• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 best animated movies - Time Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What? Not even a mention of the K-On movie. But that is set in London, has cute girls and is Japanimation. That's like the ultimate combo for greatest film of all time.

Kusagari

Pinocchio and Dumbo in the top 10 while Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast aren't even in the top 30.

What is this shit?

solomon

Unless I missed it but did nemo make the list? When I hit the top 3 I was like "yooo did they put nemo over all these other films" but yeah finding nemo should be at least top 5.
I don't agree with most of the Ghibli/Disney positions.

EDIT: Thanks Toxi just saw it.

I can maayyybbbee understand classifying King Kong as animated due to how much stop motion is present all throughout it like the 2d animation in Roger Rabbit but then like, Jason and Argonauts? Wha?
I'm baffled as well. By that logic most CGI heavy blockbusters should be eligible, in which case it's amusing to think that Gravity didn't make the list.

Yeah, useless list. Needs A Bugs Life and Plague Dogs. Akira doesn't deserve to be in the top 50 unless we are talking pure technical skill.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gravity was the best animated film of 2013.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, useless list. Needs A Bugs Life and Plague Dogs. Akira doesn't deserve to be in the top 50 unless we are talking pure technical skill.

Plague Dogs I can understand. As a spiritual sequel to Watership Down, it's extremely good but doesn't quite match up to its predecessor. A Bug's Life, though? I mean, I thought that was pretty damn mediocre. Outside of the various Cars films, it'd probably be strong contender for Pixar's worst film, imo. And I mean, this is the film I saw for my fourth birthday party, so you'd think I'd have some favourable memories of it. :p
In fairness, I probably did like it when I was four.

Plague Dogs I can understand. As a spiritual sequel to Watership Down, it's extremely good but doesn't quite match up to its predecessor. A Bug's Life, though? I mean, I thought that was pretty damn mediocre. Outside of the various Cars films, it'd probably be strong contender for Pixar's worst film, imo. And I mean, this is the film I saw for my fourth birthday party, so you'd think I'd have some favourable memories of it. :p
In fairness, I probably did like it when I was four.

I saw it 5 times in the theater. Ever scene is clever, ever scene does something to drive the plot forward. The characters all have something to do. It moves like a rocket and doesn't DreamWorks the plot with constant cultural references. On top of that it is beautiful and visually inventive. I just found it had a damn good story. Certainly better than Antz.

A Bug's Life is awful.

You are not saying anything.

But Bugs Life is like the worst pixar movie.

So it is a 9/10 then.

overcast

Peter Pan and Lion King seem verryyyy low. Frozen ahead of Aladdin, WHAT THE FUCK. Lego Movie just came out, not sure you can put it that high, and it's just not better than a lot of those. Yellow Submarine being overrated because of its reputation.

Love Paprika, so pls stop guys. This Chomet and Wallace and Gromit love makes me a happy man. It's a good list, but it just needs to have some spots switched.

Haven't seen a few of these, and I feel like I should start.

Toxi

Banned
Peter Pan and Lion King seem verryyyy low. Frozen ahead of Aladdin, WHAT THE FUCK. Lego Movie just came out, not sure you can put it that high, and it's just not better than a lot of those. Yellow Submarine being overrated because of its reputation.

Love Paprika, so pls stop guys. This Chomet and Wallace and Gromit love makes me a happy man. It's a good list, but it just needs to have some spots switched.

Haven't seen a few of these, and I feel like I should start.
The Lego Movie is the best animated movie I've seen in years. I would be more surprised if it wasn't on the list. Just the animation alone should give it a spot.

Pretty great list despite whatever choices I disagreed with (The Lion King, B&TB, TS3 and Aladdin being ranked too low while The Jungle Book continued its tradition of being the most overrated animated film ever created). I was tickled to see Fantastic Mr. Fox rank so high and was surprised to see Robin Hood land on the list (the reused animation is so sloppy, but the movie's so fun I don't even care).

Can't really argue with Pinnochio being number one; that movie is magic.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Incidentally, while we're discussing Watership Down and Plague Dogs, does anyone else feel that they really missed something by not doing Shardik as well?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And like where was the Pokémon Movie? That has like the saddest moment ever in all of cinematic history.

overcast

The Lego Movie is the best animated movie I've seen in years. I would be more surprised if it wasn't on the list. Just the animation alone should give it a spot.
Top 50 is a stretch, especially considering what it's ahead of. I loved the movie, and since 2010, it's probably in my 5 favorite animated movies. Seems premature to me.

Dai101

Banned
Also, The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie? That was just a collection of various Looney Tunes episodes with a terrible wrap around. It doesn't even have a single Clampett short. Bleh.

My thoughts exactly. You want a better "movie" with the LT shorts attached? Bugs Bunny Superstar is the best in that case. It has everything that other awful compilation has and even more with insights and interviews of a few key people. Really, fuck you jones.

whoszed

Well, okay. That's a list, I don't really agree with it but it's still a list. Toy Story 3 is perhaps the best Toy Story for starters. Although they're all so good that who really cares.

Kind of cool to see Totoro there, I don't think it's incredible, more like a cute little movie but I guess that's why it's cool to see it so high up.

Also I'm probably the only one who doesn't think Lion King is the greatest thing ever filmed. I just thought it was pretty good. It's a totally solid movie so it's just a matter of personal preference which one of the many great animated films you happen to enjoy the most.

So
basically these types of lists are a gigantic waste of everyone's time.

Mononoke

Banned
Incoming Frozen rage

Don't really get why there needs to be rage. Then again, I know people that swear up and down this is a masterpiece film. I just don't get it. I really enjoyed the movie and all, but I still didn't think it was breathtaking or masterful by any means. I also saw Miyazaki's The Wind Rises around the same time (I watched Frozen much later after release), and I thought Frozen paled in comparison. I mean, The Wind Rises had some pacing/script issues to be sure. But the overall animation + story/themes was IMO much more profound and impacting.

I could totally see Frozen being a more entertaining film. I dunno. Fuck. I feel like I'm just in the minority at this point with Frozen.

I'm totally fine with Spirited Away being that high up on the list. I actually like Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke more than it, but I recently re-watched Spirited Away years later, and I think it's a really beautiful film that balances a lot of his signature elements that he built up over his long career (it's funny, entertaining + serious too). It's just a beautiful film too (animation wise).

King Kong? Really? I know it's stop motion and some of it is "animated" but most of King Kong is live-action. How is that on a great animated movie list?

Edit - I scroll down and immediately see Jason and the Argonauts. WTF?

Never before has an internet list filled me with so much rage.

Millenium Actress under Kung Fu Panda.

KUNG
FU
PANDA

iKfxeW6AFKAPn.gif

Fuck everything.

I know, right? Kung Fu Panda 2 got snubbed!

Not even joking, I loved Kung Fu Panda 2, probably my favorite Dreamworks movie.

So it is a 9/10 then.

Worse than Cars 2 is not a 9/10 by any metric.

I could totally see Frozen being a more entertaining film. I dunno. Fuck. I feel like I'm just in the minority at this point with Frozen.

I feel the same. It's great, but nothing spectacular (I felt the same way about Tangled). I preferred their recent 2D outputs.

No Mask of the Phantasm? Aw, that's one of the best Batman movies.

That's the best Batman movie. I was holding out hope that it'd be on there. DC makes some great animated movies, would have been nice to see them represented.

Don't agree with most of the list, but I'm sure it's a combination of my tastes being different and not growing up with certain films.

I would have ranked a lot of Studio Ghibli films much higher and in different order but I guess thats just my taste.

List seems decent enough though I don't really understand the justification for some of the picks (Pinnochio). Though I suspect that's just a lack of knowledge on my part.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel the same. It's great, but nothing spectacular (I felt the same way about Tangled). I preferred their recent 2D outputs.

Yeah. I just find it fascinating. I mean I do GET IT. I get why people love this movie. But at least in my experience (the people I know, and the reactions I saw firsthand), went beyond just loving the film on an entertainment level. So many people I know think it's the greatest animated film of this generation. And this kind of reaction extended beyond just what I experienced (I saw it online, and had friends in other countries say the same thing).

The one thing a lot of people bring up, is how the movie kicks aside the overused trope in Disney films (and animated films in general), with the Prince saving the girl (damsel in distress). That it was a movie that focused on the bond between two family members (sisters). And I can totally agree that this is refreshing. I think we need more of this. But at least to me, it didn't change the fact that overall story was pretty bland and the script felt...undercooked. I dunno. Just so many elements of this movie seemed subpar to me. I don't even like most of the musical numbers either.

I seriously don't understand how Totoro, Nightmare before Christmas and Fantastic Mr. Fox are in the top 10. I like them, these are good movies, I would recommend them to anyone.

And while I don't agree with this ranking at all, but I can understand it, I can understand why the 7 other movies on the Top 10 are there. But not these 3 movies.

I mean Totoro is great, I love this movie a lot but there's a so big difference of quality in storytelling, characters and everything between Totoro and Spirited Away. And these are just one behind the other.

It's not like "ugh my favourite movie is not other", I'm a big animation and cartoons fan and this top makes no sense to me.

Personally, while the list does a good job of highlighting a number of lesser-known titles that are worthy of attention I'd argue that the ranking is completely insane and the amount of recency bias is staggering, especially later down the list.
My same sentiments. This list is all sorts of screwed up, but seeing Prince Achmed on there made me smile.

King Kong? Really? I know it's stop motion and some of it is "animated" but most of King Kong is live-action. How is that on a great animated movie list?

Edit - I scroll down and immediately see Jason and the Argonauts. WTF?
Probably giving credit to an animator that was animating entirely using his mind and a surface gauge on a table. Seriously, that is some of the most insanely impressive animation ever done, as far as I'm concerned.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Despite a few glaring omissions and some wonky placement, 99% of this list is good stuff and well worth watching

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Peter Pan and Lion King seem verryyyy low. Frozen ahead of Aladdin, WHAT THE FUCK. Lego Movie just came out, not sure you can put it that high, and it's just not better than a lot of those.
I dunno, looking at some of the other movies they have ahead of it I could see The LEGO movie being significantly higher

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Am I the only one who thinks Spirited Away is overrated? Good movie, but I rank it low on my list of other Miyazaki films.

For having a pretty good inclusion of anime films the total snub of any of Hosoda's films is disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom