• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 73rd Annual Golden Globes |OT| Episode MMXVI: Return of the Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

I know, just goofing back!

LOL, yea it took me awhile to pick up on that. Rough morning for me so far.

Regarding Oscar BP chances, I still think MMFR has a pretty good shot. AFAIK the field kind of looks like this:

Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
The Martian
Spotlight
Carol
Brooklyn
Room
-
Creed
Bridge of Spies
The Big Short
Sicario
Anomalisa
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Tangerine

Looking at those top 7, Carol and Brooklyn are both 1950s period dramas that might split votes for overlapping sensibilities. Room has good buzz but will probably get its recognition primarily through Larson winning an award (like Creed via Stallone). The top four seem to be MMFR, Revenant, Martian, and Spotlight.

Comparing MMFR and The Revenant, it's basically a high-octane, well-oiled symphony of destruction against a brutal yet beautiful, visceral revenge tale. Both movies about survival, triumph of human spirit, etc. If Oscar voters are going for that overall type of experience, I can see either movie winning. Guessing that Spotlight will slip in there and grab the statue.

The director race might be just as compelling. Iñárritu, Miller, and Sir Ridley. I'd like to see Miller recognized for the totality of MMFR's brilliance, but Ridley's never won so I'm guessing he'll get it.

BumRush

Bobby, in what way is T2 a copy paste polish of previous action films? I don't want to keep pushing this because clearly we disagree on T2's impact on the genre, but it's very much unlike the films that came before it. Hell, it's a completely different film (and possibly genre) than the terminator.

T2 introduced the villain of a previous movie as an ally, explored new time travel concepts, broke visual ground and pretty much redefined the chase sequence. These things pushed the genre forward.

Fury Road is also not very much at all like Road Warrior outside of the fact there's a guy named Max in it and he comes to help a group of people reluctantly.

So begrudgingly you admit Fury Road is very derivative of the Road Warrior. The movies are not at all that similar besides they both feature extended chase sequences featuring heavily armed tanker trucks and dune buggies.

Who you crappin?

Ridley327

LOL, yea it took me awhile to pick up on that. Rough morning for me so far.

Regarding Oscar BP chances, I still think MMFR has a pretty good shot. AFAIK the field kind of looks like this:

Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
The Martian
Spotlight
Carol
Brooklyn
Room
-
Creed
Bridge of Spies
The Big Short
Sicario
Anomalisa
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Tangerine

Looking at those top 7, Carol and Brooklyn are both 1950s period dramas that might split votes for overlapping sensibilities. Room has good buzz but will probably get its recognition primarily through Larson winning an award (like Creed via Stallone). The top four seem to be MMFR, Revenant, Martian, and Spotlight.

Comparing MMFR and The Revenant, it's basically a high-octane, well-oiled symphony of destruction against a brutal yet beautiful, visceral revenge tale. Both movies about survival, triumph of human spirit, etc. If Oscar voters are going for that overall type of experience, I can see either movie winning. Guessing that Spotlight will slip in there and grab the statue.

The director race might be just as compelling. Iñárritu, Miller, and Sir Ridley. I'd like to see Miller recognized for the totality of MMFR's brilliance, but Ridley's never won so I'm guessing he'll get it.

Man, if Tangerine snuck in there, Variety's Oscar ballot explanations are going to be something else this year.

zma1013

I don't get the Fury Road love.

It's an okay traveling movie but like all traveling movies, they are only watchable once.

I disagree with that. It's surprisingly good for rewatching as it has incredibly subtle yet supporting details packed all throughout that perhaps one doesn't pick up on during the first viewing. Every time I rewatch it I notice something new and clever tucked away in the film that just makes me love it even more.

So begrudgingly you admit Fury Road is very derivative of the Road Warrior.

No, in fact I'm suggesting it's pretty different. You just quoted me saying so.

BumRush said:
Bobby, in what way is T2 a copy paste polish of previous action films?

What? I didn't say that either.

What the hell is going on in here this morning.

Here's what I've said:

T2 is a great action movie
T2 didn't redefine the genre, but it did take the best of the genre at the time and elevated it.
T2 is lucky to be in the same tier as Fury Road (which, by the way, is tacit admission that it is.)
I own and enjoy both movies.
Fury Road is a better made movie overall.
Fury Road is not a remake of The Road Warrior.

These are the statements I've made.

BumRush

You said "finely polished well tuned advancement of the status of the genre at the time" which just made it sound like you don't think it did anything new at all. That's all.

Anyway, no need to continue arguing this point. I think MMFR is a great film, you think T2 is a great film. Anything further is just our personal beliefs.

why tho? The joke? I guess is dumb, like her reaction. You know, mocking a foreign journalist because he is using a cellphone to maybe, maybe translate the question and then kicking it at the floor making more fun of him isn't nice. Her premise? the used of cellphones in everyday context is WRONG because you live in the "now". So when the nude pics incident came, she felt insulted, mocked and "raped" (her words), because she was using a cell phone for her own businesses... the press went after her by the same things that she said to the journalist. But why using a cellphone in that scenario? Context? Why is the need of making all "digital"?, Why use a cellphone is in every context especially the intimate contexts? And know she is the advocate of not using them at public contexts because the "now"? That is something that in psychology is called: Consistency Bias, Embodied Cognition, Self-Serving Bias and The Fundamental Attribution Error.

rope on discount, apparently.

Quick

Banned
Everyone is posting the shitty gif. This one is better:

LbYKJJi.gif

And even better than that:

7nx4bzN.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
And even better than that:

7nx4bzN.gif

This is the bizarre thing - Its clear what happened here and you've got half the news agencies in the world reporting 'Gaga smacked Leos head out of the way with her boobs' or 'Gaga shoved Leo outta the way'.

She didn't do squat. Typical media horseshit manufacturing controversy

BumRush

The gaga thing just seems a bit blown out of proportion. She bumps into him, he gives a funny look, end of story. The news was dissecting it this morning with various people weighing in about the "malice" involved. That's bullshit.

Fury Road has very little in common with Road Warrior, from a visual standpoint, from a character standpoint, from an almost everything stand point. They both have a Mad Max and Vehicle chases/combat, but the execution and context are two very different beasts.

Terminator 2 sucks
There, let's party

I mean, that's a bunch of crazy but as an adult rewatching these films, I'm going with T1.

BumRush

Fury Road has very little in common with Road Warrior, from a visual standpoint, from a character standpoint, from an almost everything stand point. They both have a Mad Max and Vehicle chases/combat, but the execution and context are two very different beasts.

I agree. If they were different IPs, no one would say they are that similar.

BkMogul

This Fury Road debate is like a cat chasing it's own tail. It's a good movie that won't win shit. Take heed in the fact that fanboys will keep its "legacy" alive for years to come.

Quick

Banned
Watney is super chipper for someone who is totally fucked

something something science the shit out of this something something.

*everyone over 50-years-old starts laughing hysterically*

I legit laughed at the line in the theatre, but some of the older people really got a kick out of it.

It's a hell of a lot funnier than Apollo 13.

I don't know that I'd classify it as a comedy, but so far as "Astronaut stranded in space with a super-tiny chance of making it back home alive" movies go, it's relatively lighthearted.

I thought APollo 13 had some funny lines.

Bill Paxton's "I'm so hungry I could eat the ass out of a dead rhinoceros" alone deserved an Oscar.

something something science the shit out of this something something.

*everyone over 50-years-old starts laughing hysterically*

I legit laughed at the line in the theatre, but some of the older people really got a kick out of it.

I laughed more at the Lord of the Rings reference with Sean Bean during that meeting scene.

And if you weren't a Tolkien fan, you'd have no idea WTF they were talking about.

liquidtmd

Banned
Watney is super chipper for someone who is totally fucked

On the contrary - I thought that element was realistic.

He was an astronaught. He had years of training, probably dealing with all eventualities in the unpredictability and his risk. At the end of the movie
when he starting teachings his mantra was 'expect the worst and problem solve the shit out of it'
. That his character didn't fall to pieces was a relief and completely in character. The closest he came was in the face of
the supply shuttle exploding, to which he wasn't chipper and spoke about telling his parents of his impending death

That he was comparatively chipper was a good faith in the audience that we could fill in the blanks that he was an authentic astronaught. In comparison to Ridley's shit tier handling of Promethesus' astronaught abilities and instant mental lapses, it was beautiful

Jigorath

Banned
This Fury Road debate is like a cat chasing it's own tail. It's a good movie that won't win shit. Take heed in the fact that fanboys will keep its "legacy" alive for years to come.

It's won tons and tons of awards. And being a masterpiece of the genre will keep it's legacy alive.

Ric Flair

Banned
Fury Road is the only good Mad Max movie and is the best film of 2015.

Keep seething.

Disagree with it being the only good one, imo thunder dome is the only really 'bad' Mad Max film, the others fully soaking up their own cheesyness and reveling in it. I would agree with fury road being the best mad max, though. I think it's one of the greatest theater movies ever released. There's not much that compares to the experience of sitting in a movie theater and watching fury road on the big screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom