• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 73rd Annual Golden Globes |OT| Episode MMXVI: Return of the Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
I've seen all the Comedy noms and only missed out on Revenant, Carol, and Room. I'm checking out the former two this week, and will see Room whenever it actually hits my area.

And there's a reason I'm seeing The Revenant guys, and I'll go into it with an open mind like I always do. That said, I'm upset tonight, and if I end up liking the film, I'll gladly eat crow (although I doubt it'll be better than Mad Max or Spotlight.)
Hahahahahahaha

Co-signed. Toothless owes it to us.

"I just saw Reveshit. I went into it with an open mind despite me thinking the director is a piece of shit, but it was shit. I was surprised myself. Leo's shit, Hardy's shit, even the shit is shit. Shit movie all around. -Hack/10, would never watch again."

There I just posted the review.

Bruh, you can't watch a movie with an "open mind" now that you've shat all over it. You know what's gonna happen? You're going to nitpick the shit out of it and find every flaw you can.

You can post anything you want about the movie, but this is going to be what you'll be doing the whole time you're watching and thinking about afterwards.

Unwfe7R.gif

Exactly. But hey props to guy for giving us a heads up that his impressions of The Revenant are completely worthless.

LionPride

Banned
People hate on games and consoles they have never played on the gaming side.

Why is this mentality shocking to you?
The use of the smiley didn't clue you in to the fact I was being sarcastic? Yeah I know people are strange for their ideas about movies/anything they have not seen. I see it here all the time with BvS, just surprised it was for Revenant

Toothless

Nothing wrong with going to the movie alone, hell I'd prefer it to going to the movies with someone like Toothless.

LOL, you think I talk during the movies or nitpick it afterwards? Nah man, I don't even comment on the movie until I'm in the car, and even then, I'll typically only harp on positive qualities. Unless we both hate it, like when I saw Minions; in which case, we'll say "That was bad," and then talk about other shit on the way home.

jtb

Banned
I don't even think The Revenant is bad, don't get me wrong. It's like faux Malick doing an action-thriller. Visually arresting and technically kinda insane. At the same time, it's a high octane, lean experience stretched out to 150 minutes so Innaritu can trick people into thinking it's more than a simple revenge/survival tale. Best picture? Nah. Best director? Nah.

it's only faux malick because chivo is a god and singlehandedly drags inarritu to a baseline of narrative competence, barely

The use of the smiley didn't clue you in to the fact I was being sarcastic? Yeah I know people are strange for their ideas about movies/anything they have not seen. I see it here all the time with BvS, just surprised it was for Revenant

I thought the MJ emoticon was you laughing at them, not being sarcastic.

Jonm1010

Banned
Mad Max being nominated is surprising enough. It's like the Avengers movie, no matter how well it's received critically it will never be an award winner for movie of the year.

They aren't even in the same league as each other. No offense if you are a big Avengers fan. Avengers is decent popcorn flair and great fan service. Mad Max is in the conversation for the best action film of all time.

Mad Max is like Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, Fargo, Goodfellas or Raging Bull. It may get a couple nominations and then almost certainly lose, while ten years from now it will likely be amongst the consensus best films of its respective decade.

injurai

Banned
I don't even think The Revenant is bad, don't get me wrong. It's like faux Malick doing an action-thriller. Visually arresting and technically kinda insane. At the same time, it's a high octane, lean experience stretched out to 150 minutes so Inarritu can trick people into thinking it's more than a simple revenge/survival tale. Best picture? Nah. Best director? Nah.

Faux Malick? What?

Toothless

Bruh, you can't watch a movie with an "open mind" now that you've shat all over it. You know what's gonna happen? You're going to nitpick the shit out of it and find every flaw you can.

You can post anything you want about the movie, but this is going to be what you'll be doing the whole time you're watching and thinking about afterwards.

Unwfe7R.gif

I avoid nitpicking in general though. Like here's an example: I hated American Hustle, and went into Joy expecting a throughly mediocre film. I actually really liked it; one of J-Law's best performances and the overall story arc and themes it touched were quite fascinating.

