• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac 3DS REJECTED [Up: Now looking into Sony Platforms]

Ridley327

The PC retail version is not even PEGI 18, just 16. But the contents of the game are probably a different thing for the US market. The whole sex/religious thing.

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is a really good example of this; in its uncut form, it's PEGI 16 on all platforms, but AO in the US and only on the PC.

Kusagari

I hear what basically damned it is based upon various criteria, it would have received an AO rating from the ESRB.

This is what I thought. I don't think it was Nintendo themselves. I wonder if Nintendo inquired about it to the ESRB and were basically told "no way that isn't getting a fucking AO rating".

ZenaxPure

It's also more controversial and more likely to get his name on the blogs. Probably.

Would it really have gotten an AO rating?

Yes, people not understanding why it will probably never come to consoles probably haven't played it. I mean yes the character sprite is some cute kid but it's still a game about a naked kid who cries/pees on demons while also "powering himself up" by shoving nails and clothes hangers through his head (with bloody wounds to boot) and hanging himself. In addition the final boss is literally
Satan
and the opening cutscene has the voice of God telling a parent to kill her son to prove her loyalty to him.

Any of that also eclipsed by the fact one of the enemies is a walking vagina that shoots literal streams of blood at you. That would probably earn it an AO rating on it's own.

Honestly I love the game but I think it's pretty realistic to accept it will probably never come out anywhere besides pc.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hardly surprising. It's a good game, but it's very clearly trying to make a mockery of religion. It's an extremely loaded request to ask a publicly-traded company to put their stamp of approval on something like that. Whose door is trouble going to come pounding on if Fox or whoever latches onto it? The little developer beholden to nobody, or the big name that grabs headlines and whose stock can be sold away in righteous indignation?

zroid

Banned
Yeah, as much as I would have liked this game on the eShop, anyone who thought this stood a chance on anything other than PC was deluding themselves. I wouldn't be so quick to accuse Nintendo of being too controlling; I strongly doubt Microsoft or Sony would have allowed this game on their platforms either.

Zekes!

Walking in to this thread is like walking in to a wall of stupid. Some of these posts are ridiculously idiotic.

People will jump at any chance to bash Nintendo, eh?

The Binding of Isaac is a great game, but I'm not at all surprise by this.

Can anyone tell me if there's any M rated games on the 3DS eshop?

Ridley327

Walking in to this thread is like walking in to a wall of stupid. Some of these posts are ridiculously idiotic.

People will jump at any chance to bash Nintendo, eh?

The Binding of Isaac is a great game, but I'm not at all surprise by this.

Can anyone tell me if there's any M rated games on the 3DS eshop?

I don't think that there's any M-rated games on the eShop currently, but Nintendo has no problems advertising M-rated games on the eShop, as evidenced by the showcase spots they allotted for Resident Evil: Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3D, making their demos the first thing you saw when you boot the store up in their weeks of release.

Dragon

Banned
I'm glad Square decided to support the PS1. Nintendo would have never allowed Xenogears.

Which contained nudity and religious nonsense :).

Yes, people not understanding why it will probably never come to consoles probably haven't played it. I mean yes the character sprite is some cute kid but it's still a game about a naked kid who cries/pees on demons while also "powering himself up" by shoving nails and clothes hangers through his head (with bloody wounds to boot) and hanging himself. In addition the final boss is literally
Satan
and the opening cutscene has the voice of God telling a parent to kill her son to prove her loyalty to him.

Any of that also eclipsed by the fact one of the enemies is a walking vagina that shoots literal streams of blood at you. That would probably earn it an AO rating on it's own.

Honestly I love the game but I think it's pretty realistic to accept it will probably never come out anywhere besides pc.

Dude Nintendo allowed the Bible to be on the original gameboy. The Abraham Isaac story I assume was included :).

I'm kidding really :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nintendo has no problems with M rated games and this has been proven time and time again. Have we already forgotten about Manhunt 2? And as mentioned RE Revelations is getting some Nintendo pimping.

I think it's potentially-AO games Nintendo is wary of, but then again so are Microsoft and Sony.

ACoH isn't likely to draw accusations of blasphemy and it doesn't depict threats of infanticide, commanded by God... Can you imagine the kind of negative PR pro life twats in America would kick up when they realised kid-friendly Nintendo was allowing such content?

It's not like the 90s censorship people have referenced at all. This is a deliberately provocative title, in the same way that titles like the original Postal were provocative.

I still would have liked them to allow it, and fall back on the parental controls as a defence, but I am not at all surprised and don't particularly blame Nintendo. I blame the stupid people they're worried about offending.

It's a crazy zealot woman who belives god asked her to kill his son, instead of god if could have been his dead dad voice, his dead husband voice or aliens voices. It's not an actual take on religion or criticism.

Also, it's a common plot device in movies and TV and using it as a reason to censor a game on it it's back tracking twenty years when Nintendo censored christian cross and other religious symbols on game.

There's a reason why ESRB rattings exists and is the kinda thing could only happen on Nintendo.

It's a crazy zealot woman who belives god asked her to kill his son, instead of god if could have been his dead dad voice, his dead husband voice or aliens voices. It's not an actual take on religion or criticism.

Also, it's a common plot device in movies and TV and using it as a reason to censor a game on it it's back tracking twenty years when Nintendo censored christian cross and other religious symbols on game.

There's a reason why ESRB rattings exists and is the kinda thing could only happen on Nintendo.

It absolutely isn't. Ridiculous.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Really not surprising. IMO the game is more disturbing than pretty much any M-rated game I've played.

JJD

That's a damn shame. The game would be perfect for a handheld. I've got the steam version but I just can't play it with the keyboard...why joystick support is not offered Team Meat???

Cipherr

Since when are Nintendo handhelds desperate for 3rd party support? Alot of people seem to be hinging their argument on that, but that hasn't ever been true.

Ever.

Nabs

That's a damn shame. The game would be perfect for a handheld. I've got the steam version but I just can't play it with the keyboard...why joystick support is not offered Team Meat???

It's flash, so you have to use a workaround like JoyToKey or Xpadder. It'll take 20 seconds to set up. Also, it's not Team Meat. If Tommy had worked on the game, you'd probably have your controller support.

Brinbe

Booooo, c'mon Nintendo.

And yes, jump on this, Sony. Vita would be a great platform for this, especially with the twin sticks.

And the standard Nintendo used in this case is very stupid.

I'm not disagreeing with that--I feel the game would be a great addition to the eShop.

Approving something like this for release (in the US) could potentially hurt their brand--huge risk, little to no pay-off. You pointed out this is something we'd only see happen on Nintendo consoles. That sentiment is bullshit and you know it.

lol @ people wanting this on other consoles. It's not happening. You may be waiting with open arms--the platform holder isn't. It's PC or bust if you want to play this.

Vita to the rescue?
Yeah. No.

Kusagari

The fact is there's no way this game would not get an AO rating from the ESRB.

So, stop blaming this on Nintendo. None of the big 3 allow AO games.

Relax.MX

I hope you're just trolling and are actually smarter than this.

I dont want to offend anyone(and not change the subject so it will be my last post about this), is just what I think: ¿no indi games? ¿no real online? ¿no AAA of 3 partys? etc.

Nintendo consoles are great but this case(Isaac) is just one of a lot of things that make the others consoles and PC master race just necessary...

But bah..I sound like console nerd...im happy with my PC i dont care about this...im gonna play Isaac right now XO

I don't think Sony has any religious problems especially when their own AAA title is based on killing Gods...

This is so. SO completely different.

If it were a matter of simple religious themes, this wouldn't be a problem. (Devil Survivor)

This thread's banner adds are for Liberty University for me. What the fuck?

imgad.jpg

Chopper

I didn't know anything about this game until hearing this news, and having a look at what it's all about thanks to Google.

And people are surprised by this news? Blimey.

I'm glad Square decided to support the PS1. Nintendo would have never allowed Xenogears.

Which contained nudity and religious nonsense :).
For as long as Sony's had a console, they've had stricter content guidelines than Nintendo. Same with Microsoft and Apple actually... for closed gaming devices, Nintendo is the most lenient.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Very much it does. *arms wide open*

KuGsj.gif
If Binding of Isaac gets released on any console I'll stop posting on GAF for a month, if it's the Vita, three months.

I was going to post "eat my hat" but I don't have any hats to eat. Not because I've eaten them before now due to other bets, but just because I'm not a hat person.

fernoca

And lets not forget the whole debacle with Manhunt 2. The censorship, the court appeals, the leak of the uncensored version which caused a Sony employee to be fired and the removal of said leak from Direct2Drive.

Or how Microsoft and Sony has recalled games because of religious/islamic chants (Little Big Planet, Kakuto Chojin) in the past.
Heck, Sony rejected BMX XXX back then because of boobs and ass; while the game was allowed like that on the GameCube. Granted, is not like the game was good anyway. :p

People act as "lol Nintendo" when in reality it's all of them. They're just covering their bases, even more when religion is involved.

And lets not forget the whole debacle with Manhunt 2. The censorship, the court appeals, the leak of the uncensored version which caused a Sony employee to be fired and the removal of said leak from Direct2Drive.

Or how Microsoft and Sony has recalled games because of religious/islamic chants (Little Big Planet, Kakuto Chojin) in the past.
Heck, Sony rejected BMX XXX back then because of boobs and ass; while the game was allowed like that on the GameCube. Granted, is not like the game was good anyway. :p

People act as "lol Nintendo" when in reality it's all of them. They're just covering their bases, even more when religion is involved.

Oh please! We all know Nintendo has its own "Seal of Quality" and doesn't follow ESRB rating system!! [/Sarcasm]

But yeah, it really sucks that this game most likely won't be released anywhere but PC.

fernoca

Oh please! We all know Nintendo has its own "Seal of Quality" and doesn't follow ESRB rating system!! [/Sarcasm]

But yeah, it really sucks that this game most likely won't be released anywhere but PC.
Heheh..
I'd say that it wouldn't surprise if the game does appear (in some way or the other) in other platforms/consoles; even more with this and upcoming generation which seems to be a race of who can get more digital and exclusive content on their platforms.

Top Bottom