• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 67th Primetime Emmy Awards |OT| Jon Hamm's Final Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
hamm.0.0.gif

I really don't get why justified and Eva green didn't get any nomination this year

yeah, would have been nice to see Eva Green recognized

Penny Dreadful is one of the many genre shows on TV that are better than Game of Thrones, along with Vikings and Black Sails

Justified not getting a nomination for writing is silly too

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is it common knowledge that Jon Hamm is packing? You mean to tell me the guy gets to look like that, AND have a big dick? Is there no sense of balance in this world?
Yes, he has a tendency to go commado so everyone can see his hammbone through his pants.

BokehKing

Banned
Hmmm really wanted one of the guys from Bloodlines to win

Giving it to Cranston constantly (I don't think he deserved it Everytime) threw everything off, they felt obligated to give it to Hamm, he should have won it years ago.

bort

GoT always received a lot of nominations every year

Now that everyone that voted for those nominations can vote it's not surprising that it won

HBO programming is great, yes, but it leads the nominations over a network like FX, who also has great content, because HBO employs the most members, and then those members nominate the shows they work on.

This means that the shows on networks with the largest employee base will win most of the time. This explains why HBO, a network with more employees than any other network, wins so many Emmys every year.

but HBO employs the most people out of anyone to work on their shows because of their unique content model. That means they have more people on the Emmy voting panel, hence why their shows get nominated and win all the time.

the new voting rules aren't really fair at all now

if this info is true

soco

kind of sad Tituss Burgess didn't get the win. I love Hale, but didn't find his work in veep this year to be as good.

Just to be clear... was there any debate about whether this season of GoT was the worst? I thought pretty much everyone agreed?

and Mad Men losing to it... how sad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AND in the same season for that Sansa rape trash

l o l

writing is like, the very last thing GoT should be recognized for

drag

I really don't get why justified and Eva green didn't get any nomination this year

!

I think I love you...

EDIT: nvm I thought you were talking about Ava. Still, Eva is superb so I think I agree with you after all.

New voting system messed with these Emmys.

According to Sepinwall, "HBO has the largest bloc of voters around", so it's possible that's why HBO swept. Kind of like when Kung Fu Panda swept the Annie's a few years ago.

There is no contradiction.
Season 5 was indeed the least good season of GoT, but it is only weak in GoT's standards, which is good enough to deserve the emmy.
The better seasons just had a stronger competition

BigDug13

Eva Green wasn't nominated and Tatiana Maslany didn't win? Shameful. And this season of GoT was pretty bad to be winning shit.

Season 5 was indeed the least good season of GoT, but it is only weak in GoT's standards, which is good enough to deserve the emmy.

What?

There is no universe in which any season of Game of Thrones deserves the Best Drama Emmy. Season 5 deserved the television equivalent of a Razzie.

Jigorath

Banned

GoT didn't deserve anything outside of technical noms. Certainly not best series.

Maengun1

Just limiting my choices to the programs that were actually nominated, I would have given the awards to Better Call Saul and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt this year. Given how late to the party the emmy voters are I expect both to win for comparatively weak seasons in 2019

Hazmat

They finally got comedy right (Modern Family deserved it early on, but it was getting ridiculous), but Game of Thrones winning anything for this season was embarassing. I'm a fan, and the only noteworthy moment this season was the excellent battle at Hardhome. A gold watch for the weak(er than the first half) season of Mad Men would have been much better.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
An okay show overall. Much better than last year's.

+ Andy Samberg as host
+ True Detective slam
+ Frances McDormand not giving a fuck
+ Emmys Can Kill PSA
+ Jon Hamm finally winning
+ Viola speech
+ Modern Family streak ended (I like the show but I'm glad the Emmys finally moved on)

- Megafuckton of spoilers for recently ended shows. Tacky as hell. (I wasn't spoiled, but c'mon)
- Game of Thrones winning anything. Best Writing (over Mad Men and The Americans?), Best Directing (over Steven Soderbergh's transcendent work on The Knick), Peter Dinklage for his yawn inducing role in season 5 (over the wonderful Ben Mendelsohn and Jonathan Banks), Best Drama. Chalk it all up to yet another Emmy Emmbarrassment.

Pryce

Game of Thrones, at its best, is not any where close an emmy. Technical awards? Sure! Anything else? Hell no.

Alpende

Didn't watch it but I'm glad Hamm finally won. Didn't really think GoT deserved overall best Drama show, would have liked to see Mad Men win that one. Margo Martindale won as well so that's great, Jonathan Banks got snubbed.

anaron

An okay show overall. Much better than last year's.

+ Andy Samberg as host
+ True Detective slam
+ Frances McDormand not giving a fuck
+ Emmys Can Kill PSA
+ Jon Hamm finally winning
+ Viola speech
+ Modern Family streak ended (I like the show but I'm glad the Emmys finally moved on)

- Megafuckton of spoilers for recently ended shows. Tacky as hell. (I wasn't spoiled, but c'mon)
- Game of Thrones winning anything. Best Writing (over Mad Men and The Americans?), Best Directing (over Steven Soderbergh's transcendent work on The Knick), Peter Dinklage for his yawn inducing role in season 5 (over the wonderful Ben Mendelsohn and Jonathan Banks), Best Drama. Chalk it all up to yet another Emmy Emmbarrassment.

co-signing this post

Game of Thrones was largely terrible last season, all the non-technical Emmy wins comes down to making up for past snubs. Not unlike Return of the King.

It winning a writing Emmy despite possibly the worst bit of written dialog for a "big" series in recent memory is astounding.

impact

Banned
Apparently Game of Thrones is terrible according to people that watch awards shows. You learn something new every day.

Apparently Game of Thrones is terrible according to people that watch awards shows. You learn something new every day.

I was following the awards on two forums, and the other one had the exact opposite reaction.

They had nothing but praise for the show.

Terrible? No.

An elite drama worthy of the medium's highest honor? Also no.

The books are fantastic. The show is not. Not any longer, at least.

cyba89

Game Of Thrones is far from terrible, but Season 5 is hardly award-worthy outside of the tech-categories, especially considering the competition.
Tell me one memorable scene Dinklage had in the last season for example. Jonathan Banks deserved this award so much more for his performance in Five-O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom