• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Are All That! Classic Nick shows return in July!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait until they start bringing in the rotation. I want to see those game shows again. Or just expand out into the day. No need for only four shows a night especially when they would be new for kids these days. It's free programming for them!

thetechkid

oQuRz.gif

Wish they'd done this for 80's Nick.

What I wouldn't do for a block with YCTDOT, Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget, Double Dare, Cities of Gold, etc

silentcapybara said:
They better air Scaredy Camp and Doug or I'll rage.

I think Disney has the rights to Doug, unless they expired a while back.

Edit: My research says that Nickelodeon is airing the episodes they aired. The Disney-produced stuff is separate.

Three companies lay claim to Doug -- the most obvious being Disney for all episodes produced since 1996, and Nickelodeon for all episodes produced for that channel, 1991 to 1994. However, Nickelodeon does not own all the rights to their version of Doug -- they only have the rights of distribution for North and South America only. Groupe Ellipse, the co-producer of the Nick version, has distribution rights for other parts of the world.

From the Nickelodeon wiki. There's still hope for classic Doug.

MIMIC

Banned
Full Metal Jacket said:
I'm hearing that the ratings were through the roof.

yep
It turns out Teen Nick wasn't lying when it claimed The 90s Are All That: Ratings are in for Monday night's first broadcast of the cabler's new late-night block of late-century Nick sitcoms (All That, Clarissa Explains It All, etc.), and Vulture is officially declaring them incredibly impressive. Among viewers 18–34, the demo Teen Nick is targeting in late-night, The 90s attracted ratings roughly 850 percent higher than the channel's previous time-period average in the midnight-to-2 a.m. block. Case in point: Last week, a repeat of Malcolm in the Middle on Teen Nick drew just 33,000 folks under 34. But Monday night, an episode of All That brought in 265,000 nostalgists. Likewise, an Undeclared rerun brought a mere 3,000 viewers 18–34 when it aired at 1 a.m. a few weeks back; Clarissa attracted 189,000 folks in the same demo, around 60 times as many viewers. But the nineties block didn't just improve upon Teen Nick's averages — it also crushed some impressive competition on other networks.

According to Nielsen, the midnight-to-1 a.m. combo of All That and Kenan and Kel drew roughly 600,000 viewers (of all ages) Monday, compared to the 374,000 viewers who caught Lopez Tonight on TBS in the same hour. It also bettered the 559,000 viewers who caught an Awkward rerun on MTV at midnight, as well as the roughly 500,000 people who checked out reruns of The New Adventures of Old Christine and HIMYM on Lifetime. Considering Teen Nick doesn't have anywhere near the profile of those other networks, its after-midnight performance can only be called extraordinary. If this keeps up, don't be shocked if The 90s Are All That spreads to prime time on one of the Nickelodeon channels.

and overall....

TeenNick has successfully brought back the ’90s. The network’s late-night launch of its retro “The ‘90s Are All That” block delivered the channel’s biggest viewership ever for the time period.

Kenan & Kel (1995), All That (1996), Doug (1991), and Clarissa Explains It All (1992) all performed well for the network. From midnight to 2 a.m. across basic cable, the block averaged 555,000 viewers, up 114 percent from last year. As you might expect, among the show’s target audience of 12 to 24, the block also bested older-skewing talk shows like The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Conan, and Late Show with David Letterman.

Classic Doug has been airing. Surprised the hell out of me Monday night. I'm guessing they have plans to expand the block, seeing that they are showing promo's for a shit ton of shows.

mj1108 said:
EXCELLENT! Now just make a whole channel out of it and all will be good in the world.

That's exactly what they need to do and if these ratings can be consistent through out this stint, then I can't see why.

MIMIC

Banned
mj1108 said:
EXCELLENT! Now just make a whole channel out of it and all will be good in the world.

THIS.

Some of the classic Nick shows used to be on Noggin, but then Noggin was dissolved into what is now the 24-hour TeenNick channel. Also, the old school game shows used to have their own channel (anyone remember Nick Games And Sports?).

Get in it, Nick!

I was so happy when I heard this was happening, watched an hour or two each night now, so many memories coming back...hope the ratings stay up!

Bgamer90

Banned
Kenan and Kel still holds up very well.

The show had similar production values & writing of major network family sitcoms during the time.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Something to look forward to when I finally move back out of Europe.

The trailers gave me that warm feeling of nostalgia in my heart again.

Chuckie

I love the 90-ies.... but all these shows.... I don't know them :O

I'm starting to think we didn't have Nickelodeon in the nineties in Holland... or maybe I just didn't watch it.

Came in for nostalgia, leave disappointed :(

AniHawk

so almost a month of this so far...

all that: that tlc opening is still awesome. sets the tone for a show that we don't actually get. a lot of sketches are usually Opposite Day things, or just complete randomness without a point. the peter and flem bits work because they're pretty short and don't run on too long. i like vital information, but a lot of them wind up being: 'don't say'. rewatching the show, kel and josh server stand out the most to me. there was a terrible cheese police sketch, but the moments between the two of them were the best parts.

kenan and kel: it's actually better than i remembered, and i think it's mostly due to kel. kenan's just... not that great, but kel brings a lot of energy and can kinda liven up a cheesy show. and some of the jokes and slapstick actually stands the test of time. i wouldn't say it's amazing, but it's not like all that, which hasn't aged well.

clarissa explains it all: it's interesting that clarissa is supposed to be this off-beat teenage girl (there's a whole episode devoted to her being 'weird'), when she's actually pretty normal. the show itself is usually pretty harmless too, and i'm surprised 'hell' and 'damn' actually made their way through the censors when 'crap' was the four letter word they were considered about at that time. it's not a very funny show, but the actors do their best. ferguson being a republican is one of those things that's funny in hindsight too, given his character on the show (and how i couldn't have cared less about politics when i was little).

doug: oh man. this is the highlight of the night, and not because it's any good. there's just so much wrong here that's taken for granted. occasionally there are some jokes that land (like judy referring to skeeter as 'the blue one'), but for the most part, the humor is unintentional. and the relationship between roger and doug is... strange, to say the least. it's less like roger's bullying doug, and more like he just wants doug to pay attention to him. and then doug believes everything he says despite having lied to him in the past about nearly everything. and that's nothing to say of doug's imagination, which is pretty big, and usually imagines the absolute worst-case scenario. and sometimes, he doesn't even keep it to himself. once, it shows skeeter reacting to what doug had just imagined, meaning doug had to have described this really dumb situation to skeeter. the kid needs serious help.

My thoughts on the shows is that All That and Kenan & Kel are still hilarious, especially K&K.

Carissa is really corny, not my type of show.

Anticitizen One said:
is are you afraid of the dark back?
It's expected to come soon yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom