• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That "Despacito" song hit 2 billion YT views in ~5 months

HardRojo

It was fine when they played it at clubs at first, but now everyone and their mother has made their own cover and I'm fucking sick of it. I was surprised by how much it caught on in the US. 3 cousins came over from there to visit just earlier this month and they all knew about it.
That's life man. Drake made bachata more popular by being on that song with Romeo. Sometimes you need an English speaker on your song for mass appeal

plus Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Daddy Yankee, Selena did have hits in the US.
I'm Latino and I fucking despise bachata from anyone but Juan Luis Guerra. Romeo Santos' music makes me sick. I like Drake but I didn't know he teamed up with that guy, for shame Drake.

ElyrionX

Heard this in a club in Shanghai last week. Thought it was catchy and familiar (definitely not the first time I heard it) and so had a good time partying to it. Tune was stuck in my head all weekend but I don't know the lyrics because I don't even know the language and hence I thought the song was forever lost to me.

When I saw this thread today, I just knew this was the song LOL. Great stuff.

vern

Heard this in a club in Shanghai last week. Thought it was catchy and familiar (definitely not the first time I heard it) and so had a good time partying to it. Tune was stuck in my head all weekend but I don't know the lyrics because I don't even know the language and hence I thought the song was forever lost to me.

When I saw this thread today, I just knew this was the song LOL. Great stuff.

Which club? I swear the dj played it at least twice in Mook the other night lol

Ricky_R

Bailando? Oh man. I get it, you don't listen to Latin music, but is that really your only frame of reference?

Lol El Rey been salty. I love him but dude's a total prick. Got tickets to see him in LA once. They were expensive af. Anyways, there was no opening band, he played for like 30-40minutes and then bounced. Everyone was heart broken.

Haha man, that sucks. I actually feel Don Omar is the better artist, and his King of Kings LP was legit good. Daddy Yankee has just been smarter.

I mean, DO had Danza Kuduro which was pretty huge, but Yankee is definitely more consistent.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Holy fuck, the gal in the video is hot. I have never heard of this song or the people involved before this thread.

C4Lukins

First time I have ever listened to it, but it sounds like a shit rip off of that shitty Bon Jovi song Its My Life.

pantsmith

Given how uninteresting the video is, it would seem the "view" count is actually just people playing it over and over for the audio - which is fascinating!

I don't want to get too deep into socioeconomic theory, but I'd wager the Spanish-speaking communities of the world are less likely to be subscribers to Spotify or Apple Music (or whatever) and are just looking for a quick way to search "Despacito" and play it from their phone.

It's not a bad song and a lot of attractive women like to dance to it so I'm like ight. It is getting a bit tiring hearing it played everywhere though.

Now that song that goes "im in love with your boddyyy last night you were in my room now my bed sheets smell like you" sucks and is so overplayed.

lol at all the hate.

i love how music is becoming more internationalized and different sounds are getting more and more exposure. that really boring pop sound of the early '10s was really boring and depressing.

like that music is getting a bit happier again

MaulerX

So I stumbled upon this song and noticed it's on track to crack 3 Billion views within the next week or two. Insanity. And reading the YouTube comments it seems like people from all over the world are listening and enjoying even though they don't understand it.

Like it's now averaging about 1 million views per hour. Goddam.

Top Bottom