• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Bang Theory’ Delays Start of Production Amid Actor Contract Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvingt2

Talks between Warners and the actors’ reps has been on and off since January. The offers on the table for Parsons, Cuoco and Galecki has topped the $1 million per episode mark, plus a larger sliver of the show’s backend, for a three-season commitment. “Big Bang,” from the prolific Chuck Lorre Prods., is projected to gross more than $1 billion in syndication sales for the studio, thanks to mammoth first-cycle deals with TV stations and cabler TBS and strong advertising sales.

But the negotiations have been complicated by the fact that Parsons’ team is said to be angling for a bigger payday than Cuoco and Galecki, while those two are insisting on parity with Parsons. Helberg and Nayyar are said to be unsatisfied with offers that are lower than those for the other three.

Parsons is a three-time Emmy winner for his “Big Bang” role, and he’s a two-time nominee this year for “Big Bang” and for his work in the HBO telepic “The Normal Heart.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/the...duction-amid-actor-contract-talks-1201271913/

If the production company really does stand to make a billion from the show, then I have absolutely no issues with the stars getting a pay rise.

Also, Parsons should absolutely be getting a bigger payout than the others. The show lives and dies on his performance.

aparisi2274

Isn't this show hitting "Friends" popularity? They probably deserve a pay raise.

Yes, and that is why they are all trying to get $1 mil per episode...

The original story I had read was that the entire cast was going to negotiate as a group, ala Friends, and get the same payday per episodes... and of course CBS is giving them shit, so now Big Bang gets delayed...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
it showed when they weren't at comic con.

They are not real nerds

A few years back before the show was really, really popular, I saw them at Comic Con on a panel (it happened to be right before the 24 panel from that year) and I can assure you this is just a paycheck for them.

studyguy

A few years back before the show was really, really popular, I saw them at Comic Con on a panel (it happened to be right before the 24 panel from that year) and I can assure you this is just a paycheck for them.

If I could get paid a cold million to drop a few bazingos to a laugh track, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hugh Laurie isn't a doctor, but I mean I love the shit out of House.

Cipherr

Regardless of whether folks think the popularity is deserved or not, this show makes a fucktruckton of money.

They need to just pay up and stop bullshitting. The show is like 6 seasons in and the rating are rising. Ridiculous success, just go ahead and give them the raises they want for the 3 extra seasons. Im not sure what futures some of the actors/actresses have in TV to be honest, so they had better secure their futures while they can. Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch may find alot of work in the future, but the rest? I dunno.

Well, David Schwimmer isn't a real palaeontologist. That's fiction for ya.

dead2.gif

MartyStu

Parsons wants more money than Galecki and Cuoco? He deserves it, considering he pretty much carries the show.

He is actually the worse part of the show in my opinion. I would not want him gone, but there is only so much of his character that I can stand.

Seth C

He is actually the worse part of the show in my opinion. I would not want him gone, but there is only so much of his character that I can stand.

Yup. No one would tune in to watch that character on his own. It's the ensemble cast that makes the show work.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Stewart might be the only one who could look like a nerd in real life.

The guys from Always Sunny had it right when they basically said that the BBT cast gets better looking with each season.

Regardless, all five, hell seven of them deserve a huge pay increase because syndicate is going to go on forever.

Deadly

Stewart might be the only one who could look like a nerd in real life.

The guys from Always Sunny had it right when they basically said that the BBT cast gets better looking with each season.

Regardless, all five, hell seven of them deserve a huge pay increase because syndicate is going to go on forever.
Kaley Cuocu was way hotter back in S1

As much as I loathe that show, those actors deserve as much money as they can possibly get.

When you're a star of a hugely popular TV show, you deserve to get paid. Big time.

daviyoung

Banned
They should just be given permanent contracts, could throw in a pension plan too. What else kind of work will they be able to get now?

Regardless of whether folks think the popularity is deserved or not, this show makes a fucktruckton of money.

They need to just pay up and stop bullshitting. The show is like 6 seasons in and the rating are rising. Ridiculous success, just go ahead and give them the raises they want for the 3 extra seasons. Im not sure what futures some of the actors/actresses have in TV to be honest, so they had better secure their futures while they can. Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch may find alot of work in the future, but the rest? I dunno.

Well, Galecki and Cuoco have been around for a while; Cuoco in particular has already been a series regular on 2-3 TV shows before TBBT. I'd be surprised if Galecki and especially Cuoco just dry up after TBBT ends, unless they do so because they're so damn rich they just don't give a crap.

kmag

A bit of insight into their current pay deals

Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting reportedly are aiming to increase their per-episode salary from north of $300,000 (plus a quarter-of-a-point on the back end) to possibly a cool million, while Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar (currently fetching $125 and $75K per episode, respectively) also are seeking sizable raises.

Seems like Helberg and Nayyar are getting hosed, especially if they don't have a percentage on the backend which for this show should be pretty lucrative.

Deadly

Well, Galecki and Cuoco have been around for a while; Cuoco in particular has already been a series regular on 2-3 TV shows before TBBT. I'd be surprised if Galecki and especially Cuoco just dry up after TBBT ends, unless they do so because they're so damn rich they just don't give a crap.
I think the problem would be more them being typecast into their current roles. While hot girl can be done everywhere, the nerd stereotype isn't for everything
A bit of insight into their current pay deals. Seems like Helberg and Nayyar are getting hosed, especially if they don't have a percentage on the backend which for this show should be pretty lucrative.
Wow considering the popularity of the show, they should probably get more. I only know the Friends cast were getting 1mil per episode though. How much do actors tend to get for popular shows?

THRILLH0

Banned
Whilst the idea of the core ensemble all getting paid equally is nice, I think tiers of Parsons / Galecki & Cuoco / the rest is fair for this show.

Howard and Raj should definitely be much closer to the others than they are currently however.

Mareg

In my opinion Parsons (Sheldon) > Helberg (Howard) = Cuoco (Penny) > Nayyar (Raj) > Rauch (Bernadette) >>>>> Bialik (Amy)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Galecki (Leonard)

Seriously Galecki shoud pay from his own pocket to appear on the show. He is that bad to me. I can't stand his acting. He is a tool at best to support the other characters.
Amy is less aggravating and her script is often funy. But her acting is almost equal to the dismal Galecki. Good thing the rest of the cast is obviously stellar. They save the show from the absolute disaster that is Galecki.

Does Galecki appear in any other show ? Maybe I should try to listen to one of them to see if I have a problem with him as an actor or the script on this particular show.

Hatchtag

Banned
In my opinion Parsons (Sheldon) > Helberg (Howard) = Cuoco (Penny) > Nayyar (Raj) > Rauch (Bernadette) >>>>> Bialik (Amy)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Galecki (Leonard)

Seriously Galecki shoud pay from his own pocket to appear on the show. He is that bad to me. I can't stand his acting. He is a tool at best to support the other characters.
Amy is less aggravating and her script is often funy. But her acting is almost equal to the dismal Galecki. Good thing the rest of the cast is obviously stellar. They save the show from the absolute disaster that is Galecki.

Does Galecki appear in any other show ? Maybe I should try to listen to one of them to see if I have a problem with him as an actor or the script on this particular show.

Galecki's the only one who could have any sort of decent career outside of TBBT, he's the only one who could possibly ever have a source of income comparable to the show after its over. The rest of the cast are all one-trick ponies.

EDIT: Fixed, meant to be the one who was on Rosanne before. Not Howard. Howard is terrible.

It's hard to think anybody is putting themselves into any of Chuck Lorre's productions. He's the king of junk TV that prints money.

dorkimoe

Tim Allen was getting a million per show for home improvement in the 90s. Pretty sure they deserve the million or so per episode

Cipherr

That shows how little I know lol. I hadn't seen Galecki in anything except Roseanne and that was a long time ago, and I had no idea Cuoco has any presence worth a damn before this show.

Busty

Banned
Big Bang Theory is literally worth BILLIONS to Warner Bros with syndication, worldwide TV sales and merchandising all factored in.

A deal will get done. There's too much money on the line for that not to happen.

Everyone will go back to work.

kmag

To be fair to Galecki, he's essentially the straight man (think Ross from Friends) which can be a hard sell in a sitcom, especially as the character is a simpering toss pot every other character is pretty one note (well it is a Chuck Lorre joint) as well it's just their one note shtick is more memorable and entertaining.

Jarrod38

What I always found irritating about Cuoco is how much work she has done since 8 Simple Rules and the other two siblings hasn't done much work.

Tim Allen was getting a million per show for home improvement in the 90s. Pretty sure they deserve the million or so per episode
If my memory is correct ABC wanted give him $2m for a ninth season and each season is like 20 to 24 episodes long. That right there is just crazy.

Linkyn

Why is it so hard to make TV shows with actual ensemble casts? I can't fathom why Helberg and Nayyar are potentially getting shafted like this.

Cipherr

WAT da hell! I never knew HI was that popular. Thats insane. Especially if he really did turn down 2m per for a season 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom