• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower trailer will hit tomorrow. Motion posters released

Status
Not open for further replies.

gforguava

The problem with the fancy loading in that clip is that it does the horrible 'slow something down to show how fast it is' thing. If he threw the speed loaders in the air and in real time just caught them with his gun it would look fine.

Or you could just ditch the superhuman speed at which he does it altogether.

Jedi2016

Cautiously optimistic.

But I have to say, I always pictured Roland wearing a hat. I can't remember if the book ever really said if he had a hat or not.

Cautiously optimistic.

But I have to say, I always pictured Roland wearing a hat. I can't remember if the book ever really said if he had a hat or not.

Not sure, but a quick Google did show some book cover art with him wearing a hat, so possibly. A hat does seem right for Roland

By the way, how will Detta work if Roland isn't white like in the novels? Maybe make her a racist white woman?

If they copy the o detta stuff over directly and just make her white its pretty awful reverse white washing. At this point itvs better of just make her a terrible handicapped woman.

To clarify, the biggest issue is a white racist woman character would lose the underlaying repressed psycological stuff. In that case, just make a new character with a new name.

DrSlek

The problem with the fancy loading in that clip is that it does the horrible 'slow something down to show how fast it is' thing. If he threw the speed loaders in the air and in real time just caught them with his gun it would look fine.

I think they should have kept Roland doing the finger trick described in The Gunslinger. Ambidextrously firing one gun while holstering and loading the other.

Varna

That reload is way less impressive than what the book actually describes

Looks like some real boilerplate stuff

Yes. I get such a vivid image of the Battle of Tull... Rolands fingers sizzling as reloads those hot chambers.

The Detta thing won't be an issue because I really doubt she will exist in the same way she did in the second Book. She will most likely be the more subdued version that exist after that.

It's really hard for me to get excited about this project. The ending of the books completely lends itself to whatever they want to do with the story but I suspect these movies will lack all the bite the series is known for. Not to mentioned the expanded universe which adds another dimension to the story (I just read Insomnia and holy shit!). Also, and I know it's not the most loved thing about the series but I love story deconstruction that goes on in the later books. I was pretty neutral on it when I first read the series, but I've grown to really like it over the years. You know the movies ain't even going to touch it.

Anyhow, best case scenario we get something akin to a theme park ride that give us some watered down version of the best setpieces of the series.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am going through the first book right now. Wondering if I should watch the trailer. Seeing that it's sequel and stars Jake, I am already spoiled to some extent.
Also, disappointed that it's a sequel.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Cautiously optimistic.

The gunslinger iconography and the environment pretty much mandate a hat.

I am going through the first book right now. Wondering if I should watch the trailer. Seeing that it's sequel and stars Jake, I am already spoiler to some extent.
Also, disappointed that it's a sequel.

Don't be. It's the best decision they could have possibly made.

Varna

Does that mean the books aren't as good going forward? :(

The books are amazing. It would be a huge spoiler to explain why the idea of a sequel is an extremely good one. Take my word on this.

Also I wouldn't worry much about spoilers. One interesting aspects of the Dark Tower books is how they spoil a lot of events far in advance themselves. It's that anticipation that makes the books a great read.

EGM1966

Two leads are good but I don't know. The book series is one of the few I ditched - sorry fans but I felt the whole thing jumped the rails and shat the bed as it progressed, going from an interesting tale written very differently from standard King to worst bloated excess King on drugs - yet I feel there core idea remains strong.

I'd like to hope the film's good and, from my perspective, fixes all the rail jumping mayhem the books descended into, but that seems like the height of optimism.

Hopefully the trailer gives some view as to which way it's going.

I thought he was just fucking quick as shit at reloading...no need to fling bullets in the air.

That reload is way less impressive than what the book actually describes

Looks like some real boilerplate stuff

AND THEN...

Third Teaser Trailer: https://youtu.be/vpfb_HRNc-M

Someone said something about reloading... :p

That's a gunslinger, yeah.

eso76

Also I wouldn't worry much about spoilers. One interesting aspects of the Dark Tower books is how they spoil a lot of events far in advance themselves. It's that anticipation that makes the books a great read.

Classic King trick.
Although it's more foreshadowing and teasing than actual spoiling

Not quite how it's described in the book but is what King describes in the book even actually humanly possible? Firing one six shooter with one hand while reloading another six shooter with the other? It sounds so bitchin but I never thought it was a real thing a real person could do (though if there's some kind of fancy competition where a person really does it I would LOVE to see it)

Does that mean the books aren't as good going forward? :(

Read the first four books and then just imagine the ending. I promise you that even the worst idea you come up with will be better than what King wrote.

So many red flags, but then they give us "I kill with my heart" and the third trailer with the quick-reload and "the Man in Black fled across the desert". Either way I guess I'm all in for this.

DrSlek

So if I'm understanding the trailer correctly the Dark Tower is no longer the nexus of the multiverse that keeps all of creation....existing. It's now a generic barrier that keeps generic evil away.

Fucking great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom