• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Day Before... interested?

CamHostage

I'll be honest though, I'm surprised there's even a functional game here at all.

Making an "interactive experience" these days is not necessarily that hard. Buy some assets, build up a cityscape map, drop in an avatar, assign shooting mechanics and camera systems... it's obviously not that simple, but if you know what you're doing, you can make a game like other games using materials inspired by other games (if not ripped from other games) and have a rough interactive action playground after doing some work.

Making a "game" is a whole other matter...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Making an "interactive experience" these days is not necessarily that hard.
Correct, but there are plenty of examples out there that aren't even that, lol. At least around launch. I just imagined this would be a situation where no one would even be able to connect and no one would see anything else other than the main menu.

Well, it seems like The Day Before did release, but what is available really isn't very impressive.

From the start, I think Fntastic were utterly amazed at the support and interest they generated and never could have envisaged the scrutiny they would be under.
It looks like everything we saw - the off road stuff in the countryside, the more sophisticated RPG elements, the customisation, the huge open world city - were all a lie, a trick, as none of it appears as advertised.

It's like selling everyone a racing game with hundreds of cars and dozens of laser scanned tracks only to release something where you are racing shopping trolleys around a supermarket car park.
There's also a real feeling that they've tried everything to make sure the 2 hour Steam refund window expires before you realise what's really here...which is as unscrupulous and shabby as it gets.

The overwhelming consensus amongst those who've played the early access offering is the game is an empty, boring, flawed experience that is not the game that was promised.

Last edited:
I'll say this, as a beta, it has a foundation to grow upon that is better than most games. Just depends if they'll actually do it.
Early access isn't a beta, is it?

It doesn't even feel like a beta, based on what everyone is saying, much less early access.

This game is being universally panned.

I read somewhere that they only have a maximum server capacity for about 5000 players, in a game that had hundreds of thousands of people wish-listing it and which has already seen tens of thousands buy in day one.

In other words, statistically, you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting into a game at the moment.

Granted, as player numbers free fall, and things normalise, it should improve in that regard.

But, still, everything I've seen suggests it's an empty, soulless experience completely unrelated to the one everyone was sold during the hyping phase a couple of years ago.

Making an "interactive experience" these days is not necessarily that hard. Buy some assets, build up a cityscape map, drop in an avatar, assign shooting mechanics and camera systems... it's obviously not that simple, but if you know what you're doing, you can make a game like other games using materials inspired by other games (if not ripped from other games) and have a rough interactive action playground after doing some work.

Making a "game" is a whole other matter...
I think they did exactly what you said.

They were so busy making it LOOK like a game they forgot to actually MAKE a game.

Ribi

It doesn't even feel like a beta, based on what everyone is saying, much less early access.

This game is being universally panned.

I read somewhere that they only have a maximum server capacity for about 5000 players, in a game that had hundreds of thousands of people wish-listing it and which has already seen tens of thousands buy in day one.

In other words, statistically, you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting into a game at the moment.

Granted, as player numbers free fall, and things normalise, it should improve in that regard.

But, still, everything I've seen suggests it's an empty, soulless experience completely unrelated to the one everyone was sold during the hyping phase a couple of years ago.
Ea can be whatever it wants to be. Ea can be beta or alpha, the point is just to make money to fund the making of the game

poodaddy

Haven't bought it yet but it looks pretty solid for Early Access.
Ray Charles Laugh GIF

Eiknarf

Banned
Thinking back to those early trailers…and how impressed everyone was… We have to stop thinking these studios/developers can come out of nowhere and make something that looks and plays better than what Capcom, Naughty Dog or Santa Monica can do. Even, like, the current “trailers” for that horror game, PROJECT ILL!!! If Capcom can’t make a Resident Evil game look and play like that, how can these two guys???

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Ea can be whatever it wants to be. Ea can be beta or alpha, the point is just to make money to fund the making of the game
I see.

I thought a beta was different, that it was much more of a test rather than simply an early launch.

I suppose, ultimately, it doesn't make much difference if the end result is the mess we have now.

Thinking back to those early trailers…and how impressed everyone was… We have to stop thinking these studios/developers can come out of nowhere and make something that looks and plays better than what Capcom, Naughty Dog or Santa Monica can do. Even, like, the current “trailers” for that horror game, PROJECT ILL!!! If Capcom can’t make a Resident Evil game look and play like that, how can these two guys???
Exactly.

People have expected way too much, although Fntastic made their bed by selling them something that they never had the ability to deliver on.

The developers are supposedly looking to patch the game any day, but that'll only help performance it can't change the fundamental issues with the game - namely the absence of any meaningful content

Last edited:
Early Access can be between alpha and beta.

But, I doubt they will do anything with this game. The ship sailed, and the first trailers were most likely captured with CGI and such. There was never a game until the day they delayed it for 'trademark' issues.
I think they'll just bail out from it as they did with their previous titles once it no longer becomes profitable.

Eiknarf

Banned
Here’s a list of games that I saw on YouTube that are supposedly “coming out”.

Full disclosure; the video that started this list was THE DAY BEFORE. After seeing footage years ago of this upcoming game called THE DAY BEFORE, I started a list of games to look out for!!! Now I’m starting to think they’re all bogus. Or at least half of them.

ARE ANY OF THESE LEGIT/REAL?

A Quiet Place

Aftermath

Airtight City

Arc Raiders

Arizona Sunshine 2

Ashfall

Blade Runner 2033

Blight Survival

Bodycam

The Bornless

Boundary

Clockwork Revolution

Contain

Crimson Desert

Crysis 4

Dead City

Enenra

Ghost Runner 2

The Grass of Genesis (like Chinese Tomb Raider)

Gray

Helldivers 2

ILL

Into The Dead

Judas

Kingdom The Blood

Lost Fragment

Luna Abyss

Mafia 4

Moodang (Shaman)

Moon Mystery

Negative Atmosphere

Neo Berlin 2087

No More Room in Hell 2

Nobody’s Left

Out of Action

Once Human

Phantom Blade Zero

Pioneer

Pine Harbor

Pragmata

Project LLL

Project M

Project TH

Project Z

Retrieval

Rise of the Ronin

Rooted

Six Days in Fallujah

SPINE

Stray Souls

Super 1337

Tenet of the Spark

TL

Towers of Aghasba

Transience

Unrecord

The Valley of Static

Vigilancer 2099

Vorax

Vreski’s Game

Wronged Us

CamHostage

In case you haven't already seen, the entire city map is a 300 dollar unreal engine pack you can get right now. The devs legit only made the barn house, main hub, and player items. The maps, assets, everything isn't theirs. City Map: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/american-city-packs-bundle/reviews

Eh, be careful with over-simplifying what marketplace assets do and don't do for a product...

That's not the "entire map"; it's an asset pack for generating buildings and setting rules for traffic and road structure. It's basically a small-scale version of tools used to make Matrix Awakens (and these assets and many tools are also offered by Epic in its own City Sample.)

Using a procedural building generator and city grid doesn't mean no work went into a production. This just takes care of the tedious work of making every block and floor by hand. That's what these asset packs and tools are there for, so that developers can make use of common content (and pay for it, albeit this developer deserves way more than what's being paid for these assets for how much they do) to make unique productions. This is modern game production, that developers gig for parts used by other development projects.

...Yes, Day Before is still a snakey, misleading marketing move with a ton of traced, unoriginal work in the sell yet seemingly little actual gameplay underneath what they're selling, (big surprise,) but the in-game material seems to be appropriately sourced. This is the modern state of game production -- people will look like people, builldings will look like buidings, everything will potentially look and work like it should because lots of somebodies out there have been doing the scanning and science to make commonplace reality work commonly in virtual space -- and buyers have to be smarter about how much trust they put into pretty graphics and expansive landscapes/cityscapes.

There's still got to be a game in there.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Full disclosure; the video that started this list was THE DAY BEFORE. After seeing footage years ago of this upcoming game called THE DAY BEFORE, I started a list of games to look out for!!! Now I’m starting to think they’re all bogus. Or at least half of them.

Yo, I don't think here is the right place for this. Delete and start a new thread, it's something to maybe go through if you want to do a sanity check on games in your wishlist, that's a fair topic but not really for here.

We can talk about how "real" game announcements are in general in regards to how they marketed this game, but there's no way or reason to get into discussions about all of these other games on this list (including a few that are out or are e.access and you can go try.) This thread is specific to something as talk-worthy as The Day Before.

Last edited:

A Quiet Place

Aftermath

Airtight City

Arc Raiders

Arizona Sunshine 2

Ashfall

Blade Runner 2033

Blight Survival

Bodycam

The Bornless

Boundary

Clockwork Revolution

Contain

Crimson Desert

Crysis 4

Dead City

Enenra

Ghost Runner 2

Gray

Helldivers 2

ILL

Into The Dead

Judas

Kingdom The Blood

Lost Fragment

Luna Abyss

Mafia 4

Moodang (Shaman)

Moon Mystery

Negative Atmosphere

Neo Berlin 2087

No More Room in Hell 2

Nobody’s Left

Out of Action

Once Human

Phantom Blade Zero

Pioneer

Pine Harbor

Pragmata

Project LLL

Project M

Project TH

Project Z

Retrieval

Rise of the Ronin

Rooted

Six Days in Fallujah

SPINE

Stray Souls

Super 1337

Tenet of the Spark

TL

Towers of Aghasba

Transience

Unrecord

The Valley of Static

Vigilancer 2099

Vorax

Vreski’s Game

Wronged Us
I don't know about everything on that list, but I played the Arc Raiders beta, and I'm sure Once Human is available to play right now.

winjer

Gold Member
The game is already at an 18% user score on Steam.
I didn't think we could have such a strong contender to worst game of the year, so close to the end of 2023.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Ribi

A Quiet Place

Aftermath

Airtight City

Arc Raiders

Arizona Sunshine 2

Ashfall

Blade Runner 2033

Blight Survival

Bodycam

The Bornless

Boundary

Clockwork Revolution

Contain

Crimson Desert

Crysis 4

Dead City

Enenra

Ghost Runner 2

Gray

Helldivers 2

ILL

Into The Dead

Judas

Kingdom The Blood

Lost Fragment

Luna Abyss

Mafia 4

Moodang (Shaman)

Moon Mystery

Negative Atmosphere

Neo Berlin 2087

No More Room in Hell 2

Nobody’s Left

Out of Action

Once Human

Phantom Blade Zero

Pioneer

Pine Harbor

Pragmata

Project LLL

Project M

Project TH

Project Z

Retrieval

Rise of the Ronin

Rooted

Six Days in Fallujah

SPINE

Stray Souls

Super 1337

Tenet of the Spark

TL

Towers of Aghasba

Transience

Unrecord

The Valley of Static

Vigilancer 2099

Vorax

Vreski’s Game

Wronged Us
Six days in Fallujah is in early access with great reviews on steam and Arizona Sunshine 2 just got released

RavageX

not gonna do the math, but some guy on reddit did and it's apparently around 5 mil income.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1372880

Think I'm gonna quit my job and start an asset flip gamedev studio
Hmmm.....a plan is forming....

How about a few of us pool together and make, "The Week After the Day Before." and at the same time release a prequel, "The day before the Week After." A sequel will simply be, "The Day after the Week before."

That will at least get us a few $100,000 in our pockets.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Why are people so blindly stupid as to go all in on a "game" with a questionable history from a developer with no track record, does everyone have to be day 1? I look at something like this and go hmmmmm yeah I'll check back 6mths after release and see how they're doing not purchase it on release and then whinge about it, that's like buying some moody gold offa this geezer, getting home then wondering why the gold is washing off AND then whining about it

bar onlyfoolsandhorses GIF by britbox

Why are people so blindly stupid as to go all in on a "game" with a questionable history from a developer with no track record, does everyone have to be day 1? I look at something like this and go hmmmmm yeah I'll check back 6mths after release and see how they're doing not purchase it on release and then whinge about it, that's like buying some moody gold offa this geezer, getting home then wondering why the gold is washing off AND then whining about it

I think a lot of people jumped in because they were making content, and I'm assuming some just didn't keep up to date on the consensus amongst the You Tube community and the like.

Laieon

The game is already at an 18% user score on Steam.
I didn't think we could have such a strong contender to worst game of the year, so close to the end of 2023.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

Gollum devs thought they had it in the bag, then King Kong came along. King Kong devs thought they had it in the bag, then this happened.

Bartski

Gold Member
just keeps getting better

tl: dr released game is an alpha from pre 2021, the actual game seen on previous trailers exists but is held hostage by devs who didn't get paid and can't speak about it due to NDA

Last edited:

demigod

Because Steam refunds allow this. Don’t like a game you just bought? REFUND!

DanielG165

False advertising is genuinely illegal, no matter if the product that was marketed to consumers exists “somewhere”. There definitely should be some action taken with this game, because the situation here is unbelievable.

Gamezone

Gold Member
False advertising is genuinely illegal, no matter if the product that was marketed to consumers exists “somewhere”. There definitely should be some action taken with this game, because the situation here is unbelievable.
Valve should have held them accountable, but there is simply too much crap on Steam for them to even care. People should just refund the game and move on. Don't make these people rich because of this scam.

Top Bottom