• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Official Thread [360/PS3] - Be Ready for the Rebel

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is there any significant advantage to unlocking it or is it just for the people that want the unlimited characters available for the start? I will play the single player for awhile so I'll probably go for it unless it requires too much work.
I also saw that they're selling alternate colors for the characters. I don't think I have to ask if that's necessary....you'd almost think this is a Namco Bandai game.

I'm just glad Continuum Shift will only be $40. That and Super SFIV.

By the way, BlazBlue is on PSN, right? It's also $25. Hmm...I'm thinking about getting it for my PSP. My Guilty Gear XX AC Plus needs a friend!

Wow, that Noel artwork is great. It's a shame they couldn't have used both, but it's amazing to see how it was made.

Since I play Noel, I like it more, but that's a bit of bias.

From a marketing perspective, I can see why they did it; artsy-ness + sexiness = sales.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ok I've been playing Blazblue the last couple days. So far it's great, the graphics are soo good.

I have a couple questions, though. So I've beaten arcade mode, I did it with Baku man, what does "unlimited" mean? Also, how do I trigger the "crazy" attacks? My action gauge is always flashing but I'm not sure what to do. These are probably moranic question but I'm a fighting game nub so I need all the help I can get. If I can get a handle of this I want Blazblue to be my fighting game forte, it's so cool. If I can get the tricky stuff I'll definitely buy Super Blazblue.

I'm doin the arcade with Ragna right now, he's pretty good. My fave so far is Baku man but the big tittie lady with the staff is great as well. So is Jin.
I'm so green when it comes to fighters but I'm really feeling BB so far...

The unlimited versions of characters you unlock are basically the overpowered boss versions you fight in arcade and score attack modes. They aren't balanced and you can't use them in ranked online or in player rooms unless they specifically turn them on.

I'm not sure what you mean by crazy attacks, but if you pause there's a menu option that shows you how to do every move that a character has. If you mean the Astral moves that you unlock by beating arcade mode, you have to have a full super bar, be in the last round of the match and the guy you're fighting has to have 20% or less health, I believe. They aren't really practical so much as crazy, flashy and hard to hit successfully finishers. If they do hit, the dude you're fighting is KO'd.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I guess I'll have to try training mode or something to figure them out.
Every now and then the cpu player in Arcade will trigger an attack where the background changes and they do something crazy that beats the shit out of me. I've been just using the basic face button + d-pad movement attacks and I'm not sure how to do them yet.

Dreavus

Snuggler said:
I guess I'll have to try training mode or something to figure them out.
Every now and then the cpu player in Arcade will trigger an attack where the background changes and they do something crazy that beats the shit out of me. I've been just using the basic face button + d-pad movement attacks and I'm not sure how to do them yet.

Yeah, that'd be a distortion drive. Those usually take up 2 bars to perform. Go to a characters move list a look near the bottom; they should be highlighted in yellow (I think).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alright. I was just trying to beat Haku man with Ragna on Arcade and it was tough.
He kept doing the "distortion drive" moves on me even when I was beating his ass non stop.
T'was frustrating but I need to grasp the mechanics before I can take him down.

Dreavus said:
Yeah, that'd be a distortion drive. Those usually take up 2 bars to perform. Go to a characters move list a look near the bottom; they should be highlighted in yellow (I think).

2 bars?? You jin players are funny. :lol

For the exception of Hakumen and Jin, DD takes 1 bar. Jin's is broken up into 4 bars so he can use some of his ice moves. Hakumen's bar is weird... I don't really understand it except it fills by time and some moves take away from the bar and the DD depends on which bar the gauge is on. Maybe a Hakumen player can fill in.

Hey Dreavus, I've been playing BB:CT again lately... You wanna have some matches? I haven't seen you on for a while.

Forbiden

Prototype-03 said:
2 bars?? You jin players are funny. :lol

For the exception of Hakumen and Jin, DD takes 1 bar. Jin's is broken up into 4 bars so he can use some of his ice moves. Hakumen's bar is weird... I don't really understand it except it fills by time and some moves take away from the bar and the DD depends on which bar the gauge is on. Maybe a Hakumen player can fill in.

Hey Dreavus, I've been playing BB:CT again lately... You wanna have some matches? I haven't seen you on for a while.
I don't think any characters bars, aside from hakumens, are set up differently. They are all the same iirc, the only difference between Jin and the others is that you can pull of the special ice moves when you have 25% of the gauge full.

As far as hakumen goes, if you look at the move list it tells you how many "bars" it takes to perform his special moves. His bar fills on it's own, but just like the normal gauges of the other characters, it also fills up when dealing or recueving damage. The number of bars you have available to use is displayed as a red "dot" around the Japanese/Chinese/whatever symbol.

Forbiden said:
I don't think any characters bars, aside from hakumens, are set up differently. They are all the same iirc, the only difference between Jin and the others is that you can pull of the special ice moves when you have 25% of the gauge full.

As far as hakumen goes, if you look at the move list it tells you how many "bars" it takes to perform his special moves. His bar fills on it's own, but just like the normal gauges of the other characters, it also fills up when dealing or recueving damage. The number of bars you have available to use is displayed as a red "dot" around the Japanese/Chinese/whatever symbol.

What Dreavus was saying is that he requires two of Jin's bars, which is separated into four parts instead of two, like most of the case. So in his case, it was two bars to perform a DD. I was just clarifying that.

Ok, I'm a long time SF player and having finally got the LE UK release of this game I have no idea where to start - there just seems to be an endless amount of combos and the tutorial DVD that came with it doesn't really help when trying to remember combos and stuff.

I'm leaning towards using Jin or Litchi but I really need to learn some basic combos and if someone could point me in the right direction it would be big help.

Dreavus

Prototype-03 said:
What Dreavus was saying is that he requires two of Jin's bars, which is separated into four parts instead of two, like most of the case. So in his case, it was two bars to perform a DD. I was just clarifying that.

oh man, my mistake!

I honestly did not realize that that was just for Jin. Just trying to be helpful. :lol

EDIT: @prototype: Yeah I'll try and come on a bit more. Do you guys still use the BB Gaf chatroom to set up games?

Solid_Rain said:
Ok, I'm a long time SF player and having finally got the LE UK release of this game I have no idea where to start - there just seems to be an endless amount of combos and the tutorial DVD that came with it doesn't really help when trying to remember combos and stuff.

I'm leaning towards using Jin or Litchi but I really need to learn some basic combos and if someone could point me in the right direction it would be big help.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'd suggest watching the Strategy videos (the narrated ones) on the DVD.

And play through arcade mode/story with the characters you want to play and practice combos.

but the DVD is a horrible way to learn them.

Subliminal said:
I'm in the same boat as you, I'd suggest watching the Strategy videos (the narrated ones) on the DVD.

And play through arcade mode/story with the characters you want to play and practice combos.

but the DVD is a horrible way to learn them.

There aren't any challenge type modes like in SFIV are there?

Dreavus said:
EDIT: @prototype: Yeah I'll try and come on a bit more. Do you guys still use the BB Gaf chatroom to set up games?

Not really. I've just been contacting Q for random battles but that's it. We could/SHOULD start using the chatroom again. It's always empty though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I'm really thinking of trying to learn Tsubaki since no one wants to play her in the next one.

Playing Hakumen in CT is frustrating , esepcially when you suck.

_dementia said:
No. The console release of Continuum Shift will have them though. Narrated by Rachel to boot!

I might just wait for that then - even though It might mean having bought CT for nothing - and play SSIV while waiting. I saw it here down for July 20th, if that release date correct.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Solid_Rain said:
I might just wait for that then - even though It might mean having bought CT for nothing - and play SSIV while waiting. I saw it here down for July 20th, if that release date correct.

The tutorial DVD gives you more than enough to get started. Not the combo-athon, but the instructions from tournament players for each character. Then, just experiment in the training room for a little bit. There's a movelist. See what combos into what. The game itself is generous in terms of frames for linking/canceling.

Play some player matches. You'll see what other people are doing with their characters and learn from them.

arstal said:
I'm really thinking of trying to learn Tsubaki since no one wants to play her in the next one.

I play Tsubaki (look at icon) :lol

Expect to mix up and bait a lot

Syril

Snuggler said:
Alright. I was just trying to beat Haku man with Ragna on Arcade and it was tough.
He kept doing the "distortion drive" moves on me even when I was beating his ass non stop.
T'was frustrating but I need to grasp the mechanics before I can take him down.

The Hakumen you fight in Arcade mode is the Unlimited version; he has enhanced attack and defense, and his heat gauge charges at a greatly increased rate. If you want to practice against the regular Hakumen first, you can always set up a VS CPU match against him.

arstal said:

Not as bad as trying to learn Arakune on the fly.

Dreavus

Prototype-03 said:
I'm actually on now if any gaffers want to join me and QisTopTier on ps3... PSN: Prototype-03

Damn! I'm just heading out to work. You guys will still be playing in 4 hours, right? right? ;P

Giolon

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Anyone pick up BlazBlue Portable?

Is it pretty smooth and good?

I'm thinking about getting it.

I picked it up today on PSN to practice in my hotel while I'm in Japan. I'm getting murdered in the arcades on CS.

Anyhow, it's a super faithful port. The sprites are noticeably less detailed and the 3D elements of the backgrounds have been converted to Sprite, but on the whole I'm super impressed. One improvement is that the way unlockables works has been changed. Now, everything from artwork to unlimited characters to astral heats to Teach Me, Ms. Litchi! are unlockable via a store, and as you play any of the game modes, you earn credits for the store. Going through Arcade mode once with Litchi I earned about 12000 credits and the costs in the store are roughly 2000-4000 per item.

There's also a new sort of strategy game mode where you have a party of characters and persistent health, and you just go around the map killing other parties of characters. After you beat a battle, you can recruit one of the defeated characters into your party.

ggs Dreavus yesterday. Started falling asleep towards the end though :lol . I might be on today as well, but I might go to the arcades later tonight... Not sure.

Vortex566 said:
Any gaffers fancy a game at some point? UK player here with no real clue on how to play! PSN:Vortex566

US here, but if you don't mind the lag, my PSN is Prototype-03. I remember when some EU gaffers imported this game, the lag wasn't as bad as I thought. Which character do you use?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Prototype-03 said:
ggs Dreavus yesterday. Started falling asleep towards the end though :lol . I might be on today as well, but I might go to the arcades later tonight... Not sure.

US here, but if you don't mind the lag, my PSN is Prototype-03. I remember when some EU gaffers imported this game, the lag wasn't as bad as I thought. Which character do you use?

The netcode's great.. I was able to play someone in Southern Mexico, and it was fine.

Noticed player matches seem to be borked though- it tries to connect for several minutes usually then says room is full, even if it shows 2/6 people in it.

arstal said:
The netcode's great.. I was able to play someone in Southern Mexico, and it was fine.

Noticed player matches seem to be borked though- it tries to connect for several minutes usually then says room is full, even if it shows 2/6 people in it.

Yup... best netcode in a fighter so far. You on PSN? Maybe we could have some matches. I try not to do random player matches because of that problem... Either that or I create my own... Then it's someone else's problem :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Prototype-03 said:
Yup... best netcode in a fighter so far. You on PSN? Maybe we could have some matches. I try not to do random player matches because of that problem... Either that or I create my own... Then it's someone else's problem :lol

Yeah , I'm on PSN, last time you did one I couldn't connect to your room though.

My problem is I play Hakumen, and it's easy to get frustrated using him. Probably going to try Tsubaki in CS since she seems unloved.

arstal said:
Yeah , I'm on PSN, last time you did one I couldn't connect to your room though.

My problem is I play Hakumen, and it's easy to get frustrated using him. Probably going to try Tsubaki in CS since she seems unloved.

Really? Add me... Could get some matches going.

Syril

Does anyone know some good followups to use after landing Gigantic Tager Driver? Sometimes, I've been to follow the B version with (f+C, D), but I haven't been able to land that reliably.

Syril said:
Does anyone know some good followups to use after landing Gigantic Tager Driver? Sometimes, I've been to follow the B version with (f+C, D), but I haven't been able to land that reliably.

The B version is the only that can be combo'ed... I think you can do 2B, Spark Volt, 6A, 2C, collider, 6C, 5D.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Wow, that Noel artwork is great. It's a shame they couldn't have used both, but it's amazing to see how it was made.

Since I play Noel, I like it more, but that's a bit of bias.

From a marketing perspective, I can see why they did it; artsy-ness + sexiness = sales.

Thanks FlightOfHeaven. Deep down, I really did wish they didn't change it. I think it would have been much more fair if they had used the Ragna cover as promised to NeoGAF. But yeah, marketing. It made sense, which was why I agreed to doing the new cover.

I did enjoy the whole process in the end, so I'm grateful for the whole experience.

Noel is my favorite too, so that's probably why I nodded my head as well. :D

_dementia said:

Woah shit! Mind Blown!

McBradders said:
Oh you are the artist. I feel sheepish now :lol

<3 your original man

:D Thanks man!

God dammit. Trying to find matches to play with people online is a load of crap. Not only does it take forever to find someone to even play against, but then most of the guys I've been playing only stick around for a match or two and leave, and then you have to start the whole process over again. And then of course there's all the assholes who keep disconnecting mid-match.

The only reason I'm even bothering is because I'd really like to get the last trophy for playing 150 Player Matches, and I'm actually halfway there, but fuck...unless you have a friend to play against online this is an incredibly tedious process. I really hope they streamline this process for CS.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
radiantdreamer said:
Thanks FlightOfHeaven. Deep down, I really did wish they didn't change it. I think it would have been much more fair if they had used the Ragna cover as promised to NeoGAF. But yeah, marketing. It made sense, which was why I agreed to doing the new cover.

I did enjoy the whole process in the end, so I'm grateful for the whole experience.
Yes mate, as much as I would have loved to see your Ragna art on shelves across the UK, I will be getting myself a limited edition copy to support this rather niche fighting title and to support your work (in some vague, tangented, non-existent way).

One question: is there any debate on PS3/360 being the better version? I had a US copy on PS3 for a while, but that was when I didn't have a decent pad/stick for the 360. Now partial to either, if one has better online infrastructure or any other redeeming qualities it'd be good to know. Thanks!

B-Genius said:
Yes mate, as much as I would have loved to see your Ragna art on shelves across the UK, I will be getting myself a limited edition copy to support this rather niche fighting title and to support your work (in some vague, tangented, non-existent way).

One question: is there any debate on PS3/360 being the better version? I had a US copy on PS3 for a while, but that was when I didn't have a decent pad/stick for the 360. Now partial to either, if one has better online infrastructure or any other redeeming qualities it'd be good to know. Thanks!

I think they're the same. At its peak though, more gaf players were playing on ps3. don't know if you care about that...

kuYuri

I recently got the PS3 Limited Edition via Goozex. Condition is pretty mint and the included Bluray is still sealed!

I didn't spend too much time with it yet, but my goodness, this game is packed with so much content. In retrospect, it was worth every penny.

The online features in this makes vanilla SFIV's online look cheap. :p

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
akachan ningen said:
I think they're the same. At its peak though, more gaf players were playing on ps3. don't know if you care about that...
That's as good a reason as any to get it on PS3 again :) If there's no word on western release of CS then I may go for it soon. Took us long enough to get CT, and I don't think I'll import again. Many thanks!

Top Bottom