• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTX 670 with patched drivers. Running at 120 Hz caused a scanline-like effect on certain colors and a buzzing noise from the power supply. Also, I have dual monitors, and running one at 120 Hz caused significant frame dropping on the other one running at 60 Hz.

I'm using a GTX 670 as well. (This one.) I'm running a single monitor, however, so I don't know if utilizing dual monitors would be the source of your problem(s).

Give these timings a shot and see if they work for you.

8492481508_2b2cca3013_o.png

The buzzing issue from the PSU may be an indicator of a defective unit. Have you looked into replacing it at all? How about the DVI cable you're using? Are you using the cable that came with the monitor, or your own?

tokkun

∀ Narayan;47966848 said:
I'm using a GTX 670 as well. (This one.) I'm running a single monitor, however, so I don't know if utilizing dual monitors would be the source of your problem(s).

Give these timings a shot and see if they work for you.

8492481508_2b2cca3013_o.png

The buzzing issue from the PSU may be an indicator of a defective unit. Have you looked into replacing it at all? How about the DVI cable you're using? Are you using the cable that came with the monitor, or your own?

Those timings are very similar to what I was already running, and didn't make a noticeable difference.

The buzzing noise, which only occurs at 100 Hz+, is pretty subtle - certainly far less than what is made by my Panasonic plasma - but I have fairly sensitive hearing. I doubt it would qualify as 'defective'.

I suppose that the main reason I haven't bothered to follow up too aggressively on any of the issues is that although the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz is clearly noticeable in A/B testing, it's not something that I find myself missing when I'm using a 60 Hz monitor.

Oxn

This is BS man

Crossover 27Q finally makes a white version but its ~$150 more than the normal black version.

Dunno if i should wait till it falls back in line with the black one for 350. Its freaking 500 cause its white.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got my 27Q. It looks so much nicer than the Auria. This monitor was exactly what I was hoping for. My only gripe is how the back is white. Looks ugly with all those puncture holes. Wish it were black.

This is BS man

Crossover 27Q finally makes a white version but its ~$150 more than the normal black version.

Dunno if i should wait till it falls back in line with the black one for 350. Its freaking 500 cause its white.

Got my 27Q. It looks so much nicer than the Auria. This monitor was exactly what I was hoping for. My only gripe is how the back is white. Looks ugly with all those puncture holes. Wish it were black.

Lol.

Oxn

Help

I just bought a crossover, plugged it in, the it went to the highest resolution.

But everything looks so pixelated, especially the text.

What can I do?

MrBig

Help

I just bought a crossover, plugged it in, the it went to the highest resolution.

But everything looks so pixelated, especially the text.

What can I do?

You'll need to provide more information than that.

Did you set it exactly to 2560x1440 and run the windows cleartype utility?

Oxn

You'll need to provide more information than that.

Did you set it exactly to 2560x1440 and run the windows cleartype utility?

Yes

Text looks better now that I set the custom dpi to 200%, but now the txt is giant.

Is it possible I may be using the wrong cable? Likke if im not using a DVI-D dual link?

Oxn

Yes

Text looks better now that I set the custom dpi to 200%, but now the txt is giant.

Is it possible I may be using the wrong cable? Likke if im not using a DVI-D dual link?

It was the cable after all, I need a DL dvi cable.

Text are crisp now.

But damn these crossover monitors are bright even on lowest setting. Also i dont notice any dead pixel, so Im good.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Keep clicking that lower brightness button. Keep clicking it and clicking it.

Oxn

Keep clicking that lower brightness button. Keep clicking it and clicking it.

Mustve clicked over a 100 times.

Well Im not happy about this. The lowest setting is too bright for me. I tried lowering it through the AMD controller but it brings a different set of problems. Colors become off and the black levels become too black.

I dont think Dreamseller will accept a refund. Dunno what to do. I made a post on craigslist and trying to sell at a loss. Hope someone bites.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

Well Im not happy about this. The lowest setting is too bright for me. I tried lowering it through the AMD controller but it brings a different set of problems. Colors become off and the black levels become too black.

I dont think Dreamseller will accept a refund. Dunno what to do. I made a post on craigslist and trying to sell at a loss. Hope someone bites.

what does that mean?

maybe someone here will buy it.

Oxn

what does that mean?

maybe someone here will buy it.

What it means is that dark colors will look black, ie: purple, brown, burgandy etc etc, because the brightness was turned down using a software and not by the hardware itself.

Its a shame because games look fantastic on it, but when viewing webpages or folders with alot of white, its killing my eyes.

I listed it on ebay, and craiglist at a pretty big loss.

MrBig

What it means is that dark colors will look black, ie: purple, brown, burgandy etc etc, because the brightness was turned down using a software and not by the hardware itself.

Its a shame because games look fantastic on it, but when viewing webpages or folders with alot of white, its killing my eyes.

I listed it on ebay, and craiglist at a pretty big loss.

You should probably turn on some lights if the monitor is the primary lightsource in the room and thus would be providing enough contrast to have that effect. Also try f.lux.

Oxn

You should probably turn on some lights if the monitor is the primary lightsource in the room and thus would be providing enough contrast to have that effect. Also try f.lux.

Even so.

O well, if it sells Ill go back to using my 22inch 1650x1050 monitor from dell. and buy myself an oculus rift.

Bboy AJ

How much are you selling it for?

coldfoot

Banned

You'll get used to it. At first I thought mine was too bright at 0, now I use it at 25 brightness

knitoe

My Crossover Q27 died after 8 months. Seems like no backlight. Back then, I bought it for $350. To ship to back to Korea for warranty repair, it was going to cost me $270. So, instead of possibly ending with another dead monitor in another year, I went ahead and bought a Dell 27" 2731HM IPS $650. Dell's 3 year warranty and great pixel policy is well worth it.

Igniz

Banned
I have a Overlord Monitor 1440p 27" 120hz OC pixel perfect monitor for sale. Will sell for $850. pm me if interested. This monitor is one of the first that was sold before Overlord decided to change the way they sell monitors (grade panels, etc). brand new unused.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Why aren't these monitors in common online shops and retail in the US? I would insta buy at $350.

I was in college 6-7 years ago. The best monitors were 1080p. There are mouth breathing consumer devices with greater resolutions.

Bboy AJ

I have a Overlord Monitor 1440p 27" 120hz OC pixel perfect monitor for sale. Will sell for $850. pm me if interested. This monitor is one of the first that was sold before Overlord decided to change the way they sell monitors (grade panels, etc). brand new unused.

Shieeet, I'd rather just buy an Apple Cinema Display.

Why are you selling it? Do you have another one that you've used? How do you like it?

I think some of the current panels can do 80-90Hz?
New 120Hz panels coming out which is nice.

IPS or TN?

Yeah, from what I've heard, most panels are guaranteed to hit 96Hz, but after that, nothing is for sure.

Not that I would be unhappy with 96Hz. That would be incredible, and frankly, starting to get into the diminishing returns range.

GMM

Banned
So, what are the options for purchasing the 27" screens with the Cinema Display planels from a European based reseller? Shopping outside of Europe can get very expensive due to import taxes and shipping. Best price i have gotten so far from an import would be about 650$/480€.

GMM

Banned
Anyone who have any experience with the DGM IPS-2701WPH? From what i can gather it is a Crossover 2720MDP rebrand, but it is availible from European based resellers.

MrBig

My crossover is finally back to life, after dying 3 months ago :)

img_32842os68.jpg

Going back to that single 16:10 was so aggravating during that time, space being so limited.

What happened was I shipped the monitor to myself via UPS while moving and it came back to me non-functional, turning off immediately after turning on. So i tried to go through the process of an insurance claim with UPS, which was a terrible ordeal and was dragged out over all this time because of course they have no incentive to solve the problem. So a couple days ago I opened up the monitor and inspected it, found that a component had actually burnt up somehow (idk when, it was working perfectly before shipping). I contacted Accessories Whole, where I bought the monitor from, asked them for a replacement, provided a picture, and they sent out a newer revision of the PCB through next day FedEx delivery (from korea to california!) and now it's up and running. It's great when you're working with people that actually want to solve problems. All of my experiences in dealing with AW have been great, I wholly recommend them for anyone interested in buying one of these monitors

My crossover is finally back to life, after dying 3 months ago :)

http://www.abload.de/img/img_32842os68.jpg[/IM]

Going back to that single 16:10 was so aggravating during that time, space being so limited.

What happened was I shipped the monitor to myself via UPS while moving and it came back to me non-functional, turning off immediately after turning on. So i tried to go through the process of an insurance claim with UPS, which was a terrible ordeal and was dragged out over all this time because of course they have no incentive to solve the problem. So a couple days ago I opened up the monitor and inspected it, found that a component had actually burnt up somehow (idk when, it was working perfectly before shipping). I contacted Accessories Whole, where I bought the monitor from, asked them for a replacement, provided a picture, and they sent out a newer revision of the PCB through next day FedEx delivery (from korea to california!) and now it's up and running. It's great when you're working with people that actually want to solve problems. All of my experiences in dealing with AW have been great, I wholly recommend them for anyone interest in buying one of these monitors[/QUOTE]

My first monitor was flickering due to the older blue pcb, I sent the monitor back to AW, they gave me a new one. They're very responsive, and the screen is just beautiful, I'll definetly order a 2nd monitor, a Yamakasi this time, AFAIK they don't have any issues with the pcb.

Btw, we have the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. ;)

tokkun

∀ Narayan;47966848 said:

Follow-up: I completely eliminated the problem by capping the two large inductors on the display control board with epoxy.

Tq4cM0f.jpg

turnbuckle

The monoprice monitor is back in stock.

From slickdeals (I just tested and it works at the time of this post)
Use coupon code CATALOG12 to get 10% off
$390.60 - discount = $351.54 + shipping.

Think I'm gonna pick one up right now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Question, what are the requirements for a video card to be able to support outputting to two monitors. I assume they'd need to have two DVI ports, is there anything else in way of clockspeed or whatnot?

MrBig

IPS is the good one, right? TL the bad
how the fuck... 27 inch ips display for under 400 bucks
The cost of the panel is around $200 iirc. It's the same panel apple uses without the cost of the apple label. The second biggest cost of these monitors is the shipping, which is around $150 and is included with the price. AW offers a free 1 year warranty and will pay to replace things if something goes wrong.
Question, what are the requirements for a video card to be able to support outputting to two monitors. I assume they'd need to have two DVI ports, is there anything else in way of clockspeed or whatnot?

To just use them, any GPU released in the last few years that has 2 DVI dual link ports will be able to drive 2 of them, Kepler GPUs can drive 3 and AMD GPUs can drive some amount more. Check the specifications of your GPU to tell this
In terms of running games on them, yes you will need a powerful GPU to push games at 1440p.

asdad123

What is the consensus on the Auria Model from microcenter? There's some open box models at my local one for $299.96 plus tax. Not sure if I should bite on it.

Im currently using the 27" AOC IPS 1920x1080 monitor.

The cost of the panel is around $200 iirc. It's the same panel apple uses without the cost of the apple label. The second biggest cost of these monitors is the shipping, which is around $150 and is included with the price. AW offers a free 1 year warranty and will pay to replace things if something goes wrong.

That's incredible. They're turning the display market upside down #gamechanger type of stuff

solved: I bought an Auria 27" IPS 60hz 1440p because of this thread.... Fingers crossed.

What is the consensus on the Auria Model from microcenter? There's some open box models at my local one for $299.96 plus tax. Not sure if I should bite on it.

Im currently using the 27" AOC IPS 1920x1080 monitor.

I did not realize my question was asked two post above! Jump in blind with me brother!

The biggest issue is the occasional dead pixels, so make sure you test yours in store if it is open box. There are some reports of sudden death as well, but they are not enough to worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom