• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone who intends to use these monitors on a Displayport or Thunderbolt equipped Mac, you're much better off with the (more expensive) versions that has multiple inputs, namely Displayport. The $399 Auria monitor at Microcenter is such a monitor. Then, you don't need a $80 adapter to hook it up to your mac, just a miniDP->DP cable will do.

Thanks. This is exactly what I did.

Hey GAF, I want to buy a 120Hz 1440p IPS monitor, but the Overlord Tempest OCs are sold out. Are there any other 120Hz models I can buy?

I'm ready to pull the trigger and would like to not have to wait until March when Overlord thinks they might get some more in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Auria monitor does not have the gloss as an iMac would. It's a lot more muted and matte. Sucks :(

Seems like they're just picking whatever parts they can get, judging by the hodgepodge of panels, power supply bricks, and internal PCB designs.

But being muted is to be expected I think. There should be a huge disclaimer that not all of these monitors are the same even if they are theoretically using the same panel as the iMacs. Only the single input models will look similar.

Most of the multi-input models either have poor contrast stability or have extremely low static contrast. The end result is that at usable brightness levels (say 120cd/m2), contrast is something like 500:1, sometimes even lower. I know a few consumer electronic companies are using DGM re-badges, which is a v. bad idea because that specific model fucking sucks.

Bboy AJ

Seems like they're just picking whatever parts they can get, judging by the hodgepodge of panels, power supply bricks, and internal PCB designs.

But being muted is to be expected I think. There should be a huge disclaimer that not all of these monitors are the same even if they are theoretically using the same panel as the iMacs. Only the single input models will look similar.

Most of the multi-input models either have poor contrast stability or have extremely low static contrast. The end result is that at usable brightness levels (say 120cd/m2), contrast is something like 500:1, sometimes even lower. I know a few consumer electronic companies are using DGM re-badges, which is a v. bad idea because that specific model fucking sucks.

Thanks for this post. I expected an iMac monitor for $400, just with a few dead pixels. This isn't what I received. I think I'm going to return it, sell my Macbook Air, and buy an iMac. I'll give it a couple of days to mull over.

I didn't just want a big monitor. I wanted a sweet looking monitor. This is disappointing. I hope they pay for return shipping because this is so disappointing.

If you want that, buy a single input model. I was asked about this for the PC hardware thread in the gaming subforum. If you want an iMac clone, then buy a single input model from eBay like a Crossover/Shimian/Catleap. As mentioned previously, you need an expensive adapter for it to work.

If you want multiple inputs, you're almost better off waiting for domestic big brand 2560x1440 models to go on special. Most people can't/don't review monitors properly and most people just want the single input models for their desktops so its hard to tell which ones are bad and which ones are good. Most that review sites like TFT Central, Prad, and Anandtech get pretty awful versions for whatever reason.

Bboy AJ

If you want that, buy a single input model. I was asked about this for the PC hardware thread in the gaming subforum. If you want an iMac clone, then buy a single input model from eBay like a Crossover/Shimian/Catleap. As mentioned previously, you need an expensive adapter for it to work.

If you want multiple inputs, you're almost better off waiting for domestic big brand 2560x1440 models to go on special. Most people can't/don't review monitors properly and most people just want the single input models for their desktops so its hard to tell which ones are bad and which ones are good. Most that review sites like TFT Central, Prad, and Anandtech get pretty awful versions for whatever reason.

Really? So the Crossover or whatever eBay models will look like an iMac display? I'm okay with getting the adapter. That's not an issue. The screen itself is cheaper so no big deal.

Chances are that they'll come with a gloss screen, I believe most advertise it. If you're uncertain, it might be worth asking the seller so that you've got something to stab him with in case of a PayPal dispute. Those with "tempered glass" should look exactly like an iMac screen but you're paying for the glass.

Before that, I'd contact Auria (or Microcenter?) and see what they have to say. It should be gloss and since they've given you an incorrect item, you should be able to get a replacement fairly easily. Contrast might still suck though, I have no idea.

Edit:
Doing a quick search seems to suggest that more recent models or the Auria EQ276W are more likely to pack matte panels. It seems like Auria isn't doing much beyond changing the name of the monitor.

entremet

Thanks for this post. I expected an iMac monitor for $400, just with a few dead pixels. This isn't what I received. I think I'm going to return it, sell my Macbook Air, and buy an iMac. I'll give it a couple of days to mull over.

I didn't just want a big monitor. I wanted a sweet looking monitor. This is disappointing. I hope they pay for return shipping because this is so disappointing.

Why don't you just get the 27 inch Apple display to and tether the MBA to that?

Bboy AJ

Chances are that they'll come with a gloss screen, I believe most advertise it. If you're uncertain, it might be worth asking the seller so that you've got something to stab him with in case of a PayPal dispute. Those with "tempered glass" should look exactly like an iMac screen but you're paying for the glass.

Before that, I'd contact Auria (or Microcenter?) and see what they have to say. It should be gloss and since they've given you an incorrect item, you should be able to get a replacement fairly easily. Contrast might still suck though, I have no idea.

Edit:
Doing a quick search seems to suggest that more recent models or the Auria EQ276W are more likely to pack matte panels. It seems like Auria isn't doing much beyond changing the name of the monitor.
Thanks. I appreciate your help. I shot Micro center an email. The speaker also sounds broken. I hope Micro center doesn't ask me to pay for return shipping.

Why don't you just get the 27 inch Apple display to and tether the MBA to that?

That's an expensive monitor. But if I did that, I'd wait for a newer version to come out. You're right, though. Probably makes more sense than getting an iMac.

entremet

Thanks. I appreciate your help. I shot Micro center an email. The speaker also sounds broken. I hope Micro center doesn't ask me to pay for return shipping.

That's an expensive monitor. But if I did that, I'd wait for a newer version to come out. You're right, though. Probably makes more sense than getting an iMac.

Dell has a similar monitor for about 750 retail, but matte and not glossy and more ports, but if you want the Apple stylings do you have to pay a bit more. Comes with the terrority. It's a fantastic monitor though, with the minimal ports and glossy screen, which the iMac have as well, being the biggest drawback.

My issue with iMacs is that the lack of upgrade ability. I get new laptops every 3 years or so, so I can keep the Apple Display for home use.

coldfoot

Banned
My X270ME has a very nice bright panel. I didn't suggest them, because they are OOS.
I had to turn the brightness down to 20%, it was that bright.

tokkun

Really? So the Crossover or whatever eBay models will look like an iMac display? I'm okay with getting the adapter. That's not an issue. The screen itself is cheaper so no big deal.

Look at the promo photos in the auctions and judge for yourself. The stand and monitor housing will not look identical. If you want the edge-to-edge glass look, you will need to get one of the "Tempered Glass" models, however I would personally advise against it.

Personally I think the Apple Display is a pretty poor design from an ergonomics standpoint (both the stand and glass are awful IMO), so you are better off moving away from it. That's just me, though.

Are the 30" versions worth it?

30" models have a lower PPI, which may be a positive or negative depending on your perspective. When I first got the 27", it took me a little while to adapt to the smaller text, though I eventually did and it no longer bothers me.

The other question is how much of a premium do you put on that extra 160 pixels of vertical resolution. I have a 30" at work, where I often need to scan through large source code files, and I will take any extra vertical resolution I can get.

If you're still not sure after thinking about those things, my advice would be to get the 27" model.

Are the 30" versions worth it?

They're old CCFL monitors and have a fairly heavy matte coating. They're only worth it if you specifically want a 30" 16:10 wide gamut monitor. If you don't specifically want all of those qualities, then no they're absolutely not worth it.

Bboy AJ

Alright, so thankfully Micro Center is pretty good with returns. I've got the RMA number and will be returning this thing back to them. Unfortunately, it's the Lunar Year holiday in Korea. So all the eBay stores are shut down for a couple of weeks. Sucks but what are you going to do.

Crossover 27Q: An Apple Display just without the casing, inputs, speakers, etc, right? I would like a high gloss, bright, vivid monitor. All I want is an Apple display, just cheaper. That's all! Will I be good with the 27Q?

This Auria is definitely not an Apple-like monitor. I'm sure it's considered good but I wanted glossy, not matte.

tokkun: What's wrong with Tempered Glass? if you're against glossy, I like it, so that won't be an issue.

Phoenix

They're old CCFL monitors and have a fairly heavy matte coating. They're only worth it if you specifically want a 30" 16:10 wide gamut monitor. If you don't specifically want all of those qualities, then no they're absolutely not worth it.

But if you already have a 30" Cinema Display and want another one - its worth it?

FinKL

When is the mono price monitor coming?

I checked like a few weeks ago, and they had it on their website.

$400, but their stock was extremely limited and I think they won't get more until March/April? I think there is a preorder button though, considering it for a 2nd monitor at work.

Hey GAF, I want to buy a 120Hz 1440p IPS monitor, but the Overlord Tempest OCs are sold out. Are there any other 120Hz models I can buy?

I'm ready to pull the trigger and would like to not have to wait until March when Overlord thinks they might get some more in.
I had no idea you could buy 120Hz 1440p monitors. :eek:

tokkun

tokkun: What's wrong with Tempered Glass? if you're against glossy, I like it, so that won't be an issue.

The screen is not directly laminated to the glass, so there is space between the glass and the screen. This may cause double reflections or hazing under bright light situations (photographers will understand this - same effect from shooting towards the sun a UV filter that is not treated on both sides).

In the case of the Korean monitors, buyers have reported dust getting between the glass and screen, which causes a similar effect to dead pixels.

By the way, the tempered glass is going over an already glossy screen, so you gain nothing other than the monitor housing looking cooler, while making the actual monitor viewing worse.

You can buy glossy screens without the tempered glass, which is what I would recommend if you want a glossy screen.

Bboy AJ

You can buy glossy screens without the tempered glass, which is what I would recommend if you want a glossy screen.

Got it. Will do. Thanks.

Vespa

Anybody with a Crossover 27q know if you can achieve a 120 cd/m2 luminance? I'm so close to pulling the trigger but worried about colour critical work. Is it just the Crossovers that have the over bright low setting?

coldfoot

Banned
I hope you guys are aware of Monoprice entry in this arena. Starting at 390 and you get warranty and better customer support since its a legit American company.

They use the same panels Apple and Dell use as well, but have high quality control than the Korean monitors.

I also like the aesthetics.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&format=2

While that's a good monitor if you're content with just DVI, a monitor with a Displayport and HDMI input in addition to DVI is far more versatile, especially if it needs to be connected to a Displayport/Thunderbolt equipped Apple laptop. Unfortunately the only options for that are Auria which is crap, and Overlord, which is very good (A panel instead of A- like Auria or the koreans, I own one) but OOS until March.

tokkun

While that's a good monitor if you're content with just DVI, a monitor with a Displayport and HDMI input in addition to DVI is far more versatile, especially if it needs to be connected to a Displayport/Thunderbolt equipped Apple laptop. Unfortunately the only options for that are Auria which is crap, and Overlord, which is very good (A panel instead of A- like Auria or the koreans, I own one) but OOS until March.

It's generally believed that the DVI-only models have lower input lag than the monitors with multiple inputs.

So for people who play games that are sensitive to input lag may prefer the DVI-only. That was one of the big features that attracted me to buying a Korean model.

coldfoot

Banned
It's generally believed that the DVI-only models have lower input lag than the monitors with multiple inputs.

So for people who play games that are sensitive to input lag may prefer the DVI-only. That was one of the big features that attracted me to buying a Korean model.

True, but I doubt anyone buying this monitor to hook up to their Macbook Pro/Air cares about that.

In any Case, the HP Z1 workstation which is a grade A+ 27" 2560x1440 IPS LED monitor + a pc built in is going for $803 on the HP business outlet. It has a displayport input and built in speakers.

Bboy AJ

True, but I doubt anyone buying this monitor to hook up to their Macbook Pro/Air cares about that.

Yep. Don't care. I bought a Crossover 27Q. Let's see how it goes.

MrBig

Who here has an issue with color profiles changing in full screen games? It's driving me crazy.

Most engines are not color managed, there are very few applications that are. With these monitors you're stuck with how they are because there are no hardware rgb color controls.

Borman

Torn between picking up one of these, or a Dell Ultrawide for a second monitor. Currently have a 23inch dell so Im leaning towards the Ultrawide

shira

∀ Narayan;47713741 said:
I ordered a Yamakasi Catleap Q270 "2B Extreme OC" last week. Order is still awaiting fulfillment. I can't wait to get it!

$720 for a monitor?
baller

ameratsu

so these all seem to range from about $400-$800. Are there any highly regarded options under $300, even if they are smaller (22 inch)? I don't think I need 1440p

MrBig

so these all seem to range from about $400-$800. Are there any highly regarded options under $300, even if they are smaller (22 inch)? I don't think I need 1440p
then you should be looking through domestic options from dell asus etc, not one of these

IMACOMPUTA

Read the thread, bought a crossover from dream-seller, plugged it in to my computer via included DVI cable -- no picture.
The light stays orange. In catalyst control center it shows that it is one of my displays but it won't let me do anything with it.
Is there something I have to do? I have dual 6950s crossfired.

IMACOMPUTA

I had a bunch of problems due to multiple displays and crossfire. I got it working though. I have quite a few dead pixels but they aren't noticeable at all. Literally dust is more visable. They're off to the side though. Only one anywhere near the middle.

tokkun

∀ Narayan;47713741 said:
I ordered a Yamakasi Catleap Q270 "2B Extreme OC" last week. Order is still awaiting fulfillment. I can't wait to get it!

Hopefully the 120 Hz function works better for you. I ended up running mine at 60 Hz anyway, so the extra cost of the OC model went to waste.

Set my Catleap up last night. Overclocked to 120hz with great success! Hooray!
8492421082_38bfa5794e_o.gif

Hopefully the 120 Hz function works better for you. I ended up running mine at 60 Hz anyway, so the extra cost of the OC model went to waste.

Which GPU are you using, and which issues were you having regarding overclock attempts? When I used the guide at overclock.net, the timings given over there were giving me some very minor horizontal line effects. I fiddled with the timings a bit on my own and now everything is running flawlessly.

tokkun

∀ Narayan;47966042 said:
Which GPU are you using, and which issues were you having regarding overclock attempts? When I used the guide at overclock.net, the timings given over there were giving me some very minor horizontal line effects. I fiddled with the timings a bit on my own and now everything is running flawlessly.

GTX 670 with patched drivers. Running at 120 Hz caused a scanline-like effect on certain colors and a buzzing noise from the power supply. Also, I have dual monitors, and running one at 120 Hz caused significant frame dropping on the other one running at 60 Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom