• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Enzom21

I always knew Dan Schneider was creepy but having it all laid out like this... yikes.
https://twitter.com/soberloren/status/909176761325375488
dwPIawo.gif

zFpjX3E.png

You think misogyny and sexual harassment is going to kill a comic book movie? Especially when people are still high off Gal's WW?
Well remember he was losing interest in batman after all the drama gettin it off the ground, so this could be his out

Edit:what slayven said, also how da fuck did you get into my autocorrect?

When has an industry ever corrected itself, without outside intervention, against toxic business practices in a capitalist society? The only thing that would make loot boxes go away is if something came along that made them even more money. Voting with your wallet in this situation will do pretty much nothing in this situation. Whales make up the vast vast vast majority of the revenue gained through loot boxes/gacha systems. A few thousand people's $60 will do absolutely nothing when 10 mega whales can drop that much in a month, every month. We've also seen how reliable people are with voting with your wallet previously (MW2 protest). Loot boxes won't stop most people from buying a game they want, when they normalize it by saying "eh, doesn't really affect me/I can bypass it so whatever". Nothing is going to get better without laws preventing companies from doing shitty things.

Well the xbone was supposed to be mandatory online and no used games. The industry corrected that in response to consumer response. Markets react to dollars. Always have and always will. Just because I do not like something, doesn't mean it needs to be regulated. There are safeguards that prevent kids from buying loot boxes. Parents should use them. Whales and other individuals that are addicted to spending on frivolous things are issues that aren't going away. I recall speedy blue dude proudly stating how much he had spent on Halo loot boxes.

The day I have to buy loot boxes to enjoy a game, is the day I do not buy that game. And if that is what gaming becomes, fuck it. Gaming can burn

Hello and good evening, BCT. I was going to post like 249 pages back, but then my crippling self doubt goblin reared its head and didn't leave for the next 249 pages.

Where are you from? - Bronx, NY, NY
Where do you live? - Atlanta, GA
What is your age? - 27
Your cultural heritage, lineage, and genealogy: - Dunno. Dad's side, Black. Mom's side, Costa Rican
Do you know your roots: - Nope. I don't know anything past my parents/aunts/uncles. Dad is from Brooklyn, mom's side is from Costa Rica and Jamaica.
Favorite musical genre: - EDM right now.
Your profession/major/career interest: - Software Engineer
Your religious affiliation: - Really bad Christian
Hobbies: - Reading, Writing, Programming, Creating
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeyes, but them Bojangles sausage/egg/cheese biscuits tho.
Marvel or DC? - Don't read comics, but as far as CU goes, Marvel definitely
Favorite superhero? - Black Panther and Scarlet Witch are pretty cool.
Anime or Nah? - I guess, but haven't watched anything new in forever.
Favorite sport and team? - I don't really do sports.
What's your favorite Disney movie? - Lionkoanangledame
What's your favorite video game and genre? - Kingdom Hearts. RPGs in general.

Hope everyone's doing well. Someone in one of the BCT threads mentioned the Shattered Earth series by N. K. Jemisin and I've been hooked and reinspired ever since. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough for Black fantasy authors, and the fact that she secured the first Hugo for Black authors... AND the second? Whew.

Edit: Might not have been a BCT thread I dunno.

Johndoey

Banned
Hello and good evening, BCT. I was going to post like 249 pages back, but then my crippling self doubt goblin reared its head and didn't leave for the next 249 pages.

What is your age? - 27
Your cultural heritage, lineage, and genealogy: - Dunno. Dad's side, Black. Mom's side, Costa Rican
Do you know your roots: - Nope. I don't know anything past my parents/aunts/uncles. Dad is from Brooklyn, mom's side is from Costa Rica and Jamaica.
Hobbies: - Writing, Programming, Creating
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeyes, but them Bojangles sausage/egg/cheese biscuits tho.

Hope everyone's doing well.
Good to meet you.

