• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 best animated movies - Time Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Was surprised Frozen and the LEGO movie were on the list given how new they are.

And on that note, the LEGO movie was way too low.

Reading through the list in its entirety they said that vote collection started before the LEGO Movie was released. Like I said, in a decade I bet it does a lot higher.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Chicken Run over HTTYD?

Where the hell is Prince of Egypt?

Nice to see Incredibles and Iron Giant make the top 10 though.

I normally don't get bothered by internet lists, but not having The Land Before Time on there is pretty LOL.

Unless I missed it. In any case, it should be top ten at least.

Lists only exist to talk about how dumb they are.

The order is only interesting in seeing which biases won out... there seriously needs to be a moratorium on putting anything from the past five years on an "all-time" list.

jb1234

I feel the same. It's great, but nothing spectacular (I felt the same way about Tangled). I preferred their recent 2D outputs.

Both movies are overrated, although entertaining. They just didn't stick with me. Tangled is probably a notch better, though.

Huh ? What are you referring too?
This
If you want to find something slightly more useful you can check out the lists of each individual contributor e.g. Wes Anderson's favourite animated movies in this section.
Anderson's list is...

Akira
The Iron Giant
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
101 Dalmatians
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
The Secret of NIMH
Spirited Away
Watership Down

I never realized The Secret of NIHM was about lab rats. Huh. I mean, I haven't seen it in nearly two dozen years, but still I'm floored to read that. I gotta watch it again.

Crazyorloco

The Lion King aka the greatest movie ever made is number 71, while Dumbo is number 6. Think about that.

Thank you. I can't take the list seriously. I like the movies on the list, but the order is ridiculous. The lion king is a top 10 movie (for me it's number 1).

Woah, this is one of the least disgusting lists I've seen in a long time. Not that I agree with everything in it (UP, Lion King, Aladdin are too low, while TIG is a little bit too high, but only a little).

Because old Disney had BALLS!

Smoking_Pinocchio.jpg

truth. they need to get back to that.
won't happen

Herne

Lord of the Rings? That shouldn't be anywhere near this list. And Secret of Kells absolutely should be on there. Happy to see Chomet's work given credit, though.

ohkay

I was expecting worse for the list, but I'm glad Spirited Away, Incredibles, Iron Giant, Akira and Fantastic Mr. Fox are high up. I think they also picked the right Pixar and Ghibli films (but not in the right order)

Sheroking

They are better than most of Renaissance movie with the expectation of The Lion King And Beauty and The Beast.

They are most definitely not.

Snow White especially is a dull, character-less, message-less pile of mediocrity that gets it's status as a classic because it was the first of it's kind.

Even the weakest of modern Disney dominates it from every angle of storytelling, character development and music.

Pinocchio is one of the greatest films ever made. I'm glad it's finally getting the recognition it deserves. This is a surprisingly solid list, although Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast should be much higher.

The best things about this list are Spirited Away near the top, and Hosoda not having anything on it. Not bad.

The most surprising rankings are Aladdin and The Lion King being so low. It's been a while since I've seen The Lion King (from my memory it should be much higher), but Aladdin is awesome. Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast should both be top 30, probably top 20, even if that meant putting them ahead of Wallace and Gromit, Ratatouille, and Up (which are all very good).

Their ordering of Ghibli movies is spot on all the way through if you ignore how many spaces there are between them. I'd switch a few but nothing big. Last time I saw Spirited Away it totally won me over.

Perfect Blue making the list at all is great. Even though I think it should be way higher while Paprika should be lower, it's better than expected.

I'd rank both the Kung Fu Panda movies ahead of HTTYD, so it doesn't bother me where they put the first one.

Tokyo Godfathers, Mind Game, Tangled, Whisper of the Heart all in a row is perfect.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wait, since when was ParaNorman a CGI flick (according to the list's tags)?

Since the stop-motion animation in it is so good that everyone thought it was CG. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason the trailers for The Boxtrolls feature footage of the animators doing their jobs so prominently.

Trakdown

I
Also, The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie? That was just a collection of various Looney Tunes episodes with a terrible wrap around. It doesn't even have a single Clampett short. Bleh.

Yeah, this pretty much disqualifies the list for me. Especially putting it ahead of Millenium Actress.

How the fuck is the Lion King not on the top 10? Same with Princess Mononoke

Happy to see fantastic Mr. Fox get some love but otherwise the list is BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom