• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Aladdin controversy Disney can't escape

You're own Wikipedia link starts off by stating "...is a middle eastern folklore." Where do you think the Middle East is?

Yes, and yet everyone of those ethnic groups (I honestly have never seen an Arab play a non Arab role in a Hollywood film, so I don't know why you've got Middle easterners there) have had actors from their own ethnic groups play parts written for that group. I very much doubt that if Hollywood was adaption a major Indian saga, Indians would be ok with Arabs and Persians being cast to play the roles.

You literally just brought up Gal Gadot. LOL

jett

D-Member
Yeah, she's goddamn beautiful, but also funny as hell. Loved her on The League. She was on the Giant Bombcast during E3 and she's really cool.

Unfortunately she's older by over a decade of what Disney is looking for

C6ehKEqWcAkR8IC.jpg:small

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
You're own Wikipedia link starts off by stating "...is a middle eastern folklore." Where do you think the Middle East is?

You can have Middle Eastern folklore about other countries. Ever hear of the Uyghur and the Hui? They're Muslims living in China who have cultures and customs distinct from Arab ones and look physically closer to Han Chinese than Arabs.

Aladdin takes place in a fictional city described as being near the Jordan river. Agrabah was later revealed to be an anagram for Baghdad..

Neither Baghdad or the Jordan river are anywhere near India.
Galland added Alladin to Arabian Nights because he heard it from an Arabic storyteller, but the tale is about Asia. Galland changed several parts since he mistook it for being in the middle east.

https://interestingliterature.com/2013/01/30/surprising-facts-about-aladdin/

Unfortunately she's older by over a decade of what Disney is looking for

C6ehKEqWcAkR8IC.jpg:small

Yeah, not sure about her singing or dancing chops either, but I had an excuse to promote here. She's into video games and working in the industry now as voice and mocap, so she's aces n my book.

riotous

Banned
Galland added Alladin to Arabian Nights because he heard it from an Arabic storyteller, but the tale is about Asia. Galland changed several parts since he mistook it for being in the middle east.

Sure; but this is about the Disney movie. Which is not a tale about Asia.

It's honestly mind-boggling to imagine the level of scrutiny to not find actors. I get it. Hollywood has done such a poor job with representation that even fancasting is choosing the same half dozen actors in their 30s and 40s... but how. How are they so rudderless.

I mean, I like Lily James in Baby Driver, but if you're OK with her and the less popular Stark brother leading Cinderella, you're not looking for big names.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
You can have Middle Eastern folklore about other countries. Ever hear of the Uyghur and the Hui? They're Muslims living in China who have cultures and customs distinct from Arab ones and look physically closer to Han Chinese than Arabs.
I know who those ethnic groups are. What does that have to do with Aladdin. You honestly think the medieval story tellers in the Middle East, created the Arabian Nights tales and didn't intend for the caharcaters to be Arabs living in far away lands? Also, the Uyghar would have been living in an independent Turkic state and not under china during this time.

Ok so we've got people in this very thread dismissing Gadot though lol. Plus, she played an Israeli in fast and furious, and an Amazon in Wonder Women. Where are the Amazonians whose role she stole? :p

LOL

I'd dimiss Gal myself, because she's White.

My point is it's how you look, not your ethnicity. That's why she wouldn't be good to cast as Jasmine but was perfect for Wonder Woman.

Is Gal Gadot ethnically Jewish? I vaguely remember reading that her ancestry is European.

Looking it up. Her ancestry is Polish-Jewish, Austrian-Jewish, German-Jewish, and Czech-Jewish.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I know who those ethnic groups are. What does that have to do with Aladdin. You honestly think the medieval story tellers in the Middle East, created the Arabian Nights tales and didn't intend for the caharcaters to be Arabs living in far away lands? Also, the Uyghar would have been living in an independent Turkic state and not under china during this time.

I don't pretend to know what the Arabian storytellers were thinking because that would be a dumb thing to base an argument on.

Heshinsi

LOL

I'd dimiss Gal myself, because she's White.

My point is it's how you look, not your ethnicity. That's why she wouldn't be good to cast as Jasmine.

Looking it up. Her ancestry is Polish-Jewish, Austrian-Jewish, German-Jewish, and Czech-Jewish.
So Arabs born in the Middle East who look white can't get the role? There are families (mine included) where members can pass for Southern European or the more recognised Middle Eastern look. To us it doesn't mean much. But it's incredible how we could be separated like this.

So an Arab actress who is fully Arab from both parents, but has a lighter complexion, would be the wrong choice for casting, but an Indian actress who's a shade darker would work because there's a certain look they want? That's insulting as fuck if they do that lol.

So Arabs born in the Middle East who look white can't get the role? There are families (mine included) where members can pass for Southern European or the more recognised Middle Eastern look. To us it doesn't mean much. But it's incredible how we could be separated like this.

So an Arab actress who is fully Arab from both parents, but has a lighter complexion, would be the wrong choice for casting, but an Indian actress who's a shade darker would work because there's a certain look they want? That's insulting as fuck if they do that lol.

But what's the point if that Arab person looks like a White person? Hollywood would love that, because to them it's no different than casting a White actor that they can pretend and say they're being diverse.

But there's more than enough, some might say too much, White representation in Hollywood films. White looking Middle Easterns aren't getting harassed or racially profiled, nor do they look like the Disney depictions of Aladdin and Jasmine.

You might as well cast a White person then, right?

DopeToast

Banned
I love love love love the animated version of Aladdin, and I think it's still watchable even amid the stereotypes, or at least I hope.

But I do not think they should make this live action version at all.

They're definitely qualified PoC actors. Just probably want to go with the more bankable default
white
lead tho.

She is Israli.

This reminds me of when Prince of Persia became a controversy, yet here's a Persian.

p14371.jpg

Seems some people have a stereo typical view of what Middle Eastern or Arab people should look like, when they are a very diverse people color wise.

Not saying they should cast Zack Morris as Aladdin or anything, but trying to establish a ethnicity based on a Disney cartoon isn't the best way either.

Who is actually part filipino. Which does kinda go with your post on making assumption on people's race.

Heshinsi

But there's enough White representation in Hollywood films. White looking Middle Easterns aren't getting harassed or racially profiled, nor do they look like the Disney depictions of Aladdin and Jasmine.

You might as well cast a White person then, right?
It's not the same man. This is very weird to me lol. I think it may have to do with how ethnicity is viewed in the Middle East, I don't know. Like I wouldn't view an Arab with light complexion as white. But I never put thought into how people who are non Arabs would view them. That's on me I suppose.

Hmm, that Wiki article is kinda vague but I assume it means European ancestry with ethnically Jewish roots *shrug*.

Don't think she's right for Jasmine anyway.
She is Israli.

This reminds me of when Prince of Persia became a controversy, yet here's a Persian.

p14371.jpg

Seems some people have a stereo typical view of what Middle Eastern or Arab people should look like, when they are a very diverse people color wise.
The problem with Prince of Persia was that Gyllenhaal could pass as Persian once some makeup was put on but he still looked distinctly white to me.

I can still tell these guys are Iranian even though they don't look like a stereotype:
bahram-radan-photo-shoots-10_950478ea.jpg

AFM37.jpg

It's not the same man. This is very weird to me lol. I think it may have to do with how ethnicity is viewed in the Middle East, I don't know. Like I wouldn't view an Arab with light complexion as white. But I never put thought into how people who are non Arabs would view them. That's on me I suppose.
LOL

I can see how it may be weird, but it's simple; Hollywood casts more by HOW YOU LOOK, not by what your ethnicity actually is with the default being White.

Hmm, that Wiki article is kinda vague but I assume it means European ancestry with ethnically Jewish roots *shrug*.

Don't think she's right for Jasmine anyway.

Yeah, I took it that she's an Ashkenazi Jew

My boy Dev Patel from Slumdog Millionaire would make a great Aladdin IMO

I know hes indian but he looks like how I alwas pictured a real life aladdin

Lexi's acting like a dumbass
“Nobody in their right mind can state that it is impossible to find a young male South Asian or Middle-Eastern actor who can dance, sing and act,” says Academy Award nominated director Lexi Alexander, who is half German, half Palestinian. “Bollywood is an entire industry made up of talents like this and the Middle East has equally as much talent. It’s a convenient system that insists actors-of-colour need to be household names to be cast, while nobody wants to give them a break.” Alexander posted a list of potential actors on Twitter, asking Guy to “give me a call.”​
Where's the lie? 😉

Despite the fact that Agrabah is supposed to be in ancient Iraq, there are so many Indian influences and references in Aladdin (part of the reason it's so problematic to many) that I see why they're doing SA and ME for casting. Less charitably, they just don't care that much.

Gal Gadot is white though. Stop. If it came down to Gal, or someone equivalently white and an Indian woman, you would really pick Gal for this?

Except Latino and Middle Eastern people look nothing alike? Unless being "brown" overrides everything else.

I guarantee you there are Middle Easterners that could pass for Latino, and Latinos that could pass for Middle Easterners. Both groups are highly varied in skin tones and physical features.

Heshinsi

I guarantee you there a Middle Easterns that could pass for Latino, and Latinos that could pass for Middle Easterns. Both groups are highly varied in skin tones and physical features.
Ok you know at this point, let them cast any brown skinned person they want. But for the love of Allah, please get those Arab words pronounced right Hollywood. Don't make me sit in the theatre like,

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

But then when the non Arab actors they've used are actually solid, and this film becomes a break out role for them, here I am again doing this,

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

because I'm thinking "what if middle eastern actors got these roles?"

I'd be happy that we've got more brown actors recognised, but sad at the same time :(

I just hope this film is good.

Ok you know at this point, let them cast any brown skinned person they want. But for the love of Allah, please get those Arab words pronounced right Hollywood. Don't make me sit in the theatre like,

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

But then when the non Arab actors they've used are actually solid, and this film becomes a break out role for them, here I am again doing this,

jimmy-mcnulty.gif

I'd be happy that we've got more brown actors recognised, but sad at the same time :(

LOL

No you and George bring up a good point though.

I refuse to believe they did a worldwide search and couldn't find actor's of Arab descent that look the parts, and could act, sing, dance, and speak English well.

Heshinsi

LOL

No you and George bring up a good point though.

I refuse to believe they did a worldwide search and couldn't find actor's of Arab descent that look the parts, and could act, sing, dance, and speak English well.
I knew Disney were being a bunch of fuck bois the minute they announced Guy Ritchie would direct. Really, that's who you give us? Everything since just reinforced that Disney aren't serious about this.

Game-Biz

I think it will be good, I just hope they don't do obvious stereotyping. My main annoyance will be how "perfect" Jazmine and Aladdin will look in every scene i.e. perfect hair, skin, face ect. I mean, I guess my gripe is with Hollywood in general...
I knew Disney were being a bunch of fuck bois the minute they announced Guy Ritchie would direct. Really, that's who you give us? Everything since just reinforced that Disney aren't serious about this.
Yeah, I have to agree. And I like Ritchie.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
In a hilarious crossover announcement, the BBC and Disney will announce that the runner up to play the 13th Doctor will be playing Aladdin.

She is Israli.

p14371.jpg

Not saying they should cast Zack Morris as Aladdin or anything, but trying to establish a ethnicity based on a Disney cartoon isn't the best way either.
Diverse color but everyone that posted someone they are on the upper end of the paper bag test tho

Top Bottom