned upon, the human body is celebrated, and love is encouraged.

Personally, I think America would be a much better place if we were more like the latter.
Is that really why though? The Beebs got caught with a Brazilian hooker. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd care that much, to be honest.

As usual Gaf music threads are pretty cringe worthy in the responses.

Either way fun song even if it isn't your taste. Knew it was popular but did not know it was 2Billion popular, good for them.

least its not gasolina

Quick

Banned
Heard the Bieber remix first and thought it was good, but the original version is great.

I'm pretty sick of it though.

Daddy Yankee in 2017. Damn, we here now.

Not

Banned
I've never heard of this song nor artist. How in the world does this have so many views?

Turn on the fucking radio when you're driving

Go out in the sun and buy a coffee and listen to the music from the speakers

Put Spotify on Hot 100 for a few minutes

Guys c'mon

Only heard it because I'm currently dating a Latina. But sure enough; exactly a day after hearing it for the first time, my sister and my 10 year old niece come over and play it on my computer. "What!! You've never heard 'Despacito' ?? It's like the hottest song!"

"Uhmm, I think I just heard this yesterday!"

Funny how "pop" music all a sudden spreads to everyone around us, and eventually to us like an airborne virus.

Again, thanks to dating a crazy South American chick, The song I'm enjoying A lot lately... is

Danny Ocean's - Me Rehúso

I have no idea how old this song is, how popular it was, when it first came out but...

Quite frankly it's new to me, and it's better than the Despacito.

The Lamp

The song is good. Just because it's been overplayed doesn't make it any less a good song lol. One of the only pure Spanish songs I've really dug.

That's too bad because as far as Spanish or Latino songs go, it's pretty mediocre.

I hate that some white Canadian boy appropriated upon and capitalized on Latin culture via this song in order for white people to finally give a shit about Latin music the past 5 years. It's not like he even respects the culture enough he's hijacking to learn the lyrics to his own song.

That's too bad because as far as Spanish or Latino songs go, it's pretty mediocre.

I hate that some white Canadian boy appropriated upon and capitalized on Latin culture via this song in order for white people to finally give a shit about Latin music the past 5 years. It's not like he even respects the culture enough he's hijacking to learn the lyrics to his own song.

Please dont act like there is something called "Latin Culture" and that trash like reggaeton is representative of it.

Lulubop

Please dont act like there is something called "Latin Culture" and that trash like reggaeton is representative of it.

Nah fam, dancing and fun is a big part our the culture and that's what this music is for, a good time.

My thoughts too. Sounds pretty generic when compared to other high viewing songs like Gangnam Style.

Nobody getting open in the club to some Gangnam style, it's catchy but it's a corny song.

The Lamp

Lol reggaeton is a huge genre of Latino music, it's fun and dancy, and music is a part of culture. Ever been to a Latino club?

As a Colombian, though, it's sad when Americans dont pay enough attention to Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Carlos Vives, Daddy Yankee, Celia Cruz, Selena, Paulina Rubio, Gloria Trevi, Alejandro Sanz, Juanes, or anybody else over the years despite them releasing great music just because it's in Spanish. The only one that regularly releases hits that English-speaking Americans eat up is Pitbull and that's because he started singing pop shit in English. Then Bieber comes along and fakes Spanish on some hit already established by Fonsi and Yankee, and NOW English-speaking American people think Latino music is cool on a scale they never considered before? Now Spotify crowns Bieber as a "Latin king"? Lol

There is a lot better latino music out there than Despacito but people weren't paying attention until Bieber shows up and makes it "cool" to the masses on a level not seen before, without having any respect for the culture himself (see him faking the lyrics at a party because he didn't bother to memorize the song that made him millions).

Lol reggaeton is a huge genre of Latino music, it's fun and dancy, and music is a part of culture. Ever been to a Latino club?

As a Colombian, though, it's sad when Americans dont pay enough attention to Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Carlos Vives, Daddy Yankee, Celia Cruz, Selena, Paulina Rubio, Gloria Trevi, Alejandro Sanz, Juanes, or anybody else over the years despite them releasing great music just because it's in Spanish. The only one that regularly releases hits that English-speaking Americans eat up is Pitbull and that's because he started singing pop shit in English. Then Bieber comes along and fakes Spanish on some hit already established by Fonsi and Yankee, and NOW English-speaking American people think Latino music is cool on a scale they never considered before? Now Spotify crowns Bieber as a "Latin king"? Lol

There is a lot better latino music out there than Despacito but people weren't paying attention until Bieber shows up and makes it "cool" to the masses on a level not seen before, without having any respect for the culture himself (see him faking the lyrics at a party because he didn't bother to memorize the song that made him millions).

You in Colombia arent part of the same culture of the people that live in the Altiplano, the people in Magallanes or in Salvador de Bahia.

Hell even inside of Colombia there isnt one unique culture, the people living in the mountains of Nariño dont have the same traditions than the people from Santa Marta.

There is no Latin Culture.

Lum1n3s

Yeah, so like I had no idea Reggaeton came back. Remember back in the day when it came out and Hip Hop artists were teaming up with Reggaeton artists and they were saying it was the next big thing and mind you this was back in like 03-06. Didn't really go anywhere after a while though and it kind of fell of. Now it looks like it's back in full force but I have to say today's Reggaeton is pure trash. It's auto-tuned and sometimes heavily to the point where it's just bad. This song is that exception though and thanks to Justin Bieber it skyrocketed to being played on the main stations like Hot 99.5.

The Lamp

You in Colombia arent part of the same culture of the people that live in the Altiplano, the people in Magallanes or in Salvador de Bahia.

Hell even inside of Colombia there isnt one unique culture, the people living in the mountains of Nariño dont have the same traditions than the people from Santa Marta.

There is no Latin Culture.

Oh god. I'm not gonna entertain your semantics. Of course, culture and music is not uniform across all Spanish-speaking countries, but there ARE some homogeneities, one example being some genres of Spanish-speaking music that are enjoyed and popularized among many Spanish-speaking Latinos and countries (like Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue, Latino Pop, etc). There is something to be said about how Bieber disrespected Latino music while using it to amplify his success. What are you even trying to defend here? You tried to say reggaeton doesn't represent an aspect of Latino culture, and that's ludicrous because it's widely enjoyed in many Latino countries.

Top Bottom