• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Agent before Agent, a lost Rockstar San Diego project

Shin

Banned
In 2009, onstage during Sony’s E3 press conference, Jack Tretton, then-CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, announced a game called Agent.

“For more than a decade, Rockstar Games have been delivering unrivaled interactive experiences to fans all over the world,” Tretton said. “Grand Theft Auto, Bully, Midnight Club, and Manhunt all began on PlayStation.
Today, we’d like to announce a new property from Rockstar North. It’s called Agent. And it will be exclusive to PlayStation 3.”

It was to be, as Rockstar co-founder Sam Houser put it in a news release, the “ultimate action game.”

“The game, like anything from Rockstar North, is going to be very, very cool,” Ben Feder, then-CEO of Rockstar owner Take-Two Interactive, told GamesIndustry.biz. “It’s going to push the edge, it’s going to be genre-defining, and it’s going to be a whole new way of experiencing video games that we haven’t really seen before.”

And then, outside of Take-Two confirming in 2010 and 2011 that the game was still in development, Agent pretty much disappeared from the public eye. For the better part of a decade, many speculated if and/or when the game would see the light of day.

post-10-0-25305300-1343836169.jpg

Credit: Polygon

Note: worth the read IMO...

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
That video's not Agent, it's Eight Days. Uploader's probably just baiting for views.
Thanks for the story, cancelled games seem to be one of my favorite gaming interests.

Shin

Banned
That video's not Agent, it's Eight Days.
You're right, mistake is mine as I mixed up sketches that were "leaked" a year or so ago.
Thought that there was a video of early production, guess I remember that part wrong.

This game from what I've seen and Whore of the Orient, dude Rockstar really got some AAA+ talent that keep bringing that unique take that no one else does or can.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You're right, mistake is mine as I mixed up sketches that were "leaked" a year or so ago.
Thought that there was a video of early production, guess I remember that part wrong.

This game from what I've seen and Whore of the Orient, dude Rockstar really got some AAA+ talent that keep bringing that unique take that no one else does or can.
First time I saw Eight Days footage it was labeled as "GTA 5," so I've been deceived by it as well.

God, Whore of the Orient, how I'd love to play that. A shame Team Bondi only ever released one game. I want more of the fACIAL ANIMATION

"In the mid-2000s, three people with close ties to Rockstar San Diego passed away in short succession: one, Mike Haynes, while working there, and two, Carlos Hernandez and Bill Purvis, after departing the company. While the circumstances varied for each, it’s something, even today, that’s hard to talk about for some developers interviewed for this story."

Houser Brothers murderers confirmed
kttcoliooh

Top Bottom