And if you're looking for recent anime Pupa was interesting.

andthebeatgoeson

In light of recent events in US Soccer, I was always wondering why soccer doesn't have the "street culture" in the US that basketball has or that soccer has in Latin American countries. This article from last year from the Guardian seems to illuminate this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football

It basically admits that soccer over here is a middle-upper-class game, and that there is actually a ton of talent in inner city, immigrant communities that's going to waste because the families there can't afford to get in.

This isn't a subject I know a lot about at all, I don't even watch soccer. I was just wondering what would happen if all the culture and money that brings working class Americans into basketball and gridiron football could also bring them into soccer. Is the difference that the other established US sports are fully supported by the public school system?

Same reason football lags behind basketball in the cities. No green space or little of it. When i was in Philly, our playground was on the roof. Right next to a community college. Right next to row homes. 10 blocks from grass. Yeah, you can play in the streets but you can hoop anywhere.

You can hoop in your driveway or any paved surface.

I'm glad soccer is improving but soccer faces the same issues that baseball and football faced.

What is your age? - 27
Hobbies: - Writing, Programming, Creating

Hope everyone's doing well.

Mmhm them shits be bangin. I sometimes go to the one by my job before I go in to work. Why do only old white people be going in those places in the morning?

Faustek

Morning kin.

It basically admits that soccer over here is a middle-upper-class game, and that there is actually a ton of talent in inner city, immigrant communities that's going to waste because the families there can't afford to get in.

Man I don't get that. Over here and a lot of places around the world it is the poor mans sport. The only thing poorer would be to go home and do nothing but even here in Sweden I can see how they are regulating that away. Started in the middle of the 90s when they forced regulation to be include exactly what sort of shins you had to wear and those were expensive. Thankfully tons of companies didn't mind sponsoring the kids and the state giving grants to inner city kids that didn't have that luxury of being sponsored to make things cheaper. That is gone now.
But still outside of the western world I see tons of hungry kids giving it their all with as little as possible. Why I'm laughing my ass off at people here in Europe complaining that there are so many foreigners in their teams...well your kids aren't hungry enough. That easy.

They are totally pricing poorer families out. I dropped out of AYSO when I was thirteen when I found out it was like $200 for a uniform, on top of having to buy a ball, cleats, shin guards, and paying for the mandatory team photo. I like soccer, but that was way too much money to be asking my parents for. I just told them the following year I didn't want to play anymore.

That's expensive. That recent? I know I paid around €20 in the 80s plus whatever the gear cost.

Also if you can afford it do not be afraid to give some money to these youth groups. Help them pay for stuff that is needed. If you can get friends to help out a little as well it might actually become a substantial sum. Heck if you have the slicks for it gamble a bit. Talk to the local companies and see if they won't mind sponsoring a bit. Have the company I work for sponsor multiple girls sports team. Getting that goodwill is priceless. Getting new young talent to hear about us and have us as their first choice for interning in and often a wish to stay after school is just a cause of that goodwill.

I give money to my local horse riding school. The girls there had more balls than the adults and decided to invite the girls from the refugee housing the first day and now I see girls riding around with blond hair and girls in hijabs riding around as well. Learning how to take care of a creature and building a backbone. Horses can be intimidating when large and just wanna play. Plus Jandro poops are large and smelly.

D i Z

Never fucked with Matt Damon but he went on "Who's man is this?" list when he talked down to that black woman about diversity

Shame is they can lay low for like a year and get behind the camera or produce until the heat is off. Their access to projects from "friends" is what will block em up for a bit during restructuring. Their fans are desperate to forget about this already.

She can't act

Yup.

------

Evening, Faustek.

What is your age? - 27
Hobbies: - Reading, Writing, Programming, Creating

Hope everyone's doing well. Someone in one of the BCT threads mentioned the Shattered Earth series by N. K. Jemisin and I've been hooked and reinspired ever since. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough for Black fantasy authors, and the fact that she secured the first Hugo for Black authors... AND the second? Whew.

Edit: Might not have been a BCT thread I dunno.

Welcome, friend. A few simple rules:
Don't mess with John Boyega Shy
Don't let Slayven hold a $20
Do not buy Prototype Viktor mix tape

Slayven

Shame is they can lay low for like a year and get behind the camera or produce until the heat is off. Their access to projects from "friends" is what will block em up for a bit during restructuring. Their fans are desperate to forget about this already.

Yup.

------

Evening, Faustek.

Still can't believe Mel Gibson is back, and he never even apologized

Good to meet you.

And if you're looking for recent anime Pupa was interesting.

Oh, cool. It's about butterflies- *Watches synopsis video* .................... I think I'm going to start going back to church.

Mmhm them shits be bangin. I sometimes go to the one by my job before I go in to work. Why do only old white people be going in those places in the morning?

Honestly my best friend, her fam, and I are the only black peeps I personally know that eat there. Weird.

I give money to my local horse riding school. The girls there had more balls than the adults and decided to invite the girls from the refugee housing the first day and now I see girls riding around with blond hair and girls in hijabs riding around as well. Learning how to take care of a creature and building a backbone. Horses can be intimidating when large and just wanna play. Plus Jandro poops are large and smelly.

Good morning, and that's awesome of you. I wish we had those kinds of programs in my neighborhood, but I'm not sure we even have a BSA troop or 4H club anymore.

Welcome, friend. A few simple rules:
Don't mess with John Boyega Shy
Don't let Slayven hold a $20
Do not buy Prototype Viktor mix tape

Hello, and thanks for the heads up!

RedSwirl

Morning kin.

Man I don't get that. Over here and a lot of places around the world it is the poor mans sport. The only thing poorer would be to go home and do nothing but even here in Sweden I can see how they are regulating that away. Started in the middle of the 90s when they forced regulation to be include exactly what sort of shins you had to wear and those were expensive. Thankfully tons of companies didn't mind sponsoring the kids and the state giving grants to inner city kids that didn't have that luxury of being sponsored to make things cheaper. That is gone now.
But still outside of the western world I see tons of hungry kids giving it their all with as little as possible. Why I'm laughing my ass off at people here in Europe complaining that there are so many foreigners in their teams...well your kids aren't hungry enough. That easy.

That's expensive. That recent? I know I paid around €20 in the 80s plus whatever the gear cost.

Also if you can afford it do not be afraid to give some money to these youth groups. Help them pay for stuff that is needed. If you can get friends to help out a little as well it might actually become a substantial sum. Heck if you have the slicks for it gamble a bit. Talk to the local companies and see if they won't mind sponsoring a bit. Have the company I work for sponsor multiple girls sports team. Getting that goodwill is priceless. Getting new young talent to hear about us and have us as their first choice for interning in and often a wish to stay after school is just a cause of that goodwill.

I keep thinking about what would happen if the US put into Soccer what it puts into basketball and football in terms of money and culture. With basketball and gridiron football in the US, the public school system pretty much supports you through high school, and if you're good enough, college. All that money in those and other sports has produced so many of the world's top athletes. But American sports culture is actually pretty isolated when you think about it. Our main sport is a sport nobody else really plays. I guess basketball has been spreading from the US to other parts of the world, same with baseball. And Hockey is pretty much mainly played between the US, Canada, and Northern European countries.

If the US actually did really get into Soccer the same way -- a sport basically everyone else plays, that could really change its position in global sports culture if you ask me.

darklin0

Banned

Mid 2000s. I may be miss remembering might have been $200 total but I do remember I quit because the uniform and fees were extensive. One of the reason why was because of minimal funding in the area I grew up in. Almost every parent was working minimum wage so there really isn't much local support.

My brother is in it now and it looks like they are able to get more funding than they used to. The local FOX network gives the org some money and they get to put their channel ad on the jersey.

--

Welcome MiddeSummer

My prediction:

Ben Affleck will lay low for about 5 years, tops. He won't do The Batman or anything, just chill. In a few years, he'll get some amazing indie script, put it together on his own dime, and in that five years, return to the scene. Cannes nod, Golden Globes, story about new sober Ben, maybe marry that girlfriend.

D i Z

Is Anna Kendrick an actual, live person or a midget? Watching this movie, The Accountant, on HBO and she's 3 feet shorter than Affleck.

She's a pocket sized human, for sure.

My prediction:

Ben Affleck will lay low for about 5 years, tops. He won't do The Batman or anything, just chill. In a few years, he'll get some amazing indie script, put it together on his own dime, and in that five years, return to the scene. Cannes nod, Golden Globes, story about new sober Ben, maybe marry that girlfriend.

That sounds about right for the directors redemption playbook.

Shy

Sorry if this has been posted in the past. But i just came across this on my net travels.
It's a video about the Equal Justice initiative's plan to build a memorial to the victims of lynching in the U.S.
And here's a more information on their site.

And on a lighter note.
Watch this. It's the best one man band vid, you'll ever see.
are folks still mad about Finn being a janitor?
Yep. It's really tiresome.
Loot boxes after serious business. People want Congress involved... Smh
Because loot boxes are one arm bandits (Slot machines) which is gambling. And should be held to the same regulations.
Never fucked with Matt Damon but he went on "Who's man is this?" list when he talked down to that black woman about diversity
Yeah. After that he could go fuck himself.
Morning kin.
Morning.

D i Z

About the US missing the World Cup....

You probably haven't noticed that the Women's National team has WON it three times.

Faustek

Welcome Midde.
I have one "person" to add to the don't trust list. Malyse. Don't ask to much just take my word for it.

I keep thinking about what would happen if the US put into Soccer what it puts into basketball and football in terms of money and culture. With basketball and gridiron football in the US, the public school system pretty much supports you through high school, and if you're good enough, college. All that money in those and other sports has produced so many of the world's top athletes. But American sports culture is actually pretty isolated when you think about it. Our main sport is a sport nobody else really plays. I guess basketball has been spreading from the US to other parts of the world, same with baseball. And Hockey is pretty much mainly played between the US, Canada, and Northern European countries.

If the US actually did really get into Soccer the same way -- a sport basically everyone else plays, that could really change its position in global sports culture if you ask me.

Due to the culture in the states I'm certain you could produce fine athletes no matter the sport. Heck, look at your women in soccer. Aces just aces.
Btw Football and basketball have their place all over the world. Saw a lot of Asian teams in the international Cup in Uppsala a few years back. Also we have EFAF here. Haven't really bothered since I stopped following most of the sports but a friend works there and according to him they get more teams trying to qualify every year now.

Mid 2000s. I may be miss remembering might have been $200 total but I do remember I quit because the uniform and fees were extensive. One of the reason why was because of minimal funding in the area I grew up in. Almost every parent was working minimum wage so there really isn't much local support.

My brother is in it now and it looks like they are able to get more funding than they used to. The local FOX network gives the org some money and they get to put their channel ad on the jersey.

--

Welcome MiddeSummer

That's expensive.
Good on the local FOX network and that's what we do. We pay for the gear and plaster our logo over it.

My prediction:

Sounds about right.
Also wasn't Affleck the dude to tried to hide the fact that his ancestors where slave owners?

Johndoey

Banned
The Boy Scouts are set to start accepting girls soon. So that's always cool.

They're opening up for girls to become Eagle Scouts in 2019 apparently.

Slayven

Who's man is this?

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...iversity-report-chief-denise-young-smith.html

Apple's newly minted vice president of diversity and inclusion said that ”12 white, blue-eyed, blonde men in a room" could be considered ”diverse"

Denise Young Smith, who oversees Apple's efforts to create a more diverse workplace, took on her new role in May after serving as the head of the Cupertino-based company's human resources since 1997. Her recent statement on diversity has raised a few eyebrows.

"There can be 12 white, blue-eyed, blonde men in a room and they're going to be diverse too because they're going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the conversation," Young Smith said at the recent One Young World Summit, held in Bogotá, Colombia, according to Quartz.

Young Smith, who is a woman of color, said she focuses ”on everyone" and that, for her, diversity goes beyond race, gender and sexual orientation.

Top Bottom