• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The A.V. Club has moved to Kinja (i.e. Kotaku/Deadspin layout)

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Kinja, huh? Well, at least thanks to this thread I can put a name to the site design I hate so much.

Its really just the final nail in the coffin for me. The AV Club was a site I visited multiple times every day. Reviews of pretty much any TV show on air, O'Neil Newswires, My Year of Flops, Inventories, etc. It was very formative in my teens.

The site has gone the way of almost any other one that relies on the written word. Most of their traffic comes through social media, so it devolved into a bunch of "hey, here's this viral video, I guess I'll write 250 words about it." and their review coverage makes me sad. Most of their talent left a long time ago, though, so its not like they're being wasted.

GSR

Despite not actually watching that much TV, I really enjoyed the A.V. Club's reviews (and even the comments at times). I've learned a lot about critique from them over the years, and their feature work can be great.

But they've definitely been on a downward slope for the past few years (see 2014 when they lost a bunch of their best writers at once) and this new layout is just an awful match for what they put out. I'm repeating what others have said but the single-column chronological format sort of works for news sites like Kotaku, but when a big chunk of the site's appeal is reviews and features that aren't immediately time-sensitive it becomes a mess. Unless you start bookmarking categories*, you won't be able to see new reviews without scrolling through pages of celeb headlines and Great Job, Internet! and guessing what's actually a review.

*(Bonus: when I checked earlier today the categories for an individual TV show's reviews aren't chronological at all - going to Doctor Who spits up reviews from series 4 above reviews from the episodes that aired in June.)

I realize the actual content of the reviews and features aren't changing with this redesign, but I just can't see any benefit at all to the new layout.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
The AV Club was always a site I experienced through RSS. I don't care how the site is designed as long as I can read it. This Kinja thing doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can do without the reviews, I'll just use metacritic to get a quick impression of overall reception. But Does anyone else have an example of a site that has the following requirements:
1) Clear, clean layout
2) "What's on tonight" with a basic show list and a brief synopsis of new shows or new seasons.
3) No, really, a clean, clear layout.
4) I actually don't care that one of the cast members of Dogwelder Adventures made a comment about inequality.
5) The layout should be clear and clean.

From an hour or so of looking, Uproxx seems to be closest to getting "What's On Tonight" correct:

Main listings page:
http://uproxx.com/topic/whats-on-tonight/

Click on example daily article:
http://uproxx.com/tv/whats-on-tonight-the-sinner-usa-2/

Unfortunately although their main design is good and clean they have all the standard internet bullshit you need to make money in 2017 (subscribe to our newsletter, you might also like, share this on facebook/twitter, asshole bar following you as you scroll, infinite loader loading random ass articles you don't care about when you get to the bottom, etc.) They also have a shitty autoplay video ad that follows you.

I used the following filters to make the design somewhat less bad:
! Autoplay video ad
uproxx.com##.uproxx-featured-video-wrap
! Comments section and newsletter garbage
uproxx.com##.hide-before-done.uproxx-below-post
! More garbage at the bottom of articles
uproxx.com##.hide-before-done
! Infinite scroll loader
uproxx.com/uproxx_single_infinite/*
! The loading spinner for the infinite scroll loader I just blocked
uproxx.com##.infinite-loader

The downside is that the descriptions are more like TV Guide episode descriptions than show descriptions, and they include some trash reality tv that no one would care about. An upside is that they explicitly list late night guests, which I thought was cool.

The new layout just does not work at ALL for what The AV Club is. The blog is only a small part of the website. And the comments section is likely destined for decline the same way Deadspin's fell off after their migration.

That was locked because the original thread title was something like "The AV Club is DEAD" and it poisoned the thread.

mea culpa

Tookay

This is pretty much the worst format for the long-form pieces and long-running features that AV Club specializes in, to say nothing of how it basically destroys the comments section (which is the best part of the whole site).

Now it might as well be any other entertainment blog.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I went through the day's twitter reactions. I counted about 500 distinctly negative reactions and 2 clearly positive reactions (one appeared to be from a bitter ex commenter more happy that the old site was dead than that the new site was better).

The main announcement post from the AVClub account had 59 replies, and all of the ones that were germane and expressed a position were negative. The TV Club had 23 replies, all negative. The likes on the tweets seem mostly from spambots, and the public retweets are almost entirely self-retweets from other accounts associated with the Gawker / Kinja / whatever brand.

I don't think I've ever seen such a lopsided reaction. What's worse is that many of the comments read something like "I've been reading the AV Club every day for a decade, I have 10,000 comments, it's the only media site I read, and I just deleted my bookmark and won't be migrating my commenting account." -- like it's not just "this is bad", it's "I no longer want to be a part of this at all."

ZeroX03

Banned
What the fuck.

Loved AV Club. Loved that I could see the latest 20 or so reviews at a glance. Was easy to navigate. But I can't with this layout. It's so bad. Headache inducing. It sort of made sense for Kotaku and all those sites, but here it just ruins it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I basically ceased to read io9 because of Kinja.

It's not only unintuitive and ugly as few others, but an extremely poor fit for long form articles. Kinja is barely adequate for PR/YouTube shitposting as it is. IIRC Gawker had the balls to make it about empowering reader comments and whatnot, but it basically ruined them.

This reeks of top management meddling.

Jako

What a mess, I was trying to read a couple of Twin Peaks reviews, I managed to get to the "Season 3" page, but you just have a bunch of articles with random titles and you have to open them one by one to find out what episode they're about, unless it's mentioned in the short description of the article.

I loved how simple the old layout was, being able to see every season and every episode in chronological order with the score right next to it was the main reason I visited avclub. :(

Alienfan

What a mess, I was trying to read a couple of Twin Peaks reviews, I managed to get to the "Season 3" page, but you just have a bunch of articles with random titles and you have to open them one by one to find out what episode they're about, unless it's mentioned in the short description of the article.

I loved how simple the old layout was, being able to see every season and every episode in chronological order with the score right next to it was the main reason I visited avclub. :(

It's such a mess, you basically have to go looking for new reviews, there's no subsection, they look the same as news articles so it's really hard to find them. I'm sure they'll iron out the kinks eventually, but I have no idea why they launched it in this state.

ghostjoke

Banned
tenor.gif

You start acting a certain way and eventually it manifests physically.

Everyday at lunch the first thing I do is pop open a tab for Gaf and tab for AVClub. I was genuinely gutted when I opened it today.

Honestly it looks like a massive pile of shit. It's not a surprise because the internet's business model incentivizes blog spam (reposting press releases and YouTube videos while adding a few lines of snarky captioning) and circular link farm clickbait (i.e. "You might also like", "More on <site name.com>"). The AVClub's strongest content was long-form written reviews, which are now buried and difficult to navigate. Try to, at a glance, tell what content are reviews, what grades the reviews gave. Try to pull up a season of television and see what grades all the episodes have. I would guess something like 80% of the page's layout now consists of stuff other than the content and navigation core to the actual content you're trying to read. The actual main page is now entirely just blog posts about stuff I could have read about on reddit or GAF.

I'm sure some of this will be fixed, for example the fact that it's not obvious from the title that something is a review, as new content gets posted. But some of it is structural and reflects a changing priority for the site in response to market conditions.

All the other Kinja websites suck too. It's a large part of the reason I don't read them. The combination of a terrible trashy layout and content that does well under that format.

Not trying to be a jerk. It's precisely because I love the site and writers and that it's such a good resource that I feel disappointed.

I can do without the reviews, I'll just use metacritic to get a quick impression of overall reception. But Does anyone else have an example of a site that has the following requirements:
1) Clear, clean layout
2) "What's on tonight" with a basic show list and a brief synopsis of new shows or new seasons.
3) No, really, a clean, clear layout.
4) I actually don't care that one of the cast members of Dogwelder Adventures made a comment about inequality.
5) The layout should be clear and clean.

This basically sums it up for me, and I'd also kill for a recommendation of a decent replacement site. Mostly for daily TV reviews/whats on but I did also read quite a few articles from across the site.

Jakoo

So The AV Club is going to continue having Gameological Posts, and those will be branded separately then Kotaku?

Also, when drilling down to a show review, you need to now drill into each post to see the score?

Univision trying to consolidate all of their brands makes a lot of sense but this implementation feels off.

EDIT: There is a blatant defect when you hover over The AV Club in the top bar, the dropdown shows content from other Kinja sites instead of The AV Club. Did anyone test this?

This should make me sad but it doesn't. The site's been slowly dying for the past few years and this is just finally putting it out of its misery.

It's basically assisted suicide for a website.

My main issue with it right now is that when you're reading on a desktop (at least for me), the main text of an article takes up only the right 2/3s of the screen. The left third of the screen is a giant side bar with recommended articles, ads, and a fuck-ton of empty space. I hate it, and it's part of the reason why I stopped reading Kotaku and other former Gawker sites regularly. It's as if the article content is getting pushed off-screen to the right by a giant, pointless, mostly empty column of white.

I'd be OK with it if it was just the front page and the articles' pages were centered or took up the whole width of the screen. But no. Instead I'm looking at only 2/3s of my screen to read the content that I'm actually interested in. And what's worse, I'll always be bothered by the giant sidebar on the left since my eyes will naturally travel from left to right.

I feel really bad for their long form writers. Really good reviews/articles just get buried after half a day. It's kinda brutal.

I've been going on avclub daily for the past few years, and this is sad. The "blog style" doesn't fit them at all.

Heck, even in the apology post they can't come up with even one advantage of moving to Kinja (other then saving money).

Mr. F

Banned
This is a fucking bummer, man. I really enjoyed the organization of the old site and the at a glance ratings for recent media. So bizarre that they would shoehorn the infinite scroll layout to AVC's type of content.

ryseing

I get that Univision has to justify buying Gizmodo somehow, but this whole thing is a disaster. AV Club has been one of my go to's for years now, and now it's literally unreadable.

What a clusterfuck. Kinja was a mistake.

Bummer. I mostly subscribe to RSS feeds anyway, but still, I just started watching The Handmaiden’s Tale and I love going back and reading the recaps and comments.

verdures

PvkmbpL.png

Sure, AV Club. One of the few sites that I really like, despite it's highs and lows, and this is just... not great. For all of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Xe4

Banned
I loathe the Kinja layout. Shame too, cause sites like Kotaku (and The AV Club for that matter) put out some good shit. Too bad it is so frustrating to browse through amd/or comment on.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Auto changing the url and infinite scroll might be the two worst design decisions I've ever had to deal with on a modern website, kinja is trash.

Won

It is (was) one of the few sites on the Internet I actually visited regulary. Always enjoyed reading some of the features and older reviews. I guess that's over now for good.

Great job, Internet, indeed.

kaskade

I loved reading their site. Now it just doesn’t make any sense. Unless you are visiting it every 10 minutes stuff seems like it’ll get buried (which is probably the idea).

I would’ve loved if The Dissolve could’ve worked with some patreon service or something. I’d kill to have that back.

berzeli

Banned
I haven't frequented the AV Club from the very beginning, but I have probably put in a decade or so in that site. It has had some shitty design choices, but nothing which renders the site unusable.

Until now.

It's just such a fundamentally unsuitable design for what the AV club was.

Also this:
I would’ve loved if The Dissolve could’ve worked with some patreon service or something. I’d kill to have that back.
Only I wouldn't kill, am totally up for causing some grievous bodily harm in exchange for it though.

kaskade

So anyone found any decent alternatives?
Vulture and variety don’t seem too bad for news and some episode reviews and recaps. I’ve enjoyed vultures Twin Peaks stuff.

Birth.movies.death is probably my favorite but they don’t usually do consistent episode by episode reviews expect some of he bigger shows.

jtb

Banned
So anyone found any decent alternatives?
Vulture and variety don’t seem too bad for news and some episode reviews and recaps. I’ve enjoyed vultures Twin Peaks stuff.

Birth.movies.death is probably my favorite but they don’t usually do consistent episode by episode reviews expect some of he bigger shows.

Writing is writing. I expect the good stuff will continue to be good. My issue with the layout is that it's just that much harder to find the good stuff.

Vulture is great.

Kaizer

Banned
Never visited the A.V. Club much in its original form, but I've been reading Deadspin, Kotaku, i09 & Jezebel on a daily basis for 3 years or so, so I'm used to their site layout. It's not the best that's for sure and it'll definitely take some getting used to from users of the old layout.

caliph95

While I had problems with the design of the site especially on mobile, the redesign sucks and makes more of pain especially on checking different episodes

Top Bottom