• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 67th Primetime Emmy Awards |OT| Jon Hamm's Final Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game of Thrones was largely terrible last season, all the non-technical Emmy wins comes down to making up for past snubs. Not unlike Return of the King.

It winning a writing Emmy despite possibly the worst bit of written dialog for a "big" series in recent memory is astounding.

Lol. Well, the way they award writing awards is that shows submit individual episodes and they are judged in that vacuum. Somehow I doubt very many voters saw that and went " but bu bu bu they said bad pussy!"

Hamlet

Very happy to see Veep getting all that Emmy love. Though a tad perplexing at how well Game of Thrones did considering it's the weakest season so far.

I'm glad Olive Kitteridge cleaned up in the miniseries categories.

It's seriously one of the best miniseries ever made.

I expect that Show Me A Hero will do the same next year.

Very happy John Hamm finally won, but still super pissed Eva Green wasn't even nominated. Or Emmy Rossum for that matter. They're both so freaking good. Why does Homeland still get nominated for stuff, it is atrocious. Also, while I love the show, this season of GoT wasn't very good, ESPECIALLY writing wise. And Dinklage wasn't even that good this year either. Oh well...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did Jon Hamm win this year because his acting this year was better than before? Or was it a 'well this is his last year so lets vote for him'? Which is fine - I think he deserves an award, but would suck for his competition this year.

Faddy

Banned
Did Jon Hamm win this year because his acting this year was better than before? Or was it a 'well this is his last year so lets vote for him'? Which is fine - I think he deserves an award, but would suck for his competition this year.

Less competition. The other nominees are from much weaker shows. Sure Daniels already won for the Newsroom but that show went out of the public conciousness pretty quickly. Kyle Chandler had won on Friday Night Lights but he wasn't going to win for Bloodlines, which is pretty mediocre imo. Spacey isn't going to win for House of Cards unless that show gets much better, it was borderline unwatchable in its 3rd season. And Bob Odenkirk isn't winning in his debut year when he couldn't even crack best supporting nominees for his previous work in the same role.

Hamm was as good as always and it was a very challenging season for Don Draper. Lots of huge character notes for him to go out on. It was a more than deserved win.

Why do people think Game of Thrones was snubbed in previous years?

It's a decent show but not anywhere near the level of Breaking Bad and Mad Men

Hell even season one of Homeland has it beat handily, and thats not even to say a show like The Americans which is far better and hasn't even got a nomination for Best Drama.

The Americans not being nominated over Homeland or House of Cards is a snub. Game of Thrones being beaten by better shows is not.

Also, the fact that The Americans only Emmy this year was for Guest Actress for a five minute scene is a complete joke.

The Americans had two of the best scenes I have seen on television in a long time this year and not a single one of the actors involved got a nomination.

If I am not mistaken this is the first year he hasn't been up against Bryan Cranston, granted there were some wins in there for people like Jeff Daniels for Newsroom for whatever reason.

Well the reason was for the speech in the first episode but whatever.

Lothar

Banned
I was following the awards on two forums, and the other one had the exact opposite reaction.

They had nothing but praise for the show.

Ask them what they thought was good about Season 5 since no one who liked it has ever been able to explain that here. Also ask them to name one memorable Peter Dinklage performance this season. I don't see why he was even nominated. It should have been Alfie Allen or Stephen Dillane if anyone.

TM94

Just seen the list of awards.

So pleased Hamm has finally been recognized for his work in Mad Men.

But how the hell did Mad Men get snubbed for Game of Thrones?

Game of Thrones had it's worst season to date and it picks up Outstanding Drama and Outstanding Writing?

bxnKAes.gif

Blastoise

Banned
Season 1 of GoT was phenomenal. Introduced me to a whole new world of fiction. I will never forget it.

And the Ned Stark stuff was really out of nowhere for me. God I wish I could erase my memory and experience it again.

jett

D-Member
GoT always received a lot of nominations every year

Now that everyone that voted for those nominations can vote it's not surprising that it won

the new voting rules aren't really fair at all now

if this info is true

I guess that explains it.

Ophiuchus

I am happy for Jon.He deserved it.
And the real winner is HBO.

Edit : Also, Mad Men should have won it over GoT but it seems jury didn't get the final season.

There must have been some pretty big voting splits in the categories to allow Game of Thrones to win stuff like Best Drama and Best Writing in a Drama.

I'd bet that much of the Emmy electorate was torn between Mad Men and Orange Is The New Black in the Best Drama category and that Game of Thrones directly benefitted from it. And that the two nominated episodes of Mad Men split a bunch of votes in the writing category.

Otherwise, the timing for Game of Thrones' Emmy domination seems so incredibly random.

LOL at Game of Thrones winning Best Drama for its worst season.

LOL

LOL

LOL

Why did you think Season 5 was the worst? I thought that Season 2 was the worst by far!

It was a well deserved win imo. Nothing else this year was particularly good, and the last 4 episodes were some of the best in the show's run.

Eidan

I was following the awards on two forums, and the other one had the exact opposite reaction.

They had nothing but praise for the show.
Yeah, I was reading an Emmy prediction article in the Post, and it said that the fifth season was Game of Thrones' best, and that the show gets better year after year (or the more it's freed from Martin's shackles).

Oh my god, The Knick didn't get even get nominated, besides outstanding direction. The worst snub of the year, but apparently Emmy voters don't watch anything else since they vote for same shows just about every year.

Eidan

LOST won more emmy's than The Wire.

So.
Lost won best series for its phenomenal first season, and acting awards for Terry O'Connor and Michael Emerson, which were incredibly well deserved.

Honestly, when I think about the Wire being snubbed, I think about the years when it was eligible and Mad Men won.

So they had Homeland for best drama series but not The Americans¿? W T F. At least Margo won...

I don't think the Emmys really like FX for whatever reason. The shield got some nominations and a couple wins from its first, and worst, season but that was about it. It was pretty much ignored as it put out one of the best seasons of tv ever in season 5. Maybe Whitaker snuck in there, I forget.

Clefargle

Hooray GoT! You haters can be as salty as you want. People that act like TV is some untouchable transcendent art-speech or platonic ideals are hilarious. If you enjoy it, it's good TV. GoT was definitely great TV this year, you guys are in the minority.

Hooray GoT! You haters can be as salty as you want. People that act like TV is some untouchable transcendent art-speech or platonic ideals are hilarious. If you enjoy it, it's good TV. GoT was definitely great TV this year, you guys are in the minority.

Exactly! There are a few things that people continuously mock about the Season 5 here, such as the "you need the bad.." line and Sansa's scene, while ignoring all the great aspects. Season 5 was an incredible achievement in terms of scope, acting, direction, writing for the most part, and was liked by the majority, as seen through the increase in viewership. I think the reaction some are having here is a bit extreme - there was really very little else this year that could compare, even if season 5 wasn't the strongest season of Thrones.

GoT received the Return of the King treatment this year.

Having been overlooked when the show was actually impressive, the Emmy voters finally gave it its moment in the sun. Albeit too little too late. Unlike RotK which was slighted for 2 years before sweeping the Oscars.

GoT received the Return of the King treatment this year.

Having been overlooked when the show was actually impressive, the Emmy voters finally gave it its moment in the sun. Albeit too little too late. Unlike RotK which was slighted for 2 years before sweeping the Oscars.

RotK is the best LOTR film,though

RotK is the best LOTR film,though

Oh no doubt. I'm referring mainly to when the trilogy deserved the same awards for the previous two as well but was overlooked because of the genre it was in.

GoT was amazing for the first 3 seasons. It deserved this treatment then, not now.

EDIT: I will say that the extended edition of Two Towers gives RotK a run for its money.

Lothar

Banned
Why did you think Season 5 was the worst? I thought that Season 2 was the worst by far!

It was a well deserved win imo. Nothing else this year was particularly good, and the last 4 episodes were some of the best in the show's run.

The last GoT episode was one of the worst they've ever done because every scene was rushed other than the Cersei scene. That was the one good scene from the episode.

Jinaar

VEEP won so much last night. Is it really that good?

Also, seeing the Daily Show clean up actually saddened me. This last seasons writing and jokes weren't really strong, compared to the likes of say Colbert and Oliver. I love me some John Stewart but the Daily Show was not strong enough to me to defeat the others it was paired off against.

But watching the Emmy's is hard, especially when so much I watch and like doesn't even get a nod (The Knick, Penny Dreadful, Black Sails, etc).

If the Emmy's next year screw over MR ROBOT, I won't be too surprised.

Vyer

Good to see Hamm finally win. Well deserved.

Good to see more praise for Veep.

GoT shouldn't have won for its weakest season, but I still have a lot of appreciation for the show and what it pulls off, plus winning gets some 'book purists' even saltier so silver linings yay!

I guess I need to watch Olive Kitteridge

Jinaar

Only the best comedy on tv by far since season 3. Every season is good but it gets better with each one.

When VEEP won and the guy came up and said thanks for giving these British writers a chance to make this show, I gave VEEP more credit at that point :) I'll give it a go when I got a chance. Thanks!

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
http://deadline.com/2015/09/emmy-aw...ones-seahawks-packers-nfl-nbc-fox-1201540953/

dang football is popular

2nd UPDATE, 9:59 AM: The final numbers are in for last night’s 67th Primetime Emmy Awards and …well, they got tackled to what looks like an all-time low. With a 3.6 rating among adults 18-49 and total viewership of 11.9 million, Sunday’s 2015 Emmys were down 14% and 24% respectively from 2014. Now, it has to be noted that last year, the Emmys didn’t face Sunday Night Football on NBC because broadcaster NBC moved the show to August 25, a Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom