• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 15 Netflix Original Series to be Excited About in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. They also have a "Why You Should Care" section. Also, not counting series that were renewed.

• Chelsea Does (Jan 23rd):

What is it? "Chelsea Does" is a four-part Netflix Documentary Series featuring Chelsea Handler exploring four topics of personal and universal fascination: marriage, racism, Silicon Valley and drugs. With her unique voice and provocative point of view, Chelsea will be seen confronting the topics that connect humanity, having the hard conversations about things that are not easy to talk about, and calibrating and learning who she is along the way.

I'll like it if I like... when "Chelsea Lately" took itself (somewhat) seriously.
  • Fuller House (Feb. 26th):

What is it? In "Fuller House," the adventures that began in 1987 on "Full House" continue, with veterinarian D.J. Tanner-Fuller (Candace Cameron Bure) recently widowed and living in San Francisco. D.J.'s younger sister/aspiring musician Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin) and D.J.'s lifelong best friend/fellow single mother Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber), along with Kimmy's feisty teenage daughter Ramona (Soni Nicole Bringas), all move in to help take care of D.J.'s three boys — the rebellious 12-year-old Jackson (Michael Champion), neurotic 7-year-old Max (Elias Harger) and her newborn baby, Tommy Jr (Messitt Twins).

I'll like it if I like... "Full House," we presume.
  • Love (Feb/March):

What is it? "Love" follows nice guy Gus (Paul Rust) and brazen wild-child Mickey (Gillian Jacobs) as they navigate the exhilarations and humiliations of intimacy, commitment, love and other things they were hoping to avoid. "Love" is an unflinching, hilarious and excruciatingly honest take on modern relationships.

I'll like it if I like... a blend of "Girls," "You're the Worst" and "Knocked Up."
  • Marseille (March):

What is it? "Marseille" focuses on Robert Taro (Gerard Depardieu), the mayor of the Southern French city for 25 years. In the coming election, he faces off against his chosen successor, an ambitious young political contender who's Taro's match when it comes to craving power. A tale of revenge and political posturing, "Marseille" also throws the city’s drug lords, politicians, unions and political players into the mix.

I'll like it if I like... "House of Cards" with a French twist.
  • The Ranch (Mid-2016):

What is it? Executive produced by Don Reo ("Two and Half Men," "My Wife and Kids") and Jim Patterson ("Two and a Half Men," "Mike and Molly"), the Netflix original comedy series reunites Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson, the stars of "That 70s Show" which delighted audiences around the world for eight years with its wacky, knowing take on 1970s teen-dom. Set on a Colorado ranch, the new series will see Kutcher returning home after a brief semi-pro football career to run the family business with his brother (Masterson).

I'll like it if I like... "Two and a Half Men," "That 70s Show" and Ashton Kutcher.
  • Luke Cage (Fall 2016):

What is it? Remember "Marvel's Jessica Jones"? Remember the hunky bartender with impenetrable skin? Remember how awesome he was, even compared to the insurmountable awesomeness of Jessica Jones? Well, this is his show.

I'll like it if I like... "Jessica Jones"... or "Daredevil" (hopefully the former more than the latter).
  • Flaked (TBD 2016):

What is it? "Flaked" focuses on Chip (Will Arnett), a self-appointed guru who's built a business on his own lies, but gets tripped up after falling for his best friend's girl (Ruth Kearney, "The Following").

I'll like it if I like...The Gob sections of "Arrested Development" Season 4.
  • The OA (TBD 2016):

What is it? Netflix is keeping a tight lid on the plot of Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij's upcoming drama, but the two have partnered before for the well-received indie films "Sound of My Voice" and "The East." Odds are the eight-episode first season will follow in their thrilling footsteps (and, based on the show's Netflix page, possibly include a wee bit of sensuality).

I'll like it if I like..."Sound of My Voice," "The East" and/or Brit freakin' Marling.
  • The Get Down (TBD 2016):

What is it? ["The Get Down"] will focus on 1970s New York City — broken down and beaten up, violent, cash-strapped — dying. Consigned to rubble, a rag-tag crew of South Bronx teenagers are nothings and nobodies with no one to shelter them — except each other, armed only with verbal games, improvised dance steps, some magic markers and spray cans. From Bronx tenements, to the SoHo art scene; from CBGBs to Studio 54 and even the glass towers of the just-built World Trade Center, "The Get Down" is a mythic saga of how New York at the brink of bankruptcy gave birth to hip-hop, punk and disco — told through the lives and music of the South Bronx kids who changed the city, and the world...forever. [official synopsis via Netflix]

I'll like it if I like... a combination of "Moulin Rouge!" and "The Shield," maybe with a 2:1 ratio favoring the former.
  • The Crown (TBD 2016):

What is it? "The Crown" tells the inside story of two of the most famous addresses in the world — Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street — and the intrigues, love lives and machinations behind the great events that shaped the second half of the 20th century. Two houses, two courts, one Crown. Each season of "The Crown" will explore the political rivalries and personal intrigues across a decade of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign, exploring the delicate balance between her private world and public life. Season 1 begins with a 25-year-old Princess faced with the daunting prospect of leading the most famous monarchy in the world while forging a relationship with the domineering, war-hardened Prime Minister Winston Churchill. [official synopsis via Netflix]

I'll like it if I like... "The Queen," "Frost/Nixon" and "The Special Relationship" with a dash of "Billy Elliot" and the 11th Doctor.
  • Stranger Things (TBD 2016):

What is it? A love letter to the ’80s classics that captivated a generation, "Stranger Things" is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl. [official synopsis via Netflix]

I'll like it if I like... "The Last Starfighter," "E.T." or maybe "The X-Files" as a period thriller set in rural Indiana.
  • Lady Dynamite (TBD 2016):

What is it? Maria Bamford's original Netflix comedy is based on what she has accepted to be "her life." The occasionally surreal episodes, refracted across multiple periods inspired by the actor/comedian’s life, tell the story of a woman who loses — and then finds — her s**t. [official synopsis via Netflix]

I'll like it if I like... Maria Bamford and "Louie."
  • Frontier (TBD 2016):

What is it? "Frontier" is a drama following the wild fight over the North American fur trade during the late 18th century. Negotiations are made with violence rather than reason, and the multiple perspectives incorporated to tell the story should provide a voice to everyone involved in the battle, from Native tribes to Europeans.

I'll like it if I like... "Hell on Wheels" (pessimistically), "Deadwood" (optimistically)
  • 3% (Late 2016):

What is it? The first Netflix original series to be shot in Brazil, this Portuguese-language thriller is set in a world that's been sharply divided between two extremes: progress and devastation. People are given a chance to make it to the "better side," but only 3 percent succeed.

I'll like it if I like...the idea of pairing "City of God" with "The Hunger Games."
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events (Late 2016):

What is it? Based on the novels by Daniel Handler (aka, Lemony Snicket), "A Series of Unfortunate Events" focuses on three orphaned kids who fight to overcome their oppressive new "father," Count Olaf, as they search for the real reason for their parents' death.

I'll like it if I like..."Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" (starring Jim Carrey) and/or Handler's popular novels.

Vashetti

Banned
A Series of Unfortunate Events (Late 2016):

What is it? Based on the novels by Daniel Handler (aka, Lemony Snicket), "A Series of Unfortunate Events" focuses on three orphaned kids who fight to overcome their oppressive new "father," Count Olaf, as they search for the real reason for their parents' death.

I'll like it if I like..."Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" (starring Jim Carrey) and/or Handler's popular novels.

Hype.

sfedai0

Banned
This is what I love about Netflix. The sheer variety of content ensures theres something for everyone. I dont normally watch documentaries but Making a Murderer has me hooked.

Decado

Luke Cage
Frontier

The latter two could be interesting (3% and Unfortunate).

Not really an exciting lineup compared to what they've already produced.

Really want to see them tackle sci-fi in a space setting. Big hole there to be filled.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Hope they release a new documentary series akin to Making a Murderer. That's been the best thing I've watched in a long time.

• Stranger Things (TBD 2016):

What is it? A love letter to the ’80s classics that captivated a generation, "Stranger Things" is set in 1983 Indiana, where a young boy vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl. [official synopsis via Netflix]

I'll like it if I like... "The Last Starfighter," "E.T." or maybe "The X-Files" as a period thriller set in rural Indiana.
OP, you failed to mention Winona Ryder's in this!

I like the premise behind this show, even beyond being a Hoosier and swooning for Winona.

I won't bite yet. Some shows sound interesting but mainly I'm waiting for Narcos S2. If any of the shows come even close to quality of Narcos, then I'm happy camper.

jtb

Banned
honestly, most of these sound pretty uninspiring. Netflix has been ridiculously hit or miss with their approach, a lot of style, a lot of flash, very lacking on substance.

near

Gold Member
Judd Apatow x Gillian Jacobs should be a good comedy so I'll support Love. Out of interest I'll check out Luke Cage, but everything else is a major meh.

styl3s

Fuller House and Luke Cage is all that appeals to me.
Yeah, although these 2 are the only ones that scream out at me on this list i will still give them all at least a 1 episode try just because Netflix has been batting 100 for me with their originals.

A series of unfortunate events and Lule Cage are the only new ones im interested in. That said Narcos, DD, JJ and Marco Polo are more than enough to keep me around.

munroe

Not sure when they're releasing it but they're also doing new black mirror episodes, which I've generally always enjoyed.

Though looking forward to a series of unfortunate events, just re-watched the movie and still found it entertaining

Futureman

Maybe some of these will surprise me, but it seems like 2015 was better, as least for my tastes. Nothing will beat Mr. Show and Wet Hot returning.

Grizzo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Full House a cheesy sitcom with corny jokes just like Step By Step or Who's The Boss? How can this sequel be any good? Does it involve good writers or something I'm not aware of?

This is a genuine question, I'd like to understand the hype surrounding it!

Aiii

So not worth it
The Netflix original comedy series reunites Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson

The best thing about Netflix is how it's basically just fanservice. Oh, you liked thing? Well here's more of thing! Enjoy!

And everyone rejoiced.

Now give me Angel Season 6 and a new Stargate series, Netflix, do it!

Stasis

Too much TV. There are just so many quality series being released this year (and last...) that I can't keep up. I'll miss out on quite a few. Not enough time for them all, even if I remove all other hobbies and go full hermit. That's the shitty aspect about it, I feel. Having to make some tough choices and potentially missing out on something you would have preferred.

I've already had to cut some series I quite like. Just because there are new ones I think I like a bit more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom