• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

anaron

"I hope this isn't another stunt like your little suicide attempt in law school. you didn't even break your skin and you inconvienced A LOT of people."

omg

this show you guys. THIS SHOW

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well pilots coming up on PST time in a few mins and I just sold this show to some of my family by saying Filipino male lead lol.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I have been a big fan of Bloom for a couple years now. First song I remember was about some kid fantasizing about his teacher's rack and it was hilarious. Definitely has her own voice and I'm glad she's getting a shot with this show.

I just learned about Bloom and this show today of all times, and now I'm a gigantic fan. That was some amazing shit. I love musicals and this is really going to reel me in every week.

This show is awesome.

"Let's see how the guys get ready"

Rachel Bloom is adorable.

Random rapper out of nowhere in the sexy getting ready song.

Nelo Ice

Banned
"This is horrifying, like a scary movie or something, like some nasty ass patriarchal bullshit! You know what, I gotta go apologize to some bitches. I'm forever changed after what I just seen."

That was hilarious. Yup, I'm in.

Just finished the pilot and this slayed me. Also damn it did live up to the hype. And omg the ending hahahaha.

mm04

Really charming and I'll be watching it regularly now. I hope it does well. And you can totally get to the beach in 2 hours even with reasonable traffic. Now it might take you another 2 hours to find parking, but hey.

ivysaur12

Banned
That was fucking phenomenal. The pacing was a little weird (which of course would happen when they had to take it from 30 minutes to 42), but there was so many jokes and it was so inventive and it worked so well.

If you had told me two years ago that The CW would have one of the best comedy blocks on television I would have laughed at you! AND YET HERE WE ARE!

Thank you OP for this post. I'd never have heard about this show without you. It's amazing.

The Simone de Beauvoir reference killed me

And the CW continues its quiet ascent to becoming the not-so-secret best network on broadcast television.
Seriously, they've had some amazing instincts picking oddball scripts with female leads so perfect for their roles that I mourn all those years in the aughts lost on gritty, brooding anti-heroes.

This is the new TV, and I couldn't be happier. Now it's time for everyone else to step up their game.

Tucah

you speak so well
Wow, excellent pilot. Bloom is an incredible lead, the songs were fun and very funny (as was the rest of the show), the cast seems good so far. Yeah, the pacing was a little off, but as ivy mentioned that's to be expected when the pilot was expanded a bit in its move to the CW. If the quality holds up, this into Jane into Fargo (albeit on another network) may make Monday my favorite night of TV.

7FSHzsW.gif

OIEARF6.gif

9RDlTtb.gif

That was great, I could've sworn I've seen the actor who plays Greg before, it was bugging me but according to IMDB I haven't but he was Hans in Frozen. I hope the ratings are good.

Count me out on taint/asshole waxing.

Hamlet

Loved it. Such a great pilot and the ending tag had me in stitches. CW has been really killing it these past couple years.

was finishing up AHS:Hotel on the laptop, while my wife turns on this show...we pause AHS and planned to come back to it while on commercial...couldnt stand this show one bit. We put AHS back on before the first commercial....

once that main girl started singing my wife muted it and goes...i dont think this is my kind of show.

anaron

"@gregorcorp: Animated Diarrhea commercial will have a crossover episode with #CrazyExGirlfriend in season 2"

lmao

every time that commercial came on I kept thinking "Rachel Bloom is probably laughing at this right now."

WE NEED SEASON 2

anaron

The fate of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is dependent on the fate of Jane the Virgin.

Jane pulled a 0.4 for its season 2 premiere. I wonder what Jane's ratings will look like by the spring.

The way I see it: Either both shows will be renewed, or both shows will be cancelled.
Jane definitely isn't getting cancelled yet. it's the closest thing the CW has ever had to a "prestige show" and won the network its first golden globe.

Oddduck

Jane definitely isn't getting cancelled yet. it's the closest thing the CW has ever had to a "prestige show" and won the network its first golden globe.

Jane has a 0% chance of getting canceled.

Hmmm, I guess you're right.

Generally speaking, I do hope more shows like Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend are successful.

They offer something different from a lot of the stuff currently on network television.

I thought the rapper apologizing to "the bitches" was funny, but it kinda broke my suspension of disbelief a bit. If he appeared in Rebecca's fantasy in the bathroom, how is he a real person in the end? Didn't make any sense :D (It's not a huge thing, but it bothers me the same)

I agree that the pacing was a little bit weird and you could clearly see they had to bloat the premiere. The conversation with a boss went on a little too long and the character himself was not that funny.

Some weird, noticeable censorship too. The "cunt" in the opening flashback was replaced rather gracefully, but just bleeping out the rap in Sexy Getting Ready Song was... awkward. If they could bring back the actor for the tag (just his voice, as he clearly wasn't available to shoot the additional scenes in person), they could have just easily re-record the "dicks" and "bullshits" in the verse. I think it would have worked better.

Apart from that, I loved the episode and I am certain I will stick with the show for as long as it lasts...
which will be to my great sadness just this season

Sober

Hmmm, I guess you're right.

Generally speaking, I do hope more shows like Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend are successful.

They offer something different from a lot of the stuff currently on network television.
I would totally watch a cop show if it occasionally broke out into song and dance. Not gonna lie.

Just watched it. Laughed my ass off. Can't wait for the next episode.

It's rare that a show like this would ever get my attention, but thanks to the OP I am hooked!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I thought the first episode was pretty hilarious. Still have the West Covina song stuck in my head hours later.

Bitches To Apologize To was one of the best parts.

-Deimos

That was a pretty fun first episode, both Rebecca and Paula are clearly insane. I wasn't expecting the ratings to be great but those numbers are rough.

anaron

I, for one, am delighted to hear that the audience for American Horror Story: Hotel has deemed this unworthy of even ten minutes of their time.

And I'm fairly certain its first Peabody Award and AFI Award, let's not forget, among other accolades. JtV is far and away the most acclaimed show to ever have blessed The CW with its immaculate presence.

I can't see a show as off kilter as this one building a much bigger audience than the pitiful one it has right now, so fingers crossed that its positive reception - like Jane last year, it seems to have been the best received pilot among critics out of the new crop of network shows thus far - allows it to coast for at least a little bit longer.

I think/pray it will. 'Crazy' has big potential to catch on (COMEDY SONGS) and a lot of the subjects it covers are ripe for "deep TV show discussions."

Top Bottom