• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - created by Rachel Bloom, Mondays 8/7c

anaron

Oh, duh.

iuqrkPu.gif
haha, it's perfect!

thank you!

NewFresh

I really, really hope CW loves the critical response to this show because the ratings... :(

Demo-Profile-2015-Oct-MON.26.png

JTV is likely safe because of it so I hope it'll mean the same for CEG. So much competition on Mondays, especially for female viewership.

I'm not sure my wife can handle liking another show only to see it be canceled so soon. Watch it people!

All the songs this episode cracked me up. Show cracks me up, if only the ratings would improve but think that's pretty impossible at this point.

So, again the replay of the episode did basically the same as the initial airing.

Demo-Profile-2015-Oct-FRI.30.png

I wish it was doing those numbers combined, it still wouldn't result in good ratings even for CW standards but the show would have a better chance of surviving.

Are those just broadcast ratings?

Yeah.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
The hope, I think, is that it gets to a second season and CW gets it on Netflix where it can do it's thing and grow the base.

Worked for Breaking Bad lol.

anaron

The hope, I think, is that it gets to a second season and CW gets it on Netflix where it can do it's thing and grow the base.

Worked for Breaking Bad lol.
I honestly think this show would gain a decent boost the longer it's on and continues to receive the buzz it's getting and therefore actually made aware to people.

Scribble

Argh. I feel that whoever isn't supporting this show is incredibly basic. Does anyone know how I can support this show even more? Like, I feel it's a cultural tragedy that this show could be cancelled.

I have friends I definitely have friends. Friends, friends, friendly friends -- time to meet my friends.

anaron

do you folks think we should change the thread title to something that more accurately reflects how amazing the show is?

So, again the replay of the episode did basically the same as the initial airing.

Demo-Profile-2015-Oct-FRI.30.png

I wish it was doing those numbers combined, it still wouldn't result in good ratings even for CW standards but the show would have a better chance of surviving.

Yeah.

Then who cares? What is this, 2008? Unless it's somehow not picking up viewers on Hulu than this seems like pretty meaningless information. Ms. Marvel craters every month on Diamond Charts and I think the like 21st consecutive issue is coming out this month?

Stop living in the past, man
lmao

anaron

Then who cares? What is this, 2008? Unless it's somehow not picking up viewers on Hulu than this seems like pretty meaningless information. Ms. Marvel craters every month on Diamond Charts and I think the like 21st consecutive issue is coming out this month?

Stop living in the past, man
lmao
What a weird post. Ms. Marvel isn't at all comparable considering it does better than a shitload of other bigger names and is probably the most acclaimed and awarded new big two series. Plus people have to buy comics in order to read them.

Network TV shows can't survive without at least some sort of consistent foundation to build on and until CXG is garnering much more (deserved) attention, it's in no way safe, unfortunately.

Zoe

There have been 10 episodes filmed and at least one more already in the pipeline. Can we stop talking as if it's already gone? At least wait till the new year or something.

anaron

There have been 10 episodes filmed and at least one more already in the pipeline. Can we stop talking as if it's already gone? At least wait till the new year or something.
I agree. it's very defeatist and deters new viewers from watching.

Though I disagree because I felt like the last episode was the best one since the pilot:

"@poniewozik: If you're borderline on CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND, watch tonight's. Weird/funny, best since the pilot, really feels like it's coming into its own."

good press is still good press

anaron

Really great article on the show and why its title isn't actually a bad one

The Daily Beast: 'CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND’ IS SMART, SEXY, UNAPOLOGETICALLY FEMINIST TV

There is near universal consensus that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has a terrible title. There is also near universal consensus that it’s an excellent show. Only one of those things is true.

The CW’s new musical comedy is easily the most underwatched show of the fall season, and its seemingly ill-advised title is actually perfect despite how regressive it might seem. Sometimes, to destroy something, you have to dive deep into its heart, like the Millennium Falcon into the Death Star, and blow it up from the inside. And that’s exactly what Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does with the loaded stereotype in its title.

On its surface, the plot sounds almost aggressively anti-feminist. A woman who detonates her career on a whim for a man who is barely aware that she exists? Not in the enlightened 2010s, when female comic leads from Leslie Knope to Mindy Lahiri all find a way to balance their personal lives with high-powered careers. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend turns its back on that tradition, and it’s getting some backlash for it.

“This oppresses women!” someone scrawled on a subway ad campaign for the show, which shows Bloom channelling the Overly Attached Girlfriend next to the tagline “Never. Let. Go.” Another subway critic wrote, “Stupid show makes women all look dumb” but this criticism was crossed out by a defender who replaced it with: “She’s a lead actress! Good for her!”

On Twitter, Bloom suggested that those responsible for the graffiti actually, you know, watch her show to decide for themselves:

If they did, they’d discover that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is one of the smartest and savviest shows on TV.
The instinct to be alarmed by the show’s advertising is probably a good one, informed by the treatment of obsessive female characters in the past. But it’s time to trust female creators to tell nuanced stories about flawed women without getting skittish about stereotypes. With Bloom behind the helm, this show isn't a mockery of all women—it’s a relatable portrait of just one.

that's what i'm trying to do man

that shit bums me out

we have a perfect gem of television where all of a sudden the most annoying charac on a great show gets the best song of the episode (FACE YOUR FEAR!!!! HOLY FUCK!!! THE BEST EVER.)

why ain't we just talk about that all week man

Sober

Yeah I recommended this to my friend whose probably the most feminist friend I have so I hope to hear from her about it. She'd certainly enjoy it from what I know of her tastes.

Because talking about that danger might motivate people to put some effort into getting more to watch it? It's what I've been trying to do for weeks now.

Because talking about that danger might motivate people to put some effort into getting more to watch it? It's what I've been trying to do for weeks now.

If you've done it for weeks and haven't moved the needle (likely because you're not a prominent TV critic) why not relax and enjoy what we have?

If you've done it for weeks and haven't moved the needle (likely because you're not a prominent TV critic) why not relax and enjoy what we have?
Who says I'm not relaxed and enjoying what "we" have?

Tell you what, I'll stop posting about ratings/viewership here so you can ignore it and pretend TV ratings don't matter in 2015. Since I'm not "moving the needle" I guess I and everyone else should give up trying to get more people to watch it because unless they have tens of thousands viewers/followers it doesn't matter. The cap below will be the last viewership related thing I post.

Even Supergirl will be watching CEG.

fUyypUp.png

Tell you what, I'll stop posting about ratings/viewership here so you can ignore it and pretend TV ratings don't matter in 2015. Since I'm not "moving the needle" I guess I and everyone else should give up trying to get more people to watch it because unless they have tens of thousands viewers/followers it doesn't matter. The cap below will be the last viewership related thing I post.

fUyypUp.png

Yeesh. I was just trying to be helpful.

I guess I'll stick to watching the show instead of watching the show and trying to talk to other people who watch the show about the show.

Yeesh. I was just trying to be helpful.

I guess I'll stick to watching the show instead of watching the show and trying to talk to other people who watch the show about the show.

I don't mean to come off harsh and I guess I should go back and reedit my edit but I'm already in a crappy mood. It is possible to discuss the show needing more viewers while still discussing and enjoying it. I mean technically none of us matter to the TV ratings unless we have a Nielsen box anyway and it took networks years to really consider DVR numbers (or well, maybe just C3) and sure streaming matters some but that TV ad revenue still matters more to networks.

This show is destined to at least get one Golden Globe nomination, maybe two and maybe win like JTV/Gina Rodriguez did last year.

anaron

fUyypUp.png

kween Melissa!

Top Bottom