• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 73rd Annual Golden Globes |OT| Episode MMXVI: Return of the Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Both Sicario and Straight out of Compton deserve to be somewhere in the nominees but they arent anywhere. I think they will represent at the Oscars though. At least Sicario seems like a sure fit.

Compton had a great first half, but the second half faltered for me. I don't think it deserves to be consider as a BP nom. Creed on the other hand should.

zeitgeist

Was Lady Gaga really that good in AH:H to warrant a Golden Globe nob? Im just asking because Ive never seen it.

No. Not even close. I just think everyone must have had super low expectations and she was at least semi-serviceable.

Edit: It also helps that this season of AHS feels like tiny snippets of an actual TV show surround by a bunch sex filled music videos.

injurai

Banned
Best Musical / Comedy is basically just "Good Non-Oscar Bait" movies.

The Martian and The Big Short are proper dramas.

obin_gam

*Loadin' up the truck*

We are war boys!

278427-985ee3d4-f90c-11e4-a758-97c89e8ea731.jpg

War boys!

Kamakrazee war boys!
p6emchndjq54t8csilhk.jpg

war boys!

Fucacima kamakrazee war boys!

Today we're goin' to Hollywood!
tumblr_np4oubBmIP1rylr5to1_400.gif

Hollywood!

Today we're gonna get lots of globes!

Was Lady Gaga really that good in AH:H to warrant a Golden Globe nob? Im just asking because Ive never seen it.

Yeah she was really good, though obviously she's not the best actress in that crop. I know the Hollywood Foreign Press likes to reward non-actors who prove everyone wrong with their skills, so she has a big shot. Everyone expected her coup on AHS to be a cashed in promotional opportunity but she really made this season and she has incredible discipline. As amazing as Dunst is Gaga earned this one.

jmelons

Looking to watch the Golden Globes online? Sorry, cord cutters.

NBC will not allow streaming of the awards show on Sunday night. (Yup, in 2016! NBC’s gonna program like its 1999 at the Beverly Hilton.)

Despite some reports claiming otherwise, the network confirmed to EW that the 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards, honoring the best in film and television, will not be online anywhere during the show.

Rest in RIPs, streamers. Sorry.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Its stupid as fuck
Having to stream on some shady site in questionable quality is a pain. Its 2016 get with it

MrV4ltor

Ew at anyone saying Gaga wasn't at least decent in AHS. She was great in episodes 8-11, but I'll admit that she was a bit stiff and cold in the first 3-4 episodes. Her transformation scene with Denis O'Hare was amazing tho.

Miller really has to win best director, anybody else would be a bad decision imo

Rooting for either mad max, brooklyn, big short or spotlight to win it

Mel Gibson presenting? Aww yeah best director award to miller I bet

Jarrod38

Miller really has to win best director, anybody else would be a bad decision imo

Rooting for either mad max, brooklyn, big short or spotlight to win it

Mel Gibson presenting? Aww yeah best director award to miller I bet

And Mel drops the mic and the next Mad Max will him returning.

Violet_0

Banned
only one Ex Machina nom is weird. On the other hand, The Revenant gets way too much love, but then again it's just the Golden Globes. Everyone is watching it for Ricky Gervais

chadskin

In for Ricky.

So many snubs, though, on the TV side of nominations. Game of Thrones, Empire or Outlander over The Americans, The Affair, The Leftovers or Rectify? Bleh.

Azalean

Banned
only one Ex Machina nom is weird. On the other hand, The Revenant gets way too much love, but then again it's just the Golden Globes. Everyone is watching it for Ricky Gervais

The GGs don't have any tech (visual effects, art direction, cinematography, etc.) awards. Ex Machina will probably get a ton of tech nods at the Oscars.

Violet_0

Banned
The GGs don't have any tech (visual effects, art direction, cinematography, etc.) awards. Ex Machina will probably get a ton of tech nods at the Oscars.

still, Oscar Isaac should have been up in the race. His performance was excellent and he damn near carried the movie by himself despite only being in a supporting role

gamz

still, Oscar Isaac should have been up in the race. His performance was excellent and he damn near carried the movie by himself despite only being in a supporting role

He was great. In all honesty I spent the whole movie trying to figure out who the hell he was. I had zero idea he was the same actor in TFA.

Mimosa97

My predictions

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Spotlight

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
The Big Short

Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Cate Blanchett, Carol

Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, The Big Short

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano, Love and Mercy

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina

Best Director
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Screenplay
Spotlight

Best Original Score
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight

Best Original Song
"See You Again," Furious 7

Best Animated Feature Film
Inside Out

Best Foreign Language Film
Son of Saul

Best Drama Series
Narcos

Best Musical or Comedy Series
Transparent

Best Actor in a Television Series - Drama
Wagner Moura, Narcos

Best Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Eva Green, Penny Dreadful

Best Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent

Best Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy
Gina Rodriguez, Jane the Virgin

Best Actor in a Miniseries or Television Film
Oscar Isaac, Show Me a Hero

Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film
Kirsten Dunst, Fargo

Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries or Television Film
Christian Slater, Mr. Robot

Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or Television Film
Maura Tierney, The Affair

Best Miniseries or Television Film
Fargo

JTripper

The red carpet press seems extra awkward this year so far. Every celebrity seems to be cynically responding to questions.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The red carpet press seems extra awkward this year so far. Every celebrity seems to be cynically responding to questions.

Harrsion with the 0 fucks forced interviews

Matt_

tumblr_o0rhtsOnSP1qcbk34o1_400.png

Channeling his character in AHS

Monocle

Let me just get this out of the way: YAAAAAAAAASSSS GAGA SNATCH ALL THE AWARDS QUEEN!

Whew, OK. Now I can say what I came here to say: Mad Max deserves everything it's nominated for.

Also: lol at Game of Thrones netting a Best Drama Series nom. Way to cheapen the category. Did we watch the same season?

tumblr_o0rhtsOnSP1qcbk34o1_400.png

Channeling his character in AHS
Fucking phenomenal. He definitely should have been nominated. His performance as Liz Taylor in AHS: Hotel is magnificent.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Haven't seen Carol, Room, or Spotlight yet, but I'm guessing Spotlight will get it based on what I've heard. Praying for the Mad Max upset though, and The Revenant definitely would deserve it too.

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

Haven't seen The Martian, but I can't imagine The Big Short not taking it. Mad Max was my favorite of the year, but if I had to pick an objectively best movie, it'd be The Big Short.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Will Smith, Concussion

Gotta be Leo. Hopefully it's a preview of the Oscars.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Rooney Mara, Carol
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

Haven't seen any of these, which I need to change asap. Guessing Cate gets it cause it's Cate.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Steve Carell, The Big Short
Matt Damon, The Martian
Al Pacino, Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo, Infinitely Polar Bear

Christian Bale and Steve Carell were both so good, so I'm really hoping either of them get it. Personally leaning towards Bale cause I'm kinda a fanboy and his role was a little more unique, but Carell is more likely to get it I think.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Melissa McCarthy, Spy
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
Maggie Smith, The Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

I know nothing about any of these roles and this definitely seems like the weakest category lol

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano, Love and Mercy
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon, 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Still need to see Beasts, 99 Homes, and Bridge of Spies, but I hope Stallone gets it.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Jane Fonda, Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren, Trumbo
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Vikander gave one of my favorite performances of the year that has managed to stick with me since the beginning of the year. Jason Leigh was great as well, but I think Alicia deserves it.

Best Director
Todd Haynes, Carol
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, The Revenant
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Ridley Scott, The Martian

Please please please please let George take this. He directed the hell out of that movie, and even with amazing efforts by AGI and Haynes/McCarthy (from what I've heard), I think he can take it.

Best Screenplay
The Big Short
The Hateful Eight
Room
Spotlight
Steve Jobs

Difficult split for me between The Hateful Eight and The Big Short. One is my favorite in writer in Tarantino and the other was such a nice surprise right out of left field.

Best Original Score
Carter Burwell, Carol
Alexandre Desplat, The Danish Girl
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Daniel Pemberton, Steve Jobs
Ruichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto, The Revenant

Lots of great music this year, but I think Morricone has it on lock.

Best Animated Feature Film
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

If it wasn't such a horrible idea in reality, I would bet every cent I had on Inside Out winning this. Probably the most predictable category this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom