• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Captain Marvel movie might be better then me thought and more important

So Carol won't be in IW? I guess it'd make it too easy if she were to show up and lay the smackdown.

She's going to be the strongest in the MCU right?

Dynomutt

So in the 90's means"

-They will be using the "de-aging" tech on Fury right?

-Is Fury aware of Captain Marvel if so how has Fury not said anything about having a ace up his sleeve? That mother fucker can keep a secret.

P.S. - Will they ever explain if Fury has some pseudo chemical enhancements or anything?

So in the 90's means"

-Is Fury aware of Captain Marvel if so how has Fury not said anything about having a ace up his sleeve? That mother fucker can keep a secret.

P.S. - Will they ever explain if Fury has some pseudo chemical enhancements or anything?

This is his thing..he's a "You'll know when I feel the need to tell you. Maybe." type of dude.

With powers like Captain Marvel's, slowed aging would be a pretty easy addition.

Yup. WW is looking quite young for her age. Easily pull that off.

Tony Stark/Iron Man said:
[to Steve Rogers, about Nick Fury]
He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets.
Couple that with the fact that he managed to keep Barton's family and the rebuilding of the helicarrier 100% a secret and completely off books.

It's a very strong combination of him being able to keep a secret, and it's also a very strong chance that he forgot about Carol. She left and he couldn't get in contact with her and had no way of reaching out into space that deep.

Deepwater

So Carol won't be in IW? I guess it'd make it too easy if she were to show up and lay the smackdown.

She's going to be the strongest in the MCU right?

She wont be in part 1 but she'll be in part 2

So in the 90's means"

They sort of address this in Agents of Shield

Pachimari

Slayven: CAPTAIN MARVEL SUCKS

Brie Larson:
vZkptI3.gif

Slayven: I love Captain Marvel, actually.
What movie is this?

Bronx-Man

Banned
It was weird watching Scott Pilgrim again a few weeks ago and then I see Brie Larson and I'm like whoooooa, she was hiding in plain sight the whole time

Mariolee

Definitely setting the groundwork for Secret Invasion.

This whole time, Fury has been prepping for the Skrulls. Loki and the Chitauri weren't what he was trying to enlist the Avengers for.

Ooh I like this perspective. He wanted the Avengers for alien threats with specifically the Skrulls in mind, but ended up using them for the Chintauri.

Fhtagn

I'm far from a super fan, tho I like Carol in the comics well enough most of the time other than Civil War 2, but setting this in the 90s is such a clever move, my interest in the film shot way up:

Allows them to set up Carol's backstory in a way that lets her show up in Avengers 4 already in full control of her powers, with substantial experience fighting cosmic/alien threats, as an expert. We already have Spider-Man to be a newbie, definitely didn't need two. My guess is that she'll end up being caught in a time dilation situation and take decades of our time to return to Earth in only a few years time from her perspective. Or maybe she just ages slowly and her second solo film will be a flashback as well.

This allows them to set up Skrulls and the Skrull/Kree war as something that happened in the past, setting up motivations for the Skrull to play the long game required for Secret Invasion/Dark Reign to be the next multi-phase story arc, and it also allows them to bring back Ronan the Accuser for a great cameo.

Skrulls are a great reason for Fury to be so damn secretive as to fake his own death.

Alongside Ant-Man, it gives further evidence of pre-Iron Man super heroes being a thing operating in the shadows for decades, setting the scene for Marvel to introduce characters like Blue Marvel etc further on, leading to an Ultimates movie... which won't happen unless the Black Panther and Captain Marvel films are huge hits but I can dream, right?

This I was not aware of. I think it's really peculiar that they waited 11 years before using them.

Their reasoning for not using The Skrulls in Avengers was that it was an already packed movie and they couldn't use any more of the run time to set up the history of the Skrulls and why they would be invading earth. They basically needed a faceless army for Loki to invade Earth with and the Chitauri fit that bill, especially since they could be used in that manner and they could use the Skrulls later on for something bigger.

Instead of rushing into it they're using Captain Marvel specifically as a vehicle for setting up the Skrull invasion in the future.

Deepwater

Their reasoning for not using The Skrulls in Avengers was that it was an already packed movie and they couldn't use any more of the run time to set up the history of the Skrulls and why they would be invading earth. They basically needed a faceless army for Loki to invade Earth with and the Chitauri fit that bill, especially since they could be used in that manner and they could use the Skrulls later on for something bigger.

Instead of rushing into it they're using Captain Marvel specifically as a vehicle for setting up the Skrull invasion in the future.

if they effectively made the most out of their shared universe they could have used Agents of Shield to set it up. But this is Marvel, so...

CloudWolf

The Captain Marvel movie is set in the 90's? But how will she join The Avengers? Will they do an opposite Disney CGI gimmick and age Brie Larson up 25 years?

EDIT: Oh time travel, of course. Silly me.

JCHandsom

Like i would be something as common as a Skrull.

If i was an evil alien copy, I would be a Dire Wraith

I shake my head everytime you diss something like Scott Pilgrim.

But then you bust out a ROM Spaceknight reference.

It's good to have you back.

Hey Slay,

Remember in Busiek's Avengers run when Carol gets drunk and tries to fly to the moon, only to realize she can't breathe in space?

Are we gonna get 'Alcoholic Wreck Danvers' as Captain Marvel?

Which I think would make for an interesting premise (basically Starbuck from BSG): Alcoholic hot mess fighter jet ace gets cosmic superpowers and teams up with her black best friend to save the world from shape shifting aliens.

Top Bottom