• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Official Thread [360/PS3] - Be Ready for the Rebel

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Relix said:
Still torn whether on buying this or not... can somebody really sell me? I love fighting games but I hate button smashers and I am not sure of this game =P.

This is the most awesome video available for BlazBlue.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-montage-blazblue-calamity/46403

If you're not sold after watching this video, than almost nothing will.

FlightOfHeaven said:
I would like to mention that those PS3 themes are abysmal.

That is all.

Wow, that bad? Trying to edit those into the OP is what ended up destroying it. :lol

ZealousD

IGN put up a short article covering a few characters from the game. Some basic strategy advice and it will give you a good idea of how the characters play.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/996/996516p1.html

Only 4 characters in this articles (Ragna, Jin, Noel, Litchi) but it looks like they might do more in the future.

I have an interesting question. It doesn't really affect me because I have an HDTV, but for those with SDTVs and 4:3 monitors, how does the game display? Is it zoomed out more, providing more vertical viewing space like SFIV or does it force letterbox 16:9 with horizontal black bars?

DustinC said:
I'm looking forward to checking this out over the weekend, my review copy showed up today. Time to put my new SFIV fightstick to use! I will say I'm officially in love with the soundtrack already.

You lucky bugger...If you can, please let us know what you think of it...

Well, the free LE upgrade and the artbook reeled me in. Game looks great! I'm a sucker for well crafted 2D sprites and I love Guilty Gear, so I'm game. Can't wait to get some games in with some gaffers, hopefully. :D

Relix said:
Oh yeah, music is top notch. But man.... Jin and Ragna look like Ryu and ken in terms that everyone will use them only quite probably :lol

Oh, I plan to play exactly those two. :D

The Ken thing does really annoy me online with SF4. It means I've fuck all gameplan against non Ken/Sagat players because I've not played them enough!

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Arakune and Rachel most often. Easy to spam projectile attacks. :D Doubt Ragna will be out in force seeing he has crap health.

FoxSpirit

No, you are actually thinking of Nu (v-13). She's the true queen of projectile spam.

I wonder how much of her we'll see online, if people take the time to get decent with Ragna/Jin and find out what the same amount of practice returns as Nu... :lol

ZealousD said:
IGN put up a short article covering a few characters from the game. Some basic strategy advice and it will give you a good idea of how the characters play.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/996/996516p1.html

Only 4 characters in this articles (Ragna, Jin, Noel, Litchi) but it looks like they might do more in the future.

Hmm, thanks for this. Based on this article and some videos I've watched, Noel seems to be the closest to my style. Then again, this'll be my first time playing, so I guess we'll see about that. :lol I foresee myself taking quite a bit of time in practice mode on day 1.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Played online with someone from Chicago area... (I'm in San Diego, CA)...

The match connection was decent at best, first he hosted, then I did. Usually after the game syncs, the first round is really good, then as the game continues it got a bit laggy

When I play online with SOCAL/NORCAL peeps, the game is pretty much spot on though.

I need more out of state people to play! PM me if you have this game now.

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Oh, I plan to play exactly those two. :D

The Ken thing does really annoy me online with SF4. It means I've fuck all gameplan against non Ken/Sagat players because I've not played them enough!

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Arakune and Rachel most often. Easy to spam projectile attacks. :D Doubt Ragna will be out in force seeing he has crap health.
doesn't stop people from playing Akuma

So, is this the kind of stuff we should expect to see inside that artbook? They look to be phone cards, if anyone's curious. You know, to reach out and touch someone.
Or something. :3

MarkMan said:
Played online with someone from Chicago area... (I'm in San Diego, CA)...

The match connection was decent at best, first he hosted, then I did. Usually after the game syncs, the first round is really good, then as the game continues it got a bit laggy

When I play online with SOCAL/NORCAL peeps, the game is pretty much spot on though.

I need more out of state people to play! PM me if you have this game now.

How is the delay dealt with? Input lag? Frameskipping? When you stick to within your own state, does it frame skip less than HDRemix? Im really picky about this stuff, and Remix frame skips too much for me.

Narcosis

So I just got around to clicking the Achievement/Trophy list for the game in the OP...ugh...."Secret Achievement"...... *fist shaking*

I am so jealous of the people already playing this, that last gametrailers vid link was awesome
-_-

Oh well, guess I just need to keep warming up with GGXXAC+ for 10 more days....

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
GGs online to AKSYS, haunts and DustinC... BlazBlue's lobby system is awesome.

You can PASS your turn to someone else.

AWESOME.

Oh yea and eff you haunts for perfecting me!

What the hell. The 360 version isn't region free? Agggh. My US 360 died last week. I may have to import the Asian version. At least it's only $50. I don't think I care much about all the SE junk.

"GGs online to AKSYS, haunts and DustinC... BlazBlue's lobby system is awesome.

AWESOME.

Oh yea and eff you haunts for perfecting me!"

That'll make it mad easier to do online team tournaments.

DustinC

Haha, I got the hell kicked out of me, but it's a ton of fun. The lobby set-up is great, nice to have a pass and kick option in there. Your Noel is a beast MarkMan, I need to get to work on my Taokaka.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
DustinC said:
Haha, I got the hell kicked out of me, but it's a ton of fun. The lobby set-up is great, nice to have a pass and kick option in there. Your Noel is a beast MarkMan, I need to get to work on my Taokaka.

Dude, your Tao was doing some crazy ninja Magneto zerg rush shit... that shit was so fast/awesome I didn't know what was happening...

Chowfahn

Neo Member
In GGX2#R's online, whenever there was a bad connection, the gameplay just slowed down to accommodate it. Is it like that? Or is it like teh_J0kerer said, with input lag or frameskipping?

Foxix Von

Looked into it with more detail, regardless of the advertisement displayed stating that you get an art book with an in-store reservation. Yeah you don't. I just had to swap my order to online.

Bye bye employee discount, hello shipping :lol Now realizing I have a little bit of extra money... can't have that now. Now I have to find a stick!:lol

Looking at the SE fightstick right now... I'm so freaking soked for this.

VQ

DustinC said:

There's a character named "Noel" in the game? My friend would be quite happy. :lol

MarkMan said:
GGs online to AKSYS, haunts and DustinC... BlazBlue's lobby system is awesome.

AWESOME.

Oh yea and eff you haunts for perfecting me!

Passing turns? That is SWEET. The lack of a lobby was the only thing that turned me off on SSF2HD and SFIV's online.

On another note, man, I continue to be amazed by the soundtrack. I'm a huge fan of power/speed metal and Daisuke's (these ARE his work, right?) compositions on this game are ACE. The guitar and keyboard work on Jin's theme literally gave me goosebumps. I don't think the OST disc is going to leave my car's CD player for quite some time.

ZealousD

Foxix said:
Bye bye employee discount, hello shipping :lol

Ha, I was in the same predicament for a bit, then decided the art book probably wasn't worth the extra $9 or so I would have had to pay, even without shipping costs!

Gantz

Banned
Which version is everyone getting? I'll be getting the PS3 version this time around. I figure more people will be playing on PSN. I don't think I'll will be double dipping like I did with SFIV.

Foxix Von

ZealousD said:
Ha, I was in the same predicament for a bit, then decided the art book probably wasn't worth the extra $9 or so I would have had to pay, even without shipping costs!

Well if I really wanted to be cheap I could take it back to work once I get it, return it then rebuy the game with my discount :lol Would probably only cover shipping though :p

VQ

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Passing turns? That is SWEET. The lack of a lobby was the only thing that turned me off on SSF2HD and SFIV's online.

On another note, man, I continue to be amazed by the soundtrack. I'm a huge fan of power/speed metal and Daisuke's (these ARE his work, right?) compositions on this game are ACE. The guitar and keyboard work on Jin's theme literally gave me goosebumps. I don't think the OST disc is going to leave my car's CD player for quite some time.
yeah daisuke ishiwatari is the composer

Xater

So I am trying to figure out if I get this of KOF12. Is this game as complicated as GG? I could never wrap my head around the GG mechanics.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
How do some people have it early? Compliments of Aksys games-type stuff?

Xater said:
So I am trying to figure out if I get this of KOF12. Is this game as complicated as GG? I could never wrap my head around the GG mechanics.

Get both!

Foxix Von

Xater said:

Well this game is coming with an instructional DVD so it should ease the pain :lol

I always thought of the complexity as a bonus. Basically I can still have fun with guilty gear but I always feel like there's pretty much always something I can still learn.

@Lyte, well MarkMan... Well he's MarkMan so that's not surprising he's played it and, somebody else mentioned a review copy I think? So far it just seems like either people have played it at the arcades where it's been out for quite a while or they are getting review copies OR have ties to the developers.

VQ

I really need to pre-order this game.

Thanks for posting the impressions on the online play MarkMan, it's the only real concern I've got with BlazBlue. If a fighter doesn't have online functionality, or in this case bad functionality, it simply won't get played for very long. None of my friends really play fighters and I just don't go to the arcades anymore, I don't have any real source of local competition or the drive to really go out and find it like some of the more dedicated fans of the genre. Street Fighter IV was the first fighter in years that I've played for any length of time and that was in large part to the decent online setup it had. BlazBlue's sounds like a huge improvement.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Foxix said:
Well this game is coming with an instructional DVD so it should ease the pain :lol

I always thought of the complexity as a bonus. Basically I can still have fun with guilty gear but I always feel like there's pretty much always something I can still learn.

@Lyte, well MarkMan... Well he's MarkMan so that's not surprising he's played it and, somebody else mentioned a review copy I think? So far it just seems like either people have played it at the arcades where it's been out for quite a while or they are getting review copies OR have ties to the developers.

VQ

I have seen people on my friends list playing the retail version. AFAIK the review copies don't show up normally on XBL...

Foxix Von

Lyte Edge said:
I have seen people on my friends list playing the retail version. AFAIK the review copies don't show up normally on XBL...

Oh snap, well then f*** if I know :lol
It's not even supposed to ship until the 30th

VQ

Xater said:

I'm snagging both; but I'm really not counting on getting too deep into BB. Even with the instructional DVD, there's only so much I can do as a player; and to be perfectly honest - I'm not really a fan of the super intense frame counting madness and millisecond inputs that is most ASW games.

I prefer more methodic fighting games like SF2HDR, that aren't overflowing with systems and subsystems within the fighting engine. :|

ZealousD

Xater said:

It's easier a bit easier to get into but just as complicated. It actually has near the same subsystem mechanics as Guilty Gear but a few systems have been simplified a bit. Combos are a bit easier to perform and some subsystems aren't as effective.

I don't really get people's complaints about difficulty with Guilty Gear. I'm hardly a frame-counting, combo-memorizing, extensive-use-of-every-subsystem kind of person and I still have lots of fun with Guilty Gear.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I was saving up some money to buy this...ended up picking up Space bucks instead. Guess It goes into the Queue and I have to wait to get it =[

A King of Fighters without Mai isn't a King of Fighters, just a hollow shell of its former glory.

I intend on buying KoFXII as well

Xater

ZealousD said:
It's easier a bit easier to get into but just as complicated. It actually has near the same subsystem mechanics as Guilty Gear but a few systems have been simplified a bit. Combos are a bit easier to perform and some subsystems aren't as effective.

I don't really get people's complaints about difficulty with Guilty Gear. I'm hardly a frame-counting, combo-memorizing, extensive-use-of-every-subsystem kind of person and I still have lots of fun with Guilty Gear.

I had fun with Guilty Gea rbut I always felt like I was missing out on something.

jaundicejuice said:
A King of Fighters without Mai isn't a King of Fighters, just a hollow shell of its former glory.

I intend on buying KoFXII as well

Except for the part where Mai is part of the Fatal Fury series, not a shoe-in for KoF.

BAM!

Buying both and I wish you stupid chronic masturbators would stop whining about Mai for fucks sake.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm not reviewing this game!

I gave my review copy to someone on the SDT staff for the site review...

I've just been enjoying the game ;)

But really.

BlazBlue is hot.

Xater

MarkMan said:
I'm not reviewing this game!

I gave my review copy to someone on the SDT staff for the site review...

I've just been enjoying the game ;)

But really.

BlazBlue is hot.

So maybe you want to get into some GG comparison?

FoxSpirit

Lyte Edge said:

Send them a mail and ask for the price they paid... their souls!!

matmanx1

Great lookin game vid from Gametrailers. Thanks for the link. I'm abit jealous of you guys with the game already. I wanna play!

The Take Out Bandit said:
Except for the part where Mai is part of the Fatal Fury series, not a shoe-in for KoF.

BAM!

Buying both and I wish you stupid chronic masturbators would stop whining about Mai for fucks sake.

It's like Street Fighter without Chun-Li, it's just not right. Also Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors and the various other games from which King of Fighters draws its roster from essentially no longer exist. King of Fighters is all that's really left out of SNK's stable of fighting game franchises or any other kind of game they used to make. And honestly, this is a criticism that you could level against BlazBlue as well, the roster is pretty damned small. I'm guessing that's due to the probably high cost, but I'll invest in both games and contribute to the hopefully larger iterations

Top Bottom