• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 73rd Annual Golden Globes |OT| Episode MMXVI: Return of the Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martian beating out big short still ain't as bad as 2014 Tho

Look how damn stacked best comedy was that year, and somehow american hustle wins over some incredible movies smh. Golden Globes get so much wrong

The critically acclaimed with a social message song Til It Happens To You.

Gaga dominated 2015 and 2016 is already hers with a new album coming and her impending Oscar. Her haters have already holed up in their caves.

c3gzecK.gif

Even more amazing, part of the profits of this song were donated to organizations helping survivors of sexual assault.

I didn't even realize that song was for a film. Oh well, looking at that category she'll probably win since it's so weak this year.

j-wood

At first I was really confused over the Martian being in the comedy category. But if you read the definition of a comedy it...fits it 100%.

a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comedy

Kinyou

Nice to see Mr. Robot win. Amazing show.

The random dude should have just went in for a hug. Looking at Leo's arm it seems like he was actually about to shake his hand

At first I was really confused over the Martian being in the comedy category. But if you read the definition of a comedy it...fits it 100%.

a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comedy
It fits technically, but it also seems very likely that they were eager to get into that category to secure a win.

BumRush

Not like what? Like being right? But that's what I do, Bum.

90s kids...

I mean, I love reading your opinions in the box office threads and you're one of my favorite posters because of it. But T2 redefined the action genre. It's not "lucky" to have anything. It's action royalty. Mad max is an incredibly well done, pure action movie (and one of the best). But let's not try to say T2 isn't in its league.

Carbonox

Oooh T2 hate, so edgy.

Regarding Mad Max, Mad Max 2 is fantastic and I even enjoy the first film quite a bit. Thunderdome is mediocre though.

But T2 redefined the action genre.

Not really. It's one of the greats, but it's more a finely-polished, well-tuned advancement of the existing status of the genre at that time. It didn't really redefine anything.

Saying T2 isn't as good as Fury Road isn't "T2 Hate" either. That's ridiculous. I own both films, and have watched both films multiple times.

But Fury Road is a better made movie in pretty much every possible way.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. It's one of the greats, but it's more a finely-polished, well-tuned advancement of the existing status of the genre at that time. It didn't really redefine anything.

Saying T2 isn't as good as Fury Road isn't "T2 Hate" either. That's ridiculous. I own both films, and have watched both films multiple times.

But Fury Road is a better made movie in pretty much every possible way.

Mad Max fandom is crazy

i go back and forth between fury road and t2 ranking tbh. right now I think it's better but that can change any day.

it's definitely >> the matrix though. and all 3 belong with the gawds such as die hard, raiders of the lost ark, road warrior and predator.

inm8num2

I have no idea what you're talking about.

brb, gonna change my avatar for real pic January:

I'm just having a little fun. :p

(People confusing your opinion w/ T2 hate, and the tendency of 'salt' to eventually enter these types of conversations.)

I dig that salt vampire pic. We should all use that for a real pic.

By that logic Fury Road is a polished and CGId Road Warrior. How did it advance the chase flick in any meaningful way?

I'm just having a little fun.

I know, just goofing back!

BumRush said:
Bobby, I never said you "hate" T2.

I know you didn't! I wasn't referencing you, but the other guy who basically equated "not recognizing T2 as the best action film ever" to "hate"

By that logic Fury Road is a polished and CGId Road Warrior. How did it advance the chase flick in any meaningful way?

By that logic you're not using logic but being really reductive as a means to try and knock holes in an argument without actually knocking holes in it. Fury Road is also not very much at all like Road Warrior outside of the fact there's a guy named Max in it and he comes to help a group of people reluctantly. The plots aren't the same, Max's arc isn't the same, and the resolution of the story isn't the same. None of the characterizations are all that similar, either.

I never offered up the opinion that either T2 or Mad Max were "redefining" the genre, so I don't know why I have to prove Fury Road advanced anything. I'm simply saying it's a better film than T2 in almost every way, while also refuting the claim that T2 "redefined the genre." I mean, that's a nice sounding blurb, but lots of blurbs don't actually hold up under scrutiny. It looks good in bold red text on the back of a box, though.

A movie doesn't have to "redefine" anything to be a great film. T2 sure didn't. And Mad Max didn't have to redefine anything to be a better movie than T2, either.

labx

Banned

Now she is trying TOO hard to be "mean" and "real" like her new buddy Amy. This gal, is confusing having "balls" to being rude. And she went full transformation to the awkward girl winning all the stuff to the mean girl pointing the flaws. But there is a saying in my country if you point one finger to another three fingers are pointing at you.

And I think she learn the lesson of cell phone with the nude pics? too soon?

We now know that there is going to be a reboot of mean girls starting JLAW

labx

Banned

why tho? The joke? I guess is dumb, like her reaction. You know, mocking a foreign journalist because he is using a cellphone to maybe, maybe translate the question and then kicking it at the floor making more fun of him isn't nice. Her premise? the used of cellphones in everyday context is WRONG because you live in the "now". So when the nude pics incident came, she felt insulted, mocked and "raped" (her words), because she was using a cell phone for her own businesses... the press went after her by the same things that she said to the journalist. But why using a cellphone in that scenario? Context? Why is the need of making all "digital"?, Why use a cellphone is in every context especially the intimate contexts? And know she is the advocate of not using them at public contexts because the "now"? That is something that in psychology is called: Consistency Bias, Embodied Cognition, Self-Serving Bias and The Fundamental Attribution Error.

Ricky isn't funny.
His commentary is interesting and his jabs are on point but they don't deliver yuks or chuckles

Amy + Tina were 100000x better ''I put the pills in the people''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom