• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Bang Theory is choosing between PS4 and XB1 #BOVESPA #DODONGO #BOJANGLES

Eh, I think it's funny at times. I think the main problem a lot of gamers have about the show (other than the whole, it's popular and therefore I must hate it to show how superior I am) is that it's a sitcom and doesn't aspire to be anything other than a sitcom. It's not IT Crowd or Community or Parks & Rec, but it's a decent time waster and sometimes that's all you want. Plus Mayim Bialik is funny (and the only actor or actress on the show who actually knows what they're talking about when they get technical).

Now if you want to see a truly horrible sitcom about "gamers" try watching Dads (a sitcom about two game developers and their annoying fathers). Compared to that, even the bad episodes of Big Bang Theory are comedy gold.

R-User!

They will pick Xbox One and then Penny will come in and dump nail polish on it and destroy it and she will go DONT WORRY GUYS I GOT A PS4 FROM SOME GUY

and then they will laugh

And

Then

They

Will

Laugh

don't know why but that made me laugh; probably my dry humor meter getting ticked up a notch.

bootski

wow i didn't know that BBT was hated on so much. it's definitely my favorite comedy out except for maybe parks and rec. i get that it's an exaggeration of pretty much all the kind of worn out nerd stereotypes but i still find it to be really good. this episode, not so much.

they don't actually ever choose anything. he almost picks the xbox one but doesn't.
they do mention the wii u but the wii u is the butt of the joke

AwShucks

I like BBT and overall I liked the episode BUT I think the representation of gamers was more awful than usual in this episode.

I kind of feel that this episode they screwed up.

There is no way sheldon would even have to think about what console to pick.
The logical and only choice is PS4.

He is comparing computer power and he would know that the PS4 is the strongest with a large margin.

sad that these tv shows cant just pick one winner.

Toxi

Banned
I kind of feel that this episode they screwed up.

There is no way sheldon would even have to think about what console to pick.
The logical and only choice is PS4.

He is comparing computer power and he would know that the PS4 is the strongest with a large margin.

sad that these tv shows cant just pick one winner.
Wouldn't it be most logical for him to spend exorbitant amounts of money building an absurdly powerful rig then?

FranXico

They'll choose the manufacturer who pays the most for product placement.

The choice of console, however, is not going to save the show.

I don't find it hard to believe that regular watchers find BBT funny. Any comedy will have at least one funny joke. I'm regularly exposed to awful tween comedies like Austin and Ally, Jesse, Dog with a Blog, etc., and as execrable as they are, I'll sometimes laugh and immediately feel ashamed. The laughs come easier as you come to know the characters. And I can see the nerd/geek/gamer demographic enjoying jokes about familiar territory.

Conditioning. I didn't realize how pervasive it was until I stopped watching TV for a few years, came back and watched some of the shows and tried to figure out what on earth was I laughing at.

What I can't believe is a studio audience plucked from random Hollywood tourists finding references to Windows 7 uproariously funny. They may film in front of a live audience, and I'm sure they laugh at the jokes (laughter is contagious), but they also have professional laughers planted in the audience and they surely add some in post, because every single joke gets a huge laugh.

If you actually go to some of the shows it is one of two things. It is either laughter/applause cues during the show or it is recorded after then added in later.

And I seriously mean while nothing is going, they ask you to laugh several times and then they record that.

Meier

My wife made fun of me since I bought the HD-DVD player for the 360 and had a Zune. :(

The show isn't good by any means, but it's inoffensive enough that we'll spend the 22 minutes or so watching it every week. I think it and Elementary are the only shows on CBS we watch. Oh and Survivor, she watches that OnDemand.

Dai101

Banned
I knew it!!

I knew this would be the reaction for that episode. Ah, love so much how little takes to get you guys so mad about something.

Vladmiris

Do you people that like it actually find it funny? Like do you laugh out loud?

I don't laugh out loud, but I enjoy the show as more of a passive experience...I turn my brain off and let the jokes and laughter roll over me. It is not my favorite show, not by a mile, but I don't think it is that bad.

meijiko

I can assure you I'm sitting quite calmly in an office chair.

In person, I would calmly tell you that the show is poorly written, lazy, has unlikable characters and a suspect studio audience.

See, no one thinks you aren't entitled to your opinion. You are. And it's certainly a valid one that many people share.

Where this turns absurd, though, is the disproportionate amount of people who feel that this show is so objectively unfunny that they go so far as to believe that anyone who genuinely enjoys the show is somehow beneath them. They have such a strong hatred for this show that, whenever it is mentioned, they feel the need to put words to their hatred, parroting the same arguments they've heard across the internet over and over. It implies that the show has offended them personally, and it's frankly hilarious.

Actual fans of the show, myself included, generally don't have any qualms with admitting that it's not the funniest around. But the great thing about media is that it doesn't have to be. There's room for people to enjoy The Big Bang Theory, along with all the other great comedy shows like Parks and Rec, Veep, Curb, Arrested Development, or whatever else. Its popularity doesn't actually hurt anyone.

Fularu

Banned
I can assure you I'm sitting quite calmly in an office chair.

In person, I would calmly tell you that the show is poorly written, lazy, has unlikable characters and a suspect studio audience.
No

In person you would be working instead of wasting time on the internet arguing about a show you don't like (and probably don't watch) on a forum.

Dai101

Banned
Do you people that like it actually find it funny? Like do you laugh out loud?

Yes and YES. Specially since i know some of the jokes and situations (like yesterday) will stir someone and because people that act like Sheldon, in this very forum.

Bold One

Penny is smoking hot and the show is funny.

I don't get the hate

things like this are usually subjective, but I am forced to put my foot down, it's nice that you enjoy it but this show is not funny, its a poorly written, lazy mess that throws canned laughter at you as a thin veil to coerce you into thinking a joke has just been made.

People have this vandetta against. I don't like it, but I feel some people are expecting too much from a mainstream, prime time sitcom.

things like this are usually subjective, but I am forced to put my foot down, it's nice that you enjoy it but this show is not funny, its a poorly written, lazy mess that throws canned laughter at you as a thin veil to coerce you into thinking a joke has just been made.
It absolutely is subjective. I find it funny, a lot of my friends do too.

Gaf does not, apparently.

TehOh

I used to sort of like BBT, then got pretty damn sick of it. I still can't resist posting this comic:

xK9jhHL.jpg

meijiko

The strength of your disdain does not remove the subjectivity of humor.

fasTRapid

Banned
I really don't get the Big Bang Theory hate and the praise for IT crowd, when the IT crowd is much, much worse with their image of absolute dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb freaks living in the basement. I actually watched the first few episodes today because I read how good it was and it's so bad I couldn't even get through an entire episode. It's like so dumb. Damn!

See, no one thinks you aren't entitled to your opinion. You are. And it's certainly a valid one that many people share.

Where this turns absurd, though, is the disproportionate amount of people who feel that this show is so objectively unfunny that they go so far as to believe that anyone who genuinely enjoys the show is somehow beneath them. They have such a strong hatred for this show that, whenever it is mentioned, they feel the need to put words to their hatred, parroting the same arguments they've heard across the internet over and over. It implies that the show has offended them personally, and it's frankly hilarious.

Actual fans of the show, myself included, generally don't have any qualms with admitting that it's not the funniest around. But the great thing about media is that it doesn't have to be. There's room for people to enjoy The Big Bang Theory, along with all the other great comedy shows like Parks and Rec, Veep, Curb, Arrested Development, or whatever else. Its popularity doesn't actually hurt anyone.
I certainly agree no one should be looked down on because they enjoy the show. I mean, I like professional wrestling for goodness sake.

The thing is, I know wrestling is stupid. More often than not, it can be cringe-worthy. So when someone says that wrestling is stupid, I usually say "I know, but it's fun!"

For whatever reason BBT fans seem to be more touchy than others. I'm sure it gets old seeing criticism every time the show is mentioned around here, but it kinda comes with the territory (Unless someone is flying off the handle like "LOL YOUR RETARDED IF YOU LIKE BBT).

There are shows that I don't like, but I can see how they would appeal to people (Friends for example). Then there are shows that I see absolutely no appeal to and BBT is one of them. But again, I'm not judging the person who enjoys it, just the show.

Applebite

In order to understand the disdain towards TBBT, you need to understand where it's coming from.

Originally, you couldn't see this "outrage" anywhere other than on the internet, and I feel like it originated from people that were passionate about much more (subjectively) well written "nerd" shows, such as Community, the IT Crowd or whathaveyou. This tumblr post (I know, I know, it's tumblr, but it's a good read) accurately sums up how a lot of people feel about the show. In short, TBBT is a really popular and fairly dumbed down show that's more about pointing and laughing at "nerd culture" (I know, I hate that term too), whereas shows like Community embrace and appreciate that said crowd of people and is (once again, subjectively) more well written. The reason these people are criticizing TBBT is because they're incredibly passionate about their medium of choice, and so being expressive in relation to how you feel about the way one show is performing in comparison to another is, well, pretty natural.

However, as with a lot of things on the internet, the criticism was more or less turned into the "BOJANGLES, ZIMBABWE, ZOIDBERG" meme I'm sure we've all seen by now. And, as we all know, whenever anything becomes a meme, it's repeated by pretty much everyone who gets a laugh out of it, which subsequently leads to the tired "LOL TBBT SUX" mentality.

I'm a big fan of Community, but since I have no interest in TBBT, I see no reason to dedicate time to explain how it's "destroying TV and nerd culture as we know it". It exists, some people enjoy it, and that's fine by me.

Toadette

Banned
TBBT only show that makes me laugh out loud

that wii joke with Bernadette was damm funny

but the episode got alot of nintendo in the background at the store

Leatherface

In order to understand the disdain towards TBBT, you need to understand where it's coming from.

Originally, you couldn't see this "outrage" anywhere other than on the internet, and I feel like it originated from people that were passionate about much more (subjectively) well written "nerd" shows, such as Community, the IT Crowd or whathaveyou. This tumblr post (I know, I know, it's tumblr, but it's a good read) accurately sums up how a lot of people feel about the show. In short, TBBT is a really popular and fairly dumbed down show that's more about pointing and laughing at "nerd culture" (I know, I hate that term too), whereas shows like Community embrace and appreciate that said crowd of people and is (once again, subjectively) more well written. The reason these people are criticizing TBBT is because they're incredibly passionate about their medium of choice, and so being expressive in relation to how you feel about the way one show is performing in comparison to another is, well, pretty natural.

However, as with a lot of things on the internet, the criticism was more or less turned into the "BOJANGLES, ZIMBABWE, ZOIDBERG" meme I'm sure we've all seen by now. And, as we all know, whenever anything becomes a meme, it's repeated by pretty much everyone who gets a laugh out of it, which subsequently leads to the tired "LOL TBBT SUX" mentality.

I'm a big fan of Community, but since I have no interest in TBBT, I see no reason to dedicate time to explain how it's "destroying TV and nerd culture as we know it". It exists, some people enjoy it, and that's fine by me.

I'm a huge nerd and I love TBBT. If people would stop focusing on picking apart the show to find and spotlight everything that can be viewed in a negative slant, you'd see that the characters are all very charming and endearing. That same stuff that the internet seems to be getting offended over (because fun is being poked at the characters and their quirkiness) is also what we love them for because it's very charming and relate-able to us all in some degree. go figure.

Guri

I like both Community and The Big Bang Theory. If I had to choose one, it'd be Community, but only because I like its humour style more. But that goes with every series from Chuck Lorre. I don't see any problem with TBBT making fun of anything we like. I see it more as a "lighten the mood" kind of thing. I don't take it seriously and I don't think the writers also do. It's a way to forget for 20 minutes everything I was doing. And I think the series got better after it clearly changed. I can see why you guys don't like it. But it doesn't bother me. It doesn't change who I am.

GamerJM

Banned
One of my professors showed us a clip from this episode today after saying it was his "favorite show" and just "really hilarious".

Fuck him. That was some of the unfunniest shit.

Top Bottom