• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Bang Theory’ Delays Start of Production Amid Actor Contract Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioNoir

Banned
Just let the show die, it wasn't funny at the start and it hasn't gotten funny since. The IT crowd is the better show.

But Friends was the better show.

It's the numbers they bring that prove it's "funny" enough to be where it's at. I'm not a huge fan of BBT (and I do love The IT Crowd), but they're doing something right here that goes beyond one person's opinion on what makes good or bad sitcoms.

Friends was a good show, but whether it was more, equal, or less worthy of its fame is left to the individual viewer. The money it generated says it hit enough people in the right spot to earn their fame, same as BBT.

... and now I just wanna go home and re-watch The IT Crowd.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The senior citizens in my life are going to be bummed about this.

Tim Allen was getting a million per show for home improvement in the 90s. Pretty sure they deserve the million or so per episode

Not a good comparison, he owned half the production company.

Either way I'd be holding out for more money, especially the main three.

the worst thing about Parsons' character is how continuously stupider he gets. He's supposedly a genius but hasn't done anything intelligent for the past 4 seasons. if you would relaunch the show and tell everyone he's mentally handicapped you wouldn't have to alter the plot at all.

Kaley Cuocu was way hotter back in S1

Agreed. I love the show and did a marathon re-watch of every season recently and this was the main thing I noticed. She's exceptionally attractive in S1 and S2 and then as the show progresses she begins to fade. I found it so unusual because her age difference is what, 22 at the beginning and then 28 by the latest season? She should in theory be just as attractive now because she's still in her twenties and relatively young.

You look at someone like Katy Perry for comparison (who turns 30 this year) and she's just as stunning a she was when she released California Gurls almost five years ago.

Just always found it strange.

Kandinsky

the worst thing about Parsons' character is how continuously stupider he gets. He's supposedly a genius but hasn't done anything intelligent for the past 4 seasons. if you would relaunch the show and tell everyone he's mentally handicapped you wouldn't have to alter the plot at all.

Well the show is pretty dumb anyway, I mean a person like Raj wouldnt get anywhere in real life not being able to talk to women, stupid shit.

All of the Friends comparisons here. Let's please stop the mythologizing that Friends was any good after the first 1-2 seasons. Try watching a random episode in syndication sometime: hackneyed humor, corny jokes, rote characters played by actors going through the motions. The show mostly consisted of put-upon quirkiness and lame one-liners masquerading as humor. "Look Phoebe made a weird face and said something kooky, isn't that hilarious!" There's a reason that Seinfeld is still syndicated during the day, but Friends plays maybe once at midnight.

TBBT is a divisive show and has been much more uneven since it got popular (and had to appeal to broader audiences), but it still cranks out 5 or so killer episodes per season that are much better than the better episodes of Friends. So if the cast of Friends getting $1M per episode is the standard, then TBBT cast deserves an even better deal. At the very least, Parsons needs to monetize those Emmys. Dude is the biggest sitcom star in the world right now, time to cut the check, CBS.

dorkkaos

All of the Friends comparisons here. Let's please stop the mythologizing that Friends was any good after the first 1-2 seasons. Try watching a random episode in syndication sometime: hackneyed humor, corny jokes, rote characters played by actors going through the motions. The show mostly consisted of put-upon quirkiness and lame one-liners masquerading as humor. "Look Phoebe made a weird face and said something kooky, isn't that hilarious!" There's a reason that Seinfeld is still syndicated during the day, but Friends plays maybe once at midnight.

I still watch Friends a lot. I still actually see some channels do the 4-5 episode marathon each night.. I still love the jokes, I love the humor, I love the overarching story in each season (or in the case of the Rachel/ Ross romance, the whole series). Maybe it's just not your thing (And really, I dislike Phoebe the most). It's still hilarioius, and one of the best sitcoms (like Seinfeld and...Scrubs bahaha!)

On topic though, WTF? Raj and howard are getting ripped off! They need to get paid more. I'm not a fan of BBT, but yeah, they deserve the money based on how much that show pulls.

I still watch Friends a lot. I still actually see some channels do the 4-5 episode marathon each night.. I still love the jokes, I love the humor, I love the overarching story in each season (or in the case of the Rachel/ Ross romance, the whole series). Maybe it's just not your thing (And really, I dislike Phoebe the most). It's still hilarioius, and one of the best sitcoms (like Seinfeld and...Scrubs bahaha!)

On topic though, WTF? Raj and howard are getting ripped off! They need to get paid more. I'm not a fan of BBT, but yeah, they deserve the money based on how much that show pulls.

That makes sense, maybe you had to be there at the time for the characters to have an impact. I only watched Friends intermittently back in the day, so I don't have the same connection to the characters.

jstripes

Banned
Christ, they're getting a $1million an episode for the next 72 episodes and each of the three could net $100 million over the next 3 years. Can't believe this show is successful.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/big...hnny-galecki-kaley-cuoco-close-big-new-deals/

Xr3UWls.png

Alebrije

If the actor that makes sheldom goes , will happen the same when Charlee S. went out of Two and a Half men.

The deserves more money than any to the other actors

tmarques

Parsons, Cuoco and Galecki has topped the $1 million per episode mark

I understand they should be paid according to how much money the show is making, but it's still mindblowing. Parsons is a one-note actor and the other two are below-average at best. Good for them, though.

Seth C

TBBT is a divisive show and has been much more uneven since it got popular (and had to appeal to broader audiences), but it still cranks out 5 or so killer episodes per season that are much better than the better episodes of Friends. So if the cast of Friends getting $1M per episode is the standard, then TBBT cast deserves an even better deal. At the very least, Parsons needs to monetize those Emmys. Dude is the biggest sitcom star in the world right now, time to cut the check, CBS.

Friends is in syndication for an hour or two every day on TBS right before Seinfeld.

Cipherr

A million an ep for the main 3 for the next 72 episodes and the talks of a possible season 11?

Ca-Ching man, jesus.

The main three actors will never have to work again in their lives with the syndication money rolling in.

it showed when they weren't at comic con.

They are not real nerds

and the CSI actors aren't real detectives.

How much is Melissa Rauch making? I would like to see her broaden her acting career on HBO or Stars.

did you mention these two networks because it increases the odds that she get naked? Because if so I agree.

tmarques

How much is Melissa Rauch making? I would like to see her broaden her acting career on HBO or Stars.

I was wondering that. She along with the guy who plays her husband and Blossom are IMO the best actors of the lot.

If I were Cuoco I wouldn't get too greedy. I'm sure the show would be just fine if her character suddenly decided to try her luck on Broadway and was never heard from again.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I've never watched a full episode but the actor who plays Sheldon is 41?!

It's basically the Sheldon Show, so who gives a fuck? You're making $1m+ an episode, suck it up and let Parsons get his greed on.

Raj and Howard getting paid less is pretty dumb. Same for Rauch. The screentime works out nicely between the six of them.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
and the CSI actors aren't real detectives.

Yeah, but there's a difference between finding an actor to play a actual job that would take years of training and specialization (that would dissuade them from being an actor in the first place), and finding an actor who is into "nerd" hobbies.

Quixzlizx

Yeah, but there's a difference between finding an actor to play a actual job that would take years of training and specialization (that would dissuade them from being an actor in the first place), and finding an actor who is into "nerd" hobbies.

It would appear that finding actors that the audience enjoys is more important than finding actors who are familiar with the subject matter.

You find people that work on the show, regardless of their actual real life interest in "nerd hobbies".

Watch Da Birdie

It would appear that finding actors that the audience enjoys is more important than finding actors who are familiar with the subject matter.

Perhaps, but I imagine there are plenty of actors out there who'd probably be able to deliver a more nuanced portrayal. I don't see why you can't have both.

With the record breaking syndication deal, they should fight for a raise.

Also the show is much better than Friends, regardless of the season.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
They deserve the raise, although it's a bit jammy for Parsons to seek more but him being the lead and the award winning talent it doesn't surprise me.

As someone else did a rating
Sheldon>Amy>Penny>>>Leonard>Bernadette>Howard>>>Raj
I'm interested to see what Amy and Bernadette get paid

Ogni-XR21

A bit of insight into their current pay deals

Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting reportedly are aiming to increase their per-episode salary from north of $300,000 (plus a quarter-of-a-point on the back end) to possibly a cool million, while Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar (currently fetching $125 and $75K per episode, respectively) also are seeking sizable raises

Seems like Helberg and Nayyar are getting hosed, especially if they don't have a percentage on the backend which for this show should be pretty lucrative.

Helberg and Nayyar are indeed getting hosed. I was expecting them to not make as much but not even half, or in Nayyars case just a fourth is really bad.

I always found it great reading about the cast of Friends and how they went with the all for one, one for all approach.

Watch Da Birdie

The actress who plays Amy is a Neuroscientist in real life.

Oh yeah.

Interestingly enough, in an early episode before Amy was introduced, they even mention this fact. It's pretty weird looking back and having them reference "The Star of Blossom" who later came onto the show as a different character.

jtb

Banned
Parsons deserves more, the rest of the cast (especially the other two leads) are easily replaceable, couldn't pick out of a lineup of one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom