• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 Hardest Video-Game Bosses, Ranked

mrmickfran

My top ten would probably be:

1. Devil May Cry 3 - Final Vergil (Dante Must Die)
2. Bayonetta 2 - Father Rodin
3. Bayonetta - Father Rodin
4. God Hand - Double Handed Gene
5. Viewtiful Joe - King Blue (Ultra V-Rated)
6. Bloodborne - Ludwig
7. Kingdom Hearts 2 - Terra
8. Ninja Gaiden - Alma
9. Devil May Cry - Final Nightmare (Dante Must Die)
10. Shinobi (PS2) - Hiruko

TannerDemoz

hqdefault.jpg

Mystical Ninja starring Goemon says hi.

Nameless King No.3?

Is this a joke?

My No.1 pick would be Flamelurker and Maneater solo on your first playthrough, especially if Demon's Souls is your first Souls game.

Demon's Souls was my first and I would definitely give it to Old King Allant. That dude fucked my world up.

O&S was really not as bad as I thought it would be. IDK what people had such a hard time with, just dodge one and focus on the other. I think I did Smough first.

I'd say my top 5:

1. Ruby Weapon - FFVII (Both Weapons nigh-impossible without the right materia)
2. Emerald Weapon - FFVII
3. Old King Allant (Demon's Souls)
4. Lady Vox (EverQuest when it first came out)
5. Ultimecia - FFVIII

Shout Out: Kerafyrm (EverQuest - this one is a cop-out as he was unkillable without breaking the game).

C'thun is the hardest boss fight I've ever taken on, but not because of C'thun himself. It's the fact that you had to organize 40 people to NOT STAND WHERE HIS EYEBEAM WILL SHOOT WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU IT GLOWS.

Thud

hqdefault.jpg

YGO Forbidden Memories son
each one of these 6 guys alone is tough as balls. Metal Zoa, Meteor B Dragon, Blue Eyes Ultimate, FHD up the ass. And you have to beat all 6 of them to beat the game. back to back. without saving.

It truly is the dark souls of card games.

And the shoehorning in of Destiny for the clickbait element is always worth an eye-roll. Hard pass on this article based on its premise alone.

Yep, the whole premise was a bit odd: with the Souls-like games being as popular as ever and some tough as nails platformers that came out these years, plus Cuphead (a notoriously hard and insanely anticipated title) coming that is almost entirely about beating hardcore bosses... they chose to connect the boss piece to the fact that the new Destiny raid obviously had a boss, one that was beaten after like 6 hours, many of which were spent understanding the game's rules and with nobody fully geared yet increasing the challenge. Coincidentally, that boss also became the hardest ever. Not the dudes in fighting games that read your input and counter your every move. Not bosses in japanese shmups where you literally need pixel precision not to be blown up, sometimes for like 10-15 minutes in a row nonetheless. Not hours long battles in MMOs, but this. Quality stretch if I've ever seen one.

Sephzilla

Devil May Cry is heavily disrespected on this list. Vergil should be way higher.

Also, Kingdom Hearts 1 Sephiroth is harder than Kingdom Hearts 2 Sephiroth

Marcel

Yep, the whole premise was a bit odd: with the Souls-like games being as popular as ever and some tough as nails platformers that came out these years, plus Cuphead (a notoriously hard and insanely anticipated title) coming that is almost entirely about beating hardcore bosses... they chose to connect the boss piece to the fact that the new Destiny raid obviously had a boss, one that was beaten after like 6 hours, many of which were spent understanding the game's rules and with nobody fully geared yet increasing the challenge. Coincidentally, that boss also became the hardest ever. Not the dudes in fighting games that read your input and counter your every move. Not bosses in japanese shmups where you literally need pixel precision not to be blown up, sometimes for like 10-15 minutes in a row nonetheless. Not hours long battles in MMOs, but this. Quality stretch if I've ever seen one.

Vulture is continually attempting to be a Buzzfeed alternative so it's no surprise that their premise for the article and choices for the list are weak and obvious.

they chose to connect the boss piece to the fact that the new Destiny raid obviously had a boss, one that was beaten after like 6 hours, many of which were spent understanding the game's rules and with nobody fully geared yet increasing the challenge. Coincidentally, that boss also became the hardest ever.

You keep embarrassing yourself. The new raid boss doesn't appear anywhere on the list.

The ๖ۜBronx;250061490 said:
More accurate is always possible in that sense, and your suggestions have some gaping holes in them themselves. The idea of being irritated because a publications top-100 list doesn't match your own seems stupid considering such an expectation is impossible to live up to. There will always be missing games, there will always be bosses you found tough not on the list.

I'm not irritated specifically because it doesn't match my own experience, or doesn't contain bosses I found tough. It's not about me. The problem is that I am confident it doesn't apply in a broad sense to most gamers, not just me or the writers of the article.

Like, I don't play Dark Souls games, and I expect plenty of those bosses to be really tough. But seeing so many Dark Souls bosses on this list doesn't jibe with the fact that I know tons of people online who have beaten those games. That means those bosses really cannot be that insanely tough, compared to some others.

A lot of people here who have beaten Dark Souls games probably couldn't legit beat most NES games. And if the list is supposed to be top 100, all-time, it needs to factor more of those in. Punch Out is on the list because Punch Out was popular. Ditto for Castlevania. If everyone started diving into NES games maybe we'd discover that, I dunno, some rando games like Astyanax or Bayou Billy or Silver Surfer contain harder bosses than Dark Souls.

Drain You

Some weird inclusions in that list. All I have to say is fuck Skolas. I never enjoyed that fight, every other raid or end game boss encounter I enjoyed in Destiny. Not Skolas though.

Sesha

This list is terrible. A number of entries made me roll my eyes at the notion of them being "hard", and the omissions are blatant and numerous.

How did dark link make it and not DMC bosses, castlevania bosses or freaking worm from lost odyssey? There is also the ex dungeon bosses from star Ocean 4.

Marcel

The ๖ۜBronx;250062813 said:
You keep embarrassing yourself.

Being a Destiny stan is the most embarrassing thing there is. Your entire gimmick is sniffing out Destiny being mentioned in a thread and like an old bloodhound you're there doing the usual whining and barking complete with fanboy persecution complex.

I'm not irritated specifically because it doesn't match my own experience, or doesn't contain bosses I found tough. It's not about me. The problem is that I am confident it doesn't apply in a broad sense to most gamers, not just me or the writers of the article.

Hey, sorry – I didn't mean you specifically I was referring to those in the thread that did seem irritated by it. For me it's a conversation starter, nothing more. Not something to be taken too seriously and then slammed when it doesn't match people's own lists.

Being a Destiny stan is the most embarrassing thing there is. Your entire gimmick is sniffing out Destiny being mentioned in a thread and like an old bloodhound you're there doing the usual fanboy whining and barking.

He mentioned the new raid boss and said it came #1 on the list, when it doesn't appear anywhere on the list. Sorry, but I find moaning about the order of a "hardest bosses" list and the fact Destiny bosses are on it, while not even knowing which bosses were which, is pretty embarrassing.

Not sure how you can claim something shouldn't be on the list when you aren't even aware of the boss you're referencing and complaining about. Let me know if you want to contest that.

Sesha

Vergil as the only DMC boss at 82th, and the only other spectacle fighter boss besides Alma, is embarrassing.

Marcel

The ๖ۜBronx;250063089 said:
He mentioned the new raid boss and said it came #1 on the list, when it doesn't appear anywhere on the list.

Wow, the guy who clearly doesn't play Destiny got some Destiny boss' name confused. Glad you were here to set that injustice right, poindexter. Don't you have content to repeat or something?

shaowebb

If that list doesnt have Arcana Heart 2 Paracelsia or Larsa from Mushihimesama Futari it is completely fraudulent mainstream wank drivel.Time to read and see how well they know games.

Im still waiting for the three golden pigs from atelier iris eternal mana to show up in a list. Ive never seen video proof of them beaten and I once gameshark max leveled my roster for it.

Edit: And surprise surprise its casual bosses that arent superbad for all 100 slots. That list is super fraudulent in the op. Lookup the ones i said and learn what get good means.

Tiops

Oh wow, the Number 1 is a Destiny boss? LMAO. Come on, it's pretty obvious the author likes Destiny, as he opens the list with a text praising it, but it's ridiculous. These lists are always kinda bad, but at least they try to be consistent with the first position.

I can understand that they didn't just fill the top 20 with MMOs and shmup bosses, as it would be a boring list, but they did include FFXI in the list but put a Destiny boss at #1.

Wow, the guy who clearly doesn't play Destiny got some Destiny boss' name confused. Glad you were here to set that injustice right, poindexter. Don't you have content to repeat or something?
It's more someone insinuated that the #1 boss was chosen because it was the boss of the (new) Destiny 2 raid, when that boss isn't even on the list. That aside, I'm not sure how you can criticize the placement of a boss on a 'hardest list' if you've never attempted to beat it.

Marcel

Oh wow, the Number 1 is a Destiny boss? LMAO. Come on, it's pretty obvious the author likes Destiny, as he opens the list with a text praising it, but it's ridiculous. These lists are always kinda bad, but at least they try to be consistent with the first position.

I can understand that they didn't just fill the top 20 with MMOs and shmup bosses, as it would be a boring list, but they did include FFXI in the list but put a Destiny boss at #1.

Destiny = clicks. Vulture is just late to the attention getting party that game websites were having years ago.

Marcel

The ๖ۜBronx;250063530 said:
It's more someone insinuated that the #1 boss was chosen because it was the boss of the (new) Destiny 2 raid, when that boss isn't even on the list. That aside, I'm not sure how you can criticize the placement of a boss on a 'hardest list' if you've never attempted to beat it.

Destiny's idea of hard is including a feature length hide and shoot bullet sponge and occasionally doing a mechanic like standing on a plate or moving a ball. So difficult.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
"Well that's just some weak-ass shit"
"I mean, that's probably single-player only games or something"

>Pandemonium Warden shows up at 11
Well, wtf?
>C'thun at 2, under Skolas

.. okay, no. That's just pathetic.
Actually hard bosses are WoW\XIV\etc raids. Everything else is kind of weaksauce.

I'm currently playing, and our go at Mythic Gul'dan - 286 tries over 36 hours of raiding in two weeks - is a very good result.
And even that pales in comparison to the folly that Pandemonium Warden \ Absolute Virtue was.

Basically nothing from MMOs, no mention of bullet hell shooters, nothing from hardcore indie platformers.

Yep, this list is basically "100 bosses that are mostly known among casual gamers", nowhere near ranked in difficulty.

Yeah I stopped paying attention once I realized this.

Destiny's idea of hard is including a feature length hide and shoot bullet sponge and occasionally doing a mechanic like standing on a plate or moving a ball. So difficult.
You've dodged the point to make some juvenile reduction, implying there's no difficulty in any of Destiny's raids blind.

The issue was someone was insinuating that the #1 on the list was chosen because it was the boss of the D2 raid, when it isn't and said boss doesn't even make the list.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
4. “Through the Fire and Flames”
If you're going to count songs in a rhythm game as bosses, then you might as well rename this list to top 100 hardest rhythm game songs, because the truth is, those things can get insane.

Timeaisis

Where are all the Devil May Cry bosses?

Shadow of Yharnum should not be on the list, there are way harder bosses in Soulsborne that you could put in place of it.

Also, way too many FF bosses and not much love for other RPGs. Giygas is a weird inclusion, for example. Not really all that difficult. Like Ozma is harder than Giygas, yet they needed a non-FF boss I guess? Who knows.

Nameless King at #3 seems ok to me I guess.

Ushay

Dark Souls - Ornstein & Smough, these guys were not gentle with me at all. Fight became trivial with a coop buddy.

Baldurs Gate 2 - Firkraag, I had to cheese this bastard by throwing poison clouds off screen.

TheMink

I like the list but the ordering is weird. Lingering Will is one of the hardest fights ever. KHII Sephiroth is not even the hardest Sephiroth fight and is easier than every single data org fight.

Marcel

I like the list but the ordering is weird. Lingering Will is one of the hardest fights ever. KHII Sephiroth is not even the hardest Sephiroth fight and is easier than every single data org fight.

Any boss that has well-known cheese strats like Lingering Will should not be included on a list of hard bosses.

Zolo

hqdefault.jpg

YGO Forbidden Memories son
each one of these 6 guys alone is tough as balls. Metal Zoa, Meteor B Dragon, Blue Eyes Ultimate, FHD up the ass. And you have to beat all 6 of them to beat the game. back to back. without saving.

lmao. I remember grinding for Meteor B Dragon (never got him) and using the memory card trick to get a lot of awesome magic cards.

Puru

It's a weak list.
It's obvious shmups or even the legendary bullshit fighting game final boss could make it with ease and dominate the top 20+ and let's not forget rythm game songs since they included those.
Then you have stuff like Dark Fact and a few ys boss or some Rabi Ribi bosses to name a few games that are completely missing in favor or random stuff (seriously the vortex queen isn't hard, what's hard is "welcome to hell" and that i'd agree for it's inclusion).
Special mention to Marrow final boss while i'm at it, it's a bad fight but it deserve a spot in most bullshit boss fights ever conceived.

Toxi

Banned
You're asking a lot of a broad entertainment site that is simply doing list wars to actually play Monster Hunter and get to this boss.
I was really just looking for an excuse to post that video. :p Clashing Fists is fucking ridiculous though, and I will almost certainly never beat it when I don't know any people who own Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS.

I don't really begrudge this type of list. Yeah, it's clear the writer was very enamored with Souls and Destiny and Kingdom Hearts, but that's how these lists tend to go. They tend to be filled with bosses from the games you really enjoyed.

I wouldn't even put the Shadow of Yharnam in my top 10 hardest bosses in Bloodborne.

It probably isn't technically a 'boss' but the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst is the hardest thing in that entire game outside of Orphan of Kos.

Yeah, Shadow of Yharnam is a weird choice. Is the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst the one who
kills Eileen the Crow
then you fight him in the cathedral?

Toxi

Banned
Yeah, Shadow of Yharnam is a weird choice. Is the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst the one who
kills Eileen the Crow
then you fight him in the cathedral?
Yep. I never found him that bad, but admittedly that's very dependent on your weapon choice. Something like the Church Pick destroys him.

Hybris

I don't even know why someone would bother attempting a list like this. It's always going to be wrong no matter how experienced you are with gaming. You can't play enough games to even begin a list like this. It's a bit different when ranking the best games because word of mouth travels fast for which games you should bother playing. But for something like difficulty, there are thousands of bullshit unfair bosses that won't ever be seen on a list like this because not many people say "Hey I'm looking for something extremely unfair and frustratingly hard." Those are the bosses that should really be on the list.

Top Bottom