• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 67th Primetime Emmy Awards |OT| Jon Hamm's Final Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I... did not know so many people despised Game of Thrones. The past season sure, but not the whole show.

I don't take it too seriously at all, so I'm still cool with it, which essentially means it's a decent time passer that still sometimes does something fantastic(also, never read any of the books)

I like GOT. I've liked it since season 1, to be honest, and have stuck with it even during its weaker moments.

This past season, S5, did not deserve to win Best Drama, IMHO. Not even a visual spectacle like Hardhome (an episode that wasn't even nominated for its direction!!!) elevates the season to a higher level than Mad Men or Better Call Saul. Not with the Dorne plotline, or Ramsay's plot contrivances, or pretty much everything that happened to Sansa.

Just my two cents, though.

Believe me by that comment I did not mean that I thought Game of Thrones should have won, quite the opposite.

In fact, I agree completely with everything you said, like 100%.

Kevinroc

I always thought they gave awards to people/productions when they are "due." Which is why a weaker season of GOT wins. It had to "wait its turn."

Fjordson

I love Game of Thrones, but can't really agree with that Best Drama win..

But at least Hamm won. Finally. He made Don Draper one of my favourite characters ever on TV.

I'm assuming the hate for GoT is from book readers, right?

Or perhaps just people with any semblance of taste.

Game of Thrones has never been a top tier drama and season 5 is easily the worst it has ever been. In a year where so much great stuff aired it winning anything is absurd.

The Emmy's tend to lag behind "cool internet people" when it comes to "hip shows" I feel. So not surprised that they give it to GoT a year or two after its creative peak. At least they finally stopped giving it to Modern Family.

ryseing

The Emmy's tend to lag behind "cool internet people" when it comes to "hip shows" I feel. So not surprised that they give it to GoT a year or two after its creative peak. At least they finally stopped giving it to Modern Family.

So Tatiana will get hers in a couple of years?

Herbs

Banned
Or perhaps just people with any semblance of taste.

Game of Thrones has never been a top tier drama and season 5 is easily the worst it has ever been. In a year where so much great stuff aired it winning anything is absurd.

your taste is shit though. you can't really judge anyone else's

Tuning in to see who won and HOLY SHIT how did Game of Thrones beat Mad Men for best drama this year? This was objectively GoT's worst season and Matt Weiner/AMC graced us with seven beautiful episodes to close out one of the best series of the decade. Very disappointing.

Of all the seasons of GOT and you give to this one? Da fuck.
Oh well maybe this will inspire them to bring it their A game for next season.

I... did not know so many people despised Game of Thrones. The past season sure, but not the whole show.

It's the classic internet cycle. GoT has been too popular for too long, so it's now in vogue to think its' overrated. This last season also wasn't their finest hour, throwing gas on the hate fire.

Ogimachi

how much do you think?
No idea. All I know is that the 24 nominations were very suspicious already, and then GRRM said HBO told him he had to show up this year.Now it breaks the Emmy record in its worst season, even getting best writing? It's very suspicious to say the least.
Many great shows were not even nominated over the years, but I wouldn't call any of the winners since this "era" started in the late 90s nearly as controversial as this one.
Maybe Lost in 2005, but its first season was a huge hit. It also had weaker competition at the time, the other big shows weren't having great seasons IIRC. But I mean, West Wing, Sopranos, 24, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, none of these were shocking at the time, and even though I disagree with many of the specific awards and seasons, I can't say anyone was robbed or the winner didn't have a fair chance.

Herbs

Banned
No idea. All I know is that the 24 nominations were very suspicious already, and then GRRM said HBO told him he had to show up this year.Now it breaks the Emmy record in its worst season, even getting best writing? It's very suspicious to say the least.
Many great shows were not even nominated over the years, but I wouldn't call any of the winners since this "era" started in the late 90s nearly as controversial as this one.
Maybe Lost in 2005, but its first season was a huge hit. It also had weaker competition at the time, the other big shows weren't having great seasons IIRC. But I mean, West Wing, Sopranos, 24, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, none of these were shocking at the time, and even though I disagree with many of the specific awards and seasons, I can't say anyone was robbed or the winner didn't have a fair chance.

yeah, besides all that gibberish, how much do you think it would take?

Fucking come on with this conspiracy shit. As if an awards show hasn't ever made questionable choices before.

Blader

Tuning in to see who won and HOLY SHIT how did Game of Thrones beat Mad Men for best drama this year? This was objectively GoT's worst season and Matt Weiner/AMC graced us with seven beautiful episodes to close out one of the best series of the decade. Very disappointing.

Emmys are chiding AMC for pointlessly splitting the season in two.

I would be surprised if she didn't
unless her film career gets going first

Dream on. Maslany is great but she'll never win an Emmy for a show about clones on BBC America. Orphan Black is too niche and it airs on a basically irrelevant channel. She's one of the people who could say "It's a honor just to be nominated" and be telling the honest truth.

Emmys are chiding AMC for pointlessly splitting the season in two.

The show also has four Best Drama wins under its' belt. Most of the voting block probably thought giving Hamm the award was enough recognition. And as mentioned, it's possible that having two episodes nominated screwed it out of a writing award.

Popular thing is hated. Not a new concept :)

Yawn. Very few people seemed to be hating when popular shows like Breaking Bad/Mad Men/Homeland season one were winning the best drama award. Hmm, it's almost like there's something else in play here.

Hint: The only best drama award Game of Thrones deserves is best drama on HBO and that's because it's only competing against True Detective and The Leftovers.

Herbs

Banned
The show also has four Best Drama wins under its' belt. Most of the voting block probably thought giving Hamm the award was enough recognition. And as mentioned, it's possible that having two episodes nominated screwed it out of a writing award.

Probably a lot to do with this. And the last "season" was fairly unremarkable.

Dad

I think we're going to just have to accept living in a world where this season of Game of Thrones is factually the greatest season of television ever created

anaron

k51UJvp.jpg

addik

Fuck yeah, the right comedy finally won this year, after four fucking seasons! I'm kinda sad about Titus losing over Tony Hale though, I really thought it was Titus' year.

What's the verdict on this year's Emmys? I might catch the reply later tonight.

Altazor

Hey, let's focus on the positive: at least True Detective Season 2 wasn't nominated and, thus, didn't win shit.

I would've felt a little apoplectic myself.

addik

Fuck yeah, Veep finally won Best Comedy Series after four fucking seasons!

How are the shows this year? I might catch a replay when I have the chance

--edit: What the fuck at the delayed second reply? My first reply failed so I typed another one. Sorry guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom