• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

Make sure you get signed up for my nintendo. Birthday coupon.

Birthday Coupon only has 3DS and WiiU games, unfortunately. (Unless they JUST changed this, but when I got the coupon on the 1st it was only a small assortment of 1st party 3DS/WiiU games that it actually covered.)

So, I have pretty limited experience with Isaac, but I've had this pre-ordered since it was announced. When you die, you lose everything and start from scratch, right? If so, how to people end up surviving long enough to get those shit-kicking powerups? When I played briefly in the past, I never had much luck. I also suck pretty bad at the game :p
Sometimes you get lucky early drop combos. Also there are a lot of best practices you learn over time that will maximize your runs even without great ability drops.

Jerm411

Cannot wait...game is hella addicting a ton of fun to play. Got it pre-ordered, gonna be a long wait on Friday.

Perfect for the Switch.

Jerm411

why? what about gameplay, structure, difficulty level... what makes it good?

All of that plus it has that addicting "one more run" factor that a lot of rougelikes have...it's seriously hard to put down once you start playing and getting the hang of it.

Saiyan-Rox

Can't believe there's still no word on EU release. This needs to hit the eShop alongside the US. Don't want to mess about switching regions and buying credit. I have credit on my account ready in the UK shop.

Same here I really want to know if this will release on the same day on the Eshop at least I don't care about downloading it since I was forced to buy a digital copy of Zelda.

I've tweeted at them but no reply and I guess no news or mention isn't a good thing :( wonder if I should just import it...but it's probably OOS already everywhere.

TankRizzo

Banned
is it sold out physically?

Same here I really want to know if this will release on the same day on the Eshop at least I don't care about downloading it since I was forced to buy a digital copy of Zelda.

I've tweeted at them but no reply and I guess no news or mention isn't a good thing :( wonder if I should just import it...but it's probably OOS already everywhere.

it's going to be released at the same time.

packy34

So, I have pretty limited experience with Isaac, but I've had this pre-ordered since it was announced. When you die, you lose everything and start from scratch, right? If so, how to people end up surviving long enough to get those shit-kicking powerups? When I played briefly in the past, I never had much luck. I also suck pretty bad at the game :p

Most of it is practice. You learn enemy patterns over time and eventually become good enough to last deep into runs even if you don't get great items.

But sometimes you get Mom's Knife on the first floor and everything just dies.

Evilmaus

Really looking forward to this. Will be a great addition to the Switch library.

Played a bunch of the original on Vita and it was a blast, so I can only imagine what it's like with all the additional content in this version!

ViolentP

As time progresses, you unlock items for accomplishing certain things. These open up the availability of the items for subsequent runs. Basically, you are increasing your potential arsenal the more you play.

So this is confirmed to have 4 player coop right?

Here's a picture of the back of the case that confirms 1-4 players:

bBZJsNQ.jpg

Been in my "going to buy" soon game on Vita for a long time but has never been on sale :p

What is the difference between the vita version and switch version? Not sure If I should buy the game now on Vita or wait some year Before I get a Switch

Either way definately buying the game love the genre

Saiyan-Rox

Been in my "going to buy" soon game on Vita for a long time but has never been on sale :p

What is the difference between the vita version and switch version? Not sure If I should buy the game now on Vita or wait some year Before I get a Switch

Either way definately buying the game love the genre

Switch version has all the current DLC vita doesn't have any (AFAIK)

Just FYI BoI co-op is a bit shit. One of you plays Idaac, the others are floating babies that can shoot and thats about it.

Can the babies die, are they just extra combat companions? That could be a good way to get my fiancé to play with me, if I'm the only one who really has to worry about not dying.

LordRaptor

Can the babies die, are they just extra combat companions? That could be a good way to get my fiancé to play with me, if I'm the only one who really has to worry about not dying.

Its a better idea to let the better player (which I'd guess is you from your post) play as the baby not as Isaac

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Welp, I guess I'm rebuying this on Switch.

Any reason why I should just stick to the normal version on PS4 (and getting the dlcs/expansions/whatever) over the Switch version?

Oh and does anyone know the size of the game? I'm in EU region so I guess I won't be able to get the physical version :[

I was able to pick up a copy yesterday here in NYC. Some pictures:

These are the default controls but you can customize them however you want:

The touch screen is used for the map, items and pills/cards.

Here are some screenshots from the game (being played in portable mode):

2017031406362100-1B7686315C6209EBBD25E3E11E89316C.jpg

2017031401070900-1B7686315C6209EBBD25E3E11E89316C.jpg

2017031407273100-1B7686315C6209EBBD25E3E11E89316C.jpg

I never put in a crazy amount of hours into this game. I think Rebirth was the last time I played so I don't know too much about all the items and whatnot but I do know it's an awesome game. Very fun and this was a definite purchase on the Switch.

I agree this seems better as a digital title but a physical release (with a manual!) for a game like this was too good to pass up.

From my 45 min or so playtime in portable mode, I haven't had any slowdown or any issues at all. Runs very smooth and looks great. I can't say how things will be once you get a combination of crazy items but I'm confident it'll be fine.

Playing on the TV is good as well. No complaints with that. Looks fine and runs smooth as well but I see myself spending the majority of my playtime on portable. That screen makes every game look beautiful.

I'm using a solo joy-con just to test it out. Not bad. They have it so that the L button would activate your item. I can see myself accidentally pressing it while playing so that may be the only issue but since you can configure controls, you can fix that. A single joy-con wouldn't be my first choice but that's in general with any game. Feels too cramped for me but it definitely works because of how simple the controls are.

Both joy-cons are how I play. I think the face buttons feel better in terms of shooting. Again, just a personal preference.

In terms of co-op, 2nd played would hit start on their control and choose from 5 different characters. Their faces are what sets them apart and each time you start a new game, there are different faces to choose from. You take 1 heart from the main character. If 2nd player dies, they turn into a big bomb and explode. You can jump right back in and take another heart if you want. If the main character has only 1 heart left, then you get only half a heart.

I can confirm that the only character unlocked from the start is Isaac.

There are daily challenges (which are up and running) and leaderboards for them, which you can sort by Global/Friends/Mine.

Like I said, I don't have too much experience with this game but from the few hours I have played I think it's awesome. Definitely a must buy.

How do bombs work with Solo Joy-Con?

ryushe

Didn't really care for this game when I played the original on PC, but then again, I didn't quite give it a chance when u originally played it.

Don't know whether or not I'll like it this time around, but I think I'll give it a shot.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i only played less than an hour of the original and bounced off it but everyone always talks about how addicting it is....

might have to dip in this wknd and give it a shot

thanks for your impressions, fellow nycer - glad to hear face work well for shooting as i think thats how ill play

I have afterbirth on PS4 but this is the most up to date version right? The afterbirth plus or whatever. That's not available on PS4 yet is it? Might get it on here. Love the game

LordRaptor

Didn't really care for this game when I played the original on PC, but then again, I didn't quite give it a chance when u originally played it.

i only played less than an hour of the original and bounced off it but everyone always talks about how addicting it is....

You sort of have to play through "to the end" at least once before it opens up enough to sort of see what the game actually is and get that gameplay loop going - you also start figuring stuff out through repeat runs as you naturally improve (like that every floor has 2 secret rooms, and where they likely are)

As far as co-op goes, on PC, one person controls Isaac and the other controls a "baby" which floats around the screen and fires a weak attack. The baby borrows hearts from you and can respawn after it dies.

For most Isaac players, it's not the ideal way to play it but it's a good way to get someone else into Isaac while you play as the baby and guide them along.

Another thing that should be noted, there was a fan mod called Antibirth released recently which had REAL co-op. Meaning, two Isaac characters at the same time. It was received very positively since it added the dimension of having to choose who gets which items and what the team strategy will be. It's incredibly fun and signs point to a similar concept being added to Afterbirth+ in the future. However, I don't know if the Switch will support any future mods/updates. It was said that other consoles will support some of the mods, but there's no real certainty yet.

Kinsei

Banned
As far as co-op goes, on PC, one person controls Isaac and the other controls a "baby" which floats around the screen and fires a weak attack. The baby borrows hearts from you and can respawn after it dies.

For most Isaac players, it's not the ideal way to play it but it's a good way to get someone else into Isaac while you play as the baby and guide them along.

Another thing that should be noted, there was a fan mod called Antibirth released recently which had REAL co-op. Meaning, two Isaac characters at the same time. It was received very positively since it added the dimension of having to choose who gets which items and what the team strategy will be. It's incredibly fun and signs point to a similar concept being added to Afterbirth+ in the future. However, I don't know if the Switch will support any future mods/updates. It was said that other consoles will support some of the mods, but there's no real certainty yet.

In a video Tyrone said that the monthly updates would come to consoles, just not as frequently due to the process of updating a game on consoles.

Deja

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I'm in the UK and we aren't getting a physical. Amazon US is sold out, how can I get my hands on this?

Berordn

I've sunk so many hours into so many versions of this game and I'm still contemplating picking it up again.

$40 is a little steep for a double dip, admittedly.

Top Bottom