• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

fireflame

I only own the original old Binding of Isaac. I am not sure which version of the game is the best, which is the easiest(because although i beat satan, i found the game really hard sometimes), so in the end, which version will be the most memorable, the original, afterbirth, afterbirth+?

Lucifon

Switch puts them all under one roof. You literally choose the profile you want use only AFTER selecting a game.

Easy to access but not under one roof. If I've got accounts lying about all over the place it doesn't feel like I have one set location for all my games.

Zemm

I just can't bring myself to create a seperate account to buy this. I hate doing it on PS3/PS4. When all my games are under one roof it feels like my collection. When they start being spread across different accounts it doesn't feel like I own it. Almost a throwaway purchase.

It's a bit annoying but at least you can play everything on one account without having to switch.

Catabu

Neo Member
So I played a bit of this yesterday. First time playing The Binding of Isaac and just had a quick question which I hope someone could answer.

When you get a new item is there anyway for you to figure out what it does? I saw them in my list but it has the same description as when I pick it up.

Thanks!

Half the fun is figuring out what each items does.

If you wanna look up items, I'd recommend Platinumgod.co.uk

Okada

Easy to access but not under one roof. If I've got accounts lying about all over the place it doesn't feel like I have one set location for all my games.

I'm the same. I just switched to the US store and have left it there until I feel the need to come back to the UK one.

If that time ever comes, I'll just contact support and ask them to remove the extra $0.01 I might have laying around so I can switch back.

ToTi

I've just had my best run so far! Tech X is op. For some reason in the last floor I was finding red chests in almost every room! And I killed mom for the first time. I also managed to unlock 2 characters, loads of challenges and more things I didn't even understand.

Never played a version of this game. I keep on hearing people talk about runs? Is their an ending to this game or is it like high score runs?

One piece of advice for any new players is go into options and turn on the found hud, this shows your stats and helps you realize which pickups are actually helpful.

Trying to get the Nintendo eshop cards from Amazon USA and I'll need to make a whole new account it seems.

Is there anywhere else you can get them from in the UK that are legitimate sites?

Nosgotham

Just did my first run. Died at the last level. No idea what most of the stuff I'm picking up does but I had a lot of fun. I can see myself playing this daily for a while.

krumble

Don't just switch region guys, make a separate US account, it's quick and easy and you don't run into problems switching between regions on a single account this way.

Then buy eshop credit from Amazon.

I did this whole process last night to buy the game and it took me 5 minutes max. Buying games from the US store in future will be even quicker because the account is setup.

That's exactly what I did - works the same as on Sony consoles for different accounts / regions

I'm playing all my Japanese demos, US purchases and UK purchases all under my UK account after purchase

PS3 & 4 I have the same setup - have done for years

ToTi

Omg I actually managed to kill
the heart
but we died together so I couldn't manage to
open the big chest that spawned...

By the way, the game battery usage in handheld mode is really low!

dickroach

I only own the original old Binding of Isaac. I am not sure which version of the game is the best, which is the easiest(because although i beat satan, i found the game really hard sometimes), so in the end, which version will be the most memorable, the original, afterbirth, afterbirth+?

on the Switch, all you're getting is Afterbirth +
the game is really hard sometimes. you can play the game for 1000 hours and it's still really hard sometimes.

RedRumy3

My amazon order is showing shipping today instead of the 20th I really hope I get the manual, stickers, and alternate cover as well or else I am gonna be so mad. I preordered it 2 weeks ago =/

Okay cool. But there's no specific way to trigger them right? At least I didn't come across any way, button wise (besides bombs)

The vast majority of items in the game have passive effects (eg, giving your tears a chance of having a certain effect) and don't require activation.
Only bombs, pills, cards, and active items (ones that you see in the top left corner of your screen, usually with a green charge) need to be manually activated.

Watching a bunch of people who never played Isaac before slowly start to experience it is pretty amusing in it's own right. Welp, back to trying to get this stupid Daily Achievement. *starts up his 600 hour file of Isaac*

Magwik

Banned
Okay cool. But there's no specific way to trigger them right? At least I didn't come across any way, button wise (besides bombs)

So:
L: Use bombs
R: Use cards/pills
ZL: Use active item (top left corner, has battery charge)
ZR: swap cards/pills and drop all held items (except for active)

Passive items are picked up and added to your character. A better way to get a look at this is to go into options and enable Extra HUD. If you want an idea of what the item itself is doing, turn on Found HUD in the options menu.
This is the FoundHUD (minus the color)
1.jpg

Top to bottom:
  • Speed
  • Range
  • Tears (shots per second or whichever interval is used)
  • Shot speed (how fast they travel across the room)
  • Attack (damage)
  • Luck (used form consumable drops and misc)
  • Chance for a Devil Deal (devil and angel deals are rooms that appear after killing the floor boss and can also be accessed through a Joker card or various teleport items)
  • Chance for an Angel Deal

LordRaptor

Items are split into:
- passive (always active)
- active (your top left icon)
- consumables (pills, bombs, keys, cards - bombs have their own button, keys are used automatically unlocking things, cards and pills share the same button to activate)
- trinkets (like passives, but only apply effect while held, will swap to a different trinket by running over one except for the tick)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Played this until my battery ran low, docked it, then continued on my TV. The Switch dream finally happened for me. (I've only played 10 minutes of Zelda). I love this system.

Ordered ecards from playasia... Still hasn't turned up yet..

Sigh of all the luck

It says "preparing order" I am unsure with buying ecards this way. Does it change to order shipped when the code gets sent

Toki1776

Got really lucky on my first run. First treasure room had quad shot, second floor had contacts and the Ludovico technique.
Oh yeah, got Pyro and skeleton key, too.

mothball

What is the word on framerate?

Did three runs and haven't seen a drop below 60 so far.

Not sure whether it's because the system is bigger or because of the asymmetrical sticks but it doesn't quite feel as comfy as playing on Vita. At least all the Afterbirth stuff is new for me.

Kinsei

Banned
What is the word on framerate?

It's decent but there are quite a few drops. Certain item synergies like Brimstone x Tammy's Head slow down the game, fighting Mom's Heart/It Lives with a Retro Vision pill active will tank the framerate while the console is docked, and full screen effects like butt bombs will tank the game when combined with large enemies like Mom's foot or Daddy Long Legs will also slow the game down.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So dudes, a few questions;

I was going through the menus trying to find the multiplayer option for my daughter and I but I couldn't find it anywhere. Am I missing something?

Further, is there a particularly great video out there that you guys heartily recommend? I think over the morning I've gotten better and have gotten several levels in, but there's definitely stuff I'm not understanding. A primer, ideally for the newer versions, would be awesome.

Edit: I've been playing in portable mode and the frame rate is rock solid and I've run into no troubles whatsoever.

Very fun game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ugh...why can't I grasp how things work? Feel so slow/stupid. How are my European brothers and sisters able to buy eShop cards? People made it sound like it was super easy...

So I set up my new Nintendo account, picked US region.

Tried using EU CC (as corroborated by others) didn't work.

Created amazon account, they noticed I was trying to purchase from South Africa = nogo.

Sorted out VPN solution. Went through purchase process using US residential details. Reached a point where I was told to wait 2h for some verificaton process (no funds deducted from my CC yet...) but of course I'm extremely sceptical that I/my purchase will pass.

So I ask again, how on earth am I supposed to buy US eShop credits? #sad...

DSmalls84

What is the difference between normal, hard and greed? Do I need to play certain modes for unlocks. So far beat Mom once on normal. Great game and along with shovel knight it is keeping me glued to my switch.

LordRaptor

I was going through the menus trying to find the multiplayer option for my daughter and I but I couldn't find it anywhere. Am I missing something?

Multiplayer isn't... great... and I don't have the switch version yet, but if you press start on a second controller during singleplayer it should take a heart and spawn a co-op controlled baby.

Its better to let the 'worse' player play as isaac with the better player taking the baby, so Isaac gets all the powerups etc and youre just offering fire support.
Its a lot more 'co-op' than most co-op games are, in that the second player is just there to help player 1 out

e:
What is the difference between normal, hard and greed? Do I need to play certain modes for unlocks. So far beat Mom once on normal. Great game and along with shovel knight it is keeping me glued to my switch.

Normal and hard are the regular game modes, but hard has less drops and tougher enemies.
Greed mode is its own thing, its sort of like a wave based arena

Kinsei

Banned

You do need to play hard mode to unlock stuff. You need to complete every characters post it note on hard in order to get all of the items.

I got Isaac on 3DS when it launched and couldn't get into it. But I preordered this for Switch to give it a second chance, and holy hell this is the first game in three weeks to pull me away from BotW. I have a new addiction it seems lol

archvile7

Watching a bunch of people who never played Isaac before slowly start to experience it is pretty amusing in it's own right. Welp, back to trying to get this stupid Daily Achievement. *starts up his 600 hour file of Isaac*

There's achievements? Or are they just in-game.

Played this for the first time yesterday, the runs are so much more unstable/finicky than Enter the Gungeon.

My first run I steamrolled and got to the 4th floor (And even unlocked Azazel) only to die because I didnt know an item I used would take my last heart. Runs after that I could barely get to the 2nd or 3rd floor.

Either way I love this game, glad I went digital for it.

Seik

Banned
Anyone else's shrink wrap incredibly loose/crappy? Or did best buy screw me somehow?

I bought my Bomberman copy at BB and it seemed 're-wrapped' in a similar plastic.

Every time I buy from BB and the game is wrapped in that shit, the plastic on the box is all 'warpy' once I unwrap it and doesn't look new at all, Bomberman included.

CaLe

Something I don't understand... Aren't the levels supposed to be randomized ? Every time I die I end up in the same room configuration, just with different items or enemies combination.

Top Bottom