• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

anaron

2rglrOO.jpg

PwcgMTY.jpg

Musical Comedy - Created by Aline Brosh McKenna & Rachel Bloom - *PREMIERES MONDAY OCTOBER 12th* before Jane the Virgin

In the new series, which was originally developed for Showtime, Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom) is a successful, driven, and possibly crazy young woman who impulsively gives up everything – her partnership at a prestigious law firm and her upscale apartment in Manhattan – in a desperate attempt to find love and happiness in that exotic hotbed of romance and adventure: suburban West Covina, Calif. (it’s only two hours from the beach! Four in traffic). From CBS Television Studios, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend stars Rachel Bloom (“Robot Chicken”), who also serves as executive producer along with Aline Brosh McKenna (“The Devil Wears Prada”); and Marc Webb (“500 Days of Summer,” “The Amazing Spider-Man” films).
TRAILER

Theme Song

"West Covina" musical number

"Sexy Getting Ready Song" scene from episode 1

"Feeling Kinda Naughty" from episode 2

STARRING:

rSnXQ3f.jpg

Rachel Bloom as Rebecca Bunch.
Santino Fontana as Greg.
Donna Lynne Champlin as Paula.
Vincent Rodriguez III as Josh Chan.
Vella Lovell as Heather.
Pete Gardner as Darryl

‘Crazy Ex Girlfriend’ Cast Charms TV Critics During CW Session, Tap Dances to Tuesday Win

“This is amazing! I have a TV show!” a bubbly Bloom declared after backup dancers set the stage for the cast and their creator. Soon, she and others had the usually reserved room of journalists eating out of their palms.

Critics and reporters in attendance lapped it up and laughed it up, as seemingly every tweet adorned with hashtag #TCA15 during their session was a glowing 140 characters or less.

'Crazy Ex Girlfriend creator explains the crazy to TCA

“I wanted to explore the ‘crazy ex-girlfriend’ and what people mean when they talk about that,” EP/creator Aline Brosh McKenna explained today at the TCA Summer Press Tour. She said what Bloom’s Rebecca Bunch character needs most in the series is a mom. She finds that maternal figure in West Covina, in the character played by Donna Lynne Champlin, who “is crazier than she is,” McKenna said, calling it “the magic of that relationship.” She also mentioned having written the screenplay for The Devil Wears Prada, in which, she said, she explored what it meant to call a woman a “devil” or “bitch.”

REVIEWS - 97% on Rotten Tomatoes

USA TODAY: Fall TV: What shows could rise to top - 1. Crazy Ex Girlfriend

It's crazy that, for the second straight year, the little, once-disposable CW should have the most promising pilot of the new fall broadcast season with the suitably off-kilter Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The way CW is going, you get the feeling the only reason the junior network didn't claim USA TODAY's top two spots — as it did last year with Jane the Virgin and The Flash — is that it only has one new fall show.

Thank goodness, then, for CW's big, wild swing with Crazy, a weekly musical comedy starring multi-talented newcomer Rachel Bloom as a career woman driven slightly mad by love. Created by Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna, who wrote the screenplay for The Devil Wears Prada, Crazy is sweet, sharp, ambitious — and as likely to face-plant as it is to soar, because that's how big swings work. But it's a risk that seems to be very much worth taking, and following.

The Guardian: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and the rise of the TV meta-romcom

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend might look like a lot of movies from the past, with its lead obsessed with getting her old boyfriend back (hello, My Best Friend’s Wedding) and especially the Busby Berkeley musical antics, but it is the future of this genre. It’s wild, it’s ambitious, it’s full of powerful women not only defined by who they love but how far they’re willing to go for it. And, of course, there’s music. The gimmicks, they never hurt.

NY Times' James Poniewozik: "Still, this is a show about willing yourself, even past reason, to hope. Amid an overly cautious fall crop of network series, it could just be crazy enough to work."

AV Club: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a smart, dark delight. A-

Like Jane’s Gina Rodriguez, Bloom is so perfect for the part, emerging as a fully formed character. She grounds Rebecca, but is also fearless when Rebecca needs to live up to the title of the show. The final production number of the pilot, “Sexy Getting Ready Song,” is the perfect example of how much Bloom puts on the line. She dances around in a pair of Spanx and seductively sings about getting ready for a party as if she’s Beyoncé reincarnate—particularly if Beyoncé sang about ass blood.

Vulture: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Is Crazy Good

What Bloom and executive producer Aline Brosh McKenna (who wrote the screenplay for The Devil Wears Prada, among other things) have made is a show that acknowledges the cultural baggage of crazy and also drawn a distinction between that and legitimate mental illness. (Which the show also acknowledges.) The series' cartoonishness, thanks in part to its musical numbers but also its general aesthetic and vibe, lets it play with some very dark ideas — "I told my dad I was having suicidal thoughts!" Rebecca casually mentions — without being a particularly dark show. It's funny and sharp and perceptive, with an emotional depth and magical attitude that reminds me of other outlier shows like Wonderfalls and Ugly Betty. There are threads of Felicity and Ally McBeal, too. The CW is dead on in pairing it with Jane the Virgin.

Slate: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Is Peak TV. The CW has made exactly the right kind of show—nichey, meta, aware that it can’t please everyone—for our TV-over-saturated age.

The show then found its way to The CW, which was looking for something excellent and distinct to pair with its excellent and distinct Jane the Virgin. And thus, a charming, ambitious, utterly singular show about a slightly nuts, but loveable woman who regularly breaks into song has made it onto

Previously.TV: "This is a comedy that manages to be sunny and a little twisted at the same time, and I can't think of anything else quite like that on TV right now."

I found the pilot completely delightful. Bloom is absolutely winning, and avoids making Rebecca too...well, crazy to be likable or relatable. The show smartly makes her extremely smart and good at her job, and even has her acknowledge, with some understandable panic, that she's done a crazy thing. The supporting cast is also especially strong, and the pilot suggests that this will be a true ensemble show, even though it's built around Bloom.

You'll probably know pretty quickly if this is for you or not (say, when Rebecca's mother tells her teenage daughter, "Anything happens, we go right to the abortionist"), but if you like Tina Fey and Amy Schumer, or wish Jane The Virgin had more sex jokes, this is definitely worth checking out. It's nice to see a broadcast network (even one with as little to lose as The CW) taking a chance on something a little different, too.

Variety - "Perhaps foremost, the series almost immediately establishes a distinctive voice, and sets up Bloom as a talent to be reckoned with."

Originally developed for Showtime, “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s” premium-TV origins are apparent in its approach to a lead character whose behavior certainly fits the adjective. Yet as played by Rachel Bloom, she’s a surprisingly endearing figure — wildly impulsive, unhappy and, thankfully, prone to bursting out into musical spectacular-type song. Once again, CW, with its targeted approach to introducing new shows, has delivered one of the fall’s most promising hours, with a series that might not be worth schlepping all the way to West Covina over (unless you’re Crazy), but which does warrant happily plopping your fanny down on the couch.

Post-Gazette Tuned In Crazy for 'Crazy Ex Girlfriend'

By now it’s pretty clear this is a disappointing fall TV season on the broadcast networks, but one of the year’s most unique series has yet to debut. The CW’s “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” (8 p.m. Monday, WPCW) premieres next week, introducing fall’s most unusual series concept and easily the new season’s most promising pilot.

Bill Harris - POSTMEDIA NETWORK:

I have to say, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend – which debuts Monday, Oct. 12 on CW and Showcase – is one of the most unusual TV shows I've seen in a long time, but I mean that in a good way.

It's a musical in the sense that there are two or three original songs per episode. But often when TV viewers hear the term “musical,” they think “corny.” And that is not the case with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which actually is quite sharp and biting in its comic approach.

I was wondering if anyone was going to make the OT, and here it is! Thank you, OP!

This is my most anticipated new show of the fall, everything in it screams win to me. I adored the trailer and it made me check Rachel Bloom's other stuff - she's simply brilliant. Just my style of comedy: music, fun and DARKNESS. If the show is anything like her music videos (and it sure appears to be so), I know I will love it. Critics seem to think so as well, it is one of the highest regarded new shows on the network right now (94% on Rotten Tomatoes)

I just hope it finds an audience... Not everyone is fond of musicals, unfortunately.

Some of Rachel's best songs:
Pictures of Your Dick (NSFW)
Die When I'm Young (dark as hell)
I Steal Pets
Jazz Fever

JCX

All the TV podcasts I listen to have raved about this, which is good, since I would rarely take a chance on such an awful name.

Sober

Nice anaron.

This is probably one of the shows I'm anticipating this year if only because it's so far out there compared to everything else.

anaron

thanks guys and I'm glad to see the JTV fans overlapping interest. :)

I was wondering if anyone was going to make the OT, and here it is! Thank you, OP!

This is my most anticipated new show of the fall, everything in it screams win to me. I adored the trailer and it made me check Rachel Bloom's other stuff - she's simply brilliant. Just my style of comedy: music, fun and DARKNESS. If the show is anything like her music videos (and it sure appears to be so), I know I will love it. Critics seem to think so as well, it is one of the highest regarded new shows on the network right now (94% on Rotten Tomatoes)

I just hope it finds an audience... Not everyone is fond of musicals, unfortunately.

Some of Rachel's best songs:
Pictures of Your Dick (NSFW)
Die When I'm Young (dark as hell)
I Steal Pets
Jazz Fever
agreeeeeeeed!

I love "I was a mermaid but now I'm a popstar."

tm24

I'm watching solely because I gave Jane a chance and fell In love with that show so I'm hoping CW continues the streak

anaron

Slate: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Is Peak TV
The CW has made exactly the right kind of show—nichey, meta, aware that it can’t please everyone—for our TV-over-saturated age.

The show then found its way to The CW, which was looking for something excellent and distinct to pair with its excellent and distinct Jane the Virgin. And thus, a charming, ambitious, utterly singular show about a slightly nuts, but loveable woman who regularly breaks into song has made it onto TV.

Deadline -The CW's
‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ Review: Make A Date With Witty Work In Progress

[url=http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2015/10/09/Tuned-In-Crazy-for-Crazy-Ex-Girlfriend/stories/201510090106]Post-Gazette Tuned In Crazy for 'Crazy Ex Girlfriend

[/url]
By now it’s pretty clear this is a disappointing fall TV season on the broadcast networks, but one of the year’s most unique series has yet to debut. The CW’s “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” (8 p.m. Monday, WPCW) premieres next week, introducing fall’s most unusual series concept and easily the new season’s most promising pilot.

BILL HARRIS, POSTMEDIA NETWORK:

I have to say, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend – which debuts Monday, Oct. 12 on CW and Showcase – is one of the most unusual TV shows I've seen in a long time, but I mean that in a good way.

It's a musical in the sense that there are two or three original songs per episode. But often when TV viewers hear the term “musical,” they think “corny.” And that is not the case with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which actually is quite sharp and biting in its comic approach.

As an OTA TV "subscriber" you won't hear me complaining about a good show on regular TV. I'm setting this one to record, all because of the positive sentiments made in this thread. Nice work!

"This is horrifying, like a scary movie or something, like some nasty ass patriarchal bullshit! You know what, I gotta go apologize to some bitches. I'm forever changed after what I just seen."

That was hilarious. Yup, I'm in.

anaron

As an OTA TV "subscriber" you won't hear me complaining about a good show on regular TV. I'm setting this one to record, all because of the positive sentiments made in this thread. Nice work!
awesome! :)

"This is horrifying, like a scary movie or something, like some nasty ass patriarchal bullshit! You know what, I gotta go apologize to some bitches. I'm forever changed after what I just seen."

That was hilarious. Yup, I'm in.
that and the blood spat after waxing her asshole had me fucking dying.

"body rolls are really hard"

I thought it was just made for promotion but it's actually a scene from the pilot, too. :D

anaron

Previously.TV: "This is a comedy that manages to be sunny and a little twisted at the same time, and I can't think of anything else quite like that on TV right now."

I found the pilot completely delightful. Bloom is absolutely winning, and avoids making Rebecca too...well, crazy to be likable or relatable. The show smartly makes her extremely smart and good at her job, and even has her acknowledge, with some understandable panic, that she's done a crazy thing. The supporting cast is also especially strong, and the pilot suggests that this will be a true ensemble show, even though it's built around Bloom.

You'll probably know pretty quickly if this is for you or not (say, when Rebecca's mother tells her teenage daughter, "Anything happens, we go right to the abortionist"), but if you like Tina Fey and Amy Schumer, or wish Jane The Virgin had more sex jokes, this is definitely worth checking out. It's nice to see a broadcast network (even one with as little to lose as The CW) taking a chance on something a little different, too.

Variety - "Perhaps foremost, the series almost immediately establishes a distinctive voice, and sets up Bloom as a talent to be reckoned with."

Originally developed for Showtime, “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s” premium-TV origins are apparent in its approach to a lead character whose behavior certainly fits the adjective. Yet as played by Rachel Bloom, she’s a surprisingly endearing figure — wildly impulsive, unhappy and, thankfully, prone to bursting out into musical spectacular-type song. Once again, CW, with its targeted approach to introducing new shows, has delivered one of the fall’s most promising hours, with a series that might not be worth schlepping all the way to West Covina over (unless you’re Crazy), but which does warrant happily plopping your fanny down on the couch.

golem

I was initially mostly curious about their portrayal of that cultural hotbed known as West Covina, but glad to see some pretty positive reviews

mm04

I'm watching this for the sole reason I'm a Filipino who grew up around West Covina aka Wesco! It does look fresh and interesting.

anaron

Vulture: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Is Crazy Good

What Bloom and executive producer Aline Brosh McKenna (who wrote the screenplay for The Devil Wears Prada, among other things) have made is a show that acknowledges the cultural baggage of crazy and also drawn a distinction between that and legitimate mental illness. (Which the show also acknowledges.) The series' cartoonishness, thanks in part to its musical numbers but also its general aesthetic and vibe, lets it play with some very dark ideas — "I told my dad I was having suicidal thoughts!" Rebecca casually mentions — without being a particularly dark show. It's funny and sharp and perceptive, with an emotional depth and magical attitude that reminds me of other outlier shows like Wonderfalls and Ugly Betty. There are threads of Felicity and Ally McBeal, too. The CW is dead on in pairing it with Jane the Virgin.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Saw a commercial on this just now and it piqued my interest. Especially when I noticed the male lead was asian and looking it up he's Filipino. Glad to hear the pilot has been getting rave reviews.

anaron

The Guardian: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and the rise of the TV meta-romcom

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend might look like a lot of movies from the past, with its lead obsessed with getting her old boyfriend back (hello, My Best Friend’s Wedding) and especially the Busby Berkeley musical antics, but it is the future of this genre. It’s wild, it’s ambitious, it’s full of powerful women not only defined by who they love but how far they’re willing to go for it. And, of course, there’s music. The gimmicks, they never hurt.

NY Times' James Poniewozik: "Still, this is a show about willing yourself, even past reason, to hope. Amid an overly cautious fall crop of network series, it could just be crazy enough to work."

AV Club: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is a smart, dark delight. A-

Like Jane’s Gina Rodriguez, Bloom is so perfect for the part, emerging as a fully formed character. She grounds Rebecca, but is also fearless when Rebecca needs to live up to the title of the show. The final production number of the pilot, “Sexy Getting Ready Song,” is the perfect example of how much Bloom puts on the line. She dances around in a pair of Spanx and seductively sings about getting ready for a party as if she’s Beyoncé reincarnate—particularly if Beyoncé sang about ass blood.

anaron

yeah sorry about the time fuckup in the thread title! :( I originally thought it followed Jane.

and yeah, the show is already freakin hilarious and fantastic and so dark.

carlsojo

This show is amazing so far. I love the cut from the first song to after commercials with her dumping all her pills down the sink.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This show's dialog is too real for me
lol.gif

OK, this number with Rachel and the paralegal is great even if it's short

Toothless

Favorite pilot I've seen this year. Very fun and funny. I love musicals so this was practically made for me. Rachel Bloom is a real talent.

anaron

"you wanna go drive by his house"

lmao

Fantastic pilot. Everything about it is so up my alley. The potential here is enormous and should it even just maintain the quality of this episode, it should easily end up as one of the best shows on TV.

I've not watched the first episode yet, but I did check to see if it was recorded (it was). I was shocked to see it was a full-hour show. Is that normal or just for the premiere?

That was wonderful and hilarious. Just fantastic from start to finish, and then that final shot appeared and I was laughing hysterically.

"Bitches to apologize to."

Top Bottom