• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do all DVI-D dual link cables support up to 2540x1600 resolution? Ive seen some on ebay that state they have a max resolution of 1920x1080/1200.

MrBig

Do all DVI-D dual link cables support up to 2540x1600 resolution? Ive seen some on ebay that state they have a max resolution of 1920x1080/1200.

Yes all you need a DL-DVI-D cable, which has has the requisite amount of bandwidth for sending a 1440p60 signal. The monitor comes with one.

Rejected why? Dead pixel or something bigger than that?

Apple has a really high standard for their panels, even the slights defect that may be nothing even noticeable to you or me will be rejected by Apple. Apple only uses A++ panels and these are typically A or A+ panels.

If you want to get in depth head on over to http://120hz.net.

That said I'm still on the fence. I really really want one but at the same time I can get a Auria 27" IPS from Microcenter, since it uses the same panel plus it's local so I can take it back for whatever. The difference is the price of a brand that has been reviewed and known to be a good performer (Catleap, QH270).

Well that and my 27" Hanspree is still alive and kicking, but I'd kill for 2560x1440 gaming goodness. I REALLY will!

Yes all you need a DL-DVI-D cable, which has has the requisite amount of bandwidth for sending a 1440p60 signal. The monitor comes with one.

Good to know, I was hesitating since some dual link DVI-D cables are advertised as having max res. of 1900x1200.

coldfoot

Banned
I have the Overlord Tempest X270ME and it's glorious next to my old 1920x1200 display. It's not just the resolution, the colors are so much better as well.

I have the Overlord Tempest X270ME and it's glorious next to my old 1920x1200 display. It's not just the resolution, the colors are so much better as well.

I've been looking at the X270ME. How is it? Do you play any FPS's and if so how's the display / input lag? Curious cause they have 2 in stock and I was looking at that vs a Catleap and the Auria at Microcenter.

coldfoot

Banned
I've been looking at the X270ME. How is it? Do you plan any FPS's and if so how's the display / input lag? Curious cause they have 2 in stock and I was looking at that vs a Catleap and the Auria at Microcenter.
It's hooked to my Macbook Air, so I'm not gaming on it at all, so can't really tell much The display is gorgeous. I got it when the PP version was $400 shipped, so price was a big factor in my purchase.

However I'd think the lag should be comparable when using the DVI input and a bit higher if you're using Displayport like mine.

Fury Sense

I think I'm ready for 2560 x 1440.

Any recent purchasers have some reviews/comments/complaints to share???

Price under 450 is awesome compared to the 700-1200 I'm seeing on other retail sites.

With this kind of resolution I could work on 1920x1080 display graphics at 100%!

edit: Do Korean sellers on ebay celebrate black friday?

coldfoot

Banned
Here's the difference between my old and new monitor. That's only 10% brightness on the right and 50% on the left. Old monitor is a 26" TN 1920x1200 LG monitor.
iDqN25ANODeaZ.JPG

MrBig

I'm about the pull the trigger on a QH270-Lite

I want the minimal, cheapest version with no scalar, speakers, etc. It just needs a VESA mount.

Any reason not to pull the trigger on this?

I'm sure you'll love it. I'd go with AW, RedCap, or Green Sum, though. Dream seller had a reputation for not paying for returns.

The only major problem with those is the stand. The actual structural part of it is smaller than the plastic cover (which will get super dusty btw), which some people have reported as being wobbly or unstable. If it's an issue for you I'd get this.

I came to the conclusion that I received a faulty monitor. Sad but relieved, I thought the problem was lying with the cable or the gpu. Will send it back.

Fury Sense

I bought the same one as Coolio. The day I decided to buy, it was $320. They day I made the purchase it was $350. Today I look and it's $410. Link DHL Failed to deliver it on their first attempt yesterday, but today it's here. I was really worried I'd have to go through a big hassle (go to their site and see if you can find a phone # in under an hour).

Good for you green-sum, not good for me :D

It's in the mail center now, I'll post some pics and condition information later today when I hook it up.

edit: WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH Love it. No dead pixels, other defects must be too small for me to notice yet.

3 Layers of bubble wrap proved to be packaging enough

AHwgT

ImRLi

Rbys0

My desktop is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge IMG LINK
anyone else remember that backfire thread?

GTX460 seems to be doing fine, Netflix runs great. Will try some games tomorrow

Igo

How much VAT did you guys in the UK end up paying? Think I could get away with stating the monitor only cost $100?

I know it ain't cheap but sometimes there are deals on U27E11, now that U27E13 is out.

U27 is an amazing monitor. And it's amazing value. I did want the 30 inch but... Honestly, buying this thing is one of the best buys I've ever done. I bought it 2-3 years ago when I wanted an Imac. Not only do you get the nonglossy with this, but you get amazing RGB accuracy in preset. The interface is brilliant, and it's this awesome touch. Besides that, the stand looks amazing (it looks cheak on the U27E13 though.. Would get a WESA wallmount and mount that thing) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGU7-81FWOE

What's the difference in the sei and se versions of the catleap? I've noticed the sei is going for quite a bit cheaper? Also does this have a glossy screen? I have one now and I don't really like it so I want to get away from glossy.

Weenerz

Banned
Sorry for the spam, but I am selling one of the Catleap Q270 SE models,

Nothing wrong with the unit, I just want a monitor that has a built in scaler so I can use HDMI for my external capture card.

I have two pictures, one showing where the programs are for reference and the other will show you where the one single stuck pixel is.

http://i.imgur.com/7r32s.jpg - Reference
http://i.imgur.com/zRjaD.jpg - Pixel placement.

The pixel is a bit blurry but that is because of my shaky hands, it is one single stuck red pixel.

$250 + shipping to the US. Includes original box.

I've had the ShiMian for a month or so now. Seriously an amazing monitor. There's a cluster of about 13 stuck pixels on the right edge of the screen but they're impossible to see under normal conditions; I have to stick my nose up to the screen on and the background needs to be pure black to notice them. There's a tiny bit of light bleed on the bottom left quadrant as well. It's just such an amazing upgrade from my old LCD tv that I didn't bother to complain.

It's honestly the best deal out there on a monitor unless you're completely dead set on having a perfect monitor with no faults, no matter how slight.

MultiCore

Which monitor calibration program would anyone recommend?
Get Calman 5 with their new C3 sensor.
Beats anything at twice the price.

For doing your pc display, you have to add on a CalPC license though. Still worth it though.

store.spectracal.com/consumer/calpc-monitor-calibration.html

If you're only doing your PC, just get this one.

store.spectracal.com/consumer/calpc-monitor-calibration/calpc-w-oem-i1display-colorimeter.html

VoxPop

These look great for the price. I'm still debating if I want to pay the premium for the hardware design of the Apple Cinema Displays or just go with one of these as it would look weird when hooked up with my other Apple products/PC.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I purchased the 30inch 2600x1600. I will let you guys know how it is when it comes in.

tokkun

Any complaints about it and if you don't mind me asking, how exactly would you OC the monitor. Is it done in the video settings in the pc or a setting on the monitor?

Overclocking is achieved via software, but very few monitors are capable of being overclocked. The process involved patching my drivers (since I have an Nvidia card) and creating a custom resolution of 2560x1440 @ 120Hz in the control panel.

My impression after a few days of ownership is that I probably would not recommend paying a premium for an overclockable monitor. Mine works at 120Hz, but when set above 90Hz it exhibits a visual defect similar to scanlines on a TV and makes a slight buzzing sound. More importantly, although I get smoother motion when moving my mouse, when moving windows it is choppy, as if frames are getting dropped. I don't know if this is an issue with the drivers, monitor, or DVI cable, but as a result, I have been running it at 60Hz exclusively.

Overclocking aside, there's really nothing negative to say about it. I ordered a Perfect Pixel version (though they may not be offering these anymore) and there are no pixel defects as promised. The picture looks beautiful in day-to-day use; I have it sitting next to an HP LP2475w that I paid $600 for a couple years back, and it looks superior to the naked eye, though I haven't had time to do calibration and get a quantitative assessment. One thing I would say for people new to this type of monitor is that the pixel pitch takes some getting used to. Everything is noticeably smaller than on the 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

The stand that comes with the Overlord is serviceable. If you don't need to adjust height/tilt, then you can get by fine with it without having to pay extra for an aftermarket stand. The bezel is fairly large (common with most of the Korean monitors too), but otherwise it is alright in the looks department.

One caveat I would mention is that I expect that if you order a monitor from Overlord in the next month or so, there is a very high chance of it having dead or stuck pixels. The guy running the company mentioned that the stock he got from his supplier was only about 30% pixel perfect rather than the 70% he was promised, so the pixel perfect models were oversold. The implication I would draw from that is that any pixel perfect screens that come in the next shipment will go towards fulfilling existing orders first rather than going into the pool of monitors that go to the people who don't pay extra for the pixel perfect guarantee.

An update from me:

I returned my Crossover on dec 4th, it had heavy stuttering and flickering issues. AccessoriesWhole received my monitor on dec 10th, they wanted to fully refund me, I was okay with that, but from our earlier chatting he mentioned that he would receive new stocks of Crossovers soon, I asked for one of those, these are most likely the monitors with the new green pcb board. He agreed and shipped a new one on dec 17th.

I hope I receive it before xmas. It was very unfortunate to send it back, the shipping back to them was €350, more than the monitor itself. Its not my problem though, they should've provided me a working monitor in the first place.

I will glady order more monitors from them in the future, communication was always fast. My next monitor will probably be a Yamakasi, these do not have the pcb board problem of the Crossovers.

These look great for the price. I'm still debating if I want to pay the premium for the hardware design of the Apple Cinema Displays or just go with one of these as it would look weird when hooked up with my other Apple products/PC.

And what a premium price, for the price of an Apple cinema display I can buy 3 of these monitors!

I just bit on the Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite, so I'm crossing my fingers that it turns out alright. Never thought I'd be buying a 27" IPS monitor, but the price is right and I've heard so many good things about these that I figured it was time to take the plunge.

BigFwoosh

I really want to bite on one of these monitors, but one thing scares me. I've seen several places say that they aren't compatible with Macbooks. Is that really true? A big reason I want to get one is to use it with my Air for iOS development at home. Has anyone here used an Air with one of these things?

MrBig

I really want to bite on one of these monitors, but one thing scares me. I've seen several places say that they aren't compatible with Macbooks. Is that really true? A big reason I want to get one is to use it with my Air for iOS development at home. Has anyone here used an Air with one of these things?

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues, you just have to be sure that your Macbook has a dual link DVI out connection. You can confirm that on the specs sheet for the laptop or you can just look at the DVI port and make sure that it has connection pins in all the slots, if it's missing the pins in the middle slot then it's a single link DVI output only and wont work.

BigFwoosh

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues, you just have to be sure that your Macbook has a dual link DVI out connection. You can confirm that on the specs sheet for the laptop or you can just look at the DVI port and make sure that it has connection pins in all the slots, if it's missing the pins in the middle slot then it's a single link DVI output only and wont work.

Mine only has a thunderbolt port. I have a DVI adapter (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425MQGA/?tag=neogaf0e-20), but from what I understand, I'll need a dual-link DVI adapter (like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2) to output at full resolution. Does that sound accurate?

MrBig

Mine only has a thunderbolt port. I have a DVI adapter (this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425MQGA/?tag=neogaf0e-20), but from what I understand, I'll need a dual-link DVI adapter (like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2) to output at full resolution. Does that sound accurate?

Yes, several people were doing the same set up back when these were a hot topic over on OCN. Not sure on the specifics of it because it wasn't pertinent to me.

MrBig

Great. Thanks for the help! Now to figure out which monitor to get...

Crossover's got the best stand and casing, Shimian was (idk if it it still is) the cheapest, but has a standard poor quality plastic case (this was the most popular one iirc). Otherwise the DL-DVI models are pretty much the same.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Apple has a really high standard for their panels, even the slights defect that may be nothing even noticeable to you or me will be rejected by Apple. Apple only uses A++ panels and these are typically A or A+ panels.
God I wish this were true. Apple isn't nearly as strict as you're making them out to be.

coldfoot

Banned

I'm using an Air with one. Get one with Displayport and all you need is a cheap miniDP to DP cable, and you even get sound through it. Works out cheaper than getting a DL-DVI model and then shelling $100 for an adapter. I have the Overlord Computer version, but Nixeus Vue and Auria ($399 @ Microcenter) have DP inputs as well. The Thunderbolt output on all Macs also outputs mini-Displayport. so all you need is literally a $5-6 cable from monoprice. No active powered $100 adapters.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think I'm just going to get one of these to go with my Macbook Air. I debated about buying an iMac 27" but that's unnecessary.

Thank you for this thread, coolio. I had no idea these things existed. And thanks to those that posted about the MacBook Air - Thunderbolt hook ups.

$70 for it? Got dammit. Do I need any other cables? I have nothing.

coldfoot

Banned
Anyone who intends to use these monitors on a Displayport or Thunderbolt equipped Mac, you're much better off with the (more expensive) versions that has multiple inputs, namely Displayport. The $399 Auria monitor at Microcenter is such a monitor. Then, you don't need a $80 adapter to hook it up to your mac, just a miniDP->DP cable will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom