• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That's about enough... open letter to SCEE...EU PSN Store vs US one = the last straw!

shifty100

Banned
Psychotext said:
Europeans screwed again... thanks for the support.

I am a european store user myself, living in the UK.

The store works, its faster and better than before. Complaining about the layout is pointless.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
shifty100 said:
I am a european store user myself, living in the UK.

The store works, its faster and better than before. Complaining about the layout is pointless.

What can I tell you, besides the faster loading GUI... how do you define the store to be "better" than the old one and how do you compare it with the organized layout the US store uses ?

IMHO, when you design a service to deliver content to users, the way you make content accessible to your users is almost as important as the very content you provide them.

shifty100

Banned
The layout of the US store has no relevance to me, being in the UK and falling under the domain of SCEE.

It's faster, intergrated and I have had no issues finding stuff on the store.

It has also just launched, so give it chance. Maybe the reason the 2 stores have the different layouts is to test the water and see which one is best received and roll that version out across the board.

Pimpwerx

I'm in the US, but I feel for the EU users. Their store is shit. Their release schedule is shit. Their support from Sony is shit. Yet, they buy the most systems every gen, and might end up buying the most software this gen. They carry the rest of us thanks to outrageous pricing over there, and still get the shaft. Yeah...it's too fucked up to ignore. There's really no reason for differentiation in the store fronts. I mean, why does JP get the nicer icons? I really like the icons on the JP store. If we don't get profile settings to customize browsing, then the layouts should be universal. The EU store is designed by an idiot. Problems people saw in the mockups are still there today. There's no excuse. I wish someone would get fired for this. PEACE.

nofi

Pimpwerx said:
I'm in the US, but I feel for the EU users. Their store is shit. Their release schedule is shit. Their support from Sony is shit. Yet, they buy the most systems every gen, and might end up buying the most software this gen.

The Euro store isn't shit. It's not as regular as the US one, but it's not shit at all. The release schedule is fine - GT5P says hi - so not sure what you're saying here.

Pimpwerx

nofi said:
The Euro store isn't shit. It's not as regular as the US one, but it's not shit at all. The release schedule is fine - GT5P says hi - so not sure what you're saying here.
Wow. GT5P makes up for the 7 months of embarassment since I got my PS3? My first games came on a gameshare from my friend in the EU. I borrowed like 10 games. Now, 7 months later or so, he still has the same number of games. It's not his fault. Either I've gotten the game first, or he did with his US account. The EU store is so shitty that you're better off with a US account, which is what most serious EU-based PSN customers do.

It may be better than the competition or whatever, but it's a travesty in comparison to the US store. I have an easier time navigating the JP store, and I don't know what the hell anything says. That's how bad the EU store is.

The real problem is that this was a big complaint all this time. The new store was shown, and almost every EU users chimed in with the same request for sorting options. The mockups suggested more of the same, but many were patient. That SCEE ignored those complaints and requests despite having a easily transferable template in the US store is inexcusable. There is no excuse, period. There is a superior option available to them, yet they continue to give their customers the inferior one. PEACE.

nofi

Pimpwerx said:
Wow. GT5P makes up for the 7 months of embarassment since I got my PS3? My first games came on a gameshare from my friend in the EU. I borrowed like 10 games. Now, 7 months later or so, he still has the same number of games. It's not his fault. Either I've gotten the game first, or he did with his US account. The EU store is so shitty that you're better off with a US account, which is what most serious EU-based PSN customers do.

It may be better than the competition or whatever, but it's a travesty in comparison to the US store. I have an easier time navigating the JP store, and I don't know what the hell anything says. That's how bad the EU store is.

The real problem is that this was a big complaint all this time. The new store was shown, and almost every EU users chimed in with the same request for sorting options. The mockups suggested more of the same, but many were patient. That SCEE ignored those complaints and requests despite having a easily transferable template in the US store is inexcusable. There is no excuse, period. There is a superior option available to them, yet they continue to give their customers the inferior one. PEACE.

Embarassment? What did we miss on PAL release that wasn't elsewhere on PS3, exactly, or are we just talking about Store releases? In comparison to the US Store I'd agree, it's not as good, but to call it 'shit' is a massive overstatement.

The reasons for the European Store changes aren't transparent, so we don't know the reasons why it is like it is, yet.

While I agree with Pana's post content is still the way more important issue. Until the EU store catches up with the US one I guess they though it would be fine to have a slightly gimped UI. It's not as if we have much to find after all.

Pimpwerx

nofi said:
Embarassment? What did we miss on PAL release that wasn't elsewhere on PS3, exactly, or are we just talking about Store releases? In comparison to the US Store I'd agree, it's not as good, but to call it 'shit' is a massive overstatement.

The reasons for the European Store changes aren't transparent, so we don't know the reasons why it is like it is, yet.
Just store releases. I'm not going to go nuts over the release of physical media, since I'm sure there's issues with distribution. But digital distribution should be universal. The store releases are horrible for the EU.

Whatever the reasons for the stupid store layout post-update, those reasons need to be excised from SCEE's ranks immediately. The current store is a result of incompetence. A store with a completely foreign alphabet is easier to navigate, I say again. WTF? PEACE.

patsu

The European store probably need to supports multiple languages. Currently, it seems that the store does not know how to sort in foreign languages yet (for View all/alphabetic and title grouping). I reckon once they add that feature to PS3 or the server, the European PS3 owners should be able to browse their store the same way as US owners.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Please proof read this. It comes of a bit strong and that may lead to it being ignored. Also, there are various grammar mistakes that will diminish your effort. Use transition words like and, but, in addition, moreover, nevertheless, etc. between sentences and paragraphs

Furthermore, you should give them more credit because your letter feels too one sided. You can change that by letting them know why you think the decisions that were made were valid but not the best fit.

/business communication 101

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jakershaker said:
While I agree with Pana's post content is still the way more important issue. Until the EU store catches up with the US one I guess they though it would be fine to have a slightly gimped UI. It's not as if we have much to find after all.

You concede on one point and you concede on both as the reason they are doing the bare minimum under both fronts is that they know they can get away with it as people do not seem to be complaining en mass with their voice or their wallet.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PistolGrip said:
Please proof read this. It comes of a bit strong and that may lead to it being ignored.

Thanks for the grammar, structure, and form comments (I won't use the excuse of English as my second language as this lengthy, boring, unstructured style of impulse writing is the same I use in Italian too).

Still, as unstructured and one sided as such rage-inspired post might have been, the post did not meet the high quality standard for threespeech's comment section: it has already been deleted which I think is another over-reaction, but on their part this time.

I've always thought the US store was much better organized before the change, even down to down to how they label each item in the thumbnail itself (DEMO, TRAILER etc).

What's the point in the UK store being different (worse) in this sense?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AmericanNinja said:
You guys get a new store and your still complaining? Oh my.

Good answer if you are following the corporation side of things, but as consumers I do not think the best strategy is being THAT submissive... getting on your knees and thank them that you are even getting attention from them.

Did the EU store have access to PSP demos before the update? I couldn't find any previously, but a few are accessable now (US store has more, of course).

But indeed wtf@"family games" tab instead of a "demos" tab.

The store is now overall a lot better than before though.

DrXym

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no view all or alphabetical search in the EU store because they haven't gotten it working properly for localized regions. That's not a very good excuse but its plausible this is why there is no master index.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DrXym said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there is no view all or alphabetical search in the EU store because they haven't gotten it working properly for localized regions. That's not a very good excuse but its plausible this is why there is no master index.

In that case I'd ALMOST feel better if they started rolling it out in the UK/English based servers... at least there could be a way for the English reading people to access the Store with a more efficient interface... then pressure at the EU level could force them "not to forget the other countries in the EU" ;).

Pallaris

Agree completely with the sentiment in the OP. Even with no index/view all, or video/image previews.... lumbering demo's and PSone games all over the shop is just ridiculous, wtf! Whoever designed the taxonomies for this thing needs a serious rethink.

Corrupt

I agree with everything in the OP. I am envious of the US content and store navigation :( I want my Crash Bandicoot trilogy

vag 2.0

At least it's open enough that we can use the JP/HK and US stores should we need. I was quite worried they would lock it all down with 2.30.

Lain

I applaud your effort Panajev2001a (also because I've been able to use this thread for another purpose too) but I already know nothing will change. Nothing has changed until now and many people are still optimistic about the future/future changes and giving chances.
I know I'm not supporting the EU PSN store anymore as that is the only kind of message they listen to. If some poor worker loses his/her job? As Reggie said: "Not my problem".

Kingsgoon

If only SCEE would do a copy/paste of the US store.
Icons are also really slow to load for me, hopefully at least that part will be fixed soon.

Kuran

Banned
I had to delete my European (main) PS3 account today, because I kept getting a ' 80023101' error when trying the PSN store.

The store went fine in my Japanese and American accounts (except that images would low sloooowly)

Its fixed now, but I hope this never happens again! Some of my save files didn't allow to be copied to other accounts, too.. so I'm screwed.

Top Bottom