It's just that I'm not really that public on my hate of O. Russell because I haven't seen a lot of his work, and he actually does work for me sometimes. Unlike Inarritu, who really hasn't impressed me at all (with the exception of delivering great performances from Keaton and Norton in Birdman).

ajcacio

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something here...I saw the revenant yesterday and really didn't like it. It was beautifully shot but could've tossed about an hours worth; it was so long and boring. I thought the bear scene looked just off enough to take me out of it and the Indian language speech not matching up with the mouth moments was terrible. I did not buy the relationship with the son at all and those hallucination scenes seemed lame too. It had a bunch of ingredients I like ( Leo dicaprio, early west exploration) and love (Tom Hardy, Rocky Mountain scenery, Inarritu) but it really didn't come together for me but I feel like everyone else is super hot on it and I just don't get it?

Inarritu is fucking fantastic

The Revenant was fucking fantastic

This. It's a masterpiece, from where I'm sitting. I can give my opinion on it because, y'know, I SAW THE FUCKING THING!

And yes, it is a masterpiece. Fury Road is one of the 4 greatest action films of the last decade (hell, maybe even the last 20 years), but I can't hold it up to The Revenant, which is on another level and resonates emotionally, as well as viscerally.

Do all Africans have the same accent or something? Pretty big continent no?

From all that I heard his accent was considered pretty good.

Oh aren't you clever.

Beasts of NO NATION. A film largely about child soliders in an UNAMED African country.

His African accent was shit.

It was too street, let's say.

nilbog21

Banned
Wow toothless your posts are insufferable

If you think amores perros, 21 grams, babel, etc are terrible movies you need to cultivate yourself a little more before you watch inarritu's movies and compare them to mad max, wtf

Monocle

I thought she was incredible in SLP, and very good in Joy. The latter was a fairly average to good movie, but her performance in my opinion carried it. Also regarding her always playing herself, my post earlier.
You've piqued my interest. I'm thinking about comparing those performances with back to back viewings when Joy is out.

The Revenant was excellent. Deserves all the awards it can get and hopefully Leo wins an oscar for it. Hardy should win the best supporting actor as well

Edit: Did everyone really want Mad Max to win?? THAT movie?! Really? Pacific Rim all over again

Azzanadra

Have not seen The Revenant yet so I can't comment on that. I liked Babel, but wasn't a fan of Birdman... that has less to to with the directing though, and more to do with the general message and theme. I don't buy into "poor, damaged actors who have it so hard" and the idea that we should feel sorry for them, as if they are victims of the worlds greatest atrocities.

nib95

Banned
They aren't even in the same league as each other. No offense if you are a big Avengers fan. Avengers is decent popcorn flair and great fan service. Mad Max is in the conversation for the best action film of all time.

Mad Max is like Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, Fargo, Goodfellas or Raging Bull. It may get a couple nominations and then almost certainly lose, while ten years from now it will likely be amongst the consensus best films of its respective decade.

I really enjoyed Mad Max, saw it several times actually, but I strongly disagree. It is no where near the level of those other films you mentioned. Mad Max is excellent, but very one dimensional. It doesn't have nearly the depth, the layers, the intellect, charisma, character development or the plot that those other films have, and to me, those things are essential ingredients in making a truly classic, all time great movie. The immense set pieces, beautiful cinematography, action, pacing, effects etc, those things alone simply aren't enough to propel a movie in to that upper echelon of cinema. Though they're certainly enough to make it highly entertaining.

jtb

Banned
Wow toothless your posts are insufferable

If you think amores perros, 21 grams, babel, etc are terrible movies you need to cultivate yourself a little more before you watch inaritu's movies and compare them to mad max..

what? amores perros is the only good movie he's made pre-Birdman. the only reason why Birdman worked was because it was Inarritu acknowledging, so it seemed, his overwhelming fraudulence and hackery that was obvious to literally everyone except for him. but as the revenant shows, he has learned absolutely nothing (other than chivo being a god)

listen, if the revenant winning best picture is the price we have to pay for chivo to get his oscar hat-trick, it is a price I am more than willing to pay. but the golden globes are comically bad at predicting the oscars anyways so I doubt it amounts to anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom