• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That "Despacito" song hit 2 billion YT views in ~5 months

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hell no, this is one of the few songs of Summer I'm enjoying.

Fuck Drake, Fuck Iggy, Fuck Chainsmokers.

Bring more of it. Actual fucking music you can dance too.

Oh god. I'm not gonna entertain your semantics. Of course, culture and music is not uniform across all Spanish-speaking countries, but there ARE some homogeneities, one example being some genres of Spanish-speaking music that are enjoyed and popularized among many Spanish-speaking Latinos and countries (like Reggaeton, Salsa, Merengue, Latino Pop, etc). There is something to be said about how Bieber disrespected Latino music while using it to amplify his success. What are you even trying to defend here? You tried to say reggaeton doesn't represent an aspect of Latino culture, and that's ludicrous because it's widely enjoyed in many Latino countries.

Generalizing the whole thing south of the US , say he disrespected Puerto Rico atleast since Fonsi and DY are from there , and even then tho, dont say Latin America, like some dude in the southern Andes or in the Chaco is going to give a fuck. And those music genres arent even popular in every country, salsa's popularity for example only goes so much to the south.

number11

Bailando never made it big to the UK (I don't think).. I remember going to Cancun and hearing it in the club. Everyone went crazy and I was so confused. I imagine Despacito is the same. I've never even heard of this track until the Bieber version.

Ocaso

Yeah, so like I had no idea Reggaeton came back. Remember back in the day when it came out and Hip Hop artists were teaming up with Reggaeton artists and they were saying it was the next big thing and mind you this was back in like 03-06. Didn't really go anywhere after a while though and it kind of fell of. Now it looks like it's back in full force but I have to say today's Reggaeton is pure trash. It's auto-tuned and sometimes heavily to the point where it's just bad. This song is that exception though and thanks to Justin Bieber it skyrocketed to being played on the main stations like Hot 99.5.

Reggaeton just becomes dormant before reactivating, similar to herpes.

That said, I'm not sure you could classify this as a reggaeton song. It's lacking the traditional rhythm line that is the defining feature of the genre, and favors Fonsi's melody far more than the rap part.

This isn't my usual style of music, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't catchy as hell. It just is.

Reggaeton just becomes dormant before reactivating, similar to herpes.

That said, I'm not sure you could classify this as a reggaeton song. It's lacking the traditional rhythm line that is the defining feature of the genre, and favors Fonsi's melody far more than the rap part.

This isn't my usual style of music, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't catchy as hell. It just is.

Agreed. Despacito doesn't have the traditional rhythm line. Here's an example of a semi recent Reggaeton song with the traditional rhythm thats in every single reggaeton song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKuivabiOns

Barzul

That's too bad because as far as Spanish or Latino songs go, it's pretty mediocre.

I hate that some white Canadian boy appropriated upon and capitalized on Latin culture via this song in order for white people to finally give a shit about Latin music the past 5 years. It's not like he even respects the culture enough he's hijacking to learn the lyrics to his own song.
Lots of apparent assumptions in your post. I'm not white, far from it really lol and I wasn't referring to the Beiber version. If you think it's mediocre, so be it. I find it to be a good song, I don't understand the lyrics but it's catchy. Opinions what are they eh?

I do agre Beiber was an opportunist here, he apparently went on tours and didn't even bother to memorize the lyrics. Damn shame .

Lol reggaeton is a huge genre of Latino music, it's fun and dancy, and music is a part of culture. Ever been to a Latino club?

As a Colombian, though, it's sad when Americans dont pay enough attention to Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Carlos Vives, Daddy Yankee, Celia Cruz, Selena, Paulina Rubio, Gloria Trevi, Alejandro Sanz, Juanes, or anybody else over the years despite them releasing great music just because it's in Spanish. The only one that regularly releases hits that English-speaking Americans eat up is Pitbull and that's because he started singing pop shit in English. Then Bieber comes along and fakes Spanish on some hit already established by Fonsi and Yankee, and NOW English-speaking American people think Latino music is cool on a scale they never considered before? Now Spotify crowns Bieber as a "Latin king"? Lol

There is a lot better latino music out there than Despacito but people weren't paying attention until Bieber shows up and makes it "cool" to the masses on a level not seen before, without having any respect for the culture himself (see him faking the lyrics at a party because he didn't bother to memorize the song that made him millions).

That's life man. Drake made bachata more popular by being on that song with Romeo. Sometimes you need an English speaker on your song for mass appeal

plus Shakira, Enrique Iglesias, Daddy Yankee, Selena did have hits in the US.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im listening and keep trying to find the hook, I mean songs that usually get these views are either old classics that were popular in the past or they have some type of hook that everyone from all over the world can just get. It just seems like just a fine song so far, even the music video isnt really doing anything crazy, no super fun to do dance or anything

Cookie18

I don't think I've heard it before. Was it in a Fast and Furious movie? It sounds like it.

Edit: After listening to the whole thing I do not understand. There's no hook to it or anything, it's the same thing the whole way through. It's boring as shit.

kirby_fox

Banned
For people that haven't heard this song, where do you live?

In Texas it's on literally every radio station and I've heard it in stores, restaurants, bars, etc.

In Ohio I haven't heard it played much on the radio at all while Shape of You is still on almost every time I turn the radio on.

I'd much rather hear Despacito.

This is pretty crazy. Didn't it take Gangam Style like 3 years to reach it?

Despacito song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQP7kiw5Fk

It's a nice tune but IMO Bailando was much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUsoVlDFqZg

Bailando is also > 2B views.

I've never heard either of these. I'm in the UK and I don't listen to the radio or watch TV much, to be fair.

See You Again is about to overtake Gangnam Style as the most viewed video on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

Ah, I know this one from Fast and Furious. If it weren't for the connection to Paul Walker I don't think I'd care, but it's played extremely well in the movie and the scene with that music hits the perfect emotional beats.

mAcOdIn

Song was ok, not my genre but it was ok, but shit these top 40 stations are ass, they literally play it every hour.

It amuses me, I grew up flipping cassettes, when mp3s players came out I bemoaned the audio loss but was ecstatic at the prospect of having a vast library of music at my fingertips and then this weird generation up and decides that in an era of unprecedented capability for variety, discovery and freshness that, fuck it, they do want to be stuck listening to the same 15 songs over and over.

overcast

It's a club/party song, women like shaking their asses to it. There's no mystery here people.
^
If you go to a club you realize why shit like this exists. I don't personally love this track but I'll dance with a girl to this in a heartbeat. Just fun.

How El Sonidito didn't reach 3 billion views is beyond me. GOAT song

L3LfElc.gif

Cuatro mil milliones
/sp?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
this scares me. normally i dont care when im out of touch. But a song with 2 billion views and apparently very popular everywhere and i havent even heard of it scares me..
i should propably lift my rock a little bit...

SephiZack

The thing is that if you compare it to something like Gangnam's Style, you have to take into account the "view's inflation" because the number of viewers watching content on Youtube is increasing, so now there are many more songs reaching the billion milestone.

Also because of how Youtube's algorithm works, the increasing number of users will not be reflected on old videos as much as on newer videos because the algorithm promotes newer videos. So if Youtube's userbase keeps growing, surely there will be another song that will easily crush this record in the future

cromofo

Catchy song. For once I like the rap part, probably coz I can't understand shit but it sounds good.

The main girl is hot as fuck. Damn

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This song is pretty sweet. Kind of triggers me to hear so many people hate on it when they can't even understand it, not that it has deep lyrics or anything lol. Also seeing the name Daddy Yankee in 2017 makes me happy.

Zasa

Huh, that just seemed so bland. Lost interest halfway through. Bailando is just miles better for me, love that tempo & it's much catchier.

Edit: Alright, listened to the one featuring Bieber, then listened to the original again. Now I'm hooked.

televator

I'm in Mexico, so I listen to this song everywhere. There's no escape from it and has been like that for months.

Oh god I'm so glad I'm not down there right now. Every time I go, there is always that hit song that gets played to fuck out everywhere and you can not escape it. The only escape... is death. :p

Put me in the OG version better than the Bieber one.

El Sonidito deserves more, though: https://youtu.be/x47NYUbtYb0

This song is the greatest troll tune ever created. It's fucking art. It demands commitment and dedication and the pay off is funtastic.

Skux

Sounds like every other song in the genre. I suppose you can just listen to this song instead of all the others.

Top Bottom