• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Movie officially announced (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they just combine the first 2 books instead of ignoring the first. Theres a lot in the first one that is iconic and sets the mood for stuff to come.

Nether!

How was the Wind Through the Keyhole? Never did pick that up.

It's great.
It spends most of the book in a story being told in a flashback, though.

[The Ka-Tet after book 4 [Roland tells another story from his past [a story told within that story] The end of Roland's story] The resumption of the main story on to book 5]

Rootbeer

Banned
I love the first book, but I think it might be hard to kickstart a mega franchise based on its story. They would have to do some severe alterations.

The books are kind of a slow burn in that way. Things start amping up over the course of the first three books, and only then do you really see what you are dealing with. This largely has to do with the way King went about writing them. It was very much an evolution. And though he went back and released a revised version of Book 1 to help smooth things out, the changes were mild.

As long as they circle back around to it at some point and do it justice, i'm fine with whatever angle they are going with.

I hope they just combine the first 2 books instead of ignoring the first. Theres a lot in the first one that is iconic and sets the mood for stuff to come.

I would hope at the very least, they show the events of The Gunslinger as flashbacks. I did find it difficult to get through initially, but it's really, really important to the overall story.

Grimsen

So now my next question with the casting.
How will Susannah/Odetta/Detta work with a non-white Roland? That was a pretty big part of the book.

I hope it is not a PG-13 mess.

Even if Roland is a black man, he wouldn't be from the same world as Susannah. That would make for some pretty good, unique storytelling IMO.

I have to say GAF is the only place I've ever heard any slights against The Gunslinger, and I always thought everyone considered it one of the pillars of the series. Personally, I like every book up until Wolves, and feel the Dark Tower both drags and rushes at the same time. But The Gunslinger is a perfect little book, that could almost stand by itself as a great little piece of pulp.

How was the Wind Through the Keyhole? Never did pick that up.

I agree. I mean, King wrote The Gunslinger when he was 19, so it has some flaws, but it's my favorite of the series. The Drawing of the Three is a close second.

Wind Through the Keyhole is great. I actually listened to the audiobook and King himself narrated it, which was fantastic. His Maine accent can be a bit grating at times but I absolutely love listening to authors narrate their own works.

I'm beyond excited. I'm still a bit cautiously optimistic because I feel like we went through all this years ago, but the movie appears to have more traction this time around. Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey are two of my favorite actors so I couldn't be more pleased with the casting so far. Throw in Aaron Paul, Uzo Aduba for Susannah (my dream casting, probably wouldn't happen but whatever) and a not annoying child to play Jake and we're all set.

atr0cious

Odetta can still call him a
honk mafa cuz she crazy

Yea, I think playing with her schizophrenia can still lead to the same affect, just her interacting with Eddie will also help this. But I don't know if a studio is gonna want to touch that whole area of controversy, I especially didn't think so when Ron Howard was on the project, but we shall see.

I agree. I mean, King wrote The Gunslinger when he was 19, so it has some flaws, but it's my favorite of the series. The Drawing of the Three is a close second.

Wind Through the Keyhole is great. I actually listened to the audiobook and King himself narrated it, which was fantastic. His Maine accent can be a bit grating at times but I absolutely love listening to authors narrate their own works.

I'm beyond excited. I'm still a bit cautiously optimistic because I feel like we went through all this years ago, but the movie appears to have more traction this time around. Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey are two of my favorite actors so I couldn't be more pleased with the casting so far. Throw in Aaron Paul, Uzo Aduba for Susannah (my dream casting, probably wouldn't happen but whatever) and a not annoying child to play Jake and we're all set.

I'm currently going through the audio books, so glad to hear the WTtK is good, although King's narration may throw me off after having listened to the other voice actor do the books.

Kingbrave

This is a couple hours old but I didn't see anything
yjgQMIM.jpg

zeshakag

Aaron Paul was always my fantasy cast for Eddie Dean even though IMO he doesn't really physically remind me of the Eddie Dean from the books. Plus I always thought that he wouldn't wanna be typecast into a role like that after breaking bad. But if he's down, I'm totally down. Aaron Paul receiving his gunslinger training from Idris Elba sounds really awesome.

ApharmdX

Banned
The only way to make it work would be to
switch the races of Eddie and Susannah or ditch the racism completely.

It'd be hard to make Susannah white. Initially I thought, well with Roland being black, what about making her from a white disadvantaged subculture like Appalachia? But you miss the duality of Susan that way, you only get the Detta.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I wonder if people who had trouble with the first book read the old version instead of the revised one.

Wait, there is a revised version of The Gunslinger? My copy is over twenty years old, should I go out and get a new one? How revised is it?

Wait, there is a revised version of The Gunslinger? My copy is over twenty years old, should I go out and get a new one? How revised is it?

Afaik it's mostly dialect changes. The Mid-World language stuff that he uses later was added to the first one. Don't know what else though as I've only read the revised version.

Man I really hope this works out and we get the some Talisman movies too.

I'm currently going through the audio books, so glad to hear the WTtK is good, although King's narration may throw me off after having listened to the other voice actor do the books.

It does feel a bit weird when they switch actors. They'll switch again after WTtK too.

George Guidall. The Gunslinger, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower

Frank Muller. The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass

DrSlek

I think Elba could make a great Roland. I'm currently listening to Wolves of the Calla on Audible. I know Roland's blue eyes are an important feature....so either CGI them onto Elba, or have him wear contacts. Problem solved.

Dirca

I've read this is releasing in January next year. Jan-Feb are generally "dump months" for movies. Very few movies released then have gone on to be hits, though there have been some exceptions.

Corpekata

Banned
I've read this is releasing in January next year. Jan-Feb are generally "dump months" for movies. Very few movies released then have gone on to be hits, though there have been some exceptions.

It's been moved to February, which doesn't have near the stigma. 50 Shades, John Wick, Maze Runner sequels are all releasing in Feb and likely to be at least solid hits (if not neccessarily good movies, like 50 Shades).

sn00zer

This is fantastic casting. I can't imagine better casting, unless you could make Clint Eastwood 40 again. Maybe.

I'm extremely hyped for this movie.
Brolin woulda been good as well

Really fucking curious how they will do Sussanah considering she is literally a horrible stereotype

EDIT: Would love if this ends with them
boarding Blane the Mono

DBL EDIT: Aaron Paul as Eddie Dean would just be Jesse, dunno what else he could do.

pargonta

Don't they need more than like 6 months of post production? February is an okay month but they're trying to make this movie in less than a year.. seems rushed to me.

Simo

Dark Tower filming, Magnificent Seven poster, Red Dead leak...truly a blessed day for Westerns, or whatever Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror/Western you wanna mark The Dark Tower as. lol

Rootbeer

Banned
Already filming... sheesh. Barely any movement on this for damn near a decade and now shit is moving real fast.

I hope they release some photos soon.

Simo

Already filming... sheesh. Barely any movement on this for damn near a decade and now shit is moving real fast.

I hope they release some photos soon.

Sony had their presentation at CinemaCon last night. No cast photos but they did show some production artwork as well as the book covers when they brought up The Dark Tower to the audience.

ReAxion

Afaik it's mostly dialect changes. The Mid-World language stuff that he uses later was added to the first one. Don't know what else though as I've only read the revised version.

It's cleaned up and made to align more with the following books.

Oh, I found a complete list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower:_The_Gunslinger#Revised_and_Expanded_edition

Man I really hope this works out and we get the some Talisman movies too.

It does feel a bit weird when they switch actors. They'll switch again after WTtK too.

George Guidall. The Gunslinger, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower

Frank Muller. The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass
Guidall's voice annoys me so much. :( maybe it's just because I was so used to how awesome Muller did every voice.

Simo

Oh wow. Love her in Vikings. Could she be...Susan? Naaaah....

Seems like this guy is doing prosthetic work on the film and posted some sculpts/molds of a demonic nun?
https://www.instagram.com/wallerchad/

Set pic here but I can't figure out what it is, been a while since I read the books...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEd9D7COm_d/?taken-by=soniaphyto

EDIT: Did you guys see Jackie Earle Haley got cast too?! I didn't see it posted in here unless I missed it but they said he was cast as
" Sayre, a menacing humanoid who is the vampire leader and kowtows to no one."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom