• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 73rd Annual Golden Globes |OT| Episode MMXVI: Return of the Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
So iñárritu will sweep the oscars for the second year in a row ?

Doubtful. Only like 90 people vote on the Golden Globes. Compared to the thousands who vote on the Oscars. There isn't much overlap although they can occasionally come to the same conclusion. They didn't last year, and they won't this year. The Academy ain't giving Inarritu the directing prize two years in a row.

zma1013

Why can't a work of great kineticism as a means of storytelling (calling back to silent film, and in turn, animation), incredible editing, incredible stunt work, with an incredible score be a classic movie? You're dismissing entire genres and styles film making. Fury Road doesn't need the layers, intellect, and plot in the same way those other movies do because it's speaking a different language, and has different goals.

Pretty much what I was thinking. To hold all movies to an exact specific template for greatness is extremely limiting.

nib95

Banned
Why can't a work of great kineticism as a means of storytelling (calling back to silent film, and in turn, animation), incredible editing, incredible stunt work, with an incredible score be a classic movie? You're dismissing entire genres and styles film making. Fury Road doesn't need the layers, intellect, and plot in the same way those other movies do because it's speaking a different language, and has different goals.

It doesn't need those things, but the lack of them for me personally, makes it a less enjoyable and memorable film. It just didn't have that emotional resonance or diversity for me, and really the main response I got from it was one of continuous catharsis, as well as the odd bit of humour here and there. Outside of it's focus, which it did really well, it just sort of fell flat.

It's sort of like having an amazing roast chicken, but one without the gravy, the roasted pots, stuffing and extras. A roast chicken on it's own can be marvellous, noteworthy and delicious, but for it to be a truly complete and memorable meal, it needs the other bits and bobs. I appreciate that not everyone would agree.

Also, I do not see the parallel of my point with silent film and animation. A silent movie can still have far more depth and narrative poignancy than a movie with sound, or compared to Fury Road for example. The medium (film or animation) or lack of sound, doesn't in itself automatically limit a movie to lacking any of the things mentioned in my previous posts.

Parham

Banned
Outside of the story behind its production, I don't understand the appeal of Boyhood. The movie itself was not that good.

jtb

Banned
That's how bad that post was.

i just have a very big problem with how Inarritu fetishizes suffering... almost always other people's suffering, and co-opting it so that he can make "meaningful" art in his image with his name on it. it always struck me as mildly desperate and incredibly narcissistic. the only film of his that struck me as truly earnest was birdman, and even that severely needed an editor (in the screenwriting phase, obviously). very competent filmmaker, terrible storyteller—if that makes any sense.

even the Revanant... the only thing that has come out of Leo's or Inarritu's mouth during this entire publicity tour is... look at me! look at how much I suffered! for art!

i can't even muster the strength to roll my eyes

(which I realize is also what you will say about this post)

Edit: Did everyone really want Mad Max to win?? THAT movie?! Really? Pacific Rim all over again

It's pretty hard to enjoy a movie more than I enjoyed Pacific Rim. I fucking loved it, every second of it and thought it got shafted left and right in the awards. Great, great movie, it would be del Toro's finest hadn't he done the outlandish beautiful El laberinto del fauno. It's just stuff I like all over the work and it even has Idris Elba. If somehow they managed to cast Michael Fassbender and Olivia Wilde in that Tron suit as well, hot damn it would be the GOAT and the Citizen Kane of cinema. For me anyways.

Having said that, Mad Max is a much better movie than PR. Mad Max and Gravity are two movies that scream out to me that they might not win, but they should be nominated and should even appear to have a chance. Because they're good to the industry.

Revenant was good, I didn't think it was great. I loved the maul scene, it made a lot of people watching it noticeably uncomfortable. That thing was fucking intense.

But it dragged on too long, and the climax to me felt weak.
in real life, didn't the dude not have a son get murdered, and end up seeking revenge but then forgiving the people who left him to die? seemed like it would have been a better ending

But I can't comment to the awards it won, I don't think I have seen much of anything from the last year. Though, LOL @ Martian being a comedy or musical.

I guess the new season of Fargo was really good? Need to watch both seasons.

NYR

but it dragged on too long, and the climax to me felt weak.
in real life, didn't the dude not have a son get murdered, and end up seeking revenge but then forgiving the people who left him to die? seemed like it would have been a better ending
"Based on a True Story"

Vs

"Inspired by True Events"

Vs

"A True Story"

Very different categories. Revenant advertised itself as the 2nd.

injurai

Banned
If Inarritu wins Oscar for two bad films in a row..

image.php
?

Floridian

Eh. She was fine. Maybe she didn't need to bust his balls, but people can't just phone in things like that.

Probably the reporter was using the phone to try to articulate the question better. She didn't have to keep cutting him off and insult his intelligence like that tbh.

element

It would be neat if NBC or Hulu would stream an uncensored version. I'd totally sign up for that
for a free month and cancel

Joni

They all lost, all my favorites for television. Sad to see American Crime get skipped for so many awards for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom