• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 best animated movies - Time Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Incredibles top 5? Huh. If you had to throw in a recent pixar/dreamworks film to fill out the top ten, why not Up?

Up is only good for the first 10 minutes. Then it becomes a predictable adventure with a forced villain and meh sidekick. The Incredibles is far better imo, basically the cartoon version of Watchmen.

Eusis

Being satisfied with the ranking of choices over a medium this old and with a list that long was practically impossible anyway, I'm just glad they covered all or at least nearly all of the movies that came to mind as legitimately great or at least noteworthy.

Smellycat

Never before has an internet list filled me with so much rage.

Millenium Actress under Kung Fu Panda.

KUNG
FU
PANDA

iKfxeW6AFKAPn.gif

Fuck everything.

OMG

Millennium Actress is one of my favorite movies. It is incredible. SMH at this list

Up is only good for the first 10 minutes. Then it becomes a predictable adventure with a forced villain and meh sidekick. The Incredibles is far better imo, basically the cartoon version of Watchmen.

I gotta tell you, I didn't see anything special in the Incredibles, it seemed completely generic to me... that one must have just went completely over my head I guess.

This list has a bunch of really, really weird choices. Dumbo being top 10 is hilarious. Disney didn't even give a fuck about that movie as he was gallivanting all over Latin America.

The lack of Secret of Kells was proof that the list is horrible. Fritz the Cat is better than everything below it? Heavy Metal is better than Fritz the Cat for what it is...

Blink Me

Kung Fu Panda beat Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland and Robin Hood. Lol

Otherwise the list isn't that bad from the ones I've seen.

And also why do you guys hate Dumbo? That scene when Dumbo's with his mum was beautiful.

sonicmj1

I'd agree that the ordering of this list is pretty nonsensical, but as an unordered list of excellent movies, it seems pretty great. There are a number of little known European films I didn't know about that I'd like to seek out now.

akaoni

Banned
There's barely anyone around that's qualified enough to pass judgement as it is, ask a bunch of people from a bubble what they think the best is and you're going to end up with a list heavily skewed towards said bubble.

All I took from this was that Wes Anderson has one hell of a top ten, and Mamoru Hosoda's work is either insanely underappreciated or has somehow gone by unseen by this select group.

What the hell at the latter.

vikki

I always dislike these lists. Nothing about that list or any other list will make me feel any different about my favorite animated movies. There will always be a large portion of the list that I disagree with and I'm not about to argue that one thing should be way higher just to debunk some guy's arbitrary list.

ckohler

Not a bad list. The order seems to be heavily weighted more on the "artistic" slant than pure entertainment but that makes sense considering who voted.

It's nice that they included The Triplets of Belleville , but the list still needed The Emperor's New Groove.

Good lord yes, one of the funniest animated movies ever. I don't care for David Spade (always get his name confused with James Spader), but man I probably rewatch this once a year.

tumblr_lthlm6ncaW1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Ninjimbo

That top ten is almost indisputable. Very impressive list. The only ones I can maybe argue against are Dumbo and Totoro, but I can't deny the craft and influence of those particular two. I think they deserve those spots.

Spirited Away being number two brings a smile to my face. It's my favorite film of all time. It's great to see its reputation continue to grow.

ohkay

I was surprised that The Incredibles and the original Toy Story placed higher. Are they widely considered to be better movies? I personally don't think so.
Purely anecdotal, but I know more people who would put The Incredibles and Toy Story over Finding Nemo, myself included.

I must be some sort of traditionalist because whenever I scrolled and saw a CG movie my eyes just glossed over.
The order is kind of weird to me overall, especially concerning the Ghibli movies, but it certainly does impress the idea that Miyazaki is pretty unrivaled in the industry.

That is just too broad of a category really. Where are the classics like Ghost in the Shell or Ninja Scroll? I could not stop watching those when I was younger. Anime back then was really pushing the limits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom